• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why don’t Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport have the Toyota Camry?

Celcius

°Temp. member
These are games where you can drive not only the fastest super cars but also drive your every day Honda Accord. Yet, somehow the Toyota Camry, one of the best selling and most popular cars of all time is never included. The closest thing is the NASCAR Camry models, which aren’t really Camrys. There are hundreds of cars and some cars have like 20 different versions. Should GT 7 and FM 8 include the Camry in your opinion? If so, only the latest model, or add all the old models too like they do for Civics and such?

(yes, I drive a Camry in real life and want to upgrade and drive it in the game too lol)

Banjo64

cumsessed
Not really, Camry is extremely famous around the middle east as well and one of the most sold cars ever along with Land Cruisers, Corollas.
Are they imported but not sold there officially or something? Wiki backs you up, but then only lists like 5 countries where they are sold.

The Middle East, as well as Eastern Europe, each have seen the Camry sell well, with Western Europe previously having small amounts exported.

Turn 10 make Forza Motorsport in Seattle, Washington, USA.
I’m a muppet to be fair.

I drive a 2018 Camry and yeah it’s kinda lame, I think it has more to do with the Camry not being a huge focus for Toyota in Japan. They should at least add the TRD Camry to the line up though.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
toyota GIF

Bmw Sunrise GIF by Curated Stance!

Toyota has the blueprint for vehicles, drive basic, get the job done cars.

FeldMonster

Toyota Camrys are so boring that drivers are apt to fall asleep and crash. So no, keep them out of racing games other than their NASCAR "equivalent".

BlackTron

Gold Member
I bought my car to the shop yesterday and saw this thread while pumping gas into my dad's Camry I just borrowed lol.

It is the bog-standard reliable car and defines "dad car". Literally the most generic car of all time.

Not too flashy, not too cheap, not trying to do anything special, not failing at anything either Being the "standard ass car" led to it being the most popular in the U.S. for a good while.

*Nightwing

If they add the camery, they then have to add the whole picking up and having affairs with soccer moms side game to it, otherwise the camery experience will be incomplete. GT and Forza just not ready for this level of realism yet, but one day!

Skifi28

Gold Member
You can ask the same question about thousands of cars. "Why does a game with a limited number of cars doesn't have that one specific car I like".

It's a combination of finite developer resources and licensing deals with manufacturers, there's no single answer why the car is or isn't in the game.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Primarily only sold in 2 markets (US and Australia). I’d never heard of one until I’ve just searched it now. Probably no where near popular enough, especially in the UK and Japan where these games are made.
If that were true we'd have my old car from the UK, these things were everywhere!

Vu3nfCT.jpg

And wheres this?

3hQBwmr.jpg

Or this!? Mk2 transit!

JCK75

Two weeks ago when I took a vacation in Florida the Camry was my rental car, that automated nonsense drove me nuts.. on a road with construction you had to cross over lines and it would just beep like crazy every time you crossed one..

Fredrik

I had a -87 Camry back in the days ❤️

Where’s Skoda though? My beastly Superb with a backseat bigger than a small living room already does 0-100kmph in 7.6 seconds, I want to upgrade it to a monster and race against a Tesla, why aren’t you letting me do that MS/Playground?!!!

ne1butu

They recently took the car off sale in the UK due to extremely low sales. No wonder, who in their right mind would buy one when you could have a 3 series for the same price (32k ish). Shocking interior also.

BigBeauford

Gold Member
That's because it's an appliance and not an enthusiast vehicle. I still have nightmares about the Toyota commercials trying to paint these vehicles as sporty.

"It's grounded to the ground"!

lem0n

I've always wanted "normal" cars in my racing games. I feel like I'm in the minority but how fun could that be! Racing a Camry around the Nurburgring or something seems hilarious to me. I love the Ferraris and Porsches as much as the next guy but some variety would be rad. I'd also like to see what adding racing tires and brakes to a stock Camry would do to it's lap times and go and compare against something like an M3. A few of my friends and I would do this in Gran Turismo with the Prius.

The only game I can think of that had a full roster of truly regular cars is Vanishing Point on the PS1/Dreamcast. There was a huge bonus car list that consisted of stuff like the Lincoln Towncar, BMW 328i and Ford Windstar minivan.

• Love
Reactions: TLZ

Fredrik

That's because it's an appliance and not an enthusiast vehicle. I still have nightmares about the Toyota commercials trying to paint these vehicles as sporty.

"It's grounded to the ground"!
For an old man’s vehicle it wasn’t the worst you could have. 9.4 seconds up to 100kmph iirc. My next car was a SAAB 9-3 -98, 130hp was more than the Camry but it felt like a snail in comparison, I think that engine model only existed for like a year because it was so underpowered. Still had it for 14 years 🤭

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Wish I could drive a 2013 Toyota Prius in Horizon 5

It sucks.

I'll never realize my dream of driving a Toyota Camry in real life, I want to have the chance to experience it in a virtual world, at least.

but...but...USA = the entire world.

Car games based on being able to drive just about everything missing one of, if not the most popular cars in one of the worlds biggest car markets is a strange omission. These games have tons of obscure cars that are in limited markets so I'm not sure what the point of this comment is.

Utherellus

Kinda offtopic but...

Are not you guys disappointed that mainstream Racing Sims don't have everyday, casual cars?

Like, I would be more excited to try Camry or Mercedes C class on track, rather than Ferrari and Nissan GT.

Because most of us never touched those super/hypercars and can't compare real handling to ingame handling.

I just want to push the accelerator all the way down on that Prius or Chevy Malibu, do burnouts and drifting. Do things with those cars which I can not do irl.

It just kinda takes you out of immersion.

Last edited:
Kinda offtopic but...

Are not you guys disappointed that mainstream Racing Sims don't have everyday, casual cars?

Like, I would be more excited to try Camry or Mercedes C class on track, rather than Ferrari and Nissan GT.

Because most of us never touched those super/hypercars and can't compare real handling to ingame handling.

I just want to push the accelerator all the way down on that Prius or Chevy Malibu, do burnouts and drifting. Do things with those cars which I can not do irl.

It just kinda takes you out of immersion.

Kinda, but I understand why they don't. Most real hardcore sims don't have the kind of budget to have massive vehicle rosters, so its a matter of priorities. I don't think a hardcore sim that has mostly grocery-getter cars would sell well.

scalman

why dont they have hundreds other rare cars that some people like , but they not in game.. yes why ? i mean duhh

AJUMP23

I go outside and drive this anytime I want. I take it to my office I take it to the store, I take it to my kids school, I don't need it in Forza that is for sure.
2021-toyota-sienna-unveiled-as-bold-new-hybrid-minivan-with-available-awd_4.jpg

Top Bottom