• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why gyro assisted aiming is not common thing on PS4 (consoles)?

Gator86

Splatoon also doesn't have any assistance like in other console shooters too. Maybe that's the issue? I mean, you don't necessarily need assistance for the type of game it is and how some weapons have a wider spread than others. But it definitely was designed around gyro first and foremost, yeah.

A more traditional shooter could keep the assistance when gyro is off. Should be no issue.

Nah, I've played games with no aim assist. Killzone Shadowfall felt great and it features zero aim assist. Given it was an exclusive for Nintendo and they were trying to justify the game pad, it wouldn't be surprising if it was designed entirely around gyro and they just never put effort into making it feel not terrible without it.

It's a different type of shooter man.

I mean, I don't think you ever want your controls to feel like shit regardless of what kind of shooter it is.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Because it mostly sucks.

If it was actually good, more games would use it.

It's like saying "But Kinect works GREAT in Dance Central, why don't more games use Kinect?"

Acerac

Banned
Because it mostly sucks.

It's like saying "But Kinect works GREAT in Dance Central, why don't more games use Kinect?"

It works excellently for games in the correct genre.

I would genuinely be confused if a bunch of dance games came out for the Xone and didn't use Kinect, yes. Like this, it would seem like a real oversight from the devs.

LordRaptor

Again, its impossible to say that when most games don't even offer the option.

Take a straw poll with people who have used the Steam Controller which offers this as a controller feature, not a specific game feature, and you will find the response to be very positive - it is vastly superior to the existing dual stick compromise solution that is ADS

Snakeyes

Man, the Switch's control scheme would be on another level if the right JoyCon had an IR pointer on top. Analog sticks for movement and most of the aiming, pointer for small adjustments.

RPGam3r

I hope this doesn't become a standard, I don't like it and would prefer the game felt good with just dual analog.

Leatherface

Splatoon has the absolute best FPS controls on consoles. Gyro assisted controls are seriously the next level and need to be a thing. I completely agree OP!

I hope this doesn't become a standard, I don't like it and would prefer the game felt good with just dual analog.

Not a single person wants it to become the standard as the only option. This thread is about wanting it as an option, since it's worked so damn well in the few games that has it.

Leatherface

Coming from mouse and keyboard, the gyro controls in Splatoon gave me hope for making the FPS genre on consoles playable again (for me).

Acerac

Banned

I get you, I know I've not purchased a single FPS where dual analog was the only option.

Sucks to only have one questionable option when playing these games.

a916

Killzone Mercenaries had it on Vita and it was glorious.

Also on Uncharted Golden Abyss, so amazing. It's such a great tool for finite movements

I don't really want the option. I would prefer console FPS be balanced and designed with dual analog in mind and not rely on fine tuned movement from gyro.

It would be a balanced considering everyone has on a PS4 would have a DS4...

RPGam3r

Also on Uncharted Golden Abyss, so amazing. It's such a great tool for finite movements

It would be a balanced considering everyone has on a PS4 would have a DS4...

That makes it less of an option and more like a passive requirement to use it. So no, still not on onboard.

DBT85

That makes it less of an option and more like a passive requirement to use it. So no, still not on onboard.

So lets say your favouritest shooter with the bestest controls added it in. What would you do? Be narked that it makes people better and stop playing?

kubricks

And no one mentioned Gravity Daze on Vita. ;(
Using gyro aiming while flying through the city was glorious.

I mean, you're basically saying to intentionally limit aiming capability and artificially raise the skill floor (not ceiling, *floor*) because "I dun wanna".

Syntsui

I'm sure they have data of the amount of people that used this kind of feature in games that had it (on PS3). Maybe the number was so small it literally makes no sense to waste time implementing it.

Nanashrew

Banned
I'm sure they have data of the amount of people that used this kind of feature in games that had it (on PS3). Maybe the number was so small it literally makes no sense to waste time implementing it.

PS3 shouldn't be the gauge though because it was the worst. It felt like it barely functioned and I tried to avoid it when I could and still do. Gyro today is much more advanced and sooo much better over whatever was in the PS3.

After Splatoon I can't go back to playing shooters on consoles. It's so stiff and clunky I'd rather just be playing on my PC. Don't understand why sony doesn't make the most of it.

