• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does Final Fantasy VI get so much love?

Gravijah

iidesuyo said:
Maybe it's just a matter of taste. Someone mentioned the many characters in Suikoden, even when they only were part of a side story, I'd care more for them than the frog or the princess in CT.

Well, sure. Life would be pretty boring if everyone felt the exact same way!

iidesuyo

Aeana said:
The characters in Chrono Trigger are like most things Yuji Horii does. He takes something that's "generic" and adds little details that make them shine. It's something not everybody appreciates, especially not in the west.

I think I would have appreciated it back in 1995, when it was "new". But that robot reminded me of Tio from Grandia II, the crazy inventor was like Neal in Illusion of Time, the princess has been like the girl in SoM. We can start discussing, but well... Chrono Trigger didn't impress me, that's the way it is. At least it was short.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Magnus said:
Two questions:

1. Were the EU and JP releases of VI on the PSone (via collections or standalone) plagued with the same problems as FFA's version in North America? Inaccurate sound emulation and crap load times were the main offenders.

2. Is that the version you got on the EU and JP PSN stores this year?

Yes and yes.

Just assume that any PSN release of a PSX game is going to be an unchanged port of said PSX game; loads, audio issues, even most glitches.

Aeana said:
The characters in Chrono Trigger are like most things Yuji Horii does. He takes something that's "generic" and adds little details that make them shine. It's something not everybody appreciates, especially not in the west.

I think that it's hard to appreciate because it's hard (for me at least) to explain why these characters are not generic without resorting to vague wishy-washy terms like "feel" "character" or "appealing." If you just spell it out, nothing in Chrono Trigger is that impressive, silent protagonist, smart scientist girl, runaway princess, knight with a broken sword. It's just hard to explain exactly what puts them a cut above so many other characters that fill the same role in a much lesser fashion in different games. They do I just can't easily articulate why.

scosher

Looking at this screen makes me wonder why this game has yet to ever get a remake by Square. Game is so old they don't even have enough characters to fully spell out Dirt Dragon.

ff6.jpg

Maybe they're afraid to touch a classic.

DaBuddaDa

TheFightingFish said:
I think that it's hard to appreciate because it's hard (for me at least) to explain why these characters are not generic without resorting to vague wishy-washy terms like "feel" "character" or "appealing." If you just spell it out, nothing in Chrono Trigger is that impressive, silent protagonist, smart scientist girl, runaway princess, knight with a broken sword. It's just hard to explain exactly what puts them a cut above so many other characters that fill the same role in a much lesser fashion in different games. They do I just can't easily articulate why.
Did you happen to play it for the first time between the ages of 5 and 13? If so, that's the Why.

DaBuddaDa said:
Did you happen to play it for the first time between the ages of 5 and 13? If so, that's the Why.

Might be so, I'm not one to discount nostalgia as a big reason. I just don't think that other JRPGs from the same era that I played and enjoyed then had the same sticking ability. I've been replaying some classic JRPGs on the bus recently (only place I have time for RPGs anymore). And while many of them lost their luster, Phantasy Star IV I'm looking at you here, Chrono Trigger was the most enjoyable to replay by a large margin. Might be that I found the gameplay less dated and as my annoyance with the game was lessened I was free to enjoy the characters more? Not really sure.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
scosher said:
Looking at this screen makes me wonder why this game has yet to ever get a remake by Square. Game is so old they don't even have enough characters to fully spell out Dirt Dragon.

ff6.jpg

Maybe they're afraid to touch a classic.

They already retranslated it once.

(Even the PSX version had slight alterations!)

jaxword

GaimeGuy said:
Kefka was the first subject of Cid's magicite injection experiments to create super soldiers for the empire. The process was unrefined at that point, and destroyed kefka's mind.

That's what I said, dude. That's the exact line from the random npc. It's never mentioned ever again.

Big One

Banned
charlequin said:
Because FFV is next in line!
Yep this is reasonable.

Though I wonder how they're going to make up time for FFIV collection having TWO games in it. FFV and FFVI pack in PSP remake, perhaps? Would be a great sendoff to the system.

Top Bottom