• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why DMC3's Vergil is the Best Rival in Gaming (Also Free Copies of DMC4 PC)

Sakujou

Banned
great fan of dmc 3+4!
is there a mac version of the game? i suppose not since, the game is too demanding.... right?

i would also like to participate and kudos to OP for making such a nice thread.

DMC3 is one of my all-time best games. Bought them all on launch day, but never finished DMC2 or DMC4.

I found the final Vergil fight frustrating, he would spam helm-breakers as if he was jump-cancelling, IIRC. So satisfying when he was finally taken down. Liked the way he slashed Dante's glove which then appears at the start of DMC.

Astarte

Why did Vergil need more power again?

I'm guessing he wanted more power so that his son and the girl he had relations with didn't have to die like Eva did.

Oh I forgot to mention! Good OP! I feel like the Dante/Vergil dynamic and the Solid/Liquid relationship are tied for first for me. The former for all that crazy fighting and the latter for the ultimate "haha I gotcha" moment.

Alastor

Great write-up! DMC3 story may be simple, but it has the best brother rivalry I've ever seen. I love them both as characters for different reasons. And the hype for Vergil that's on GAF rigt now... Feels good.

Changed avatar for something more fitting.

Syril

I like how in the first fight Vergil actually didn't know how to handle some of Dante's weirder moves like Sword Toss. In the second fight he still had trouble defending against it, but his new tactics with Beowulf focused on closing the distance so Dante couldn't shut him down so easily with it.

Of this, I have no doubt.

DMC3's soundtrack is completely underrated because people only remember the normal battle tunes. A lot of the boss and cutscene tracks are phenomenal.

I'm really sorry, man. The codes aren't up yet because I have a hiccup with Modbot. I'll update the OP as soon as possible once I have them.

No worries. Please take your time. Thanks for the response btw.

All this DMC and Vergil love are making me so happy. I'm glad people recognise him as one of the best rivals out there. The core concept of simply being the opposite of Dante is so simple, yet it works so well. All of his battles reflect Dantes own growth with him beating you the first meeting, drawing the second and finally FINALLY going down the last time.
But even then he still isn't finished.

jeemer

thanks for doing this, i've entered something for the first time on neogaf. i love the bayonetta games but i've actually never played a dmc :eek:

kizito

What was truly impressive is that if ou walk in circles during the fights against Vergil, he also walks looking at you, he doesn't immediately attack you. Truly impressive sense of detail !

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Going through the game, earning new weapons by defeating sweet bosses, only to get stomped by Beowulf and see Vergil effortlessly finish him off, then take the weapon that should have been yours and actually use it against you in the next bossfight was absolutely brilliant.

This.

I don't know if I gave this the credit it deserves, quite honestly. It just further shows that Vergil is a better you, and always a step ahead. This is particularly important in a game where Dante is so ludicrously powerful in cutscenes.

I remember reading a DMC3 review where they said it was unbelievable that you are still felt outmatched by the final boss, despite Dante's ridiculous arsenal and moveset.

I'm pretty sure every single characteristic in the OP also counts for Red/Blue from Pokemon

It's pretty close. Red/Blue is another example of a fantastic rivalry, in my opinion.

Oh yeah. GuardianE, just how many copies of DMC4 have you given away?

Not enough!

Astral Dog

Probably to protect his secret wife and their son.
I'm guessing he wanted more power so that his son and the girl he had relations with didn't have to die like Eva did.

Oh I forgot to mention! Good OP! I feel like the Dante/Vergil dynamic and the Solid/Liquid relationship are tied for first for me. The former for all that crazy fighting and the latter for the ultimate "haha I gotcha" moment.

lol, are you serious?

I never saw it that way.
It makes sense but i always asummed he was going to try killing
Nero, at least until the very end
then again, he gave him dat power.

This DMC4 announcement has really made me realize how much I want DMC5.

I hope the special edition delivers. In the meantime I need to get back to my DMC3 HD play through.

I agree wholeheartedly. Vergil is a big part of what makes DMC3 my favorite DMC. He's the coolest character in a world ruled by cool, yet he's also a well developed (for the genre) antihero/antivillain. Further, all three of his boss fights are simply amazing. The fact that they had the balls to make him the final boss rather than the usual huge abomination (meta-commented in-game!) is just icing on the cake.

Dahbomb

Come on guys there is no reason to believe that Vergil gives a crap about either Nero or his mother. Chances are he doesn't even know he has a son.

Philippo

'sup guys.

tumblr_lp1bhycIuY1qe6fh8o1_r1_500.gif

Astarte

Come on guys there is no reason to believe that Vergil gives a crap about either Nero or his mother. Chances are he doesn't even know he has a son.

That would give him deeper motivation than just wanting to attain power just cause :V
But then again, he's still pretty baller regardless of motivation.

Astral Dog

It would be awesome, him chasing Spardas power to protect his family, then getting power hungry.

Unlike
Balder
it can even make sense!

But, yeah, there is no way they are going to do that :p

Vergil most definitly hit it and quit it, he's the type of guy who probably felt ashamed afterwards for giving in to weakness and having sex with a human woman.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Lets give props to makoto tsuchibayashi who has an amazing resume when it comes to designing bad ass characters...

Ps2 Shinobi
Dante
Vergil
Vanquish

DMC_Graphic_Edition_Vergil.jpg

Dahbomb

It WOULD give him better motivation but they have to first do the following things:

*Show romantic involvement with Vergil and his beloved.

*Show that either she is in danger or Vergil is still greatly haunted by his past.

*Show that Vergil knows that he will be a father soon and show him specifically state that he needs power to protect.

Thing is that once you do this, Vergil can probably not be a villain anymore... he would be a good guy. He would have no reason to fight either Dante or Nero.

It's much easier to think of Vergil as a dead beat dad who turned his back on his family for his own ambition. Maybe his intentions at first were good but he has been addicted to power.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Vergil has proper motivation. Isn't the implication that his lust for power is fueled by his desire to never feel helpless again after watching his mother killed before him? It's a defense mechanism where he handles the trauma very differently from Dante. Whereas Vergil embraces the demonic side of himself because he knows it can satisfy this overwhelming need, Dante suppresses it within himself because he hates all things demon, including that part of himself.

TreIII

Vergil most definitly hit it and quit it, he's the type of guy who probably felt ashamed afterwards for giving in to weakness and having sex with a human woman.
Of course, that would assume that Nero was the result of a "natural birth", and not perhaps the end result of a similar process that ended up giving Sanctus his Angelos.

But in any case, I just don't see the guy who supposedly loathed his own humanity just randomly give in to his carnal impulses like that.

Astral

Further fueling his lust for MORE POWER. I never considered the possibility that he loved this woman though. That would be very interesting.

Top Bottom