• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is it that some of the simplest things accrue the most direhard fans?

Minecraft
Mario
Sonic
ect

They are the SIMPLEST things but yet you have people writing out FANFICTION/SONGS/MOVIES for a fucking Creeper, a character that litterally has no personality, dialogue or purpose other than blowing up.
ALL the Mario cosplay and fans I just don't get it

although sonic has gotten deeper since its beginning, its still a simple basis.

GamerJM

Banned
I don't really think how simple something is really affects this, those are just cherrypicked examples. Kingdom Hearts also falls under this category and its story is convoluted as shit.

I don't really think how simple something is really affects this, those are just cherrypicked examples. Kingdom Hearts also falls under this category and its story is convoluted as shit.

you can not say that KH has a bigger following than minecraft or Mario

GamerJM

Banned

Bigger? No. As "diehard"? Absolutely.

I guess in terms of size other people are right, simple means low barrier of entry. In terms of whether fans are "diehard," or not I think whether or not something is simple doesn't really have as big of an effect.

Boney

Banned
I don't understand your argument. Just because they're simple they can't have a following? And they can't express that through cosplays and what not?

Sure fan fiction writers are balls of the wall insane, but I don't understand where that fits in your argument

RM8

Simple concepts that are executed well have little to no drawbacks. Also, players decide how to play stuff like Minecraft or Mario, sometimes simplicity allows freedom, timelessness and longevity.

I certainly can't imagine why these inclusive, cultural phenomenon type experiences get an incredible amount of mainstream attention.

Top Bottom