• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did Sony remove Linux from the PS3 slim?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
TheSeks said:
Don't buy a Slim in that case. It drops SACD but gains some other benefit (video, IIRC?) in the tradeoff.

Slim got bitstreams Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA audio plus Bravia sync.

iirc PS3 lost SACD with the 40GB units ( later 2 usbs 80GB units) , only units with SACD are the original 60GB/20GB and the older 80GBs ( with 4-usbs and GS chip ).

Since they sell these boxes at a loss they probably did not want to subsidized some geeks that were buying up a ton of them and creating a massively parallel processing farm.

One could really build a kick ass CGI rendering farm with a bunch of networked PS3s running Linux.

Build a farm, write a movie, and they go up against Sony Animation pictures with Sony subsidizing your server farm. :D

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The Faceless Master said:
So... If someone really wanted to, could they just pay Sony a few Million to make a new set of drivers? Or does it need continues upkeeping?

Though I guess at that point it would be cheaper to commission the productions of several thousand more Original PS3s.

hirokazu

Visualante said:
I don't think you know much about the PS3's capabilities. It was far from crippled, it had the GPU cut out in an attempt to stop piracy but having access to the Cell for programming hardware accelerated tasks has a huge range of applications that are desirable.

Can you cite that?
Uh, I thought Sony said it was Nvidia who did not want access to the GPU, not Sony wanting to prevent piracy. With the current hypervisor, I don't think piracy was the issue either.

I know there's full access to the CELL. But not having GPU access still means the hardware is nerfed.

Mandoric

Banned
Combichristoffersen said:
No, the PS2 slim lost the HDD expansion bay. Some later revisions of the PS1 also lost a port that the original PS1 had.

The slim toploading NES lost AV out (but somehow, the Famicom they put in the same case gained it).

If Sony's shipping only a special firmware set, there's the obvious savings on testing (even though otherOS needs to be checked, it can break game or vice-versa and CS departments are likely to be a lot easier to work with on patching.) The security and access restrictions can also be dialed down like they are on other controlled-distribution units. A price can be negotiated that's far above PS3 retail even though it's far below other Cell workstations. And probably most importantly, the sales rep sealing the deal can have a PR flack on speed-dial to get press releases about it out, whereas a $50k order of PS3s on Dell or Newegg or Amazon goes unnoticed except by bank fraud departments and UPS drivers.

Alphahawk said:
Because it was something that they could cut that 99.9% of users wouldn't even notice. Should of cut it before they cut BC IMHO.
there was no benefit to cutting it on hardware that still supported it, it only made sense when they had hardware that would require new drivers.

hirokazu

Speevy said:
So the owners of still-working Kutaragistations could feel proud and elite.
Yes, my GS+EE sporting, 4 USB porting Kutaragistation is definitely elite. Except by BD drive is fucked and awaiting repair/replacement. :/

jonabbey said:
Somebody has to be the first to make a system that can't be effectively attacked, after all. :D
I think the point of computer security and encryption isn't to make an unbreakable system, it's to make it unbreakable for long enough that when it is broken, the benefits obtained are near worthless.

In the PS3's case, I guess that point in time is after the console is no longer on market.

didn 't the gamecube lose component video output?
Yeah, it did.

Schrade

TheSeks said:
Don't buy a Slim in that case. It drops SACD but gains some other benefit (video, IIRC?) in the tradeoff.
SACD was cut when they released the 40 GB PS3 model. i.e. it was long gone by the time the slim came out.

The thing that the slim gains is HDMI CEC that allows you to control the PS3 via your HDTV's remote control over HDMI.

Edit: Totobeni beat me.

Polk

Visualante said:
Can anyone shed light on this matter? It's something that has bugged me since I heard the news.
They want it to be cracked by 2011 so it could start selling better then Wii every month.

Alx

Visualante said:
The cell can do so much raw processing, having one beside your desktop PC rendering out work or calculating stuff is actually viable. Stop posting what you heard as fact it really just makes you look silly to those who actually use it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLte5f34ya8

Well it's not first-hand experience, but I had an interview with a guy who did his PhD on parrallel computing, and used cells among other processors. He told me that the PS3 + Sony SDK was not interesting for his purposes before it didn't allow for direct SIMD instructions calls, and you need them to really benefit from the cell power (sorry if it doesn't make sense, I don't know much about cell programming so I write that from memory).

DrXym

I don't see any legitimate reason to remove support. They'd have to update the hypervisor code for the slim, which represents some effort but other than that it should be no different to what is already there. I'm sure Yellowdog would even take on the work for free since they're most likely to benefit.

For Sony Linux represents good will to the homebrew scene and a way to split homebrewers and pirates into two distinct groups. Look at cfw on PSP to see how a vast number of pirates can hide behind the comparatively tiny set of homebrewers.

I don't see IBM objecting either. The university who straps together 50 PS3s today is far more likely to order IBM kit tomorrow.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DrXym said:
I don't see IBM objecting either. The university who straps together 50 PS3s today is far more likely to order IBM kit tomorrow.

I dunno. Part of the reason for interest in Cell is how cheap access is via PS3.

eBay supply likely won't dry up soon for university researchers anyway...so they won't immediately have to turn to IBM's more expensive solutions.

If IBM's servers were their only option, I think they wouldn't bother.

Alx said:
Well it's not first-hand experience, but I had an interview with a guy who did his PhD on parrallel computing, and used cells among other processors. He told me that the PS3 + Sony SDK was not interesting for his purposes before it didn't allow for direct SIMD instructions calls, and you need them to really benefit from the cell power (sorry if it doesn't make sense, I don't know much about cell programming so I write that from memory).

Not sure what he's referring to there, but there's quite a lot of people out there using them for research.

So whatever the significance of that if it's true, it doesn't really dent Visualante's claim.

soco

i think it's just a business thing without any real influence from 3rd parties.

For every PS3 used in research, Sony won't be making back the money at the moment in games purchases. plus support (just in leaving the option in and testing that it works with every single release) is probably something they could easily cut.

i don't think there was really a large enough interest in anything that would've benefitted Sony financially, and i imagine that's the bottom line. it's very unlikely IBM or any other company had anything to do with it.

segasonic

Visualante said:
Do you think that other investors in Cell technology. Such as IBM might be a little pissed at Sony selling devices that are near equivalent to their own more expensive products?
No, since Cell technology is pretty much dead outside of game consoles...

OuterWorldVoice said:
Just another reason 60 Gigs are liek gold.
That's if they still work, since the majority of people I know with a 60GB had theirs break. However, its understandable due to being an older model and having the most internal components (more components pretty much means a higher chance of failure). It even seems like a lower percentage of 20GB consoles break (from those I know who own one). That's honestly why I would not recommend a 60GB PS3 to anyone these days (I wouldn't be against someone buying the 80GB with an emulated EE).

Back to the topic, I just feel Sony removed it because it wasn't really needed. They are trying to make it more of a game console, and it probably didn't make sense to include it. With those who used it since it wasn't anything special.

Brofist

BocoDragon said:
Yes I always thought that one of the more interesting reasons for why PS3 is not hacked (and piracy enabled) is because, with Linux installation, the homebrew tinkerers can already do most of the things they'd want to.

Now I suppose there'll be more incentive to hack it.. But I'm not worried about piracy... By the time BR burners because popular, I believe the heyday of PS3 software sales will be over.

Blu-ray burners are cheaper now than DVD burners were when the PS2 was hacked.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Because linux support is a nice Slideshow Checkbox that's not longer needed.

Just like memory card readers, 4 usb ports, gigabit ethernet routing (that never made into the final product) and countless other features.

Combichristoffersen said:
No, the PS2 slim lost the HDD expansion bay. Some later revisions of the PS1 also lost a port that the original PS1 had.

The Genesis model 2 revision lost the headphone jack and had a pretty serious downgrade in sound quality due to cheaper chips.

The original revision of the PS1 actually had distinct composite plugs on the back- the yellow, red, and white ports- so you could use any cables you wanted to hook it up. later revisions removed it in favor of the multi-out.

Later gamecubes lost the plug/port that allowed them to do 480p.

This happens all the time.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Just another reason 60 Gigs are liek gold.

Early 80 gigs (Motorstorm and Metal Gear pack ins) were essentially the same as the 60s.

TheSeks said:
Only feature that's been cut that people (well, most people) DO give a shit about is PS2 BC. And that was cut to save some cash because people bitched about the $400-500 price-tag. :|

And people were right to bitch about the price tag, which was idiotic. The correct solution by Sony was to cut the price and keep BC only in whatever the more expensive SKU was so people could see the correlation and choose between price and BC, whichever was more important to them.

