• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do you donate blindly, without knowing where your money goes to?

Non profit organizations are a real pain in the butt when it comes to money laundering and use of funds. Just as annoying as LLCs.

Several non profits go toward terrorist financing directly.

JordanN

Banned
I get this all the time from homeless people.

They always ask me for money. But I tell them, I wont give them money but I'll buy them food.
They get all pissed but I know if they take cash, they'll run straight to the liquor store or buy cigarettes.

golfham

I only donate to the animal shelter. All these other organizations are so shady that I’ve never given them a cent.

gohepcat

Banned

They always ask me for money. But I tell them, I wont give them money but I'll buy them food.
They get all pissed but I know if they take cash, they'll run straight to the liquor store or buy cigarettes.

I imagine shaming homeless people must feel great.

JordanN

Banned
I imagine shaming homeless people must feel great.

It does, because despite their status as homeless, they still feel the need to boss me around or tell me what I can do with my money.

Sorry pal. If you don't even got respect for someone who who can give you the spoils of luxury, then you can stay there. And that's none of my fault.

It does, because despite their status as homeless, they still feel the need to boss me around or tell me what I can do with my money.

Sorry pal. If you don't even got respect for someone who who can give you the spoils of luxury, then you can stay there. And that's none of my fault.

The spoils of luxury would include liquor and smokes.

I give money to the homeless on occasion if I can afford to. Because if anyone needs a drink or cig more than me, it would be someone sleeping on a vent in sub temps.

gohepcat

Banned

Or....you know....you could just not give them your money rather than having them pass your morality test.

I would assume someone going through DTs or opioid withdrawal would rather you just fucked off than humiliate them. You could simply give that money to an institution that works to prevent homelessness in the first place. I usually don't give money to homeless people, but I also don't feel the need to give the local schizophrenic or drug addict a test to make myself feel superior.

That is fucking obnoxious as hell

I give money to the homeless on occasion if I can afford to. Because if anyone needs a drink or cig more than me, it would be someone sleeping on a vent in sub temps.

So it's better to enable someone's addictions and ensure they stay languishing indefinitely because the alternative might hurt their feelings?

JordanN

Banned

Or....you know....you could just not give them your money rather than having them pass your morality test.

I would assume someone going through DTs or opioid withdrawal would rather you just fucked off than humiliate them. You could simply give that money to an institution that works to prevent homelessness in the first place. I usually don't give money to homeless people, but I also don't feel the need to give the local schizophrenic or drug addict a test to make myself feel superior.

That is fucking obnoxious as hell

Both of you two miss what I said (either intentionally or not).

"they still feel the need to boss me around or tell me what I can do with my money."

Homeless people have demanded me give them my money when I'm under no actual contract to do so.

If you think you can steal from me, I will protect my assets with force and have the police come arrest you. No one else can tell me otherwise.

Both of you two miss what I said (either intentionally or not).

"they still feel the need to boss me around or tell me what I can do with my money."

Homeless people have demanded me give them my money when I'm under no actual contract to do so.

If you think you can steal from me, I will protect my assets with force and have the police come arrest you. No one else can tell me otherwise.

Ok that's a pretty large tonal shift from them "asking" for money though, which is what you originally wrote.

I despise aggressive begging as much as the next person.

gohepcat

Banned

I'm honestly curious. Do you have many interactions with regular people? This comes across as an incredibly socially inept reaction to a homeless person doing homeless person shit. I have to assume you are either being hyperbolic or have some sort of problem with normal relationships.

We have all had homeless people say crazy shit to us. They are often addicts or mentally ill. Are you really surprised that a mentally ill drug addict is lying about needing money for food? Are you really taking these people to task for this?

That is some Michael Douglas in Falling down level shit.

BANGS

Banned
This is why I don't donate to charitable organizations. I either give the money straight to the source or use it to provide a service myself...

I used to give to St. Jude's often, until they used my money to air 2 minute long guilt trip commercials on television. Never again...

JordanN

Banned
I'm honestly curious. Do you have many interactions with regular people? This comes across as an incredibly socially inept reaction to a homeless person doing homeless person shit. I have to assume you are either being hyperbolic or have some sort of problem with normal relationships.

We have all had homeless people say crazy shit to us. They are often addicts or mentally ill. Are you really surprised that a mentally ill drug addict is lying about needing money for food? Are you really taking these people to task for this?

The problem now a days is you can't genuinely tell who is crazy just based off appearance or character.

I don't even like hearing the mentally ill excuse. As if that somehow gives them the right to impose yourself on me or act like I'm your caregiver.

Every act is voluntary. Notice how I'm not the one who goes up to people and tell them what to do with their life. It's the opposite where people are approaching me and behaving crazy that I don't like.

golfham

Why do you feel the need to personally attack him? Does his post trigger you that much? If anyone is in need of social interaction, it's you.

I guess this is be one reason why the libertarian dream of a charity based society for the needy won't work, especially without regulations.

To feel like a good person for a few minutes

I thought that's why everyone donated anything at all

Possible Tax advantages.

gohepcat

Banned
Why do you feel the need to personally attack him? Does his post trigger you that much? If anyone is in need of social interaction, it's you.

Well, when someone posts that homeless people are stealing from them because they are not actually looking for money for food and that they will "will protect my assets with force and have the police come arrest you" I try to imagine how that would translate to a real-life scenario. I can't see how a reasonable person that interacts with other human beings could possibly act that way in a public space.... at least not in a way that would allow that person to comfortably exist in polite society.

I'm also curious if you honestly think people know what words like "triggered" and "virtue signaling" mean outside of the dregs of Twitter and 4Chan.

JordanN

Banned
Well, when someone posts that homeless people are stealing from them because they are not actually looking for money for food and that they will "will protect my assets with force and have the police come arrest you" I try to imagine how that would translate to a real-life scenario. I can't see how a reasonable person that interacts with other human beings could possibly act that way in a public space.... at least not in a way that would allow that person to comfortably exist in polite society.

I'm also curious if you honestly think people know what words like "triggered" and "virtue signaling" mean outside of the dregs of Twitter and 4Chan.

If a polite society is doing nothing all your life and then aggressively asking other people for their hard earn money, you can keep it.

My idea of a polite society is everyone has a job and when people ask for money, it's not to benefit themselves but to help create a better world for all hard working people to continue to prosper and build a stronger society that doesn't rely on handouts.

That begging the question logical fallacy.

I know where my money goes when I donate to the Salvation Army. Or my church. Or two missionaries in Africa.

-Minsc-

There have been times I'd have donated blindly. At the moment I feel I shouldn't donate much simply because I feel I'm not in a situation at this point in my life where it's financially feasible.

Zog

Banned
Why do I donate without knowing/approving of where the money goes? Because the government says I am required to pay taxes.

Ubername

Banned

To quote a certain HBO series, you think they sleep under a bridge sober?

Top Bottom