• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do you save noney?

Kazza

source.gif

But seriously, like others have said, freedom. I always want to have at least a years worth of living expenses in cash, just in case. While it could hardly be described as "fuck you money", even that amount gives you the freedom to quick your job whenever you want and be able to deal with unforeseen circumstances. It's crazy how some people are in well payed work, and yet are still always only a couple of missed paychecks away from losing so everything due to high mortgage, debt etc.

Ten_Fold

I feel it’s only worth saving money for coving possible hospital bills or bills in general, I don’t save much because, well can’t take it with you. I’m here for a good time not a long time.

GHG

I keep some saved for a safety net but I’m not one to hoard it all. I enjoy life. You can’t take it with you anyways.

Same here.

And outside of that when I save I tend to save for something.

There are people who save for the sake of saving, so it can sit in the bank. That literally baffles me. If you drop dead tomorrow you can't suddenly use it.

Save for things, whether it be a house, car, bookers, whatever it is you think will make you happy. You'll generally have a much more positive outlook on life than if you save just because it's what you're supposed to do.

Amory

I save money as a matter of course, so it doesn't feel like I'm denying myself anything. Money comes out of my paycheck automatically for retirement, HSA contributions, and short term investments. I don't notice it anymore. And anyway not investing when you have excess cash is just kind of dumb.

Its pretty irresponsible to not save money if you have the means. You're likely to hit a rough patch in life where you need to access a pool of money, why should that be anyone elses burden?

Last edited:

ROMhack

I just don't need much. Spending often increases stress because suddenly you have to do things with the stuff you bought with the little time you already have (assuming you're in full-time work).

I can't deal with flitting around things just to 'experience' it. This reflects the mad world we live in which I don't agree with one bit.

Happy to spend on games when I finish the games I often, etc. Not just because.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i have savings but rarely touch it. i just want to have something there in case shit goes sideways. most of the time if i do spend it is if i don't have enough money in my standard bank to cover the cost of an unexpected bill. a few times i've dipped into it to buy myself something but i pay it back. i like to think of it as my own loan service lol. if i need £200 to put towards a new TV, a new phone, or upgrade my PC i'll take it out but i put it back in.

recently i have been telling myself to loosen up a bit and spend some of it on something to treat myself. i want to go travel a bit so might take a few thousand out. we'll see.

Last edited:

fatty

Like others have said, it is about financial freedom.

Once we are debt free from the mortgage, and after helping out the kids some with college, my wife and I will be in a pretty good spot to dictate how we live our lives and how much we want to work instead of having to work.

Punished Miku

Gold Member

One of the main reasons I support high progressive tax rate. After about $90k a year you really dont need a whole lot else. You can travel anywhere you want. Live wherever you want for the most part. Buy whatever you want.

And some people still flip out at aggressively taxing income OVER $10 million annually. It's crazy to me.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

One of the main reasons I support high progressive tax rate. After about $90k a year you really dont need a whole lot else. You can travel anywhere you want. Live wherever you want for the most part. Buy whatever you want.

And some people still flip out at aggressively taxing income OVER $10 million annually. It's crazy to me.
What if the means by which people wish to "work less" or "stop working" is to start a business and live off the profit while also employing people?

I watched my brother, he’s 8 years older, spend himself into debt repeatedly. Each time my parents bail him out and then he just goes and does it again. I chose to be like my parents who are very fiscally responsible and it has helped with my anxiety so that money isn’t a big issue when it comes time to pay some unexpected bills and some that are expected(personal property tax).

With that said, I’m kinda cheap. I only buy things on sale, I stash a lot of money away, I usually buy a Series or two late iPhone from apples refurb department but I do have cable however due to it being the only way I can get MASN and watch the Nationals. I have a Roth 401K and ESPP. I have a very healthy savings account and I do not live paycheck to paycheck. Also, my house is paid for.

My daughter is the only grandchild and one day she’ll be able to live comfortably and enjoy things in life without the anchor of student loans so that makes me happy.

BigBooper

Because you don't know the future. I've recently had a lot of medical expenses and had to come up with $10k extra a year, I need a new car, and other things. I can afford it but if I also had to stop working then in a couple years I'd be on the street if I didn't have any cash stashed.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Stuff in my house breaks and needs to be replaced on occasion. That stuff gets expensive. Then you always need some in case of job loss.

There's not really a ton of stuff I want to buy. I'd rather put more towards retirement. I am hoping to have the house paid of in 20 years instead of 30, and then maybe retire around 55.

Last edited:
ITT: People who tell others to spend it all as they maybe dead at any moment likely have Credit Card Debts they will never pay because they will die soon. (Might as well get into Debt as you only live once) :LOL:

D-Dude

Our fridge died, and we needed a new bed ( 10 years old). If you don't save you cannot buy those things. We spend €3544 euro this month on those things. We both work, and save €400 per month. For things like this, and holidays, because we like to travel. And next year the new consoles are coming, I want my new TV etc..

Last edited:

Drake

I don't even want to say how much I have most, mostly because people here would never believe me. That said, I call my savings my "fuck you" money. I could be fired from my job today and I could still live the same lifestyle I have now for probably the next 7-10 years just off what I have in the bank.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
What if the means by which people wish to "work less" or "stop working" is to start a business and live off the profit while also employing people?
I dont want to derail further. But there are lots of ways to incentivize healthy economic stimulus, whether it's small business tax exemptions or whatever. Doesn't stop the need for a progressive tax rate in my opinion.

Top Bottom