The Linux feature really wasn't important so I don't see any reason not to cut that, though. And I laugh at the three or four people who were actually disappointed that they cut SA-CD.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
ChackanKun said:
Because it was unnecessary.

Video game systems by virtue of their existence are unnecessary. Even in the context of its original function, nothing the PS3 does besides strictly playing games is a necessity.

I suppose next they should take out the weather and news function, the What's New app, and DVD compatibility.

Cruzader

Banned
Visualante said:
The cell can do so much raw processing, having one beside your desktop PC rendering out work or calculating stuff is actually viable. Stop posting what you heard as fact it really just makes you look silly to those who actually use it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLte5f34ya8

Your typical gaming nerd(me and you + Sekoku lol and GAF) wont be calculating shit on the PS3. I have an old PS3 with Linux support and never touched that shit. Sony was right on removing to save $$ on the consumer.

androvsky

The cost associated with developing hypervisor drivers is the only mildly plausible reason I've seen. Problem is that they still have to develop those drivers to a certain extent for the GameOS, and it's hardly a per-unit cost as was implied by the deleted post. The drivers at the linux level could easily be handled by the community (like they do with most drivers in the linux kernel) and Sony knows it.

And the whole point of the slim was that they'd stop taking a big per-unit loss, so it's not like they were losing a lot of money subsidizing researchers. And for many uses, the PS3 just doesn't have enough memory. Want to make a render farm with them? :lol Good for cracking encryption and other esoteric pure math stuff, no so good with large data sets. IBM always had a market for their big iron.

The lack of video acceleration was a big problem for a lot of projects, but the company that makes Mesa, a free software opengl renderer used by most linux distros, sponsered a Cell-accelerated driver. Unfortunately, it came at the same time the team wanted to completely rework the driver model, so the Cell driver got delayed a year or two. And it still sucks last I checked. And with Sony cutting back on linux support, I don't see it going anywhere. IBM donated a Cell-accelerated SDL library, but that was just for 2D apps, and they did it just before the Slim came out.

I think the real reason Sony dropped linux support is they want to get an app marketplace going. Why support free linux for everyone when they can sell everyone the apps? Only problem is that I doubt they'll allow half the apps people want (emulators, XBMC), and I doubt the SDKs will be terribly easy to get a hold of.

androvsky

Naked Snake said:
Weren't those features added to all PS3s in later firmwares?

Not bitstreaming. All PS3s have been able to decode those audio streams and send them as linear PCM over HDMI for at least a year now, but only the Slim can bitstream them.

Schrade

Manmademan said:
Early 80 gigs (Motorstorm and Metal Gear pack ins) were essentially the same as the 60s.
Not really. They were missing the PS2 Graphics Synthesizer. They're "essentially" the same as the Euro PS3 60 Gigs, though. They're just not the same as the North America/Japanese PS3 60 Gigs.

yurinka

androvsky said:
I think the real reason Sony dropped linux support is they want to get an app marketplace going. Why support free linux for everyone when they can sell everyone the apps? Only problem is that I doubt they'll allow half the apps people want (emulators, XBMC), and I doubt the SDKs will be terribly easy to get a hold of.
In their Media / Investor Conference document (Nov 19th 2009) they mention a non-game PSN development kit to be released in Q2 2010. So I think they will open something like an AppStore without games for PSN, or at least they will have 3rd party apps.

EXGN said:
Probably so pirates couldn't use it to find some way to backwards engineer some security work around.
I predict piracy in PS3 as soon as PS3 HW becomes profitable. And the return of PS2 BC once PS2 HW stops being profitable (when PS3 HW profitable, too).

DemonNite said:
never was interested in linux but still cool to see things like this...

Ray tracing + head tracking in real time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYNTIyYIJBQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SDGG9HhbgQ

As I remember, Gran Turismo 5 will support headtracking.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
didn 't the gamecube lose component video output?
actually it lost digital AV out. one of the applications of that was component video.

as re why sony ditched otherOS support - the answer can be only one - it did not make monetary sense for them. whatever the benefits were (indy and academia getting familiar with the architecture, popularizing the brand among non-gaming audiences, etc) - that did not make up for the expenditures. we could argue all we want how nice the feature was for the (select) consumer, but at the end the bottomline controls the industry - sony are not champions of the technological progress of mankind, they are just another for-profit organization.

Top Bottom