• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why I think the PS5 reveal event deserves 10/10?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Good morning (9:51am here)

Well, going to the event I only expected to like around 2-3 games max, and I was amazed by so many interesting titles with original ideas! Most PS5 only games were native 4K, and looked very impressive. Let's get into them:

NOTE: Interest percentage is personal interest in a game, nothing critical. More like potential preorder/buy.

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS5 Exclusive, PS Studios)

90% interest. Looks wonderful in native 4K, like all (most?) others shown. Liked the prior game, and this is most likely a spin-off like Uncharted: The Lost Legacy.

Grand Theft Auto V and Grand Theft Auto Online

0% interest. I rate it already as 4/10, one of the shittiest open world car driving, on foot gameplay animation. The game has everything, that's why most kids love it, but it's like cheap, low budget furniture store that has shit racing and driving, shit gun fight, shit pool and arcade games, shit flight. Rockstar is great with narrative although the story as I finished it has plenty of cringy, cheap jokes. I liked the GTA4 story and protagonist much, much more, probably all the previous ones in that regard.

Project Athia (PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

100% interest. Looks like a pure potential of what to expect from a worthy PS5 next gen game. The gameplay visuals, although stunning looking, had the assets that are slightly rough and might leverage UE5 later on.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (PS5 Exclusive, PS Studios)

100% interest. The game looks CGI! Wonderful, lots of chaos, amazing visuals and the regular interesting gameplay and story-telling.

Stray (PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

80% interest. This game looks strange, not sure but gives me strange feelings like Limbo game and Journey, and seems to have something creative behind it.

Returnal (PS5 Exclusive, PS Studios)

70% interest. Horror games aren't my type, but looks action horror which is not bad to try, and I'm all in for some sci-fi shit.

Destruction AllStars (PS5 Exclusive, PS Studios)

100% interest. Wonderful game! Brings back memories of Twisted Metal and Destruction Derby back in PS1, with a flavor of Fortnite-like, and Rocket League. I think this will potentially be Sony's next big thing. Detailed destruction, on-foot interaction when your car destroyed so you can pick up another car. Lots of potential customization both visually and tactically!

Sackboy A Big Adventure (PS5 Exclusive, PS Studios)

100% interest. Loved and bought all LittleBigPlanet games and spent endless ours building things there! Would love more Sackboy! Glad Sony went smart here and didn't let him disappear with the likes of LBP games on hold right now after Dreams.

Oddworld Soulstorm (PS4/PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

70% interest. Mostly for nostalgia, I remember how creepy it was during the PS1 era, found in the demo free disk inside PS1. Puzzle solving and funny themed.

Kena: Bridge of Spirits (PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

100% interest. MAN! This game looks insanely good! One of the best games shown in the reveal so far! Can't wait to dive into it's charming world! Rivals Ratchet and Clank in terms of CGI quality graphics.

Goodbye Volcano High (PS4/PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

50% interest. Looks strange, gives me Life is Strange vibe, and I love that one a lot. Still not sure about it, it's not clear enough.

GhostWire: Tokyo (PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

60%
interest. I'm not into horror games that much, but this looks like action and fun, might give it a try.

JETT: The Far Shore (PS4/PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

70% interest. Strange looking game, but I'm into space and exploration. Small game as it looks, but seems like a good one.

Godfall (PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

70% interest. Looks like a good game overall, interesting fight styles. Might give it a try.

NBA 2K21

0% interest. Let's skip this, I'm a football man (AKA soccer). Used to enjoy some baseball and other sports during PS1 era and before, but not much now.

Gran Turismo 7 (PS5 Exclusive, PS Studios)

100% interest. Finally, a complete version after years. Not into circuit racing but won't heart to play some of the most played car games in my childhood and through the years. There is some slight ladder effect in some very few parts of the trailer, probably for being pre-alpha? Not sure, but better anti-aliasing would help.

Solar Ash (PS4/PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

60% interest. Looks like a nice game, not sure though. Might pick it up and try it.

Demon's Souls (PS5 Exclusive, PS Studios)

50% interest. Looks great, but I'm not a souls fan. Might give it a try.

Resident Evil Village

0% interest. Looks like a good game, but not for me.

