• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why IOS Rocks: The Gritty Reboot - IOS Gaming at its finest [Image heavy!]

heringer

List them. I'll add them later.

I started listing a few games but then I ended up making a list while I worked and it turns out the number of iOS games I enjoyed is downright insane. Sorry about the size of the list, I couldn't help it.

Ghost Blade
LostStar Tactics
Galaxy on Fire 2
GTA (SA and VC)
The World Ends With You
Chaos Rings 2 (I would put that over 1, but you can just name the whole series)
FFT (seriously, you don't leave FFT out of anything, ever)
Other Square Enix stuff (DQ4, DQ8, FF3, FF4, FF5, FF6, etc)
Ghost Trick
Ace Attorney Trilogy and Ace Attorney 5
Layton Brothers Mystery Room
Broken Sword series
Monkey Island 1 and 2
Summoner Wars
Battle Academy 1 and 2
Ascension
Kingdom Rush
Skulls of the Shogun
Real Racing 3 (debatable, but personally I really enjoyed despite the
fremiumnes)
Ridge Racer Slipstream
Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed
Riptide GP2
Death Rally
Need for Speed Most Wanted
Joe Danger games
Dead Space
Table Top Racing
Football Manager series
Castlestorm
World of Tanks
Sky Gamblers series
Arc Squadron
Bioshock (not a great port, but worth mentioning)
Powerpuff Girls: Defenders of Townsville
Zombieville USA 2
Minecraft PE
Shadowrun Returns
ORC Vengeance
Squids and Squids Wild West
Table Tennis Touch
Urban Trial Freestyle
Liberation Maiden
Puzzle Quest 2
RHYTHM THIEF
Shantae Risky's Revenge
Samurai Bloodshow and Alexandria Bloodshow
Kid Tripp
Cave games (DoDonPachi, Espgaluda, etc)
Hero Academy
Capsized+
Might & Magic Clash of Heroes
The Last Express
Lunar Silver Star Story Touch
The Walking Dead Assault
Apocalypse Max: Better Dead than Undead
God of Blades
The Curse
Horn
LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga
Rage of the Gladiator Premium
Wild Blood
LostWinds 1 and 2
Highborn
Air Mail
Gratuitous Space Battles
The Bard's Tale
Kung Fu Rabbit
Pulse: Volume 1
NyxQuest
Robo5
Aquaria
Crimson: Steam Pirates
Sid Meier's Pirates!
Bring Me Sandwiches!!
World of Goo
Another World
Papa Sangre 1 and 2
The Nightjar
Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor
Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land

Angst

Hell yeah it is. I just got to Las Venturas, having a blast going back through the game after a decade.

Did they fix the RC Plane mission from the PS2 days?

@More_Badass: great thread! I have to admit I use the thread to find good games to play on my S4 (I do have an iPad 2 but it's a bit too slow for many games).

PittaGAF

You need these kind of threads to realize how many good to awesome games are already on the platform.

Someone 'fresh' to the platform, even restricting to some specific genres, has probably a solid year of games to play, at a negligible cost.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Did they fix the RC Plane mission from the PS2 days?

@More_Badass: great thread! I have to admit I use the thread to find good games to play on my S4 (I do have an iPad 2 but it's a bit too slow for many games).

I did it first time so they must have. Planes in general feel a bit awkward though, I just did the flight school.

Fjordson

Sweet thread. Going to pick a few of these up. Great call on Gemini Rue. As a huge fan of the original, the iOS version is a very faithful port.

Any opinions on The Journey Down on iOS? Loved the first episode on PC.

Great list. I'll be trying out some of these game later on.

I'd like to recommend two puzzle (well, Spelltower mighty be classed as a word game) games: Spelltower and Async Corp.

Spelltower is a fantastic word game, like a mix between Scrabble (in terms of the letter values) and Boggle. I believe it's also universal so if you buy the iPhone version you will get the iPad one for free. It's been a while since the game came out but it's been updated to include a multiplayer mode and a night mode. Spelltower is the perfect game to show off your iPad as anyone can play it. The leaderboards are pretty rad too if you've got some friends playing every so often.

Async Corp is probably the best puzzle game I've played on the iPhone. You have two sides of the screen that are split into two. The object of the game is to 'ship' 2x2 coloured block to somewhere or whatever (the story is nonsense). To do this you need to trade one coloured block from one side of the screen to another, the only caveat being you have to form a 2x2 coloured block in order to switch them. I know I'm describing it, just try it and you will see. I've missed my stops on the bus so many times because of this game. The only complaint I have about this game is that it hasn't been updated for the iPhone 5, it's missing a portion of the screen. I wish this game got more attention because it really deserves it.

hongcha

This thread is wonderful, thanks for making it, OP! So many interesting games I have to check out. Just when you think you've played all the interesting iOS games, some one comes along and shows you there are 30 more you never heard of before.

Added a Rhythm section, probably missed a few games in that genre. Would Dropchord be more of a rhythm game or a twitch arcade game?

Need to finish formatting the Thread Recommendations section...and I'll tackle heringer's list later

SiDCrAzY

Man, so much info. to go through. I know what I'll be doing this weekend. I've missed out on years of iOS goodness since my iPad 3rd gen days.

Thanks for all the good work OP.

Nyx

Haven't read every single post yet but some good games I'm missing are:

Castle Doombad
Fairway Solitaire
Cursed Treasure 2
Motorsport Manager
Road of Kings
Musyc
Man at Arms TD

Epic thread.

My recommendation that hasn't been listed would be Gave Dev Story and all the other Kairosoft games. Also Sword & Poker

Uhhh everyone stay away from Square Enix and Capcom games until you know for sure they will work in iOS8

putermcgee

That longer list above seems to have a lot of just "hey I like this game!" and not so much shining examples of what makes iOS great.

But while we're talking about adding to the list of good racing games, I'd suggest:
8-Bit Rally
Final Freeway

Action/Platformers:
Pizza vs. Skeletons
Flip's Escape
Backflip Madness
Gravitron
Alone
Super Quick Hook
Hook World
Tiny Wings

RPG:
Saturday Morning RPG

Puzzle/Family/Misc.:
Symmetrain
Paint It Black
UFO on Tape
War Games
Unify
Spaceteam
Blueprint 3D
Godville

Strategy:
Narco Guerra

Same-Device Multiplayer:
Wrestle Jump
Soccer Physics
Tug the Table
Ice Rage

WTF:
30 Second Life
Magnetic Shaving Derby
Justin Smith's Realistic Summer Sports Simulator
Oshioki Punch Girl (http://youtu.be/ksYUVCT-yk4)
Gauge
Taiso
Daddy Longlegs

It's not any different! Your list is great because it might remind people of games they missed... but just like my list, I don't think they all need to be highlighted.
Yeah, I definitely can't add everything. Had to split the Platformers section in two due to character limits. But stuff like World of Goo, the Hook games, Paint It Back, Arc Squadron, etc...

Nyx

I've been playing this one recently, but it's frustratingly obtuse. I can't tell which towers work best against which types of enemy, I can't figure out how the card combination thing works (the card you get clearly isn't totally random, but how influenced is it by what you put in?), and what the hell the symbols mean. I get the cash and energy ones, but the rest are... ?

This really needs a tutorial or at least some kind of online guide. Even the official site doesn't have a lick of info on any of this.

It's been awhile since I finished it but you should check out the thread on the toucharcade forum, the developer(s) have put a lot of info in there!

Okay, so Icebreaker: A Viking Voyage

Making this thread reminded me of games I had but never really put much time into

And well, Icebreaker is easily one of the best physics puzzlers on IOS. Hands down, one of the best

I'm shocked that it never got reviewed by TA. Thankfully Pocketgamer, Appspy, and the other major IOS game sites gave it the attention and scores it deserves

Seriously, if you've never played Icebreaker, rectify that as soon as possible. It has the charm and witty style Nitrome does best, and the gameplay is just fantastic. You may be simply slicing ice and ropes, but the sheer amount of variety and creativity found in every level is just fantastic. Not only are there a ton of levels, each has a par to beat, plus achievements to complete.

FloatOn

I've been full on addicted to an old but good ios game recently: Orbital

it's geometry wars art meets bust a move gameplay (kind of)

A Dark Room is currently free. I'm playing through it again and I urge anyone who hasn't to give it a try. It may not seem like much from the App Store page, but it is more than it seems at first glance. I don't want to say more because it's the kind of experience that's much better when you go in blind.

Added FRAMED, NOON, The Sailor's Dream

FRAMED - $4.99
160574656.jpg

NOON - Free

The Sailor's Dream - $3.99

Added Zengrams to Puzzles

Zengrams - $2.99
Zengrams is an abstract, minimalist puzzler available exclusively on the Apple App Store for the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.
Designed by Andreas Boye and brought to you by the publisher of indie hits Pathogen and Third Eye Crime, Zengrams was designed to exercise your brain through deceptively simple puzzles in which players rearrange shapes into the correct design. Carefully manage your limited number of moves as you cut, combine and position your way to success.
066.png

My favorite minimalist puzzle game in a while. Simple, easy to understand, but a challenge to master.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Foreman_13805254_108_tw1_257x257.png

The World Ends With You Solo Remix should seriously be on this list. The original DS game is only my favorite game of all time, and this port is darn good despite preferring my dual-screen gameplay.
Those buttons are so sleek.

Almightree: The Last Dreamer - $0.99
The world is shattering and you are the only hope to restore the balance. A thrilling and challenging 3D puzzle platformer game. Find your way to awaken the Almightree while racing with calamity.
screen520x924.jpeg

Crossy Road - Free
Why did the Chicken cross the road?
Why did the Pigeon leave THAT there?
Why did Specimen 115 abduct that cow?
Why did Unihorse eat all that candy?
Crossy Road™ is the endless arcade hopper you’ll never want to put down.
screen322x572.jpeg

Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition - $9.99
In the northernmost reaches of the Forgotten Realms lies the region of icy tundra known as Icewind Dale. Journey deep into the Spine of the World mountains, a harsh and unforgiving territory settled by only the hardiest folk. Encounter fearsome beasts that have learned the cunning and ferocity needed to survive among the snow-shrouded peaks. Confront an evil that schemes beneath the carven glaciers and mountainsides to wreak destruction upon the face of Faerûn. This is the world of Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition.
screen520x924.jpeg

Kingdom Rush Origins - $2.99
Kingdom Rush: Origins is the third installment of the award-winning Kingdom Rush saga, loved by millions and earning accolades from gamers and critics around the globe. Take a trip back to the beginning, before Vez’nan ever thought to threaten the kingdom with the gem of power, and experience even more of the lightning-fast, exceptionally captivating gameplay that made the franchise a cornerstone of essential tower defense games. In this exciting prequel, command your elven army and defend mystical lands from sea serpents, evil sorcerers, and wave after wave of gnoll tribesman, all with the help of brand-spankin’ new towers, heroes, and spells to fend off every last baddie.
screen520x924.jpeg

Muertitos - $0.99
Muertitos is an original fun puzzle game that uses the match 3 mechanic in a new way. If you love puzzles and crazy mexican traditions, Muertitos is the game for you.
Additionally, Muertitos has an amazing art inherited from Mexican culture, so it is flashy and colorful. Also, if you are not a fan of Día de los Muertos, the game has another set of characters just for you and more coming soon.
screen568x568.jpeg

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath - $5.99
In the dusty, undeveloped wastelands of Western Mudos, cantankerous townsfolk find their settlements besieged by belligerent outlaws. Along comes Stranger, a drifter turned bounty hunter, with a unique double-barreled critter-firing crossbow.
Stranger’s Wrath has been passionately upgraded for this all-new release with all exciting new controls that make the most of the mobile format and improved visuals throughout.
screen640x640.jpeg

Quetzalcoatl - $1.99
Quetzalcoatl is your new challenge! Be prepared to push the limits of your brain with its 180 carefully designed snaky puzzles! Dozens of hours of gameplay are awaiting you!
screen322x572.jpeg

Sleep Attack TD - $2.99
Enjoy an amazing new TWIST in Tower Defense! You control the layout of the battlefield, and you decide the paths your enemies follow!
Build and place powerful turrets to attack invading enemies. Then rotate the battlefield to force foes down your preferred path of destruction. Be careful though, there are always multiple routes to control!
Combine tactical planning with strategic tower upgrades to slow, divert and damage your enemies
screen520x924.jpeg

Space Age - $3.99
Space Age is a game of cosmic adventure. Set in the retro-futuristic sci-fi world of 1976, it follows a small but determined band of intergalactic explorers who land on a seemingly uninhabited planet, Kepler-16. They soon discover there’s something both strange and familiar about this alien place… And what happens next is a clash of old and new, a battle of past mistakes and future fallout.
Space Age is a graphic adventure in the vein of 1990s classics, reimagined for the new millennium and its amazing mobile devices. Told in grand cinematic style, orchestrally scored, filled with drama, humor, and nostalgia, Space Age is a golden-age science-fiction story come to immersive life.
screen520x924.jpeg

Spirits - $0.99
Autumn is coming. Leaves fall, and spirits rise from the fallen leaves to begin their journey home. You must guide them, without direct control, by changing how the wind blows or by rebuilding the ground. Each spirit can be sacrificed to perform one of four actions - build a bridge of leaves, create a blowing cloud, dig tunnels, or block wind currents in an area. Use your actions wisely or you will run out of spirits. In each level it's up to you to find your own creative solution on how to get the spirits to the goal.
screen568x568.jpeg

Sunburn! - $2.99
Your ship is gone.
Your crew is scattered.
One option remains.
Gather your crew...

and jump into the sun.

Reunite your shipmates and hurtle toward the end in 50+ distinctly dangerous gravity puzzles.
screen520x924.jpeg

The Longest Journey Remastered - $6.99
One of the most beloved and critically acclaimed adventure games of all time is back, remastered and optimized for your mobile device!
The Longest Journey is truly more than a game - it's more like a book, a movie and a game all rolled into one. Explore an interactive and beautifully created universe from the perspective of April Ryan, a young art student who soon discovers that there is more to her world than meets the eye.
screen640x640.jpeg

Twelve a Dozen - $4.99
Join Twelve in this beautiful adventure-led game that takes you on a journey through a universe of numbers!
Twelve a Dozen’s puzzles revolve around the manipulating of numbers throughout the adventure. You’ll have help along the way from scattered “numbles”, which are the key to solving puzzles and unlocking awesome new powers. Taking the “numbles” and creating new numbers through addition, subtraction, division and multiplication you unlock the powers hidden in these new digits!
screen520x924.jpeg

Guys, Corrypt. Michael Brough's take on Sokoban. 'Nuff said
https://appsto.re/us/OcNgJ.i
Finally got it, and now I'm wondering why I waited so long

What, you need more? Fine, you know Frank Lantz, creator of that little game you might have heard of called Drop7? Listen to him then:
Corrypt is a brilliant game. It is small scale, you can finish it in a day, but it is densely packed with ideas and challenges and mind-altering epiphanies. Corrypt starts out as a simple puzzle game, a set of Sokoban logicmazes wrapped in a light Zelda-esque adventure theme. But as this game unfolds, it playfully twists this structure in a way that must be played to be understood.

Suffice to say, you can place Corrypt alongside Portal and Braid as a game which achieves great effects by experimenting with the fundamentals of its structure.

Corrypt is difficult in both senses of the word. It's difficult like a Rubik's Cube and it's difficult like noise music, avant garde cinema, or modernist literature. It is unconventional and uncompromising, but it is also personal and warm, the carefully crafted work of a single individual, and I found it strangely haunting.

Buy it. Play it. When you get stuck, put it away. Let it sit in your pocket, and in your head. Come back to it later and play some more. Eventually it will reveal its secrets to you, I promise.

This small game, with its rough edges and its cryptic, self-consuming topography, is beautiful and important, and will repay the attention you give it a thousandfold.

Boney

Banned
I get so happy whenever I see this bumped and see all this fantastic games I need to pick up. Framed is great!

And stupid community forms makes me forget about the monthly thread.

Subscribed. Thanks for all your effort. There are dozens of gems here already.

I get so happy whenever I see this bumped and see all this fantastic games I need to pick up. Framed is great!

And stupid community forms makes me forget about the monthly thread.
Thanks for the kind words.

IOS will be getting another gem this week when Papers Please finally releases on iPad

Corgi

Banned
Thanks for the kind words.

IOS will be getting another gem this week when Papers Please finally releases on iPad

you probably should throw some warnings for games that are currently broken for ios 8.

Ghost Trick and TWEWY are the ones i own that just don't work period.

Top Bottom