Splatoon has the absolute best FPS controls on consoles. Gyro assisted controls are seriously the next level and need to be a thing. I completely agree OP!
Is this the only fpser you've actually played monteol controls with? Lol IR pointer fspers like the cod franchise and metroid prime trilogy/3 on the Wii and Wii u blow it away.

Roto13

Because you all shrieked nonstop about how terrible motion controls were last generation and now the industry is afraid to use them.

hesido

Because you all shrieked nonstop about how terrible motion controls were last generation and now the industry is afraid to use them.

Also this. To the point that they didn't bother adding it and making it optional with default off. To the point they removed the feature that already had it. :(

Neoxon

Because it mostly sucks.

But how would we know if it isn't used in games that much? It worked amazingly for Splatoon, to the point where a majority of Splatoon players leave gyro on.

Games should at least offer the option. If you don't like it, turn it off.

DBT85

The only time during Golden Abyss where it pissed me off was when I was on a train coming home from work lol.

Didn't even realise the steam controller had it. Since I have one, I'll have a go with that.

Because not all console have that feature.

Not sure what the argument here is given that cross-play is non-existent.

Is this the only fpser you've actually played monteol controls with? Lol IR pointer fspers like the cod franchise and metroid prime trilogy/3 on the Wii and Wii u blow it away.

Way more of a paradigm change compared to Splatoon though, and has some arguable downsides like sensor bar X hand positioning.

trugs26

My guess is because they don't want to create a divide where some people will be advantageous with the motion controls (faster aiming) and others using traditional controls will be at a disadvantage.

And it seems that the general perception of motion controls is negative, so a lot of players will have it disabled, then they will get owned online, then that might negatively impact the game's sales performance or something like that. Given how popular the FPS genre is, shaking up something fundamental such as the control scheme is very risky. You can't simply have it as an option, because you'll instantly put a lot of people at a disadvantage - a risk a lot of developers don't want to take.

I love Splatoon's controls. I personally hope it catches on.

Branduil

It should be the standard for console FPS games. It makes them actually playable without obscene amounts of aim assist.

RPGam3r

You are doing a lot of mental gymnastics just to avoid getting something that's better simply because it's not common right now.

I don't think it is better. No mental gymnastics needed just a little understanding that different opinions exist. Where one may see something awesome another may see something poor.

Dizzan

MINI Member
The wiimote was the best. They should bring something like that out (do those sticks with ball lights on the end do that?)

Backlogger

Hmmm I must be doing gyro aiming completely wrong because it feels super unatural, inaccurate and clunky to me. I've tried different configs in different games and honestly find a standard Xbox controller to be easier to aim.

What am I doing wrong?

antibolo

Banned
I find it amazing how after all those years, Xbox controllers still don't have gyro.

People like to shit on gyro controls but there are still valid use cases for them.

But because of fucking Microsoft, that feature remains non-universal so it remains barely used...

SimonM7

Gyro aiming is a genuinely good crutch for those that haven't ever really clicked with analog aim, but it's also a distraction from the more cohesive method of aiming with a controller, preventing you from getting to proper grips with the nuances of a well tuned dual analog setup.

It's a lot like wiimote aim in that it's more intuitive and accessible initially, but not conducive or effective long term. Ask a COD or Halo player to switch to gyro aim and they'll laugh you out of the room -- not that I necessarily think you have to listen to elitist people that laugh other people out of the room. :)

That said, none of the above has ever stopped implementation of tech/options before, so I suppose it's still strange that it isn't just plopped into everything.

Gyro aiming is a genuinely good crutch for those that haven't ever really clicked with analog aim, but it's also a distraction from the more cohesive method of aiming with a controller, preventing you from getting to proper grips with the nuances of a well tuned dual analog setup.
You sure analog aim isn't the crutch, with the amount of aim assist developers cake on it nowadays? I've never understood the argument that it's the better input because it's more cumbersome to use than anything else. It's the way it was done initially because it was the only option developers had. There are other, superior ways to control your point of view available nowadays, and the only time analog aim gets close to that is when the game is holding your hand behind the scenes. I don't understand this sort of insistance to stay in the past.

dex3108

If devs think that Gyro would be advantage in MP then why they are avoiding it in Single Player? I have feeling that this is similar discussion like we had with 30FPS vs. 60FPS :D

Top Bottom