• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is NBC failing and what can they do to stop it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinCow

Banned
Didn't Community already know this was their last season though? Makes sense they'd just appeal to the fans already watching.

No, that was 30 Rock and The Office. With Community, they fired the show lead and creator specifically to replace him with some new guys in the hope that they'd make the show less weird and more mainstream.

So far, the only result is that the show's less funny.

jstripes

Banned
NBC's failings probably have less to do with hitting the primary demographic that matches NeoGAF and more to do with not hitting the demos that still actually consider appointment Television a real thing. Those are the ones that actually sit in front of the TV when a show airs to watch it pretty much every week; old people.

Well, young people tune-in en masse for talent shows like The Voice. But that's only really because it's a live competition with results they don't want to be left out on hearing.

LordCanti

If ratings are going to be this bad anyway, they might as well resurrect every dead critical and/or cult darling from the past decade. I'm thinking Chuck and Pushing Daisies for starters.

They're going to burn their entire schedule with fire, and every show but Community is going to deserve it.

I stopped watching the big 3 networks mostly due in part of reality TV and talent shows dominating prime time

HBO, specialty channels and Netflix are the way to go now... forget about prime time tv

ari

Banned
Fire the executives that green light all of these shows?

Do no harm had no reason ever being ok'd, plus, every show seemed me too because not one comes off even remotely original.

flyover

Honestly, if they wanted higher ratings and lower costs, they should probably just go all in on reality TV and sports. They can mix that with some high quality genre shows with short seasons (like cable and the BBC do), which won't get good ratings by typical network standards, but will have a long life in physical and digital distribution. (That also means they shouldn't cancel those shows, even if ratings are low.)

They should just forget about any sitcoms and dramas. No point in competing with the other networks on that turf. The goal is to make money.

JaseMath

Anything my wife watches is on NBC by default. She really likes The Biggest Loser, and because we don't really watch television (other than AMC), it stays on NBC pretty much all the time as background noise.

Also, Hannibal looks good.

Its karma for their olympic turds

Three irony I'd that they have the best shows.

Community, parks, Grimm...

Honestly I'm shocked they haven't tried ER:Las Vegas

Mariolee

They need to start emulating CBS, who has some of the lowest common denominator, mass market shows.

Here's the thing though, they ARE trying to emulate CBS. They've got dramas with Chicago Fire, Law and Order, and the upcoming Hannibal (also, wasn't there a show about a guy living two lives a la Jekyll and Mr. Hyde?), they've got fantasy shows like Grimm, they have lowest common denominator sitcoms like Whitney and Are You There, Chelsea and they've got pretty good reality shows like Biggest Loser and The Voice. Their biggest problem seems to be as people have said before that they cancel everything and don't build up a strong userbase for their more broad shows, and create niche comedies like Community (but as I said before I love their Thursday Night Lineup).

Kimawolf

Well they need to copy CBS's approach to television shows. The general public likes action mixed in with some sexual tension and bits of comedy for there serial shows. I personally prefer their comedy to the shit on CBS like Two Broke Girls, but most people don't, it's not their kind of comedy.

Look at CBS. Their entire lineup is just bland lowest common denominator shit. And they're a hit! People love to watch dumb shit. It's one murder investigation after another. And then a typical laugh track sitcom. The only good things NBC has : pamrks and Rec and Community. And no ones tuning in for them either.

As stated before-They fucked up majorly with the Jay Leno fiasco and they've been trying to recover ever since. I really don't see any way they can recover. Think about this-it was a little over 10 years ago that they had Friends, Seinfeld, Fraiser and ER all on the same night.

thefro

Pretty sure Comcast will brute-force their way into turning things around. They keep ordering a ton of pilots.

NBC isn't in terrible shape because most of their non-primetime programming still does pretty good numbers.

And Sunday Night Football/Olympics are pretty big blocks to launch programming from.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Look at CBS. Their entire lineup is just bland lowest common denominator shit. And they're a hit!

While I agree that nearly all network TV is garbage I do have to admit that CBS network TV is the eclair perched nicely on top and from time to time I eat it.

Person of Interest
Modern Family
Survivor
Big Brother
Criminal Minds

While I agree that nearly all network TV is garbage I do have to admit that CBS network TV is the eclair perched nicely on top and from time to time I eat it.

Person of Interest
Modern Family
Survivor
Big Brother
Criminal Minds

Modern Family is on ABC and you couldn't pay me to watch that other crap.

Medalion

Banned
NBC backs shows like Community

I love it, but apparently the mass market does not.

Appeal to lowest common denominator.

Go On and Revolution got really high ratings, didn't they?

Go on did not do well. Revolution DID but in NBC's infinite wisdom they took it off the air for about 5 months. That show was a way to capitalize on The Walking Dead without having to show any icky zombies on their network.

DominoKid

Go on did not do well. Revolution DID but in NBC's infinite wisdom they took it off the air for about 5 months. That show was a way to capitalize on The Walking Dead without having to show any icky zombies on their network.

fucking baffling. i'd forgotten the show existed until a friend i watched it w/ brought it up.

The fuck? I was just thinking about this earlier today

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Was Revolution not produced enough yet?

Delaying it 5 months is about the dumbest thing they could have done, unless they had no choice in the matter.

I think the biggest problem is just that the comedies they are showing are based on an overarching plot and it's difficult to just watch a random episode. I could watch pretty much any episode of two and a half men or the big bang theory and just get what's happening as the overarching plot (if any) is simple and explained (the nerd is dating this girl, etc). For something like 30 rock or the office they usually have longer plots going on that are usually the focus of an episode so the main problem is that the average joe has to know the plot of the entire show or season so far to really understand what's happening right now.

They just need another show like friends where although there may be a larger plot going on, you can probably watch 90% of the episodes and get what's happening without prior knowledge.

strobogo

Banned
I feel like the CBS success with comedies is directly related to their soaps and day time programming on the local level. So many middle aged people just keep their TV on the local CBS affiliate all day because they like the news/soaps/Price is Right and just keep it there for the prime time programming.

Averon

NBC's decision to take Revolution off the air for 4-5 months is baffling. One of their few bright spots and they're trying their best to kill it. I predict Revolution won't get even half of its audience back when it comes back. And then it'll be cancelled after this season.

lucius

They still have a couple good shows just if you look at something like FX even they have Justified and The Americans, better than anything new it seems on NBC. Comcast as their new overlords I don't expect things to get much better, but at least it isn't as bad as Cablevision buying them. I like Community btw, they will probably cancel it.

beat

Still recovering from the dumbass Jay Leno experiment.
The Jay at 10 experiment was one of the last gasps of the Zucker era. Jeff Zucker had one great skill, which was squeezing his good shows for every bit of revenue possible, and one HUGE flaw as a network president: he sucked at developing new shows. And his big skill ultimately hurt NBC in the long run.

Nearly every show ultimately fails. You need to develop new shows to replace the old ones. NBC under other regimes was hit and miss - everyone is - but Zucker largely greenlit failures. To make up for a long run of being unable to launch anything good to step into Friends and Seinfeld's shoes when the time came, he started doing the 'super sized' episodes, which meant they could sell more valuable Friends ad time because now there was more to sell, but that also meant less air time to develop new shows. To be fair, I guess we can credit him with Fear Factor (good ratings, bad for NBC's brand identity as the classy network) and Scrubs (good show, mediocre ratings).

To save NBC's ratings, he had to get the Monday/Sunday night NFL contract back, and then his bosses said he had to hold development costs down to offset the giant NFL contract, so he did that.

This same 'manage for margins' philosophy (hold costs down, rather than develop hits) was what led to the Jay at 10 experiment: now Jay would do five shows a night in primetime, meaning they would spend a lot less than they would developing and programming five hours of real primetime entertainment. And it even kinda worked for NBC - Jay's ratings were terrible but his costs were low too. But affiliates were getting killed in their local 11 pm newscasts because Jay as a lead-in was awful, and this was leading up to open revolt.w So ultimately NBC had to cancel the experiment and provide real primetime programming at 10 again.

With this record of inability to build the network, only squeeze it for margins, and now with five hours of prime time left to fill again, Zucker was eventually fired, because he couldn't do what NBC/GE/Comcast actually needed him to do: develop shows. And because in corporate America at that level failure is rewarded, it cost Comcast another $30+ million just to be rid of him.

(So of course CNN hired him later... sigh.)

That said, Kevin Reilly worked for NBC as a high-ranking exec (President for Entertainment?) from 2004 to 2007 and it's widely held that he was a good exec, creatively. He developed and championed a bunch of good shows (Heroes, 30 Rock, The Office)... so of course he was fired in 2007. Fox hired him almost immediately, because Fox was not run by complete idiots.

I don't know anyone under 40 that gives a shit about a single thing NBC does.
You don't know anyone who watches Parks and Rec or Community? You have bad friends.

Look at CBS. Their entire lineup is just bland lowest common denominator shit. And they're a hit! People love to watch dumb shit. It's one murder investigation after another. And then a typical laugh track sitcom. The only good things NBC has : pamrks and Rec and Community. And no ones tuning in for them either.

As stated before-They fucked up majorly with the Jay Leno fiasco and they've been trying to recover ever since. I really don't see any way they can recover. Think about this-it was a little over 10 years ago that they had Friends, Seinfeld, Fraiser and ER all on the same night.
Frasier was almost (?) never on Thursdays. It was always the Tuesday night sitcom. And directly competing with CBS by aping them isn't necessarily a great idea. TV viewers already have a CBS, and it's giving them everything they want (except for the Voice, I guess). Like people said, NBC tried to give viewers a CBS experience with Whitney and Are You There, Chelsea. Didn't work.

Go On and Revolution got really high ratings, didn't they?
Yeah, because they ran with a Voice lead-in. Revolution was taken off the air until the Voice comes back, and Go On's ratings cratered without The Voice. Paper tigers.

And IMO Do No Harm wasn't just cancelled because of catastrophic ratings. It was heavily promoted and it looked terrible. People justly stayed away from a dog of a show. This was supposed to be their big midseason show. At least with crap they kill -- and this was the season where they cancelled Dane Cook's new sitcom after shooting 3 episodes plus the pilot and never aired a single episode -- they don't promote it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom