• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does Microsoft not just end this generation earlier than planned?

Stare-Bear

Banned
Just like Destiny sold best physically on PS4?

Calling Master Chief Collection insignificant is pretty hilarious... Horizon 2 is pretty clearly the best racing game of the year, so nothing insignificant about that and Sunset Overdrive is finally something different and sets itself apart from every other game releasing this holiday.

Whether or not Sunset Overdrive will be significant for Microsoft is up in the air but for Insomniac this is their baby and we should all be hoping for the best for them as a company.

Terrible idea and it would never work with the console.

The biggest problem with the console is frame rendering size vs ESRAM size and not raw power. Games like Horizon 2 show that forward rendering plus is a good way around this problem so it will be interesting to see how this turns out going into the future.

Didn't Horizon 2 only sell 120k in the US?

When has sales numbers ever determine how good a game is?(Or anything else for that matter.)

Also do you have any sources on that number?

It doesn't, obviously, but your post was about the game's significance, which is next to none in the grand scheme of things. I think SO will do almost as bad as Horizon 2. But again, low sales don't mean a game is bad.

That number came from either aquamarine or creamsugar.

Also important to note that the 120k, was the combined sales (not just X1) between 360 and X1.

I am sure some people at MS are probably looking at making a OG Xbox style early cut off for the XB1 but I dont think anything like that would be seriously looked at until after next holiday.

Next holiday should do gangbusters for them with Halo, Forza and maybe a Slim XB1 and price drop and thats only safe bets, who knows what else they will have. If all that doesn't get things moving then yeah.. I bet early 16 will have some serious internal talks at MS.

I am sure some people at MS are probably looking at making a OG Xbox style early cut off for the XB1 but I dont think anything like that would be seriously looked at until after next holiday.

Next holiday should do gangbusters for them with Halo, Forza and maybe a Slim XB1 and price drop and thats only safe bets, who knows what else they will have. If all that doesn't get things moving then yeah.. I bet early 16 will have some serious internal talks at MS.

And even then, the reason they were able to do that with the 360 is because Sony completely messed up on the PS3. I don't think they're going to give MS that advantage this time.

Furyous

They were combined between the Xbox 360 & Xbox One versions.

That can't be right. I refuse to believe those numbers are correct. I thought it was racing game of the year?

This is a very bad idea on a number of fronts. You're looking at years and hundreds of millions of dollars to plan a new console. Whatever competitive advantage this gives Microsoft gets minimized x years later when the next gen systems release. In other words, Microsoft puts themselves in a hypothetical position of playing catchup every few years. What would an Xbox Two offer over an X1?

FordGTGuy

Banned
It doesn't, obviously, but your post was about the game's significance, which is next to none in the grand scheme of things. I think SO will do almost as bad as Horizon 2. But again, low sales don't mean a game is bad.

Also important to note that the 120k, was the combined sales (not just X1) between 360 and X1.

Not sure if I believe that 120k number for combined physical sales in the US when even random speed traps in the game have leader boards over 250k+.

The digital sales would have to be insanely high in a world where physical copies still outsell digital versions.

Not sure if I believe that 120k number for combined physical sales in the US when even random speed traps in the game have leader boards over 250k+.

It's not about believing, it's a fact. Granted, that was for Sept, so it could have sold more throughout Oct., Not to mention Digital sales (and of course, ROW figures), but yea, it didn't do great.

Again though, that's not to say it's a bad game, heck my copy is on it's way. It's just that in terms of sales, it's not very significant.

CLEEK

The thread makes no sense, but can you honesly say the xbox is doing well? Are we going to conviniently forget about every where else outside the uk and us?

I think people just look at the NPD threads and think the same thing plays out everywhere, when it obviously doesn't.

The XB1 is dead in Asia, and barely registers in Europe outside of the UK. It's getting outsold by the PS4 by 7:1 in Spain for instance.

The two key markets for the Xbox brand in US and UK have both seen the substantial market share lead it had last gen eroded. It's been outsold month-on-month since launch.

The above isn't a sustainable situation. Something had to give.

N.Domixis

Banned

The digital sales would have to be insanely high in a world where physical copies still outsell digital versions.

Aren't those WW stats though?

Oh and just out of curiosity. Have we gotten a update on WW XB1 sales since the 5 million shipped back in April?

Surely they had a quarterly report or something since then.

FordGTGuy

Banned
It's not about believing, it's a fact. Granted, that was for Sept, so it could have sold more throughout Oct., Not to mention Digital sales, but yea, it didn't do great.

Again though, that's not to say it's a bad game, heck my copy is on it's way. It's just that in terms of sales, it's not very significant.

If it can sale any consoles at all it is significant.

What we can see in the actual game is fact too...

When there are leader boards with 524k+ hits than that is a lot of missing sales.

Are you really saying your feelz trump NPD realz?

Not counting digital or outside of US sales doesn't help.

Aren't those WW stats though?

If it's based on NPD than no it's not.

If it can sale any consoles at all it is significant.

What we can see in the actual game is fact too...

When there are leader boards with 524k+ hits than that is a lot of missing sales.

If you count in ROW sales, Digital, as well as Oct Sales, and multiple accounts on one system, I'm pretty sure it adds up. Probably not to 524k, but I think by now it should have done a good 400k WW.

FordGTGuy

Banned
If you count in ROW sales, Digital, as well as Oct Sales, and multiple accounts on one system, I'm pretty sure it adds up. Probably not to 524k, but I think by now it should have done a good 400k WW.

Forza games are known to have legs and not known to sell tons at launch.

The amount Forza 5 sold was honestly a surprise although probably mainly pushed by it being one of a few launch titles.

I would consider 400k+ before the holidays with a racing game pretty good.

Doesn't matter what console you put out if the fanbase won't follow you. Cut the X1 off to early and the current X1 fans won't follow you to the next console in your lineup.

barit

Oh and just out of curiosity. Have we gotten a update on WW XB1 sales since the 5 million shipped back in April?

No and that alone should tell you enough that MS is in deep trouble WW. I bet they still struggle with the 6 mio. shipped/sold in.

I think xbone two won't be out until another 4 yrs but people are spending 400-500 on phones every 2 yrs

ideally, as long as U buy the game license via Xbox live U should be able to play that game on xbone one, two, pc, tablet... All with varying performance

Cellphone and console market are entirely different.

XB1 shipments were 5M as per FY2014 Q3, then for the next quarterly report MS announced 1.1M shipments of X360 and XB1 combined

Judging by YOY trends for quarterly shipments of the 360, I would guess the XB1 itself shipped 500k - 600k in Q4 which would total up to around 5.5M - 5.6M shipped until June 30th, 2014

The next quareterly report for MS is tomorrow so that should be interesting. MS is likely at least 6M shipped for XB1 but I doubt they'll tell us

Felessan

The XBox One is among the 4 fastest selling consoles as far as NPD is concerned.
You should exclude launch numbers as previous generation were way too long and there was a lot a accumulated demand for a launch.

It'll cost them quite a lot of money, like 1 or 2 billion on R&D and marketing to sweeten pill for publishers (those don't usually like it as production cycle at around 2 years now), and they are still in red across all xbox division. I really doubt they will pull such trick as it seems that MS now trying to recouperate some money instead of throwing them into fire.
This is understandable as pure gaming business is not really a priority for MS - it doesn't have real synergy with core MS businesses, it's no longer follow original idea of having a gateway to living room (as consoles failed to get this niche) and it's not really promises a huge profits.

MilkyJoe

It's not about believing, it's a fact. Granted, that was for Sept, so it could have sold more throughout Oct., Not to mention Digital sales (and of course, ROW figures), but yea, it didn't do great.

It's not a fact

FIrstly it was launched on the 30th September in NA so that would be 120k copies sold in one day in th US, not a whole month of september.

But the actual sales were 366K in it's first week, 267K on Xbox One and half of those were in the US.

How many copies have sold worldwide in the last 4 weeks? How many will sell for Christmas? Give it more than a days numbers before you start using sales as ammo.

It's a great game and that's all that matters, If you have an box buy it, easily the best game on the console. And if you don't, hoping that it sells badly is not going to change the fact you won't be able to play it.

http://www.********.com/article/252005/forza-horizon-2-sells-366k-first-week-xbox-one-sales-up-25/

le.phat

Just like Destiny sold best physically on PS4?

Why are you specifying the kind of sales? destiny did 't just sell physically, did it? That game absolutely sold best on ps4, who gives a shit if the majority of the sales came from digital, bundles, physical or whatever.

Calling Master Chief Collection insignificant is pretty hilarious... Horizon 2 is pretty clearly the best racing game of the year, so nothing insignificant about that and Sunset Overdrive is finally something different and sets itself apart from every other game releasing this holiday.

Whether or not Sunset Overdrive will be significant for Microsoft is up in the air but for Insomniac this is their baby and we should all be hoping for the best for them as a company.

I'm not calling the actual games insignificant, but i am calling their (hardware)sales potential as opposed to GTA 5, AC5, COD etc. Insignificant. FH2 is a great example of this.
SSO won't boost sales in a meaningful way,
and the MCC, while huge, has a very big chance of facing a titanfall situation, where most of its sales potential lies with excisting owners, simply because the fans picked up the console already, with all the deals going on and whatnot.

Remember, my post was written as a reply to someone stating that x1 'actually has games', therefore outselling the ps4 this holiday.

It's not a fact

FIrstly it was launched on the 30th September in NA so that would be 120k copies sold in one day in th US, not a whole month of september.

But the actual sales were 366K in it's first week, 267K on Xbox One and half of those were in the US.

How many copies have sold worldwide in the last 4 weeks? How many will sell for Christmas? Give it more than a days numbers before you start using sales as ammo.

It's a great game and that's all that matters, If you have an box buy it, easily the best game on the console. And if you don't, hoping that it sells badly is not going to change the fact you won't be able to play it.

http://www.********.com/article/252005/forza-horizon-2-sells-366k-first-week-xbox-one-sales-up-25/

lol citing chartz. Always conducive to a good sales debate

Also the NPD tracking period for September ran until Oct. 4th so FH2 had 5 days of tracking. Which by the way so did Shadows of Mordor, the XB1 version of which managed to outsell the XB1 and 360 versions of FH2 combined

It's not a fact

lol... Chartz fake numbers strike again.

NPD counted 5 days for FH2
= 120k combined for Xbone+X360.

AmyS

Tech-GAF:

Do you guys feel that with the future next-gen consoles (Microsoft, Sony) of late 2018 or more likely, 2019, will have hardware reasonably strong enough to run games at native 4K with most being ~30fps but at least the possibility of some at 60fps, if a developer decides to target that framerate ?

I mean, on PlayStation 3 at launch in 2006, we did have Ridge Racer 7 in native 1080p, 60fps. Now sure, native 1080p60 was very rare last gen, but not unheard of.

Obviously the HDMI spec would need to be at least 2.0, but that exists in the new Nvidia Maxwell cards right now in fall 2014.

As far as whatever the GPU performance of the next Xbox and PS5 might be, naturally there would need to be an increase in ROPs (up from 16 and 32 in Xbox One and PS4 respectively) as well as much higher memory bandwidth. Probably 3D stacked RAM / HBM, plus the expected increase in shader processors combined with higher clockspeed producing a greater TFLOPs count, and not to mention more CPU performance

Some significant increase in overall performance (CPU, GPU, memory bandwidth) is expected (or else why have a next gen at all), and we won't know what that might be for years since those consoles at best are only now barely in the earliest stages of planning (let alone development) but given:

(1) time frame of probably Fall 2019 (2) smaller manufacturing processes (3) gains in power efficiency, (4) a nice leap in bandwidth from 3D stacked RAM (5) the natural increase in transistors from Moore's Law, might it be enough for the majority of next gen console games in to be native 4K at 30 frames per second and a small minority to be 4K 60 frames per second during those console's first 2 or so years on the market (2019 ~ 2021) ?