DEATHLOOP (PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

90% interest. Looks like a wonderful, fancy shooting game with lots of challenging and punishing consequences. I'll get it!

Little Devil Inside (PS4/PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

90% interest. Looks very intriguing! Would love to try it out!

Horizon Forbidden West (PS5 Exclusive, PS Studios)

100% interest. Preordering the most expensive digital copy available! One of my favorites!

Bugsnax (PS4/PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

0% interest. SKIP.

Astro's Playroom (PS5 Exclusive, PS Studios)

100% interest. Gonna preorder it when available and then play the older VR version on the next PSVR2!

Hitman III

10% interest. The last game was shit with insanely stupid AI. So far this doesn't look good enough.

======

Then comes the console and accessories reveal! I was shocked! Wonderful, sleek, thin design! Very futuristic, didn't see it coming! I would say the design deserves around 9/10 overall, I love it! Gonna get all those accessories, especially the Pulse 3D wireless headset!

This is all reflective of my own flavors/opinions. I hope it wasn't too long.

NOTE: Watch the trailers on a 4K screen, as the stream was bad quality:

Last edited:
Horizon2, Ratchet and that’s about it, from exclusives. GT7 looked terribad, spider man looked like an enhanced BC ps4 game (and shows how bad the ps5 launch and launch window line up will be if they have to depend on that and makes the talk of cross gen games extremely funny) , demon’s souls is a remake that we got a bunch of cutscenes from. The timed AA exclusives, nothing came close to the Medium for me.
Made the wait for a price drop and a few AAA exclusives that much easier.

Gamernyc78

Banned
85-90

Games upon games and good mix of variety.I am getting...

Spiderman
Gt7
Lil Devils
Kena
Sackboy
Horizon
Returnal
Athia
Demon Souls

And one or two others. Most were first party games I don't know what stream ppl were watching but there were more than three exclusives and even with three thts usually one more than competitors conferences.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
Horizon2, Ratchet and that’s about it, from exclusives. GT7 looked terribad, spider man looked like an enhanced BC ps4 game (and shows how bad the ps5 launch and launch window line up will be if they have to depend on that and makes the talk of cross gen games extremely funny) , demon’s souls is a remake that we got a bunch of cutscenes from. The timed AA exclusives, nothing came close to the Medium for me.
The medium looks average.
But i read more and more how it ls becoming the new hell blade 2 spiel for xbox.

Jtibh

Banned
85-90

Games upon games and good mix of variety.I am getting...

Spiderman
Gt7
Lil Devils
Kena
Sackboy
Horizon
Returnal
Agothia
Demon Souls

And one or two others. Most were first party games I don't know what stream ppl were watching but there were more than three exclusives and even with three thts usually one more than competitors conferences.
Its the fuckin haters payed by phil and george soros.
Soon they will riot the store to destroy all ps5's

The medium looks average.
But i read more and more how it ls becoming the new hell blade 2 spiel for xbox.
Nah it looks like a very good looking horror game that will be on gamepass day one and much better than Sony’s dreadful timed exclusives. I mean that Tokyo game....ooooofff.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Here, my low budget screenshot of GT7, maybe you didn't check the 4K trailers yet:

362580923.jpg

SDF ASSEEEEEEEEMBLLLLLE

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS5 Exclusive, PS Studios)

90% interest. Looks wonderful in native 4K, like all (most?) others shown. Liked the prior game, and this is most likely a spin-off like Uncharted: The Lost Legacy.

• Didn't see any gameplay, hard to be excited for that.

Project Athia (PS5 Exclusive)

100% interest. Looks like a pure potential of what to expect from a worthy PS5 next gen game. The gameplay visuals, although stunning looking, had the assets that are slightly rough and might leverage UE5 later on.

• It comes to PC, see here: https://project-athia.square-enix-games.com/en-us/?
  • And, this is not even the title of the game. Its just a WORKING TITLE.
  • This might be a 2024/2025 at best. FF VX was like 5 years ahead announced, so hard to be excited for that. Many things can change.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (PS5 Exclusive, PS Studios)

100% interest. The game looks CGI! Wonderful, lots of chaos, amazing visuals and the regular interesting gameplay and story-telling.

• Not my cup of tea. The gameplay graphics looked meh to me. Nothing special. The level switching was cool, but everything else, meh, not nearly as good as UE5 demo

Stray (PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

80% interest. This game looks strange, not sure but gives me strange feelings like Limbo game and Journey, and seems to have something creative behind it.
  • No gameplay. Hard to be excited for that.

Returnal (PS5 Exclusive, PS Studios)

70% interest. Horror games aren't my type, but looks action horror which is not bad to try, and I'm all in for some sci-fi shit.

• Gameplay didn't scream "nextgen only" to me, also too woke for me. Female lead? Meh.

Destruction AllStars (PS5 Exclusive, PS Studios)

100% interest. Wonderful game! Brings back memories of Twisted Metal and Destruction Derby back in PS1, with a flavor of Fortnite-like, and Rocket League. I think this will potentially be Sony's next big thing. Detailed destruction, on-foot interaction when your car destroyed so you can pick up another car. Lots of potential customization both visually and tactically!
  • Looked generic and boring af, also the gameplay looked like PS4, easily. I mean just look at the name, can't even be more generic.

Sackboy A Big Adventure (PS5 Exclusive, PS Studios)

100% interest. Loved and bought all LittleBigPlanet games and spent endless ours building things there! Would love more Sackboy! Glad Sony went smart here and didn't let him disappear with the likes of LBP games on hold right now after Dreams.

• Nothing of the gameplay looked like next-gen only to me, could be easily done on PS4.

Oddworld Soulstorm (PS4/PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

70% interest. Mostly for nostalgia, I remember how creepy it was during the PS1 era, found in the demo free disk inside PS1. Puzzle solving and funny themed.

• Not exclusive, so it's not a "reason" to get a PS5. You could get it on another console.

Kena: Bridge of Spirits (PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

100% interest. MAN! This game looks insanely good! One of the best games shown in the reveal so far! Can't wait to dive into it's charming world! Rivals Ratchet and Clank in terms of CGI quality graphics.

• Not exclusive, so it's not a "reason" to get a PS5. You could get it on another console.

Goodbye Volcano High (PS4/PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

50% interest. Looks strange, gives me Life is Strange vibe, and I love that one a lot. Still not sure about it, it's not clear enough.

GhostWire: Tokyo (PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

60%
interest. I'm not into horror games that much, but this looks like action and fun, might give it a try.

JETT: The Far Shore (PS4/PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

70% interest. Strange looking game, but I'm into space and exploration. Small game as it looks, but seems like a good one.

Godfall (PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

70% interest. Looks like a good game overall, interesting fight styles. Might give it a try.

Gran Turismo 7 (PS5 Exclusive, PS Studios)

100% interest. Finally, a complete version after years. Not into circuit racing but won't heart to play some of the most played car games in my childhood and through the years. There is some slight ladder effect in some very few parts of the trailer, probably for being pre-alpha? Not sure, but better anti-aliasing would help.

• What I've seen of this, poor LODs, popins etc. it looked like a PS4 game to me honestly. Nothing screaming nextgen only to me. Interesting to see how it compares to Forza 8!

Solar Ash (PS4/PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

60% interest. Looks like a nice game, not sure though. Might pick it up and try it.

Demon's Souls (PS5 Exclusive, PS Studios)

50% interest. Looks great, but I'm not a souls fan. Might give it a try.

• Again, no Date, no Year, no real gameplay. Hard to be excited for that.

DEATHLOOP (PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

90% interest. Looks like a wonderful, fancy shooting game with lots of challenging and punishing consequences. I'll get it!

Little Devil Inside (PS4/PS5 Timed Console Exclusive, Available on PC)

90% interest. Looks very intriguing! Would love to try it out!

Horizon Forbidden West (PS5 Exclusive, PS Studios)

100% interest. Preordering the most expensive digital copy available! One of my favorites!

• There was 0 Gameplay. There wasn't even a date, not even a YEAR when this will be released. Could be 2023, because they showed a game with 2022 tag.

Astro's Playroom (PS5 Exclusive, PS Studios)

100% interest. Gonna preorder it when available and then play the older VR version on the next PSVR2!

• I thought it looked like a mini game, which is fun for like 10 minutes max. but a reason to get a PS5? I wouldn't say so.

