• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Hasn't Hollywood Made A Call of Duty Movie Yet?

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Because the games are trash, the stories are trash, and no studio wants to burn money like that. 🤷‍♂️
I pictured a movie of bunch of guys in their early 40's with camera switching from person to person of each with a headset. The premise of the movie is watching them play, in game drama, someone breaks their headset in half and movie ends with a national internet outage. Hollywood's just itching to make this movie.

Dlacy13g

I think the realities are the answer to this question is that the COD story and its quality while very unique for video games has been done many many times in Hollywood/film. No, not the exact story, etc... but honestly that story is a dime a dozen from the film industry perspective.

CamHostage

If its terrible it devalues Activision/Cod branding, annoying the shareholders, in an especially worrisome time at the moment at Activision

This, but it's not just about "quality"....

Activision doesn't want to make a Call of Duty "movie"; they want to make a whole CoD Hollywood franchise. A global box- office phenomenon. A CoD Cinematic Universe, with movies and shows and spin-offs of those movies and shows. A one-off would be a waste of time for a brand this big and valuable, so even though they've developed live- action projects s few times in the past, nothing has come to fruition.

Last edited:
Because what's the point?
Extraction
Extraction 2
The Wall
The Hurt Locker
American Sniper
Black Hawk Down
12 Strong
Rambo 3
Pearl Harbor
Saving Private Ryan
Hamburger Hill
Fury
The Beast
13 Hours
Lone Survivor
Red Dawn
Jarhead
The Green Zone
Kingdom
Enemy At The Gates
We Were Soldiers
The Outpost
Tears of the Sun
Uncommon Valor
Act of Valor
Shooter
etc...

Alebrije

Most of the Call of Duty games have a single player campaign with reoccurring characters.
Yes but its not the same on every game..what I mean its a game with not special plot or story unless the movie is about a futuristic set but why a WW2 call of duty when you have tons of movies aboit it. Or Vietman, Iraq, Terrorism, etc...

So no main character, no main or original plot...it left little for a movie

Last edited:
Because what's the point?
Extraction
Extraction 2
The Wall
The Hurt Locker
American Sniper
Black Hawk Down
12 Strong
Rambo 3
Pearl Harbor
Saving Private Ryan
Hamburger Hill
Fury
The Beast
13 Hours
Lone Survivor
Red Dawn
Jarhead
The Green Zone
Kingdom
Enemy At The Gates
We Were Soldiers
The Outpost
Tears of the Sun
Uncommon Valor
Act of Valor
Shooter
etc...

Yup...

The Call of Duty title attached to a movie may bring in an initial audience, but once people were to see a movie like any other war/action movie from the last 35 years, they'd wonder why it's even called CoD. And they'd be right.

Call of Duty: Zombies movie:

Overlord2018Poster.jpg

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

? There are literally tons of "CoD" movies out there. The IP really doesn't have a unique story, it's a military shooter with a story unique to each game. Any action based war film could be held up as an example of a CoD movie.

wipeout364

It would devalue the franchise. How many good video game adaptions have there been? Very few, the way Hollywood makes movies now it would probably be terrible.

I disagree with some people on here though I think COD has had some really great campaigns over the years : Modern Warfare, Modern Warfare 2, BLack Ops, Black ops 2, black ops Cold War, Infinite Warfare, Advanced Warfare all had really fun campaigns. The World war 2 stuff has always been kind of a turn off for me just over done, and MW3, Black ops 3, ghosts were not good.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
The sales figures suggest you're full of shit. :D :D
Sales numbers don’t make a game or game story good. There are people that blindly buy COD no matter what, the same with sports games every year. Plus I’m suggesting no studio is going to burn money on a movie that won’t be good. Regardless of how you view COD as a game, it absolutely would not make a good movie, and that is exactly why there isn’t one.

Plussss…I’m not a trend follower. I think Call of Duty is absolutely garbage. I don’t understand how sales numbers should make me change my own opinion, or how having my own opinion on a series makes me full of shit 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I’ve wondered this myself. If there was a movie with the classic CoD4 characters stopping a terrorist like Mission: Impossible style but with Fastest Mostest Furioustest style over the top bullshit, it would be popular.

taizuke

Who the fuck wants one.....it's 2023,it would be full of anti american/anti western political ideology.
In "current year" when everything is offensive I'm not sure the market is ready for a movie about a 12 years old white boy yelling racial slurs at strangers online

I wasn't just talking about now, but since the popularity of the game.

Tell me you don't watch movies without telling me you don't watch movies.

Tell me you've never seen a movie titled Call of Duty without telling you've never seen a movie titled Call of Duty.

It would devalue the franchise. How many good video game adaptions have there been? Very few, the way Hollywood makes movies now it would probably be terrible.

This is something I hadn't considered. I don't know. Even if the movie was horrible, I think the popularity of the game would remain largely untouched.

Much less C.O.D movie, why hasn't Hollywood made a HALO movie??

District 9 started out as a Halo movie but that fell through. At least, they made a TV series (even if it was largely considered bad).

And, to everyone giving legit, smart, and intelligent reasons as to why Hollywood hasn't made a CoD movie... I ask you this, you mean to tell me that out of all the times Hollywood has made stupid and dumb decisions, out of all the times they've lost billions, out of all the times they've greenlit projects that had no business seeing the light of day... you mean to tell me CoD is where they put their foot down?

This is Hollywood we're talking about. I'm just baffled no Hollywood exec thought "let's capitalize on the success of CoD". And again, I'm not just taking about now, but why didn't it happen in 2013, 2015, or 2017, ect.?

I do agree with the reasons most of you have outlined, but some of you give Hollywood a lot of credit.

Muffdraul

Call of Duty is an annual rebranding of the same concept from Call of Duty 1, which was a Medal of Honor copycat, which in turn ripped off many things from the movie Saving Private Ryan.
There you go: your CoD movie was released years before the game
I never played Medal of Honor, but I damn well remember playing the first CoD and thinking "Damn, they should have called this 'Saving Private Ryan The Video Game." Not that it was a bad thing.

M.W.

Call of Duty starring

Shia Lebeouf as Grim Buckle
Tom Holland as Ray Butch
Guy Fieri as Guy Fieri
Jalen Rose as Poison

Directed by Michael Bay

Tagline: We're Fucked

Release date: December 2026

mhirano

I never played Medal of Honor, but I damn well remember playing the first CoD and thinking "Damn, they should have called this 'Saving Private Ryan The Video Game." Not that it was a bad thing.
The first Medal of Honor got a DDay recreation that was mind blowing (for the time)

Top Bottom