• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Hasn't Geek Culture Figured Out They Won?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read this incredible piece about Geek Entitlement, specifically how it's manifested itself around a review of Guardians of the Galaxy for The Village Voice.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...o-why-are-so-many-of-its-fans-still-so-angry/

Couldn't possibly agree with it more, and this bit should be projected onto every wall on Earth:

I would argue that this attitude does worse than simply represent nerd culture poorly. It is a betrayal of the very idea that made that culture so powerful in the first place: a sense that the dominant culture does not tell all of our stories, and that it does not meet all of our emotional needs.

Preach!!!

In other words "don't be a dick"?

You'd think it would be that simple. Bendis also put it nicely:

You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion.

I would like there to be more of a connection between why people read these stories, and how they act. You should see Peter Parker and then want to act like Peter Parker. You shouldn't want to be Peter Parker because you want to sling webs and punch people. It should be because you want to be someone who lives with the idea of "with great power comes great responsibility." And that means that the power of the internet and the power of your ability to interact with people, should be treated like a power. You should treat it like a responsibility.

http://www.vulture.com/2014/04/comi...-man-guardians-x-men.html?mid=twitter_vulture

Geeks have always been whiny and fickle over tiny things. The fact that there is an over saturation of 'geeky' media gives them even more chance to whine.

Because admitting you won means you can let off the gas, and there's no financial incentive to let off the gas now because "Geek Culture" is a legitimate market you can exploit, especially with those willing to voluntarily place themselves inside of it.

Also, if you admit "Geek Culture" won, it just becomes Pop-Culture, or plain old culture, and then it's not unique anymore, and if it's not unique, it becomes harder to consider yourself special for having engaged with it.

studyguy

Hollywood would still capitalize on this feeling with a Revenge of the Nerds remake staring the cast from Big Bang Theory. People only feel the stereotype is still true because the media pushes it on us. I mean once you step out of high school, no one gives a fuck what you enjoy.

The response female critics/journalists/anything get from the internet is so fucking embarrassing it makes me want to throw my laptop into the garbage

Tungbo's comment on the WP article is amazing.

"Look at retail stores: 80% are still fashions and accessories. It's not like there's a comic or anime store in every other block."

What, subculture, could possibly stand up to CLOTHES stores? There aren't even that many sports places.

Because admitting you won means you can let off the gas, and there's no financial incentive to let off the gas now because "Geek Culture" is a legitimate market you can exploit, especially with those willing to voluntarily place themselves inside of it.

Also, if you admit "Geek Culture" won, it just becomes Pop-Culture, or plain old culture, and then it's not unique anymore, and if it's not unique, it becomes harder to consider yourself special for having engaged with it.

Bingo.

Volimar

"geek culture" is too broad to lump them (us) all together.

A lot of people online are dicks.

A lot of people online are geeks.

A lot of geeks are dicks.

"Don't Be a Dick" day was only a few days ago. I wish more people followed Wheaton's Law.

This is much harder than you think.

Especially with the silly obsession of "smart = logic = best."

On the other hand, most of the people I know who dismiss females in the industry use emotional reasoning. Emotional reasoning can be used to justify anything if not tempered with some logical/rational framework.

I think a lot of this stems from how ostracized these particular geeks were as kids. They lacked the social interactions most people take for granted, and what they did receive was largely negative. Now with geek culture becoming the new normal there's lingering hostility with an attitude of "who the hell do you think you are partaking in my interests after all these years?"

Gorillaz

BR laying down that truth. Agree 100.

Drazgul

You shouldn't want to be Peter Parker because you want to sling webs and punch people.

Well screw you guy, that's the only reason I'd want to be Spider-Man. Well that and robbing banks.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Count me confused as well.

Hell beyond the article and OP sentiments not seeming to match up I'm not even sure the WP Article matches the headline.

I think that does point out how convoluted this issue is though in general.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I'm glad this stuff is mainstream now because it means they can score just about anyone they want to work on it.

I think a lot of this stems from how ostracized these particular geeks were as kids. They lacked the social interactions most people take for granted, and what they did receive was largely negative. Now with geek culture becoming the new normal there's lingering hostility with an attitude of "who the hell do you think you are partaking in my interests after all these years?"

The fucked up part is their assumption that others weren't partaking in the same shit. Just because I was a girl doesn't mean I was bereft of lode runner, dyno park tycoon, descent, myst, etc.

On the one hand, I kinda wanna say Rosenberg is being mildly unfair by ascribing "Geek Culture" to what are essentially just a group of overprotective assholes, but then again, I kinda think that's maybe the perfect reassignment of that title.

When people first started largely using the term, it was a means to better define Comic-Con attendees, fan-fic writers, avid gamers (the term gamer is also growing more and more outdated, too), the sorts of people doing the sorts of activities that were pretty fucking prevalent all over the internet, just not talked about.

But now as people understand that the internet isn't really this magical place where reality "doesn't count" but is in fact the main form of communication for millions upon millions of people, the phrase "Geek Culture" doesn't apply as well as it did, because the definition of "Geek" has become so diluted and mainstreamed that it's almost a meaningless title.

EXCEPT for when it's being used to describe the sort of ignorant, angry, excluding snob that Rosenberg is writing about, the kind of people who have decided to appoint themselves gatekeepers to a subsect of pop-culture when nobody asked, and they don't do a great job anyway.

Geek was a negative turn of phrase, and then it was reclaimed - and maybe now it's just heading back towards being a derogatory again, thanks to the counterproductive efforts of people who essentially had their pastime validated and mainstreamed by that reclamation. The only real change will have been that the people now standing outside that bubble are just as into Spider-Man and The Last of Us as the people trying to wall up the windows and doors to their little geek enclave.

So instead of being happy that they have more people to share their interests with, they get upset and try to shrink things back down so they can feel special for having consumed things more than other people.

The response females at ComicCon, PAX, and pro gaming tournaments get from the internet is so fucking embarrassing it makes me want to throw my laptop into the garbage

Just adding in a few more examples.

It is kind of embarrassing that as nerd/geek culture hits the mainstream, the mainstream gets a good, strong whiff of misogyny, racism, and homophobia that has stewed for years with nothing to step and say "hey guys, maybe we should turn it down."

Some of the responses this week in the cosplaying thread left me pretty stunned. "It's a con, it's never going to change." Really? What is this, the 50's? The threads that people used to make whenever Jade Raymond had an interview about Assassin's Creed back in '06-'07 were disgusting. The amount of "grow thicker skin" or "guys get shit on too" posts whenever the FGC or a game dev is shown flat out shitting on women is appalling.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Tungbo's comment on the WP article is amazing.

"Look at retail stores: 80% are still fashions and accessories. It's not like there's a comic or anime store in every other block."

What, subculture, could possibly stand up to CLOTHES stores? There aren't even that many sports places.

You don't understand. Geek culture hasn't won until people are drinking fine-aged Golden Age comics and eating Funko toys instead of actual food.

Volimar

The fucked up part is their assumption that others weren't partaking in the same shit. Just because I was a girl doesn't mean I was bereft of lode runner, dyno park tycoon, descent, myst, etc.

Surely you mean barbie horse adventure and Olsen Twins fashion club, right?

Everyone watches heroes and the like on the big screen doing heroic acts so that they can imagine themselves in their place, and that's all that they think they need to do. They believe that thinking about doing good things like a hero makes you a nice person; an everyday hero, so to say. With their work done, they go off to act like the villains, taking to the internet, conveniently forgetting about the morals that bind the heroes together and make them heroes. It's rather sickening, to be mild about it.

You don't even deserve to watch superheroes and the like if you can't excel basic courtesy, respect, and manners to 'ordinary citizens'.

At first I was like "Greek culture has won? What?".

Everyone thought that the Romans left the most influence in the end, but the Greeks had the last laugh.

Yep. All subcultures are ways to make money. Counter-culture especially. People feel unique and/or against the norm for wearing metal/punk fashions, but are still paying large corporations. There's a ridiculous Radio Depart. song that begins with a quote ranting about how capitalism is destroying youth culture. Youth culture is entirely ABOUT capitalism. It's about expressing yourself through what stuff you buy.

TEJ

Hell, i'm happy that the mainstream has embraced my hobbies.

It's a lot less embarassing to admit that I like comics, or games or superhero flicks, or animated movies, or other geeky things to people now than it was 15 years ago.

Averon

This is very true. Go to any geek forum and I bet you will find plenty of talk that laments "normals" engaging in their hobbies in increasing numbers. The fear of "normals" influencing their hobbies runs strong.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Has geek culture really won, or has it been co-opted and exploited by the masses? We've come a long way since Public Enemy hit the airwaves, and where is "black culture" right now? Oh, right.

ScreenShot2014-01-01at83306PM.png

Yay, Star Trek, Star Wars, and Marvel are the biggest things out there, but are they really "geek culture?"

“We’re happy to have you here, just as we were when you made similar complaints about our pre-release reviews of ‘Man of Steel’ and that one movie where Batman cried in a hole for an hour. You were absolutely right about those, of course — both flicks are undisputed masterpieces,” 

This is a great line

Has geek culture really won, or has it been co-opted and exploited by the masses? We've come a long way since Public Enemy hit the airwaves, and where is "black culture" right now? Oh, right.

Yay, Star Trek, Star Wars, and Marvel are the biggest things out there, but are they really "geek culture?"

That tweet - the content, subject, tweeter - speaks volumes alone. lol

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Hell, i'm happy that the mainstream has embraced my hobbies.

It's a lot less embarassing to admit that I like comics, or games or superhero flicks, or animated movies, or other geeky things to people now than it was 15 years ago.

Reminds me of Jonah Hill in 21 Jump Street when he says

If I was born just ten years later I would have been the coolest person ever!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

HAHAHA

How come I've never seen that tweet before? That's amazing. Wow.

Subcultures hardly ever enjoy being popularized. Especially when one of the founding reasons for those subcultures is being an outcast and finding solace in something that takes you away from reality.

Some Punks didn't like Punk getting popular so they started calling people sell outs.

There are some Gamers here that get huffy when people who play Candy Crush say they're gamers because they're not Hardcore enough to be gamers if that's all they do.

There are probably a bunch of comic nerds who wanted Iron Man to be awesome, but didn't want every one around wearing an Iron Man shirt without ever having read a comic.

The products of geek culture have won. The way in which people engage with these products is what makes it "geeky" not necessarily the product itself. That's why marvel can go mainstream and people will still feel alienated.

anaron

Read this earlier today, fantastic read and a much needed highlight.

I adore Greg Rucka's response to a fake geek girl t shirt

a7TQZ2u.jpg

Greg Rucka said:
I rarely use this to just blog. I’m going to just blog now, so you can all just ignore this if it’s not to your liking.

Warning. Contents under pressure.

So, I saw that bullshit piece of shit “joke” t-shirt that managed to insult not only women, not only those of us who call coffee the Black Bean of Life, not only men (via the fact that it was created by an individual with a penis who thinks said piteous appendage allows him the right to tar the rest of us with the same brush), not only fandom, not only, dammit, people with an ounce of decency and who understand that a sense of humor is viable only when it enlightens, entertains, and instructs, rather than demeans and diminishes, and yes, I’ve been thinking about this pretty much all day, why do you ask?

And that sets me on a burn, anyway, but I’m running hot because, you see, I am the father of a daughter, and she is my light, and she shines, and I want for her every-fucking-thing she desires, and I want those things for her earned, not given; I want for her the reward of effort. I want for her inclusion. I want for her validation. I want for her a world that recognizes her worth as a human being.

My daughter, she’s a lot like her mother and me. Which makes sense, but where our son seems to have inherited his mother’s even keel and gentle soul, my daughter got the short straw, and drew my emotional volatility. She’s smart, maybe too smart, and she runs hot like I do, and she feels deeply, and passionately, and she sees more than maybe a lot of kids her age see. And she’s a geek (hell, she’s practically a hipster-geek, as she informed me she’d been reading Divergent before anyone even knew about the movie, let alone the book), she reads comics, she dresses up as Captain Marvel and Black Widow and she swings a lightsaber and uses her Nerf guns to shoot vampires just the way Buffy taught her.

So she doesn’t fit in. She’s in a school that’s a pretty good school, to be honest, but the ratio of boys to girls in her class has been 2:1 for the last five years. That takes a toll. And some of those boys? They’re not that far from Neanderthal in their thinking about gender (and what is going on at home with those boys I am forced to wonder…). And the girls in her class, they’ve pretty much made her odd-girl-out for five years now, because that’s the game they’re playing.

Portland Public Schools has a lottery system to get into its magnet programs. For two years, our daughter has been dreaming of attending one specific middle school, one that’s art focused. She’s been in a science-and-math magnet program, and she’s done very well there, mind, but the social aspect… it’s been grinding her down. She was looking to escape. She was looking to go to a place where, she imagined, she could be who she is and not suffer for it.

Such is the dream of all of us geeks and nerds and whatever we’re calling ourselves today. Such is the call of our fandoms, and why we answer.

So, yeah, lottery system. Random. Not merit based. Not application based. Just jump through a couple of hoops to apply, check a couple of boxes, and hope your number comes up.

Her number did not come up.

And it wrecked her. It devastated her. One of those situations, those moments that, as a parent, there’s not a damn fuck thing you can do to make it better. All you can do is hold on and tell them that yes, they were right all along, life is not fair. All you can do is tell them that sometimes you get the bad bounce. All you can do is tell them you love them, that you believe in them, that you see their glow, and that one day, others will, too, honest to God.

Needless to say, it did not really help. Because, ten years old, and oh do we forget how damn hard ten years old was for some of us, at least.

She’s trying so hard to find who she is, to find a place to be who she wants to become.

And some asshole thinks selling a shirt that, essentially, says, GURLS STAY OUT is funny. He’s talking to my wife. He’s talking to my daughter. He’s talking to my friends. He’s talking to my fans. He’s talking to some of the best writers in the industry, some of the most gifted artists, some of the most talented creators in the arts.

GURLS STAY OUT. Heh heh heh.

Fucking mouthbreather.

Fake geek girl? This is still a thing? Rape threats because a woman has the temerity to point out flaws in a grievously flawed cover? Bullshit arguments about inclusiveness being overdone, overrated, that we don’t need it?

So, yeah, this is directed at the guys, and you know who you are. Odds are you’re the ones who’d never read this in the first place, but that’s not going to stop me. You, yes, you. Come here. Listen.

What in the name of everlovingfuck is the matter with you? Are you simply stupid? Are you just ignorant? Are you broken? Newsflash: you are owed NOTHING. Not a thing. Not a goddamn thing. This fandom, that fandom, guess what? It doesn’t belong to you.

You don’t own it. You partake in it. It’s called community.

You want something to be your thing, make a club, build a tree-fort, and do us a favor. Don’t come down.

Next time you think of opening your damn mouth to talk about “the women” or “their agenda” or fake geek anything, if nothing else, know this: I am listening, and I am taking names, because you are, in part, talking about my daughter.

You are talking about my friends.

You are talking about my colleagues.

You are talking about those people I am fortunate enough to count as fans of my work.

And you do not get to talk about them that way.

Especially my daughter

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
The response female critics/journalists/anything get from the internet is so fucking embarrassing it makes me want to throw my laptop into the garbage

ugh, that's the worst

Especially with the silly obsession of "smart = logic = best."

or no, maybe that's the worst

yikes...no wonder GAF hates on that guy. thinly veiled racism right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom