• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do you think calling someone "retarded" is alright but "faggot" gets you banned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The strange thing to me about the whole "retard" issue is that it's never the person with the disability being offended. Most of them find the word funny. I never quite understood the concept of being offended for someone else.

Also, all derogatory words are the same to me. Moron is Stupid is Retard is Dumb in sentences like "Wow, that guy is being a _____." They all mean the same thing in the sentence you use it in. Again, gay, fruity, feminine, girly, pansy, etc all mean the same thing when used in a particular sentence like "Don't be _____, John". These are mean words of course but if you become offended by them, it should be personal as they are used as personal attacks. They are not dissing mentally retarded people by associating people that aren't actually retarded with retarded people. It's the other way around! You're dissing John and not the adjective. They are not categorizing you, either. They're just words that have a connotation and they know that you don't want to be taken in that connotation because technically you're not; therefore, you take it as an insult as intended.
Some suburban Muslim people don't want to be called Jewish or associate with urban culture.
Some urban Jewish people don't want to be called Muslim or associate with suburban culture.
Which one is the bad word? Jew or Muslim? Urban or Suburban? The answer is neither. It's all about connotation. You are in Category A and you don't want to be associated with Category B. So, when you are you feel misrepresented and uncomfortable.
Generally, these type of "disses" are in good humor. It's when there is no humor that the diss becomes something more -

When you start using words like "retard" or "Jew" in a collective way, that's when people should start being offended as a people because that's exactly how its being used. It's not a personal diss thing anymore. It's about attacking the group that John is in. Examples would be sentences like " _____s are sinners" or "Or great, more _____s in my neighborhood." These offend and belittle a group. It has nothing to do with connotation and everything to do with hate towards of a kind of person. It's not about John anymore, it's about people that are mentally disabled and how they are bad in some way.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Mudkips said:
I always liked Weird Al's explanation about Amish Paradise.
Amish people would never see it, so they couldn't be offended.

Can you really offend a retard? If they don't understand it, how could they be offended?
What about a picture that is mocking of the blind?
Or a song that mocks the deaf?

It boggles the mind.

So I heard you like ban-bait threads?
I think you are thinking of vegetables. people with CP or whatever are still very capable of communicating.

Chumly said:
Its amazing how many people in this thread are ignorantly using this argument. Its not a difficult concept to grasp that stupid, idiot, etc havent been used in forever in anything other than casual insults but on the otherhand retard/retardation very recently used to be a term used to describe someone with developmental disabilities.

Because idiot, stupid, dumb, and moron are all "offensive". They're not used to discribe the developmently disabled anymore because they realized it's demoralizing. They still occasionally refer to mental disabilities as "mental retardation" though according to wikipdeia:

However, in school-based settings, the more specific term mental retardation is still typically used, and is one of 13 categories of disability under which children may be identified for special education services under Public Law 108-446.

So the words that were considered offensive developed common uses, while the word that is still used should be blacklisted? It's confusing. Some posters above said it's because it still has it's ties to the disability, it's more offensive then the others. I would say that if it was no longer a medical term and it was continued to be used, it would eventually loose that tie and adopt it's new meaning. Yes, it's origins have bad intentions, but so do the other words (and many others).

Words are only as strong as you make them. The people trying to ban these words are making them even stronger when they are used. It's like when you were a young child and discovered curse words, they were this terrible thing you shouldn't say, and when you grew up and people stopped caring when you used them, they lost all their power.

Flo_Evans

YellowBird said:
It's because retarded people don't defend themselves or take offense because they don't care or are aware of the offense.
This is false. I have a cousin that is 40 years old with the capacity of a 5 year old. She knows exactly what "retard" means and does not really like to be refered to as such.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
mrklaw said:
aren't we also an organism that relies on heterosexual coupling for its survival?
And individuals who aren't necessarily having heterosexual intercourse to defend and support the rest of the tribe. ;)

Chumly

YellowBird said:
It's because retarded people don't defend themselves or take offense because they don't care or are aware of the offense.
........... and people continue to make asses of themselves.

