• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did they get rid of gore and dismemberment in COD?

hello505

I'm likeable
Haven't played Vanguard but I remember COD Waw being very gory with dismemberment. All subsequent entires have tpmed it down or removed it completely. Reducing it to mere bullet holes.

Why? Do you miss this effect?

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I don't really play COD, but what would extreme gore add to the game? Will seeing a head pop like a melon, or festooning the map in buckets of blood and entrails really enhance your enjoyment?

Knightime_X

Sniper Elite series will satisfy your gore needs.
As for cod, I kinda miss it, but its not the end of the world if its left out.

I can't remember if Vanguard SP had gore but the Multiplayer does. Depending on the Gun/Ammo type you use, you get a lot of limbs flying off with blood gushing out of every open wound. Most of my death animations are pretty gory.

baphomet

have you even played any recent call of duty games?

edit - by recent I mean within the last 10 years, because it's still in there.

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
While I do not play competitive shooters, and I do not need or particularly enjoy gore in entertainment (I do love the cartoony giblets in Quake/Unreal).. - I would feel short changed without some kind of middle ground. It also seems unhealthy to censor the realities of war and violence to such a degree.

Personally, if a body loses a limb, it loses a limb. Blood-mist seems appropriate, I don't need to see flesh, tendons and limbs flying.

Holammer

I don't really play COD, but what would extreme gore add to the game? Will seeing a head pop like a melon, or festooning the map in buckets of blood and entrails really enhance your enjoyment?
It added a lot of WaW and especially in the Pacific campaign. It made the experience so much visceral when grenades tore feet & limbs off the enemies. It's a dirty and disgusting game, just like the real deal.
Nowadays everyone shy away from that particular setting.

As I recall, only the WWII setting COD games and a few of the sci-fi settings like Advanced Warfare have limb dismemberment and other types of hardcore gore. The MW series has never had gore and IMO doesn't need it.

SLB1904

Banned
I prefer gory games honestly. Not over exaggerated ones tho.

Hayabusa83

Banned
World At War had a sweet, sweet dismemberment system. Come to think of it, World At War might be one of the best World War II FPSs of all time. I don't understand this whole notion that leaving that sort of thing out of a shooter would make it appeal to larger audiences. Some franchises became staples because of their gore - Mortal Kombat being a primary example.

The reason why World At War is such a timeless game is because it captured the ferocity of World War II authentically. The game even had the balls to let you outright execute POWS at the behest of Reznov!

I am also pretty sure the Black Ops series has some decent gore in it. I remember Black Ops 2 and 3 being particularly brutal.

Shifty

Because Little Jimmy is allowed guns, grenades and attack drones, but not overly graphic depictions of their consequences.

And Little Jimmy - albeit indirectly - has buying power.

Last edited:

baphomet

34wNXvr.png

anthraticus

Banned
World At War had a sweet, sweet dismemberment system. Come to think of it, World At War might be one of the best World War II FPSs of all time.
The big problem I had with WaW compared to CoD 1 say, was that you'd never get killed right away from bullets and will always have a chance to get behind some cover (if there is any) and regenerate....which is a wack mechanic in itself. (CoD 1 didn't even have any lame health regen) 2 brought it in, but you can play the PC version with the merciless matador mod which removes it....and adds gore !

Hidden & Dangerous 2 is the best WW2 shooter ever btw.

MiguelItUp

As others have said, Vanguard has gore and dismemberment. Warzone does as well I believe, but you have to use specific weapons that allow it.

SteadyEvo

Yes. I remember playing Soldier of Fortune on OG Xbox Live. Loved blowing people limbs off. So yes, it does add to enjoyment 😆

That said COD is no longer fun for me. Peaked with Blops 2 WiiU version.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The big problem I had with WaW compared to CoD 1 say, was that you'd never get killed right away from bullets and will always have a chance to get behind some cover (if there is any) and regenerate....which is a wack mechanic in itself. (CoD 1 didn't even have any lame health regen) 2 brought it in, but you can play the PC version with the merciless matador mod which removes it....and adds gore !

Hidden & Dangerous 2 is the best WW2 shooter ever btw.
I hear what your saying, but I think that was due to SMGs in WaW being weak at long range with wide spread. Very hard to kill people from distance. You'd need probably 5 bullets to kill. I used LMGs and mowed down people no problem from distance as the damage per bullet didnt drop off for machine guns. Semi-auto rifles were lethal with 2 bullet kills but seemed nobody used them.

COD4 I think seemed easier to kill because so many people used snipers and M-16s (I did) which were one burst kills most of them time. Guns seemed more accurate in COD4. I used M-16 and RPD and they were like lasers.

anthraticus

Banned
I hear what your saying, but I think that was due to SMGs in WaW being weak at long range with wide spread. Very hard to kill people from distance. You'd need probably 5 bullets to kill. I used LMGs and mowed down people no problem from distance as the damage per bullet didnt drop off for machine guns. Semi-auto rifles were lethal with 2 bullet kills but seemed nobody used them.

COD4 I think seemed easier to kill because so many people used snipers and M-16s (I did) which were one burst kills most of them time. Guns seemed more accurate in COD4. I used M-16 and RPD and they were like lasers.
I'm not talking about the enemies taking too many bullets and not dropping....but ME.

TheDreadBaron

Gold Member
Which CoD was is that used a paper money explosion particle effect when you were killed in multiplayer? That was silly as all hell, but memorable. It does seem disrespectful to the subject material to deliberately censor the physical effects of violence inherent to warfare, but also it can become comical if overdone and that also seems disrespectful. I saw a shooter (cant remember which one) where a wounded enemy struggled frantically on the ground for ten seconds or so before giving in to their mortal injury. That’s actually hard to watch and not a comical explosion of gibs, it feels like it adds a seriousness to a game about killing, but CoD probably doesn’t want you to feel negative emotions when you kill so it’s more about satisfying sound cues and kill streaks.

MikeM

To appeal to kids with mommy/daddy’s credit card. Little timmy can’t buy lot boxes if there is blood or gore since parents won’t let timmy play the game at all.

Think About It GIF by Identity

Neolombax

Vanguard has tonnes of it in MP. Cant remember if SP had it, the campaign wasnt memorable. Cold War had it too albeit not as much as Vanguard. Nit sure what youre on about OP.

Top Bottom