• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did console gaming as a whole pivot into "games + narratives" instead of "bigger arcade games" in the 90s?

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Quarter eating frustration generators don't work quite as well at home. The average player didn't have access to the internet and a credit card to be nickel and dimed. Without "micro" transactions, publishers had to ship complete products that satisfied buyers at the price they were sold for.

BlackTron

This is kind of unfortunate because to be honest, I hate the story in most games. Even most of the games that I had as a teenager and loved playing through the story, in retrospect it was terrible and I only enjoyed it because I was a dumb 14 year old. There are exceptions of course, but I feel by and large the industry hasn't moved past this "dumbass teenager approved" standard of story, ESPECIALLY with all the anime style stuff.

Why the big change? I dunno but man it was way easier for Sony to market those fake ass FF7 cutscenes masquerading as the real game. In the same way it was seen as dated not to use 3D graphics, perhaps nobody wanted to get left out in the cold in this way either.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Probably Hollywood envy.

Then again, everybody loves a good story. That's the power of a good storytelling. It's so much harder to make a unique original game play that's entirely "fun" to just play - but if you have good story behind it... it can enhance or boost the game play, even if it alone may not be the strongest.... like a good sauce to a dish.

Also it helps to reach out to the masses, because it's story driven - it's easier to understand and give a try, and good interesting story attracts people, just like great graphics attracts people. Interactive fun, can't be really shown easily, until you pickup your controller and play.... but the story can be shown as synopsis or teaser trailer or whatnot.

Hollywood envy was at its peak in the mid-90s, with the mainstreaming of the CD format, which led to the use of FMV and voice acting. Of course back then, it was horrible, but that's when the talk about the two industries melding was at its peak. After that, though, games developed their own language and style - go back and play games like GTA3, Halo, Ratchet & Clank, Jak 2, etc. The games look crude, but in terms of style, VA, camera cuts, the way the story is structured relative to the gameplay, etc., it's pretty much the same as what we have today.

yep and a BR games doesnt even need to be well made to make money h1z1 cough cough. Most people didint finish GTA4 because the begginging for the 1st 5/7 hours is very slow most of it is driving around in generic cars and running errands.
The vast majority of people don't finish the games they started. Cheevo tracking confirms this. You can say this about single player game, really. I say this as one of the few who did complete the story of GTA4 - great game!

Last edited:

PrimeTime

I think it’s based on three things:

-Game Developers: A desire for gaming to achieve a level of respect it didn’t have compared to movies
-Gamers: A deeper need for immersion.
-Publisher: A need/desire to broaden the audience

Quarter eating frustration generators don't work quite as well at home. The average player didn't have access to the internet and a credit card to be nickel and dimed. Without "micro" transactions, publishers had to ship complete products that satisfied buyers at the price they were sold for.
Arcade ports -- with infinite continues and not much else added -- sold quite well on consoles and PC from the 70s into the mid 90s. Some arcade games were quarter-munchers, true, but some arcade games were (and still are) very fun to play on their own merits.

After that, though, games developed their own language and style - go back and play games like GTA3, Halo, Ratchet & Clank, Jak 2, etc. The games look crude, but in terms of style, VA, camera cuts, the way the story is structured relative to the gameplay, etc., it's pretty much the same as what we have today.
MM no in jak 2 you sit in a cut scene for at most 2 mins the your back to your gameplay no walking section and no starting at some ones face in hopes the player crys same thing with Ratchet and clank, halo and GTA3 quick cutscenese then back to game play with people talking to you over a UI headset.

The vast majority of people don't finish the games they started. Cheevo tracking confirms this. You can say this about single player game, really. I say this as one of the few who did complete the story of GTA4 - great game!
the majority of people loaded up GTA4 activated cheats messed around then left and I know people personally that dropped the game in the 1st 5 hours do to its slow pace. Do most people not finish there games maybe but I dont think its a straight and cut and dry answer.

Paracelsus

He's right, but look at the dislikes.
Gaming in terms of gameplay has peaked many years ago, and it's hard to near impossible to do better.

The mainstream is easier to wow through cinematic setpieces and graphics, every time people are reminded actual games exist (Sekiro) the medium gets angry.
If a game looks realistic and has a mature story then it's sophisticated, which leads to the medium being perceived as mature. Forget about how it plays.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I just think that most people are raised on TV and movies and it's far, FAR easier to make interactive movies than it is to actually delve deeply into the mechanics on uninvented interactive entertainment.

That's why I respect Nintendo so much, because they actually really try to make this work. That's why I respect games like Starfox Zero which was 10 years ahead of it's time, and was a genuine attempt to make new interactive gaming.

Nintendo also pushes unique physical peripherals and hardware a lot, which is in keeping with the arcade tradition.

The answer to your question is laziness and lack of courage to innovate.

lock2k

Banned
I don't know but I'm still a total arcade gamer. I like thrills and arcade gameplay is the best for me. Fighters, beat em ups, racers (arcade and kart, fuck realistic shit), platformers, puzzle, rhythm and shmups - those are my bread and butter. I do like fast paced shooters as well and I've been replaying a lot of Doom and Wolfenstein (the old ones). Most story driven games are a borefest to me. I loved the PS1 for example but a good 80% of what I played was comprised of fighters and racers, not Final Fantasys or Resident Evils.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Or there's the argument that just being able to save your game is what caused it all. And you see it in Zelda on NES immediately.

Mobile games should be emulating arcade in terms of f2p mechanics and microtransactions being similar to quarters in terms of monetization. But they still have stories because you can save.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don't know, I feel I still get Arcade feel in my Japanese games I play today. With western games I enjoy some of them but most of the time they are much more concern about giving us immersion and realism even if the combat has to take a back seat like R* did with RDR2.

Wonko_C

One word: Westernization. I perceived that the whole thing started to turn when Microsoft entered the market and brought a lot of formerly PC developers to make games for their console.

Not that it's a bad thing those types of games exist, but outside of indies we don't really see the big companies doing games in genres that were pretty big before. I want to play AAA shmups, light gun shooters, beat 'em ups, racing games that are not simulators nor simcades, sidescrollers, rhythm games, puzzle games, etc.

I want the same care put into... let's say a new Lemmings game as in TLOU2. That was the case back in the 8/16-bit days, wasn't it? In those years equal care and production values were put into a big RPG like Final Fantasy IV as in a one hour long action game like Ninja Warriors... at least it felt like that to me back then.

Give me games (that aren't F2P nor multiplayer centric) where you control something other than just plain humans. I wanna play as tanks, airplanes, submarines, penguins, monkeys, sentient slabs of wood, marbles, airplanes, dragons, aliens, and clear lots of stages with them.

Last edited:

recma12

CD ROM and FMV pushed cinematic games to another level, thank Sony.

Yeah, as an older guy I agree with this. The PS1 kinda brought consoles to the features of PC CD-ROM games.

Because gaming matures.

Arcade can be great and fun, but ultimately it's a shallow experience.

I don't think shallow experiences are dead.
When you check out the game charts you will see CoD, GTA and FIFA/Madden at the very top, every year.
No offense to these games, but these games are so popular because they appeal to both the hardcore and (shallow) casual crowd.

Obviously, you can get super serious in FIFA, but lots of people buy that game to just play Barcelona-Real with their buddy over and over.
You can get deep into in CoD, but lots of people buy that game to just play TDM for an hour every night.
And GTA.... well, lots of people just buy that to drive around the city and fuck shit up.
These games offer both shallowness and depth, depending on what the customer wants to do.

Don't think that Arcade gameplay has died, it still lives on as part of a bigger package (online, story, various modes, customization etc).

Psykodad

Banned
Yeah, as an older guy I agree with this. The PS1 kinda brought consoles to the features of PC CD-ROM games.

I don't think shallow experiences are dead.
When you check out the game charts you will see CoD, GTA and FIFA/Madden at the very top, every year.
No offense to these games, but these games are so popular because they appeal to both the hardcore and (shallow) casual crowd.

Obviously, you can get super serious in FIFA, but lots of people buy that game to just play Barcelona-Real with their buddy over and over.
You can get deep into in CoD, but lots of people buy that game to just play TDM for an hour every night.
And GTA.... well, lots of people just buy that to drive around the city and fuck shit up.
These games offer both shallowness and depth, depending on what the customer wants to do.

Don't think that Arcade gameplay has died, it still lives on as part of a bigger package (online, story, various modes, customization etc).
I never said shallow experiences are dead, nor did I say they're bad.

Last edited:

recma12

Since this is a hardcore gaming forum I guess it's no wonder that we all forgot to mention iOS and Android games lol

I guess Candy Crush is as Arcade-y as it gets... "INSERT COIN" aspect is also still allive in the mobile space.

I never said shallow experiences are dead, nor did I say they're bad.

Ah fuck, my bad. Somehow quoted the wrong post.
Agree with you 100%.
One of the reasosn Dreamcast died was because SEGA believed that shallow Arcade ports could still compete in the full price game space.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Since this is a hardcore gaming forum I guess it's no wonder that we all forgot to mention iOS and Android games lol

I guess Candy Crush is as Arcade-y as it gets... "INSERT COIN" aspect is also still allive in the mobile space.

Ah fuck, my bad. Somehow quoted the wrong post.
Agree with you 100%.
One of the reasosn Dreamcast died was because SEGA believed that shallow Arcade ports could still compete in the full price game space.
Ready 2 Rumble is one of the best launch games ever.

Fight me.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Fight me.
Okay, you ask for it......
giphy.gif

cormack12

Gold Member
I think initially developers used cut scenes as small exposition and to have cool moments that were not able to be accomplished in engine/real-time. In the strive for realistic graphics they started to be used to complement emerging 3D graphics. They were pre-rendered and looked good so they elevated the experience with signature wow moments. Now, we have 2/3 minute cut scenes frequently. Some of them are necessary as hidden loading screens, but some feel a bit self indulgent. I think now a lot of these scenes are there to feed into the creative director's vision that they're delivering something deep.

This is supported by the subset of gamers that want to feel their hobby is more than simple entertainment. There is this big search for validity and I don't know why. It's like video games have to be recognised as art, they have to be recognised as a gruondbreaking medium, they have to be perceived as the work of auteurs. It's a different skillset, which is why we end up with games like TLoU being lauded as the citizen Kane of gaming. Why can't it just be appreciated in its own medium? Most - if not all - creative directors in gaming are not equipped to meet this challenge which means they play mediocre movie director. Probably the saddest thing is that we've never had a richer set of visionaries in gaming who can push the medium forward in other ways, but we are left with QTE's, large cut scenes, mashing buttons to turn wheels for 'immersion' which reduce the medium as a whole. They are trying to ape films and be movies that you play. They need to distiguish themselves in other ways, because at the moment the sleight of hand is akin to playing minor chords over a sad film on youtube. They are largely carried by heavy budget on VA, orchestra etc.

Just to finish on a slightly different note as well, I think this extends beyond cut scenes and game writing in general. You have your overall arc/narrative and then the sb plots/narratives. One thing that is rising in RPG's is the confusion of meaningful sidequest with heavy backstory. When you're on your third 'Press X' to continue dialog then you've already failed. Most people just start mashing past these. Replacing fetch quests with long drawn out excuses to do a fetch quest is not a fix. This needs a breath of fresh air through the industry, it's a new skillset. Too many writers are dressing up quests with novella's in the hope they become the bloody baron. Its not the same. Purpose, Motivation, Reward - sidequests can be presented much quicker.

Aren't the most popular modern games the same as old arcade games, in essence?

There's no story in Fortnite, or COD multiplayer, etc. You play the game because you enjoy playing the game. There's no great overarching narrative to speak of - just that there are other bad guys and you use the tools at your disposal to try to win, because it's fun.

The essence of gaming hasn't really changed. The most popular gaming experiences aren't necessarily heavily narrative driven. This is true even for a lot of Nintendo games - they give you some light story but mostly hook you in with great gameplay. And people play them because of the enjoyable gameplay experiences. So it's not so different from arcades.

Scotty W

The introduction of 3d has a lot to do with it .Prior to this era, it was difficult to do an immersive cinematic experience. With this new tech comes the desire to amp up the narrative intensity, simply because it is something new with a lot of potential.