I can confirm that "the kids" are still using the word "faggot" as a general insult, kind of like my generation did 15-20 years ago when we didn't know any better. I've got a 15-year-old sister-in-law who I've TRIED to convince not to say that shit, but it's hard when ALL of her friends are saying it, too, and they really don't see anything wrong with it.

It's really weird because I thought the generation coming up would be more tolerant of homosexuality than the rest because it's so much more out in the open than ever, but it looks like people aren't really changing their views that quickly.

dammitmattt said:
It's really weird because I thought the generation coming up would be more tolerant of homosexuality than the rest because it's so much more out in the open than ever, but it looks like people aren't really changing their views that quickly.

People using that word in the context of a general curse word are not necessarily homophobic. If they're using it in hatred or are directing it towards homosexuals, then they most likely are.

Tkawsome said:
People using that word in the context of a general curse word are not necessarily homophobic. If they're using it in hatred or are directing it towards homosexuals, then they most likely are.

This day and age, you know what you're saying. And they don't use it in a "tongue in cheek" way like a lot of people (both homosexual and not) do.

Like I said, 15-20 years ago, we had no clue. The kids these days are much more educated.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
dammitmattt said:
Like I said, 15-20 years ago, we had no clue. The kids these days are much more educated.

we knew what it meant, and we knew it was a hurtful word, we just had society behind us in thinking homosexuality was abnormal/wrong. We shouldn't make excuses for our past behavior.

levious said:
we knew what it meant, and we knew it was a hurtful word, we just had society behind us in thinking homosexuality was abnormal/wrong. We shouldn't make excuses for our past behavior.

Speak for yourself. I and everyone I knew was completely ignorant.

dammitmattt said:
This day and age, you know what you're saying. And they don't use it in a "tongue in cheek" way like a lot of people (both homosexual and not) do.

15-20 years ago you knew what that word meant too, and it was less likely to have the same meaning it does today. It's not a good thing for them to say, but saying it as a general curse word does not mean they hate gay people. The word homophobic is thrown around way too much.

levious

dammitmattt said:
Speak for yourself. I and everyone I knew was completely ignorant.

you didn't know what a homosexual was? What age are we talking about?

levious said:
you didn't know what a homosexual was? What age are we talking about?

I'm thinking back to 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades. 20+ years ago for me when I vividly remember EVERYONE throwing the term around as a general insult. I can't remember when I learned about homosexuality, but I definitely never, ever remember thinking that the word "faggot" was anything but a general insult when I was that young.

And people, quit fucking telling me what I knew and didn't know. This isn't about me. The whole point was about TODAY'S YOUTH.

Tarazet

Dark Octave said:
Yeah, probably one of those things that will grow on you and sound natural after a while.

I think "special" is already starting to take on a similar meaning to "retarded."

levious

dammitmattt said:
I'm thinking back to 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades. 20+ years ago for me when I vividly remember EVERYONE throwing the term around as a general insult. I can't remember when I learned about homosexuality, but I definitely never, ever remember thinking that the word "faggot" was anything but a general insult when I was that young.

And people, quit fucking telling me what I knew and didn't know. This isn't about me. The whole point was about TODAY'S YOUTH.

that's a bit too much anger if it's directed at me... anyway, I won't speak for you, but I don't think you can speak for all of your friends either, unless you've discussed this now as adults. I certainly knew what homosexuality was at that age, certainly by 5th grade, I really don't think that was unusual either.

MIMIC

Banned
BitchTits said:
Yeah... yeah.

Some gay men call each other fags all the time, some don't mind, some do mind. The word nigger is used in a similar way between some Black people. That is where I was drawing the comparison, only there.

Black people don't refer to each other as niggers in a "jovial fashion". That's how offensive it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom