• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why didn't Metroid: Zero Mission sell well (or at least sell over a million units)?

jrDev

Kirby has an entire company backing him up.

twcard.png

Ever since Iwata shuffled Nintendo's internal development teams back in 2005, Metroid hasn't really had a consistent team to keep making games for it. There was Retro, but they moved on to Donkey Kong Country. It's somewhat telling that Sakamoto seems to keep having to bring in outside studios like Team Ninja or MercurySteam to assist developing his new Metroid games.

Who knows whats going on with MP4's developer. I'd assume it's just a new internal team they brought together to make it, but a lot of people like Shikamaru Ninja seem to think it's Next Level Games...
Nintendo should just buy Next Level Games, they've proven themselves...

nubbe

Currently playing it on WiiU, I have forgotten just about everything... Only played it once on my GBA.

Looks and feels like Super Metroid, one thing that annoy me is how Samus makes a short pause after landing from a jump.

The strange thing is how they make these convoluted levels and yet you're forced to get nav points from the Chozo statues.
Which makes the experience kinda pointless since your more or less just following a marker.

It doesn't feel as fresh a Fusion. But it's a good game, would be better without hand holding.
Besides updated lore and visuals, Zero Mission dosent really do anything new that hasn't been done in Fusion or Super Metroid.
So I get why people didn't throw themselves at it.

For me at the time I had fusion and thought it was great.

Being naive as soon as it said remake of the first I figured​ it wouldn't be interesting as fusion and didn't buy it.

I remember playing the nes version thinking it was rock solid so that turned me off also.

Now however I wish I could get it for GBA.

PrimeBeef

Because Metroid is not popular.
This, plus two games released on the same day and I'm willing to bet most of the Fusion buyers already played Metroid. Even though it had a new skin and some QoL improvements, ZM was a game played already. If they released a couple of months apart from each other both might have better sales numbers.

ckaneo

I am kind of shocked that some prefer Fusion over Zero Mission. Fusion to me was incredibly disappointing coming off of Super Metroid and it being released next to Prime only made the issue worse. It was a fine game but it is the most linear 2D Metroid and the story got in the way constantly. Zero Mission was a improvement in every single possible way except maybe in the difficulty department. Zero Mission felt like a true Metroid game while Fusion feels in retrospect a prototype for Other M.

Apologies if it seems as though Im attacking you, but I never understood why Metroid fans are so pretentious."True Metroid" what on Earth does that mean. It gets really bad when I see fans say that the creators of Metroid dont understand Metroid....

The reason Fusion fans like Fusion is because it's additions were in our opinion welcome to the series. Yeah, they gave you area to go, but getting there is just as fun as the other games but this time without constant wandering in an area where you cant advance at all. The Samus clone was menacing, and the game actually felt like it had a purpose instead of just wandering in a facility.

donny2112

Apologies if it seems as though Im attacking you, but I never understood why Metroid fans are so pretentious."True Metroid" what on Earth does that mean. It gets really bad when I see fans say that the creators of Metroid dont understand Metroid....

The reason Fusion fans like Fusion is because it's additions were in our opinion welcome to the series. Yeah, they gave you area to go, but getting there is just as fun as the other games but this time without constant wandering in an area where you cant advance at all. The Samus clone was menacing, and the game actually felt like it had a purpose instead of just wandering in a facility.

Yeah, and I ignored the story as much as possible. I would intentionally explore everything I could with current powers before finally giving in to continuing the story by going where it wanted me to. Every once in a while, I'd even accidentally end up where it was wanting me to go, and I'd be like "Huh. Didn't realize I was near that (or) Didn't realize that connected there." As a series that (to me) is exploration distilled into game form, ignoring the prompts about where to go puts it under Super Metroid to me. Original Metroid is a huge pain to stop and restart with due to the complete loss of health each time you need to stop and come back to it. Zero Mission fixed that and let you enjoy the exploring without as much fear of getting in a near hopeless situation with health, but Fusion was just a better experience in the Super Metroid vein to me.

Top Bottom