Obviously at the very least we're talking 4 more years down the road, and much more likely, 5 years.

timlot

Banned
lol... Chartz fake numbers strike again.

NPD counted 5 days for FH2
= 120k combined for Xbone+X360.

Today is Oct. 23. Folks are arguing a few days of physical copy sales yet we are almost a month after reIease. I bought mine digitally on Oct. 6 so I wouldn't be counted by NPD for Sept. or the fact I bought digital.

LosDaddie

Banned
This thread is real, right? The OP was serious, right?

Yes, I'm sure most of GAF would absolutely love for MS to publicly admit failure, and announce a new console this early. GAF is known for its Sony-love, after all. But in the real world, there's no reason for MS to do so. The X1 won't come in first place, but it can still be a very profitable machine for MS.

Yes, I'm sure most of GAF would absolutely love for MS to publicly admit failure, and announce a new console this early. GAF is known for its Sony-love, after all. But in the real world, there's no reason for MS to do so. The X1 won't come in first place, but it can still be a very profitable machine for MS.

You weren't around for the last generation?

Biker19

Banned

C'mon with that, dude. Sony has been given a lot of flack here with both PS3 & PSP back in 2005-2007 (if not nearly the whole generation).

RedSwirl

If we wanna talk big guns and 2015, 2015 seems to be when this console generation really get's started from a software standpoint, for everyone.

Usually the first year of each console generation is kind of lukewarm software-wise. The games are kind of okay, and today the OSs are still getting up to speed (on that, it really sucks that the Xbox and PlayStation OSs can't just build on top of what existed on the previous console. Next gen better not restart the OS features from zero.). Usually the first Christmas season after launch is when the real shit start's showing up. Fall 2001 marked that point for the PS2. Gears in 2006 marked that point for the Xbox 360. Fall 2007 marked that point for the PS3 and Wii, and even further so for the 360. The wave for this gen was supposed to start around now with Batman, Witcher 3, and Evolve, but all that got delayed. Six months from now, shit's gonna be feeling very real.

Tech-GAF:

Do you guys feel that with the future next-gen consoles (Microsoft, Sony) of late 2018 or more likely, 2019, will have hardware reasonably strong enough to run games at native 4K with most being ~30fps but at least the possibility of some at 60fps, if a developer decides to target that framerate ?

I mean, on PlayStation 3 at launch in 2006, we did have Ridge Racer 7 in native 1080p, 60fps. Now sure, native 1080p60 was very rare last gen, but not unheard of.

Obviously the HDMI spec would need to be at least 2.0, but that exists in the new Nvidia Maxwell cards right now in fall 2014.

As far as whatever the GPU performance of the next Xbox and PS5 might be, naturally there would need to be an increase in ROPs (up from 16 and 32 in Xbox One and PS4 respectively) as well as much higher memory bandwidth. Probably 3D stacked RAM / HBM, plus the expected increase in shader processors combined with higher clockspeed producing a greater TFLOPs count, and not to mention more CPU performance

Some significant increase in overall performance (CPU, GPU, memory bandwidth) is expected (or else why have a next gen at all), and we won't know what that might be for years since those consoles at best are only now barely in the earliest stages of planning (let alone development) but given:

(1) time frame of probably Fall 2019 (2) smaller manufacturing processes (3) gains in power efficiency, (4) a nice leap in bandwidth from 3D stacked RAM (5) the natural increase in transistors from Moore's Law, might it be enough for the majority of next gen console games in to be native 4K at 30 frames per second and a small minority to be 4K 60 frames per second during those console's first 2 or so years on the market (2019 ~ 2021) ?

Obviously at the very least we're talking 4 more years down the road, and much more likely, 5 years.

Hardware predictions this early in the game will always end up false (including the one below). no real reason to debate them.
But to answer your question probably
not

AmyS

Hardware predictions this early in the game will always end up false (including the one below). no real reason to debate them.
But to answer your question probably
not

So the best we might be looking at for the next generation consoles in ~5 years sounds like 4K at 30fps and a lot of sub-4K games upscaled.

Top Bottom