Then comes the console and accessories reveal! I was shocked! Wonderful, sleek, thin design! Very futuristic, didn't see it coming! I would say the design deserves around 9/10 overall, I love it! Gonna get all those accessories, especially the Pulse 3D wireless headset!

Looking at the reception of the internet folks, most do not share your Opinion.

I mean looking at this:

img_5996xujg3.png

It's fatter than PS4 PRO and original xbox one!
And with the base stand its as wide as the Xbox Series X and at the same time, it's by far the largest console ever, look at the length.

I personally didn't see a single reason to get a PS5 day one with this event. Not a single one.

Jtibh

Banned
SDF ASSEEEEEEEEMBLLLLLE

• This might be a 2024/2025 at best. FF VX was like 5 years ahead announced, so hard to be excited for that. Many things can change.

• Not my cup of tea. The gameplay graphics looked meh to me. Nothing special. The level switching was cool, but everything else, meh, not nearly as good as UE5 demo

• Gameplay didn't scream "nextgen only" to me, also too woke for me. Female lead? Meh.

• Looked generic and boring af, also the gameplay looked like PS4, easily. I mean just look at the name, can't even be more generic.

• Nothing of the gameplay looked like next-gen only to me, could be easily done on PS4.

• What I've seen of this, poor LODs, popins etc. it looked like a PS4 game to me honestly. Nothing screaming nextgen only to me. Interesting to see how it compares to Forza 8!

• There was 0 Gameplay. There wasn't even a date, not even a YEAR when this will be released. Could be 2023, because they showed a game with 2022 tag.

• I thought it looked like a mini game, which is fun for like 10 minutes max. but a reason to get a PS5? I wouldn't say so.

I mean looking at this:

img_5996xujg3.png

And with the base stand its as wide as the Xbox Series X and at the same time, it's by far the largest console ever, look at the length.

I personally didn't see a single reason to get a PS5 day one with this event. Not a single one.
Did you ever had a playstation ?
Nice try but you dont have to come here to shit on stuff.

And sony defense force?? Pfuuu you will last long here fornaure

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
SDF ASSEEEEEEEEMBLLLLLE

I mean looking at this:

img_5996xujg3.png

Do you have any evidence for your claims that the timed exclusives aren't? Or it's "trust me, dude"?

FeiRR

Banned
This thread will get a lot of comments from users registered in the last few weeks, just a gut feeling.

The show was 9/10 for me. My shooter MP needs haven't been satisfied yet.

Astrowarriors should have a war gathering and squeeze their little brains a bit more because 'it's too big' narrative doesn't go well with their masters' power chant. Or I will say it straight: it's outright stupid.

Last edited:
SDF ASSEEEEEEEEMBLLLLLE

I mean looking at this:

img_5996xujg3.png

Dude Horizon 2 is not a launch title ? :messenger_crying:

dang so no reason to get ps5 then

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Is this supposed to be impressive ? The environments of freakin forza 7 on the Xbox one x seem to be better. Anyway the few big games seem to be 2022 games, with no release dates given. No talk about Ray tracing, frame rates .....nothing.

GT7 is aiming for beyond 4K@120fps, more like 4K@240fps for VR:

Gran Turismo Sport producer wants to hit 240 frames per second. Despite the game being used by Sony to tease the future of 8K resolution, Gran Turismo Sport producer Kazunori Yamauchi says he would rather push the limits of frame rate to as high as 240 frames per second.

Agree mostly except that cat game. We need a lot more than a cat walking and jumping on pre rendered footage to be anyway near intrigued by it. For cat lovers it's definitely the second coming so I understand.

ToadMan

nothing came close to the Medium for me.

5 hour indie walking sims are your thing? Lucky you - I wish I was so easily impressed.

You’re in luck though - buy a 10 year old PC and there’s a gazillion of them available for pennies available right now.

Last edited:

Audioout

It was a terrible reveal, too much white. Coincidence?? Sony should be ashamed.

But it had a little something for everyone. 9/10

GT7 is aiming for beyond 4K@120fps, more like 4K@240fps for VR:

Gran Turismo Sport producer wants to hit 240 frames per second. Despite the game being used by Sony to tease the future of 8K resolution, Gran Turismo Sport producer Kazunori Yamauchi says he would rather push the limits of frame rate to as high as 240 frames per second.

You posted a screenshot that is not impressive and when I reply that it doesn’t look good you start about frame rates. Speaks volumes, oh and I don’t care about Sony’s usual hype, we will see the frame rate of this thing when the game releases in 2023 or whenever....

5 hour indie walking sims are your thing? Lucky you - I wish I was so easily impressed.

You’re in luck though - buy a 10 year old PC and there’s a gazillion of them available for pennies available right now.

typical? I think you spreading FUD is typical. Enough already!

"I can't tell you right now about our most important feature, because we will have to save it for later. But the gameplay mechanic built around those two worlds couldn't be fully realized on current-gen hardware. This is something that I think will distinguish The Medium from any other game. It's also even patented. So yeah, the game simply cannot work the same way on current-gen platforms. And that's why we are developing the game for Xbox Series X, plus PC".

Show me a single indie game, that has this kind of gameplay.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You posted a screenshot that is not impressive and when I reply that it doesn’t look good you start about frame rates. Speaks volumes, oh and I don’t care about Sony’s usual hype, we will see the frame rate of this thing when the game releases in 2023 or whenever....

What are you doing here then? Yes, if they do those visuals at 240fps well? Anyway you seem to be aiming to disagree, I'll skip for another constructive discussion.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
While I disagree with most of the stuff in OP, I can respect the amount of work put into it.

Finally, we are in middle grounds:messenger_smiling_hearts: It's my opinion, anyone can have the opposite and it's fine. Just explaining myself why I'm impressed and think it was 10/10 event for me.

ToadMan

typical? I think you spreading FUD is typical. Enough already!

Show me a single indie game, that has this kind of gameplay.

Yawn. Sure man - I guess it will be awesome if anyone remembers it in 3 years time when it comes out.

I can’t believe you haven’t played a game with portals in it before. This is what Xsex is about then? 1 indie walking sim is the great seller - come on.

Maybe ease up on the walking sims and play some portal sim games lol

Last edited:

pasterpl

It's next gen only + PC. Console timed exclusive for PS5. See here:

Kena-Bridge-of-the-Spirits-240983.jpg

Kena_BOS_GameArt.jpg

Kena-Bridge-of-the-Spirits-240977.jpg

VillageRunning.jpg

woodknight-parry_wq75.jpg

rotcarry_t56g.jpg

It'll look like shit on current gen.

tell it to the devs, it is coming to PS4 and pc

Releasing in time for the 2020 holiday season, Kena: Bridge of Spirits will be coming exclusively to PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, and the Epic Games Store.

this is from the official press kit

TBiddy

Finally, we are in middle grounds:messenger_smiling_hearts: It's my opinion, anyone can have the opposite and it's fine. Just explaining myself why I'm impressed and think it was 10/10 event for me.

Of course. I was just as surprised as you were about the GTA5 announcement, but I'm honestly happy that you are so excited for the games shown. Personally, I found GT7, Oddworld and Kena to be the most interesting. And I might have to get the PS5 slim (if that is a thing eventually) to play Demon's Souls.

What are you doing here then? Yes, if they do those visuals at 240fps well? Anyone you seem aiming to disagree anyway, I'll skip for another constructive discussion.
I say that GT7 didn’t look good-> you post a screenshot supposedly to show how good it looks-> I reply by saying that it doesn’t look good-> you start talking about frame rates and,,,,240 fps basically admitting that it doesn’t look that good since they have to aim at....240 fps. Have a nice day

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Of course. I was just as surprised as you were about the GTA5 announcement, but I'm honestly happy that you are so excited for the games shown. Personally, I found GT7, Oddworld and Kena to be the most interesting. And I might have to get the PS5 slim (if that is a thing eventually) to play Demon's Souls.

Outside the first party Kena is so charming, it's like a dream for me to see such CGI-level, reminds me of old days Disney cartoons a little. It brings the child inside me :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Oddworld, well not much, but will get it for nostalgia, it's a good puzzle game.

Demon Souls is 50/50 for me, it's not my cup of tea, but looks impressive. Might give it a try.

Top Bottom