• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why hasn't the All-Stars version of Super Mario Brothers come out on GBA?

Merlin

Banned
Considering it's been re-released so many times, you'd think they brought out this version or at least GIVEN YOU THE OPTION of using the revamped graphics. Especially as both SMB2 and SMB3 have been released in that form.

I much prefer the SNES version. Nicer graphics, sprites and music with the same gameplay. Only nostalgia would lead people to believe the NES version is in any way superior.

Super_Mario_All_Stars_SNES_ScreenShot1.jpg

marstarmar1-1.gif

321.jpg

Lovely. :)

I'd like to play old games with everything in touch. If I wanted to play a game that looked Super Mario World, I'd play Super Mario World. That's my take on the situation. But yeah, that option suggestion should go both ways. It should've been an option in All-Stars to let you play with the original graphics. I still don't know what the original poison mushroom looked like. :p

ziran

i think the nostalgia reason you said.

i also don't know why super marioland 1 and 2 haven't been updated onto the gba, maybe next year?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It doesn't reallly matter to me, because I have it on my PSP.

>>>I'd like to play old games with everything in touch. If I wanted to play a game that looked Super Mario World, I'd play Super Mario World.<<<

Yes, never mind that the gameplay different... they have similar art styles, so they must be the same.

HCgamer

I like parts two and three better on the SNES All Stars cart but I feel they butchered the port of Super Mario Bros 1 I do not like the look and the controls are not good.

Link316

Banned
I prefer the original Mario 2 graphics, it has nothing to do with nostalagia, it just loses some of that cartoony style with the updated graphics in the remakes

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
If they went ahead and did that they would cut into whatever potential sales the individually released Super Mario Advanced games have left.

Wellington said:
If they went ahead and did that they would cut into whatever potential sales the individually released Super Mario Advanced games have left.
I think he means more just the first Super Mario Bros, with the redone graphics from All Stars, and not the entire All Stars game itself.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Wellington said:

I don't think he means to release Super Mario All Stars for the GBA. He means release the all-starts versions of SMB1/SMBLL and call it Super Mario Advance 5.

I've also wondered why they never did this.

Bataman said:
I'd like to play old games with everything in touch. If I wanted to play a game that looked Super Mario World, I'd play Super Mario World. That's my take on the situation. But yeah, that option suggestion should go both ways. It should've been an option in All-Stars to let you play with the original graphics. I still don't know what the original poison mushroom looked like. :p

Mario Bros DX on the GBC had the lost levels, I think they were purple and green, though I could be wrong about that.

But the problem with the GBC game is (obviously) a different screen dimension than the original game, causing some cheap deaths and whatnot.

Zeo

Banned
Mario Bros DX > SMB All Stars

But All Stars still owns. And it feels/plays just like the NES game, with better music and graphics.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
the lost levels in Deluxe were a total hack-job. No new sprites, no Mario/Luigi physics, no wind in the wind levels...just a real "meh why not" thing.

cvxfreak

I, too, want the All-Stars Super Mario Bros. to come out for the GBA. And SMB2j for that matter.

I have a feeling we'll be seeing another Mario game on GBA sometime to keep sales flowing. Maybe Nintendo wants to see the Famicom Mini version rip the charts for a few more months before doing so.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
several years later, i'm still irritated that nintendo released the smb games individually and with stupid alterations on gba, instead of porting all-stars as they should've. they should've released gba all stars and then made a new gba mario, instead of waiting for the ds and its awful 3d.

drohne

the voices were certainly unnecessary, as were the difficulty tweaks. i understand that yoshi's island has new levels, though. i want to pick that up at some point.

jarrod

Banned
drohne said:
the voices were certainly unnecessary, as were the difficulty tweaks. i understand that yoshi's island has new levels, though. i want to pick that up at some point.
There weren't any difficulty tweaks except the powerup structure in Mario World iirc. Other than that, the games played identically to their SNES counterparts (which was slightly off from NES SMB2/3). I really enjoyed the bonus content though (Luigi in SMW, eReader options in SMB3, extra levels in YI).

Sapiens

jarrod said:
I'd say all alterations were for the better really. Except possibly the added voices, which got annoying.

