• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did the story of Battlefield 4 end the way that it did?

Prologue

Felt like I was at the halfway point and the credits start rolling. DICE wants us to take the single player seriously but whats up with ending the story like that?

Plus the levels were very inconsistent graphically. Towards the middle/end of the game, I actually felt like I was playing on the PS4.

Felt like I was at the halfway point and the credits start rolling. DICE wants us to take the single player seriously but whats up with ending the story like that?

Plus the levels were very inconsistent graphically. Towards the middle/end of the game, I actually felt like I was playing on the PS4.

so they can release Battlefield 4-2

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
i thought this was more about the backlash than the game's plot

protip: just don't play these games for the story

I wish I could tell you, the game has deleted my single player save twice now.

The multiplayer on PS4 is pretty fun though.

antonz

Probably so they wouldn't piss china off too much as retarded as the story was.

China is going to take out our bases in Japan and pearl harbor etc and the US is just going to fall apart militarily and not respond?

An attack of that caliber would wake up the US in a way not even 9/11 did

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ran out of time, I wager. Just like the multiplayer.

Seems the title REALLY needed to stay off last-gen consoles and be in the oven for longer than the year EA gave them.

China is going to take out our bases in Japan and pearl harbor etc and the US is just going to fall apart militarily and not respond?

I don't recall the game talking about attacking Japan or Pearl Harbor?

You're sent in on intel about Russia (for whatever reason, never explained), you get that. Your leader dies. Sent to China to get a "VIP" that after a long meandering campaign/tech demo you find out is the president or "president to be" more exactly of China that the big-bad former President of China or whatever wanted to kill to start a war with the US.

However, EMPing most of the naval fleet in China stops the US forces from being able to "phone home" (WTF) to where they start a mini-war with China to protect the "VIP."

linkboy

Just about as dumb as the plot for the Red Dawn remake.

You really think North Korea is going to make it to the Pacific Northwest without alerting bases in the following countries\states\territories;

Korea, Japan, Guam, Hawaii, California.

Jharp

Yeah I felt exactly the same way OP. Shame, too, because the campaign had some shining moments. The first level is rad as fuck, and the sixth and second-to-last level, Tashgar, was one of the more enjoyable shooter missions I played this year. The rest ranged from mediocre to good.

It was a damn sight better than Battlefield 3's dogshit campaign, but I really miss the Bad Company games' campaigns. Both of those were fantastic.

Watched my friend play it. When the credits started rolling I couldn't stop laughing until about halfway through them. Hilariously bad ending.

*fall* "You win!" *credits*

They made the campaign look godlike in the trailer for it. They literally showed the best levels with the reveal and E3 gameplay lol.

Anung

Un Rama
Have they said anything about BC3? Because I'd rather them stop making these crappy campaigns and maybe merge a BC campaign into this. That is if they could be trusted to not make it mediocre.

Hibachi

Banned
I didn't even know what was going on story wise. It was just an aweful, horribly boring campaign with characters that I didn't give even the slightest shit about.

I haven't bothered to go through it again for the other MP unlocks but I suppose I'll have to at some point.

It felt weird to you too, huh? This was my theory for why the ending felt so weird and abrupt.

So after finishing the campaign all
three times I'm pretty surprised that Pak never betrayed you. This seemed to be foreshadowed from tip to tail of the game. He's the first character you meet, not two minutes into the game, and he starts it by pulling a gun on you and saying he almost shot you. The entire time Irish throws suspicion at Hannah and ever the diplomat, Pak urges everyone to just get along like the slimy little manipulator he is. It's later revealed that he's a recent addition to the team, and then he feigns his own death when you are captured by the Chinese, revealing only when you make it back to the Valhalla that he's still alive, without any explanation whatsoever of how he lived, escaped capture by the Chinese, and returned to the ship. He shows no relief to see Hannah alive, if anything giving her a very cold reunion. Finally, and most damning, when you, Hannah, and Irish decide to take a RHIB to destroy Chang's destroyer, Pak quietly excuses himself from the mission, again, without explanation, and hands you a box of faulty demo charges, before returning to Jin Jie's side. The entire game seemed to be building up to Pak being Chang's last card and killing or making an attempt on Jin Jie's life after the destroyer was sunk, and then it just ended, abruptly, after the destruction of the destroyer.
Am I crazy, or did they amputate the game's finale?

But maybe I was overthinking it.

I don't understand why DICE doesn't go for a Medal of Honor/Specs Ops like story for its SP.

Because if it tries to be like at moments MoH Reboot was or outright depressing like Spec Ops the line it would be pretty uncallofduty for a franchise that it wants to be appeal to that demographic.

antitrop

I found Irish to be the worst character in a game I played in 2013.

I don't know why game writers always have to portray military characters to be such brutish, unlikeable assholes at all times, as if that is somehow normal. One of my greatest takeaways from my time in the military is the friendships and relationships I formed with my fellow Marines. Our camaraderie was really all we had to get us through combat, games should focus on that. Everyone in BF4 is just angry, all the time. It's draining.

Spec Ops: The Line at least had some of that, they tried to explore the tense, but respectful relationship of the soldiers put into an intense environment. There was at least some kind of feeling of authenticity to the characters, they kind of felt and acted the way real people would act. Medal of Honor 2010 even has a bit of that, with mixed results (but infinitely better than what BF3/4 or MoH: Warfighter did).

Battlefield 4's characters all fucking hate each other, and it's difficult to take seriously. The game tries to glorify them, but it comes off so disingenuous and distasteful. The writers just took the "serious all the time, only way to communicate is by yelling at the top of your lungs" stereotype and cranked it up to 11, and it feels so laughable and absurd. The dialogue is just so bad. Just so, so bad. They just didn't even try.

Or maybe they just tried to make Irish a symbolic character to show what alcoholism can do to a person.

Gibbo

seems like the they lost all steam after the carrier invasion. and the character that Omar plays has to be one of the most annoying charactera this year. Not only was his behaviour towards the chinese lady irrational and overlydramatic, the change of heart that came after that was too sudden

What bothered me most of the time in this game (and other military games) is they say you're the leader (at least for some of it), but since you're a silent protagonist you do what your peons tell you to do.

antitrop

Even though the game is only like 4 hours long, I still haven't brought myself to finish the SP campaign. It's just so miserable.

Animator

I ended up importing a friends save to get the weapon unlocks. Life is too short to suffer through shitty DICE sp campaigns.

AlexMogil

Spoilers ahead

First you're in a field
Now you're in a building that blows up
Now you're a spy
Now you're blowing up a tank in a city
Now you're in a tank
Now you're in an airfield
Now you're in prison for some reason
Ok now you're in the snow
Now you're in the jungle
Now you're in urban warfare
Now you're blowing up a dam
Now you're on a big boat

Now put a story in there somehow and print that disc!

The end

What bothered me most of the time in this game (and other military games) is they say you're the leader (at least for some of it), but since you're a silent protagonist you do what your peons tell you to do.

That issue annoyed the crap out of me as well.

Didnt DICE say they do not use any military advisors but instead use the internet? The scenes onboard the V were shitty when it comes to authenticity.

Animator

You are the leader of opening doors for your shitty AI teammates.

Apath

Spoilers ahead

First you're in a field
Now you're in a building that blows up
Now you're a spy
Now you're blowing up a tank in a city
Now you're in a tank
Now you're in an airfield
Now you're in prison for some reason
Ok now you're in the snow
Now you're in the jungle
Now you're in urban warfare
Now you're blowing up a dam
Now you're on a big boat

Now put a story in there somehow and print that disc!

The end
You make it sound as if the locations in the game are any more random than anything else out there. Especially in the case of the prison, there is blatantly a reason (and well explained) reason why you're there.

antitrop

That issue annoyed the crap out of me as well.

Didnt DICE say they do not use any military advisors but instead use the internet? The scenes onboard the V were shitty when it comes to authenticity.
I think they use military advisors for stuff like weapon authenticity, basic military tactics, uniform appearance, and stuff like that.

As far as the dialogue and plot goes, I doubt that gets passed by any vets.

Symax

Dice hired ex-call of duty wirter jesse stern for the story. Bad plot twists. Stereotypical characters. A Dog in the first level. Come on, cant you see the signs? This was not a bad singelplayer but rather a perfect parody.

vio

I found Irish to be the worst character in a game I played in 2013.

I don't know why game writers always have to portray military characters to be such brutish, unlikeable assholes at all times, as if that is somehow normal. One of my greatest takeaways from my time in the military is the friendships and relationships I formed with my fellow Marines. Our camaraderie was really all we had to get us through combat, games should focus on that. Everyone in BF4 is just angry, all the time. It's draining.

Spec Ops: The Line at least had some of that, they tried to explore the tense, but respectful relationship of the soldiers put into an intense environment. There was at least some kind of feeling of authenticity to the characters, they kind of felt and acted the way real people would act. Medal of Honor 2010 even has a bit of that, with mixed results (but infinitely better than what BF3/4 or MoH: Warfighter did).

Battlefield 4's characters all fucking hate each other, and it's difficult to take seriously. The game tries to glorify them, but it comes off so disingenuous and distasteful. The writers just took the "serious all the time, only way to communicate is by yelling at the top of your lungs" stereotype and cranked it up to 11, and it feels so laughable and absurd. The dialogue is just so bad. Just so, so bad. They just didn't even try.

Or maybe they just tried to make Irish a symbolic character to show what alcoholism can do to a person.

I finished BF4 and then went to play Killzone 2. Rico and Irish are so worst.

Top Bottom