• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do people like built in rechargeable batteries?

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Convenience and waste.

I never had a Sony controller die on me. They might not have had the best of battery life, but it's convenient to just slap it into a charging cradle when the gaming session is over and be done with it. I own two controllers for the marathon sessions. I am guessing over the life of the console, were I a Xbox gamer rather than PlayStation, I'd have spent more in batteries than the cost of that charging cradle and second controller. And I wouldn't have had to bother with recycling batteries or even worse simply discarding them.

Susurrus

Back when PS3 and 360 (and Wii) were the current gen (I bought all near launch), I did get those official recharging battery packs for the 360. They died long before the controller did or even the gen. I had 4, one for each controller, all died, wouldn't charge, and I swapped back to batteries. My PS3 controllers still work to this day. As well as my Wii U stuff, and even my GBA SP, which somehow held a charge for who knows how many years in storage. Portables still work. Maybe I just been lucky, but I've been burned my Microsoft's packs but not by built in batteries so I'm all in rechargeable.

GHG

Gold Member
Wait, DS pads use built in batteries? I had no idea. All this time using Xbox controllers on my PC, seems like i dodged a bullet.

No, they are the bullets:

whenever-i-change-the-batteries-in-my-xbox-controller--5132.jpg

Well that's just a flat out lie. Why would the battery compartment just fall out? lol. It's clipped in and it won't just fall out unless you've broken it. Also the 360 is 15 years old, why not talk about the XB1 controller which is pretty universally regarded as the best control pad there is, and it has a replaceable battery?
I have 3 360 controllers on my PC, none has its original battery compartment.

It's relevant because controllers with removable batteries are supposedly longer lasting.

Moogle11

Banned
For the people that love AA/AAA batteries.
How would you guys feel if your Smart Phone used AA/AAA batteries?
Just a genuine question.

I know it sucks when my remote batteries die and I don't have any extras
vs. when I have one that I just have to plug in and change.

I just see most of you complaining about rechargeable batteries, while all Smart Phones use them.
I find it weird to prefer AA/AAA over rechargeable in this day and age, especially when the batteries mostly out live the product itself.

Well, I wouldn’t say I love them and I’m fine with internal batteries in controllers, but the differences with phones are:

• High power draw device so needs a high capacity internal battery. So I’d just rather have more easily user replaceable batteries vs having to go to Apple or a specialty store as I dont feel comfortable opening it up myself
  • With phones I value thinness a ton as it’s in my front pocket a ton of the time
With controllers I would have zero preference if Sony had longer battery life in their controllers. I don’t mind the internal at all with the super long battery life of the Switch Pro controller or especially Wii U Pro controller. It just annoying with the DS4’s needed charged every 2 or 3 sessions (or one binge) and juggling charging my gold headset that also has poor battery life.

If battery life is 20-25+ hours like I tend to get with Eneloops in my Xbox Elite controller I wouldn’t care one way or the other. As is, changing Eneloops at that rate is less annoying to me than having to plug in after every couple of uses of DS4, dealing with the headset also needing charged any times, and not really wanting clutter of a second micro usb cable next to my couch. So I end up buying a second controller to rotate despite never doing any local MP. That’s more expensive than some Eneloops, even moreso when I already had several before I ever had a controller that took AAs.

MrFunSocks

Banned
You put the batteries in... They remain there, you put some more in... I mean, it's not my fault MS can't make a lasting battery enclosure.

My other old controllers work, including the Wii's (ironically they have batteries).
Like I said - take better care of your stuff. I have about 6 360 controllers and 6 XB1 controller and not a single one has a problem with the battery compartment cover falling off.

Don't blame MS for you not looking after your shit.

20cent

Banned
"Built-in battery can't hold my daily 8 hours of continuous gaming, at least with swappable AA batteries I can ask my mom to grab some at walmart."

Built-in battery is the best solution, sorry.
Plug the controller to the console for overnight charging, problem solved.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

I don't know why not. Unlike you I never had battery problem in any of my controllers, maybe I use less then you, I dunno, I do have a xbox one controller that I use on my PC and I hate having to take off the batteries to recharge. I Know there is a play'n'charge option but its overprice as hell in my country.

RPSleon

I dont understand how people kill controller batteries, and controllers full stop. Since ps1 ive never had to replace a controller for a console for any reason.

Luck?

Id take removable batteries over fixed just incase though. But aslong as its not a massive block sticking out.

Iced Arcade

Don't care. I'm not interested in physically swapping them out, having to charge them, or even worse, having to buy replacement batteries.
Dude go back to 2005 and read about a play & charge kit.

People ignore play & charge packs when they want to use batteries as a negative strike in an argument.

Ultraslick

Neo Member
Both solutions are batteries.
1 just uses enormous AA’s which is nuts.

the other uses small lithium ion which is great for form factor- and it’s the year 2020, so that makes sense. Problem here (for some) is that you can’t easily replace this if needed.

neither solution is perfect.

I lean towards preferring Sony’s solution than fiddling with recharge packs, etc.
Especially since controllers have a finite lifespan for many reasons. Worn down joysticks, dead zones, button firmness, trigger failure. Usually by the time the battery starts slipping- it’s already time for a new controller for other reasons.

devilNprada

AA batteries are an anachronism. They're awful, awful for the environment, and that's why shops have special battery bins even in hugely conservative, anti-environmentalist states.

To me AA batteries belong in the 90s. Ever since the iPod I have expected these things to be rechargeable. It's as simple as that.

Rechargeable AAbatteries are lithium same as you get in the PS controller. You wouldn't throw them out when the sticks go bad though, and could be used in multiple devices even after the life of the controller... So they are technically better for the environment than internal batteries.

MrFunSocks

Banned
:messenger_dizzy: you are a prime example of overly aggressive xbot....

Seriously, there is a reason the parts are easy to find on Amazon, and none of my other controllers gave problems like this.

tenor.png
You broke your controllers, blame MS, and you then call me an xbot and post a console warrior picture? Grow up, and take better care of your things.

Both solutions are batteries.
1 just uses enormous AA’s which is nuts.

the other uses small lithium ion which is great for form factor- and it’s the year 2020, so that makes sense. Problem here (for some) is that you can’t easily replace this if needed.

neither solution is perfect.

I lean towards preferring Sony’s solution than fiddling with recharge packs, etc.
Especially since controllers have a finite lifespan for many reasons. Worn down joysticks, dead zones, button firmness, trigger failure. Usually by the time the battery starts slipping- it’s already time for a new controller for other reasons.
"great for form factor"......have you seen a series X controller?

"fiddling with recharge packs" lol. Come on, you're not a toddler.

Last edited:

DrAspirino

Banned
Replaceable rechargable batteries are far superior in every single way to integrated ones and I despise the day phone/gamepads/devices began using integrated ones. Back in the day, if your phone battery died, you simply swapped it and you were good to go. Heck, my mom's laptop still uses user-replaceable battery and when it died, we just bought a new battery and the laptop kept going and going.

Also, replaceable rechargable batteries means less e-waste.

JLB

Banned
Replaceable rechargable batteries are far superior in every single way to integrated ones and I despise the day phone/gamepads/devices began using integrated ones. Back in the day, if your phone battery died, you simply swapped it and you were good to go. Heck, my mom's laptop still uses user-replaceable battery and when it died, we just bought a new battery and the laptop kept going and going.

Exactly this.

devilNprada

I used to fight this too, because devices don't typically outlast the batteries these days... But yeah exactly this regardless.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
I use both and one doesn’t bother me over the other. On my PC I use an XBox controller with regular batteries and on my PS I just charged it and it’s good to go.

Really doesn’t matter.

zombrex

Rechargeable AA are superior but less convenient for the average user.
But i think the major reason people hate them is because over the years there have just been so many low quality battery charging systems that work poorly and loose their capacity quickly that it burned most people on the concept. They don't want to deal with it again and risk losing money again.

Sgt.Asher

I hate having to change out batteries. Buying a new controller doesn't matter much since I've had three xbox one controllers break on me due to shit build quality. In the meanwhile a switch pro controller i have is sturdy and the charge is still good. Plus Nintendo usually makes access to the LithIon battery easy.

How do people get bricked controllers? The batteries are easily replaced on the DS. I'd rather do that once every few years then have to do it every day using normal batteries. Or you get a rechargable battery kit for the Xbox controller and you're doing the same thing. Only you have to pay for the first battery like a sucker. Considering how little MS change the controller, they should be charging $40 for them. $60 with a recharge kit. Never understood Xbox fans obsession with paying more for less.

GHG

Gold Member
Dude go back to 2005 and read about a play & charge kit.

People ignore play & charge packs when they want to use batteries as a negative strike in an argument.

I bought 2 of them for my Xbox One controllers when I had them to avoid having to deal with battery swapping bullshit.

My stance remains the same - considering the price, a permanent internal solution that comes with the controller (as it does with every other modern controller on the market) would be better.

I get it, some of you like getting shafted. Next someone will tell me the proprietary storage cartridges are consumer friendly.

MrFunSocks

Banned
How long does a charge last on DS5? The DS4 is terrible and barely lasts longer than the Wii U Gamepad.
Roughly the same as the DS4 from the reviews I've seen - 4 to 8 hours.

How do people get bricked controllers? The batteries are easily replaced on the DS. I'd rather do that once every few years then have to do it every day using normal batteries. Or you get a rechargable battery kit for the Xbox controller and you're doing the same thing. Only you have to pay for the first battery like a sucker. Considering how little MS change the controller, they should be charging $40 for them. $60 with a recharge kit. Never understood Xbox fans obsession with paying more for less.

"every day"? My eneloops give me like 40+ hours lol. "paying more for less" is not true. The controllers are cheaper than playstation controllers, and you don't have to buy a whole new controller when the battery doesn't hold a charge.