A similar point could be made with two and three dimensional games. 3d came out and everyone wanted to do that and everyone stopped doing 2d until it was realized people still wanted that, and so it came back. The difference with arcade games is that when they came back, they came back as mobile and browser games.

Last edited:

Kazza

A great OP and lots of interesting replies as well. For me, although I do enjoy the occasional AAA modern game, I find that I do need to mix in a large amount of retro titles in between titles. I had to housesit/petsit for a friend for ta couple of weeks and took the opportunity to partake in some PS4 first party games while there (I don't own one myself). Although they are all good games in and of themselves, playing God of War, Uncharted: Lost Legacy and Spiderman back to back (not to completion, obviously) definitely got a little dull. A few palette cleansers in the form of old arcade games or 16/32 games do the world of good, and a few weeks later I'm ready for a big modern narrative experience again.

I'm lucky in that there is a large catalogue of old arcade, PS1/2 etc games that I never got to play back when they were new, so I always have something to play, even if there aren't many new arcade-like experiences being created nowadays.

Cutty Flam

Banned
To put it as simply as possible, it is because a story, if done immaculately well, will immortalize a game and that ensure an obscene profit

A perfect story will render the game an instant classic. Possibly, if done right, it may even be considered something genius and/or legendary. A story like that, is something people will always come back to.
Re-visit. So I think developers must have seen bigger things in store for not only their games, but their vision and impact as well

To me....a story can change the world in so many ways. The possibilities are virtually endless. It has such a profound impact upon people

I think arcade games will always have their place, but ultimately what I think truly heightens a game to unfathomable greatness, can be its story. I have many things to say about this and connecting my views to the game, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. But that will need its own thread I am sure. It would be like an essay, that's how much space I would need to adequately explain my thesis regarding the power of story in a video game

ZywyPL

Banned
That's what most devs always wanted, they just never had the tools//technology/enough processing power to do so. Kojima made a GDC presentation years ago about MGS series development, on how he had to overcome the systems limits, how new hardware and software always helped pushing the boundaries:

And now the devs can just make a full mo-cap and tell whatever story they want, stories they always wanted to tell the way they wanted to tell, but couldn't do so until now.

However, that being said...

There's no story in Fortnite, or COD multiplayer, etc. You play the game because you enjoy playing the game. There's no great overarching narrative to speak of - just that there are other bad guys and you use the tools at your disposal to try to win, because it's fun.

The essence of gaming hasn't really changed. The most popular gaming experiences aren't necessarily heavily narrative driven. This is true even for a lot of Nintendo games - they give you some light story but mostly hook you in with great gameplay. And people play them because of the enjoyable gameplay experiences. So it's not so different from arcades.

This. At the end of the day, pure, fun gameplay stomps everything else, the most played games are always the ones with the simple. the most basic gameplay, and smooth, responsive controls, where people spend hundreds, if not thousands of hours, simply because just playing the games is such a damn fun.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Many reasons.

Pure arcade experiences were kinda stagnating. There’s only so much you can do with shooters, fighting games, racing games and rhythm games. Yeah, people will always enjoy a new one, but for any really good one there were literal dozens of clones saturating the market. You don’t get a new audience out of that. There’s a reason the video games industry only really exploded when consoles became fully 3D-capable. The arcade experience was always going to be limited, expensive, and repetitive.

Then there’s the unquestionable draw people have towards stories, and moving pictures especially. A lot of games had stories and context beyond the few actions permitted by the gameplay even before the mid-90s, but the stylized, symbolic nature of most of those games’ graphics were a turn-off for many, and the stories were often too simple. Most people apparently need a good balance of narrative and purposeful action to get interested in a video game that’s more sophisticated than the simplest arcade experiences. Mindlessly shooting spaceships or moving Pac-Man through a maze to gobble pills is fine for most (which is why the early 80s’ arcades were loved by adults too), but the moment you introduce something more complex, a lot of people can’t cope with 2D stylized graphics. If the story is “real”, the images must look “real”, too.

We saw this with the slew of Full Motion Video games that were all the rage for a couple of seasons. The gameplay was often abysmal, yet just having actual video-recorded scenes was enough to get people to buy CD-ROM drives for their PCs and buy games they’d probably never even get close to finishing. This looked exactly what the CD-ROM had been made for. There was basically no other reason for games to come on CD at the time. But suddenly, CDs became necessary for video games to “advance”.

Then when CD-based console came, the most basic way of using all that storage was video. So devs did their best to fill those CDs with video, and as crude as those videos were, they were exactly what most people needed to finally “believe” the stories that games offered. So in turn stories had to become more complex, darker, grittier, more “mature”. And a new audience was conquered.

I think it boils down to this. Most people enjoy pure arcade experiences as simple timewasters, but when a game gets more complex, they need an element of reality to get involved. It’s the same reason why adults never cared for superhero cartoons, but they’re now flocking to cinemas to watch the umpteenth MCU movie. It’s also the reason why GTA was moderately successful in 2D and a top-down perspective, but took the world by storm when it made the jump to 3D. Just making a pure arcade game with realistic graphics isn’t enough. There needs to be a synergy of narrative and realistic-looking images. Like, if it looks real, the game has to give you a purpose, otherwise it’s not interesting. It’s no wonder games like Candy Crush Saga and the various endless runners still rely on simple, colored graphics - people associate that with something that doesn’t have to “make sense” beyond the simple actions that take place onscreen.

Also, when games started to become bigger, simpler games started to look like they weren’t worth the money; unfortunately, those simpler games kept asking the same price as the biggest releases for a long time. On the Game Boy, the shortest platformer would cost as much as Zelda. On the PS2, Fantavision and Katamari Damacy would cost as much as Onimusha and Kingdom Hearts. So the purest arcade experiences were slowly but surely pushed off the mainstream market because you had to choose what to invest your money in. It wasn’t until digital games became a thing that an adjustment in pricing was finally made, but by then it was too late for what is now the indie market, and now it’s not hard to understand why most people only care for the big cinematic AAA releases.

I wish Puzzle Games had many different modes on what you can do with that Puzzle game rather than the typical Endless Mode, Arcade Mode and Score Mode.

Experimentation can sometimes go a long way in finding new love for Puzzle games.

I love Windjammers but the mini games are pretty terrible so you basically play the main game until you are bored, but if they could do interesting things with the mode such as trying to hit specific Target Areas in a Time Survival mode or something, it entices people to try and better the score and if you have different arrengements within that mode to keep the Arenas interesting then you have a longer game without dedicating too much development time. I don't know why some games don't make these modes that change up the formula.

Geometry Wars is a fantastic example of trying different things and I think it is a great game with a lot of content that sadly got ignored by Wii users. I will forever keep my copy because of it.

Last edited:
I wish Puzzle Games had many different modes on what you can do with that Puzzle game rather than the typical Endless Mode, Arcade Mode and Score Mode.

Experimentation can sometimes go a long way in finding new love for Puzzle games.

I love Windjammers but the mini games are pretty terrible so you basically play the main game until you are bored, but if they could do interesting things with the mode such as trying to hit specific Target Areas in a Time Survival mode or something, it entices people to try and better the score and if you have different arrengements within that mode to keep the Arenas interesting then you have a longer game without dedicating too much development time. I don't know why some games don't make these modes that change up the formula.

Geometry Wars is a fantastic example of trying different things and I think it is a great game with a lot of content that sadly got ignored by Wii users. I will forever keep my copy because of it.
You're speakin' my language.

If a dev is going to make an "arcade-like experience" nowadays, they need to add some meat to the skeleton. Extra modes, a lot of variant options, and so forth. Puyo Puyo Tetris nailed this. It remains one of the best bang-for-your-buck puzzle buys of the generation. For myself, Meteos wore that crown last gen. For others it was Planet Puzzle League or Bookworm or whatever. The "puzzle RPGs" -- like Puzzles & Dragons, Puzzle Quest, and M&M Clash of Heroes -- tend to nail this idea, too. Road Not Taken is another brilliant puzzle game that melds with traditional "roguelike" mechanics to keep it interesting.

Adding in modes and expanding the scope of the game takes imagination and talent, though. And let's not forget Vs mode. Some puzzle games just aren't suited for it, but I tend to be charitable toward Vs puzzle modes as long as its fair and devious. Heck, I still boot up Columns III and play w my kids because the Vs mode is that good.

As an aside, a good buddy of mine is going through Geometry Wars Galaxies. They packed so many modes and variants into one game, it's crazy.

Last edited:
To be fair, they started going away from simple arcade games in the late 80s. Its no coincidence that long running series like Zelda, Metroid, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Castlevania, and Dragon Quest all originate between 1985 and 1988. People wanted more from games and developers had more to say. The medium had matured and people embraced it. I wouldn't be gaming today if all we had were arcade shooters and fighting games. I personally don't even touch those genres.

Wonko_C

I generally tend to avoid playing 100+ hour long games like The Witcher 3, yet somehow I end up investing that same amount of time in games like Streets of Rage 4, which you can beat in a little more than an hour.

I like games for the challenge, where beating the game is just the beginning. then little by little you master the game, by beating it on harder difficulties first, then you know you totally dominate when you start beating it without losing continues or lives.

But that doesn't mean I don't play big games at all. God of War was an amazing adventure, but even that game had great play control, which is what keeps me glued to a game in the end. I mean if a game's controls are not to my taste/do not satisfy me that means playing it feels like a chore, so why keep playing?

Edit: Forgot fuckin' Doom Eternal, such a AAA masterpiece. The game feels like the Devil May Cry/Bayonetta of FPS, and it is my GOTY so far.

Last edited:
I think initially developers used cut scenes as small exposition and to have cool moments that were not able to be accomplished in engine/real-time. In the strive for realistic graphics they started to be used to complement emerging 3D graphics. They were pre-rendered and looked good so they elevated the experience with signature wow moments. Now, we have 2/3 minute cut scenes frequently. Some of them are necessary as hidden loading screens, but some feel a bit self indulgent. I think now a lot of these scenes are there to feed into the creative director's vision that they're delivering something deep.

This is supported by the subset of gamers that want to feel their hobby is more than simple entertainment. There is this big search for validity and I don't know why. It's like video games have to be recognised as art, they have to be recognised as a gruondbreaking medium, they have to be perceived as the work of auteurs. It's a different skillset, which is why we end up with games like TLoU being lauded as the citizen Kane of gaming. Why can't it just be appreciated in its own medium? Most - if not all - creative directors in gaming are not equipped to meet this challenge which means they play mediocre movie director. Probably the saddest thing is that we've never had a richer set of visionaries in gaming who can push the medium forward in other ways, but we are left with QTE's, large cut scenes, mashing buttons to turn wheels for 'immersion' which reduce the medium as a whole. They are trying to ape films and be movies that you play. They need to distiguish themselves in other ways, because at the moment the sleight of hand is akin to playing minor chords over a sad film on youtube. They are largely carried by heavy budget on VA, orchestra etc.

Just to finish on a slightly different note as well, I think this extends beyond cut scenes and game writing in general. You have your overall arc/narrative and then the sb plots/narratives. One thing that is rising in RPG's is the confusion of meaningful sidequest with heavy backstory. When you're on your third 'Press X' to continue dialog then you've already failed. Most people just start mashing past these. Replacing fetch quests with long drawn out excuses to do a fetch quest is not a fix. This needs a breath of fresh air through the industry, it's a new skillset. Too many writers are dressing up quests with novella's in the hope they become the bloody baron. Its not the same. Purpose, Motivation, Reward - sidequests can be presented much quicker.
Spot on 100% this is something people dont get there are section in games were these parts happen but its do to the loading. You going through two small hallways why the characters chat in a monotone voice is done completely on purpose. The people who say no there doing it for loading purpose is a lie because in RE3R,RE5 all the slow walking sections are skipable.

There's no story in Fortnite, or COD multiplayer, etc.
I would say COD,Battlefield and games like that are expansions of the 1st person doom evolution of games.
Gears and halo are apart of the arena shooter evolution that quake started.
Fortnite and most BR games are either of these BR games at large is just a giant game of hide and seek with microtransations. BR games play as slow as molasses and most people just run and hide for 30+ mins at a time. No arcade game or Traditional fps or even area shooter would have the play sit in a room for 30+ mins just to avoid encounters or hide all match. But thats what BR games encourage amoung other things.

Top Bottom