• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does GTA5 (current gen) look better than Watch Dogs (next gen)?

borius

Neo Member
This game will not have high contrast realtime self shadows, and Colour corrections as well as high quality blur.

And it is the same scene, same house blowing up.

New trailers have self shadows. The lighting and scene are different(different trevor position, distance from camera, moonlight), and using blur imho is not bullshooting.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Have we even seen actual GTAV gameplay fotage? Conversely, all that we've seen of WD is gameplay, and looked pretty stupidly above any other open world game in terms of tech and execution, that I can't believe that there is point to this discussion.

Even comparing purely mocapped GTAV stuff with gameplay from WD, you can still see how much more impressive WD is.

Clothing animation? sure (even though RedDead already had it, and Max Payn3 too, for the suits).
For character's animations? I doubt it, Euphoria is fantastic especially when it comes to non-canned animations (like the man being shot in the gif above).
Euphoria has so far been kind of crap for player controlled characters. Among the teams that you quoted for best animation, R* so far would be a distant 3rd when it comes to how your own character animates and behaves.

UrbanRats

gtav.jpg

All their video trailers are also color corrected and reduced to 24fps with frame blending, and other video editing tricks to really sell you on something it isn't.

AC team does it well. AC studio Sofia on vita sure has some nice bullshots too. But that's a different team than the Watch Dogs guys.

If you watch the RDR trailers, they're equal or worse than the final game.
Max Payne 3 is even worse than the PC version maxed out.

Meanwhile Ubisoft had that embarrassingly better demo of Far Cry 3 at E3, that not even the PC version maxed out can reach.

Fjordson

Have we even seen actual GTAV gameplay fotage? Conversely, all that we've seen of WD is gameplay, and looked pretty stupidly above any other open world game in terms of tech and execution, that I can't believe that there is point to this discussion.
At least half of what we've seen of GTA V is gameplay. All of Rockstar's trailers looks exactly like the final game, just from different camera angles. We don't know what the HUD will look like I guess, but we certainly know what the overall game will look like.

And I'm not sure what the point of this comparison is either. It's sort of a given that a 2013 PC game like WD Is going to look better than a PS3 game.

Top Bottom