Am I the only one who really doesnt mind the voices?

I even kinda get a kick out of Mario saying "Just what I needed"

cvxfreak

Sapienshomo said:

I don't mind them either, especially in Yoshi's Island.

drohne

don't tell me yoshi says "yoshi" in the gba version of yoshi's island. i much preferred the original yoshi noise. yoshi isn't a pokemon. :(

Cheebs

Sapienshomo said:

I don't mind them either. The Advance verisons are now the only true verisons of those old 2D ones for me. I grew up with NES and I can't go back to NES SMB 3 after SMA 4. :(

And it drives me nuts to no end I have to play SMB DX to get my SMB 1/SMB 2 fix on a handheld(NES Classic one has no save and thats a big no no for a handheld to me)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
FirstInHell said:
How do I play this on my DS?

You can't. The GB Micro and DS are not backwards compatible with GBC or b/w GB games anymore. For that you'd need an actual GBC, GBA, GBA SP, or GBA SP v2.

MegaByte

jarrod said:
There weren't any difficulty tweaks except the powerup structure in Mario World iirc. Other than that, the games played identically to their SNES counterparts (which was slightly off from NES SMB2/3). I really enjoyed the bonus content though (Luigi in SMW, eReader options in SMB3, extra levels in YI).
SMA4 had difficulty tweaked. For quick verification, just go to W1-1 and look at the first pipe... in the original, the plant spit fire, and in the GBA version it doesn't.
SMA was quite altered from SMB2, but on major thing relating to difficulty is that there are hearts everywhere.
You could argue SMA2 had difficulty tweaked just by the fact that you can save anywhere... there were certain other things changed though, like the dragon coins.

Kuramu

the only thing i had a problem with in All Stars was the word "Bonus" in the secret places... kinda took some of the magic away from being in there

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I still remember hearing something about a NCL promotion for a GBA SMB cart with SMAS graphics a few years back... I remember seeing a photo with a screen shot and a picture of the cartridge. I thought it was some sort of bonus they had before they started the "Club Mario" thing...

cvxfreak

DavidDayton said:
I still remember hearing something about a NCL promotion for a GBA SMB cart with SMAS graphics a few years back... I remember seeing a photo with a screen shot and a picture of the cartridge. I thought it was some sort of bonus they had before they started the "Club Mario" thing...

It was only the original NES version, back at the end of 2003, along with the Famicom GBASP that john tv has. I think...

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
CVXFREAK said:
It was only the original NES version, back at the end of 2003, along with the Famicom GBASP that john tv has. I think...

Are you sure? I thought I remember it predating that. Bah. I'll try using Google to find something, but I don't have high hopes.

Edit: Aha. Found it -- courtesy of the very short lived N-Run.
N-Run 10/26/03 said:
GBA Super Mario Bros.

On the Japanese Club Nintendo site, Nintendo has announced an upcoming contest in which 3,000 custom GBA SP's with Super Mario Bros. games will be given away. At this point, no one is quite sure as to what these Super Mario Bros. games will be. They could be a mere NES emulation on a GBA cartridge (much like the way you can play SMB on your GBA via an Animal Crossing download), or it could be a graphical enhanced version, much like the various Super Mario Advance titles. Hopefully when Club Nintendo comes to the U.S.A., we'll see nice bonuses like these as well.

It was tied with the original, limited run Famicom colored SP systems... but I thought I remembered seeing a photo with a SMAS SMB screen image displayed. That could have been a poor mockup, though.

allstars>>>>>all. revolution needs an updated version of this like that one nintndo guy was talking. 2.5 d with the original allstars music would be killer.

Sapiens

The only all stars version I'll take over the originals is SMB2USA.

I prefer the original NES version of SMB3 and SMB1. It's not an elite thing at all, but more of a nostalgia thing. Plus, you can't do the minus world shit in SMAS version.

Eh, leave the original SMB alone for now. The recent NES Classic version was acceptable.

Instead give me a full-on remakes of Mario Land 1 & 2 via GBA. Those could help sustain Micro/SP sales well into next year. I'd kill to have Mario Land with updated visuals and music. And some 2-player single cart co-op option.

Top Bottom