• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is PS3 Linux being ignored by gaming journalist?

Queeg

Dunpeal said:
Because almost nobody gives a shit about linux.

But yeah, i guess its gonna be awesome for the select few that want play all those illegal roms and watch Xvid in their console or something.

If that's all there is to Linux for you so be it, but I'd suggest looking at all the other things it could offer you. Also not all games you can play on emulators are illegal even some commercial ones. (the company's that don't wish to rape you again and again into the future for the same thing).

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Funky Papa said:
I really, really want to know if it would be possible to make a bootable XBMC thingy. Just power on the console and bang, all your media needs up there with no need to boot linux and then look for the programs using a mouse.
Of course it would be possible, quite easy in fact. Start X automatically, and use the media player as the sole X application without any X window manager. They could have such a very limited linux distribution not be bigger than 100 MB.

Queeg

A better way IMO would be have it boot to GDM or whatever you wish to use and then have it as an option to boot into from there instead of booting into Gnome, etc. That way you'd still have the full OS there if you wish to use something else by changing what you want to boot into.

BuddyC

Blimblim said:
Of course it would be possible, quite easy in fact. Start X automatically, and use the media player as the sole X application without any X window manager. They could have such a very limited linux distribution not be bigger than 100 MB.
I'm hoping we see that sooner than later. XBMC is the only reason my Xbox is still hooked up.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
BuddyC said:
I'm hoping we see that sooner than later. XBMC is the only reason my Xbox is still hooked up.
Same here, and I wouldn't need to have my laptop hooked up for HD stuff. I still have to try it myself but I doubt it will happen until Sony and/or Nvidia releases a full blown Xorg driver.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Blimblim said:
Same here, and I wouldn't need to have my laptop hooked up for HD stuff. I still have to try it myself but I doubt it will happen until Sony and/or Nvidia releases a full blown Xorg driver.

I'm guessing you say that because some existing apps out there could immediately use RSX for acceleration without any changes if there was such a driver?

With more effort on the Cell side it could really do everything you would want in terms of multimedia, but it wouldn't be as immediate as the above scenario would be in the presence of a suitable driver. If certain teams ventured to support Cell going forward, though, it could happen more quickly.

tirant

Blimblim said:
I think you'll be surprised by how quick some awesome apps will appear once the RSX is completely exposed to the linux kernel and Xorg.

Once you get access to RSX you will also need nvidia/sony PPC binary drivers. Open Source "nv" driver still sucks for 3D/multimedia. And I'm not sure if that will happen. Once you have full access to hardware, youre one step closer to play pirated games.

XBMC became so powerful because developers could use all the NV2A power from 1st day (because of the pirated Xbox SDK).

I'm guessing you say that because some existing apps out there could immediately use RSX for acceleration without any changes if there was such a driver?

OpenGL, DRI, SDL, etc... all hardware accelerated.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
yahso said:
w32codecs aren't supported in AMD64 or PowerPC Processors, MythTV will be somehow useless.
The w32codecs aren't as useful as before, since WMV9/VC1 is now natively supported by ffmpeg. AFAIK there isn't any popular format that can't be played by ffmpeg anymore.

Lo-Volt

If it comes with openoffice or something like that I'd care a little more, but it seems like Linux is a rather niche product that most real-world stores won't carry for PS3 owners. I guess gaming journalists would care more if EB suddenly took pre-orders for Yellow Dog Linux.

Danj

Lo-Volt said:
If it comes with openoffice or something like that I'd care a little more, but it seems like Linux is a rather niche product that most real-world stores won't carry for PS3 owners. I guess gaming journalists would care more if EB suddenly took pre-orders for Yellow Dog Linux.

Of course stores won't carry it; you can download it for FREE (without breaking the law!). The only reason to pay for Linux is if you need some kind of support contract or if there is some proprietary extension or application which is not available for open source Linux.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Lo-Volt said:

Both YDL and Fedora come with Open Office..YDL's should perform better on PS3 than Fedora's, currently, though.

Interesting you mention the latter point, as Terra Soft has said they're looking into distribution options they'd never have considered before. They'd like you to be able to pick up YDL alongside your PS3 ultimately..whether that means you'll see it appear in your local Gamestop or not, I don't know, but they seem to be looking into it.

Lo-Volt

Danj said:
Of course stores won't carry it; you can download it for FREE (without breaking the law!). The only reason to pay for Linux is if you need some kind of support contract or if there is some proprietary extension or application which is not available for open source Linux.

Believe it or not, I actually know that. But that wouldn't necessarily get the attention of a gaming journalist, so I thought it was a fair answer to the question.

gofreak: good to hear about oo. I personally so think it interesting that the PS3 could have an honest PC experience for owners who want it, assuming YDL runs well on the system. If printers are supported through USB and YDL too, that... would make me want one?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
elostyle said:
Don't most people already have a PC?

Not one with a) a Cell processor, b) a fixed set of hardware for developers to exploit and c) one that can play Playstation games, all in one neat little box under your TV ;)

These, amongst other reasons, make it a very interesting platform, to me and others at least.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
gofreak said:
Not one with a) a Cell processor, b) a fixed set of hardware for developers to exploit and c) one that can play Playstation games, all in one neat little box under your TV ;)

These, amongst other reasons, make it a very interesting platform, to me and others at least.
Wouldn't constantly booting into a different OS be a little annoying though? Or do I understand that wrong?

rubso

Banned
Blimblim said:
The w32codecs aren't as useful as before, since WMV9/VC1 is now natively supported by ffmpeg. AFAIK there isn't any popular format that can't be played by ffmpeg anymore.
how come? i have FFmpeg installed till now, every time i play a Windows Media Files, it keeps crashing, w32codecs handled them very well.
I use w32codecs at least in my Kubuntu box.

Edit1: screenshot from my pc describe this problem.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
elostyle said:
Wouldn't constantly booting into a different OS be a little annoying though? Or do I understand that wrong?

You can set your PS3 to boot into Linux by default, if you prefer. Holding down the power button for 5 seconds will always boot into the XMB regardless, so that'd be a handy way of doing things if you predominantly use Linux - just hit the on/off button once to go to Linux, hold it down for a few seconds to go to XMB.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
gofreak said:
You can set your PS3 to boot into Linux by default, if you prefer. Holding down the power button for 5 seconds will always boot into the XMB regardless, so that'd be a handy way of doing things if you predominantly use Linux - just hit the on/off button once to go to Linux, hold it down for a few seconds to go to XMB.
That IS pretty cool then.

cedric69

tirant said:
XBMC became so powerful because developers could use all the NV2A power from 1st day (because of the pirated Xbox SDK).
That's not what the developers are saying or, at least, for the most computationally intensive applications there's no GPU hardware acceleration (hence the serious problems at displaying 720p movie content).

Fredrik

Because they are gaming journalists? And because there are no official game related applications out there yet?

I used to be interested in this, mainly because I used to program on the Amiga and C64 and liked it a lot. But then I started thinking that if I should use Linux on PS3 in a proper way I would have to move the PS3 out of the living room. And I don't want that. So, no Linux for me.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
yahso said:
how come? i have FFmpeg installed till now, every time i play a Windows Media Files, it keeps crashing, w32codecs handled them very well.
I use w32codecs at least in my Kubuntu box.

Edit1: screenshot from my pc describe this problem.
Which version of mplayer is that? Only 1.0RC1 or svn version supports wmn natively (it was finished at the end of august)

rubso

Banned
Blimblim said:
Which version of mplayer is that? Only 1.0RC1 or svn version supports wmn natively (it was finished at the end of august)
MPlayer 1.0pre8, i had not read the new version's changelog it says "FFmpeg/libavcodec:

* VC-1/WMV3/WMV9 video decoder"
I'll compile it then :D

rubso

Banned
Blimblim said:
You do that ;)
It works !! even without w32codecs installed, yet i'm having minor problems with the Audio /dev/dsp being busy most of the time while there is no process is using it.
*Screenshot of success*

Blimblim

The Inside Track
yahso said:
It works !! even without w32codecs installed, yet i'm having minor problems with the Audio /dev/dsp being busy most of the time while there is no process is using it.
*Screenshot of success*
Told ya ;)

CamHostage

Yellow Dog's Linux will be the real PS3 Linux, this is just a proof-of-concept homebrew effort. I don't really see what needs to be written about this other than it's been done, for those who care.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Tain said:
As nice as it is, Xbox Mame is still pretty bad.

And Xbox can't handle HD videos. Whenever I try to play Gametrailer.com's HD videos through my Xbox it just can't handle it.

PS3 Linux is an incredibly smart move IMO and it's a massive edge to the PS3. Media center, emulators, geeks like me can use it as another render box for Vray/Renderman etc. (a bit limiting with the ram but still, it's extra power), e-book readers... man the list goes on and on.

Already we have a snes emulator and firefox, I think only 2-3 months and we'll start seeing some awesome stuff being done with this.

No wonder MS is scared and Steve Balmer himself is claiming that Linux is infringing on their copyright. Hah, it's all just too ironic.

Is it 2001 again?

linux-ps2.jpg

Relatively no one cares for it on the PC.

Even less will use it on the console end.

It think it will be amazing eventually.

Linux is being ignored by most people because most people started using OS's with windows. Linux requires effort so basically most people wont care.

Also unless you are some kind of DivX or MP3 fiend i dont see the advantage. I mean yeah you can use XBMC or linux to stream to your home theatre for the best picture and sound possible with these formats but if you wanted the actual best sound and picture you would use source components (dvd and cd at the moment) directly connected to your home theatre.

note i am only focussing on multimedia functions, i dont care about emulation and the other funky stuff is both beyond me and irrelevant to me

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
krypt0nian said:
Relatively no one cares for it on the PC.

Even less will use it on the console end.

It think it will be amazing eventually.

Press isn't covering it because this won't be news until the smart Linux heads codes up some amazing apps that will be attractive to PS3 users.

I have Zero doubt this is going to have a major impact. You might not care now (and therefore assume no one cares) but give it a few months. I bet you're a follower in this case, you just need someone to show you the awesome potential.

I bet this will also turn out to be a huge boost for Linux, and Microsoft will whine a lot.

Q: Why does no one care about PS3 Linux?

A: Because its a feature targetted at an uber niche segment of the market, and is going to have no impact on mainstream sales whatsoever.

Seriously, even if someone ports some kind of killer app to PS3 Linux (doubtfull given the hardware restrictions) no one except the uber nerds will have any idea how to install and use it. Can you picture little Timmy, age 14, who just wants to play the latest version of GTA, patching in a new OS so he can run someones linux media centre distro?

If this is going to have any impact, Sony is going to have to get behind it and offer user created downloads in the NP store, along with an easy way to launch and manage them. Maybe it will happen, but i wouldnt bet on it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
TheProfessor said:
Yes but you have all the hardware you need in the box. Not to mention real distributions with xwindows support.

Can't wait for YDL.

What is xwindows?

----

Banned
Isn't the possibility of putting an OS like Windows/Mac/Linux on PS3 dangerous to Sony's business model? Unlike a computer this device is being sold below cost with a razor & blades business model. If people end up purchasing it as a cheap but powerful PC, Sony would have no way of recouping their losses.

DeadlySchnauzer said:
Q: Why does no one care about PS3 Linux?

A: Because its a feature targetted at an uber niche segment of the market, and is going to have no impact on mainstream sales whatsoever.

Seriously, even if someone ports some kind of killer app to PS3 Linux (doubtfull given the hardware restrictions) no one except the uber nerds will have any idea how to install and use it. Can you picture little Timmy, age 14, who just wants to play the latest version of GTA, patching in a new OS so he can run someones linux media centre distro?

If this is going to have any impact, Sony is going to have to get behind it and offer user created downloads in the NP store, along with an easy way to launch and manage them. Maybe it will happen, but i wouldnt bet on it.

Agreed. I use Linux eight hours a day at work myself, and frankly I have absolutely no desire to have that damn thing on every random bit of hardware I own like some people do. At home I use Windows, because that's where the PC gaming is, and Linux gaming sucks complete ass, while my consoles sit under the TV and play games, which is what I bought them for.

If this functionality will in any way help the PS3 produce better top-notch games, then sign me up; other than that, file me under 'don't care.' If some of us frequent Linux users feel this way, then I imagine the vast majority of average consumers won't care either.

gofreak said:

Exactly.

A. I create 2D/3D fighting game on my PS3 with Linux.
B. The game will run exactly the same on my PS3 with Linux as your PS3 with Linux.
C. I could have you download the demo for free or the full game for $1.99 and Sony can't say shiznit about it.

thorsilver said:
Agreed. I use Linux eight hours a day at work myself, and frankly I have absolutely no desire to have that damn thing on every random bit of hardware I own like some people do. At home I use Windows, because that's where the PC gaming is, and Linux gaming sucks complete ass, while my consoles sit under the TV and play games, which is what I bought them for.

If this functionality will in any way help the PS3 produce better top-notch games, then sign me up; other than that, file me under 'don't care.' If some of us frequent Linux users feel this way, then I imagine the vast majority of average consumers won't care either.

But with Linux on PS3 it won't be just Linux anymore. It will be something more like Macintosh; because, now, there is a closed hardware platform that is intended to last 10 years. And if you use ANSI standard C++/OpenGL/SDL you know your code will run on all PS3's and probably many regular joe PC's with Windows.

Queeg

So where is this type of thing from the journos ?

How about asking Terra Soft for an interview, there is still a bit that some people would like to know about their distro. And neither does it hurt letting the public know what's there, ya know. Come on this is only a positive feature for everyone, it's upto the person to decide if they use it or not. It's not like Sony have taken anything away from the machine or charged any more for having this, it's just a very nice bonus.

MidgarBlowedUp said:
But with Linux on PS3 it won't be just Linux anymore. It will be something more like Macintosh; because, now, there is a closed hardware platform that is intended to last 10 years. And if you use ANSI standard C++/OpenGL/SDL you know your code will run on all PS3's and probably many regular joe PC's with Windows.

Let's just hope people stick to one distribution. Part of the problem Linux has as a whole is that there are too many distributions floating around, nothing's consistent. Just stick with one, set some hard standards, and toss the crap.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
_leech_ said:
Let's just hope people stick to one distribution. Part of the problem Linux has as a whole is that there are too many distributions floating around, nothing's consistent. Just stick with one, set some hard standards, and toss the crap.

Ha Ha :) Thats never going to change ! Linux is just the kernel, the rest is up to the programers.

Top Bottom