Because I absolutely hate changing batteries.
So get a play and charge kit. When that battery doesn't hold charge, buy another one instead of a whole new controller.

Can't believe that people in here are actually advocating for less options and control lol.

rnlval

Argh. I have so many dead DS3 lying around that won’t take a charge and now one of my DS4 is lasting 30 minute after a full charge.

My wavebirds, 360 and One pads last flawlessly. All I need to do is swap out a pair of new rechargeable AA and is good to go for another few years. Doesn’t make sense to me why anyone would want built in. I mean even the AA compartment is now flush with most if not all controllers so design is not an issue.
Sony loves landfills despite being woke.

Bramble

Because it's almost 2021 and I never before had a controller that had issues with the internal battery. I have power sockets next to were I sit and I have a power bank that also can be used to charge, just in case. So only thing I have to do is plug the thing in after a few sessions when I go to bed, and I'm done. It's good that MS gives you the choice, but since my choice will always be to be able to charge my controller on the fly, I prefer it's included. Simple as that.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Because it's almost 2021 and I never before had a controller that had issues with the internal battery. I have power sockets next to were I sit and I have a power bank that also can be used to charge, just in case. So only thing I have to do is plug the thing in after a few sessions when I go to bed, and I'm done. It's good that MS gives you the choice, but since my choice will always be to be able to charge my controller on the fly, I prefer it's included. Simple as that.
Imagine it being almost 2021 and still not understanding how battery degradation works.

Iced Arcade

I bought 2 of them for my Xbox One controllers when I had them to avoid having to deal with battery swapping bullshit.

My stance remains the same - considering the price, a permanent internal solution that comes with the controller (as it does with every other modern controller on the market) would be better.

I get it, some of you like getting shafted. Next someone will tell me the proprietary storage cartridges are consumer friendly.
I will agree with you the price should reflect the lack of battery.

But some of you are happy with shitty battery life. Myself I'm charging this dual shock 4 for the second time today and not getting that overwhelming joy of "it's internal"

GHG

Gold Member
But some of you are happy with shitty battery life. Myself I'm charging this dual shock 4 for the second time today and not getting that overwhelming joy of "it's internal"

There's a difference between saying the internal battery life and durability should be improved, vs saying let's go back to swapping out batteries.

The former I agree with whereas the latter I absolutely disagree with.

Last edited:
So get a play and charge kit. When that battery doesn't hold charge, buy another one instead of a whole new controller.

Can't believe that people in here are actually advocating for less options and control lol.

I’ve never had to re-buy a controller in my life so even less so due to one not holding a charge.

But really, I mean that not just for controllers but anything in life. I don’t want non-internal batteries in my phone, my remote control, my headset. If possible I would have preferred mouse or keyboard that could be charged by cable instead of using batteries.

SirVoltus

Argh. I have so many dead DS3 lying around that won’t take a charge and now one of my DS4 is lasting 30 minute after a full charge.

My wavebirds, 360 and One pads last flawlessly. All I need to do is swap out a pair of new rechargeable AA and is good to go for another few years. Doesn’t make sense to me why anyone would want built in. I mean even the AA compartment is now flush with most if not all controllers so design is not an issue.
you could buy ds3 oem battery replacement for cheap.. and 10 minutes replace it yourself.

R6Rider

Gold Member
The only PlayStation controller that's gone bad on me is my original PS3 DS3 which only lasts about 1 hour now, my other GoW PS3 controller still works fine. Otherwise I simply plug the controller in when done playing or chatting in a party. Even if they did go bad, the internal battery is super easy to change.

I did have one of those charge packs for my 360 which actually did go bad within 1 year of using it. Overall though, either way works for me and it's not a big issue.

dano1

A Sheep
I have 3 ps4 controllers and they all still work just fine. And I play a lot!
Would love to see cell phone companies use Xboxes cheap ass battery system 😂😂😂. Wouldn’t sell one phone.

brap

Banned
It's 2020.

I even bought a remote with an internal rechargeable battery for my Shield TV.

I'm not fucking around with batteries when I can just plug something in for a couple of hours.
Yep. You can just tell this thread was made to console war. Them motherfuckers shove batteries in their phones too? Obsolete ass ass backwards shit.

dalekjay

AA is the way to go, eneloops.
I like the dual shock better than the Xbox game pad, but when I factor the battery, I rather use the Xbox because AAs, my DS4 have to play wired from sometime now. (Ps5 coming and ds4 doesn’t work there)

rnlval

Every Xbox controller (and console I'd assume) still ships with a pair of disposable AA batteries. What do you think people do with those?

1. After replacing the two disposable AA batteries, throwing the two rechargeable AA batteries has a smaller landfill print when compared to throwing the entire controller.
2. Microsoft's higher ethics preaching is technically flawed when they still have manufacturing contracts with CCP's China.
3. In most cases, I use a wired controller.

Last edited:
Top Bottom