• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is it so difficult to sing-along Japanese anime songs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even with the friendly sing-along subtitles provided, I find it very difficult to sing with opening and ending songs in anime... Is it because the Japanese word structure is very different than English? They seem to pause after every 2 - 3 characters, in the middle of a word, which is very confusing.

Any tips on getting better at doing it? :p

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I dunno, its not just that. Even songs I've heard multiple times I had a hard as hell time doing karaoke.

Well it's not an isolated incident with a song or two, I have noticed this for years... I did manage to memorize a few songs after repeated listening and practice, but with Naruto for example, as soon as I start getting the hang of one song, it gets replaced with another :(

bjork

If you don't know you're not singing it right, neither will random people around you. And if some other anime fan calls you on it, just be like, "let's see you do better, ass." $5 says they don't try to top you. :)

Troidal

I assume your referring to recent animes, fast songs. If so, well, how some words are crammed in or spaced out deliberately makes it hard to sing right...actually this goes with most Japanese pop songs.

For example, where you'd normally speak out two syllables, in the song you'd have to cram it and say it fast as if it were just one syllable. Or the exact opposite...they make you stretch one syllable to space out where you can probably even say a single word. Timings tricky, but if you know what the word means it helps. If you dont, then its all memorization I suppose.

But hey karaoke is meant to be fun, not sure of the lyrics? cant sing so well? ...bah, who cares, have fun. Unless its one of those hardcore sing-a-long touneys or whatever.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
only ever tried it with 'konya wa hurricane' from Bubblegum crisis, but thats fairly slow, and to a nice simple 80's pop beat, so no problem

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I usually skip the OP's and ED's after I've seen them once.

Once raised the issue towards a certain fansub IRC community why bother with the karaoke, I was immediately flamed, sobbed a bit and ran for the tissues. Personally, if I wanted to sing karaoke I wouldn't be doing it at home to a computer.. I'd be going out to the nearest pub with group karaoke, get pissed as a skunk and try to remember that yes, there are shitter singers out there than me.

Advice to sing Jap - latch onto a Japanese band. It works wonders when you get used to the entire pronouncement. For a real challenge, try singing in Icelandic :p

SaitoH

I can sing the intro to Serial Experiments Lain ...

Oh wait, that's in english.

My piece of advice is to sing the english parts only. Make every song into a duet of sorts.

>_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom