• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Skip Bayless employed by ESPN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodchuck

vas_a_morir said:
I hate Skip, but I gotta admit: He's right with his predictions more than almost anybody on that channel. Why? Maybe because he's a contrarian, and that plays into the unpredictable nature of Sports. I dunno.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=bayless/051027

Why has the BCS formula suddenly decided Texas is slightly better than USC? The Trojans, who wield the most difficult to defend offense in NCAA history, would beat Texas by two touchdowns on a neutral field. Maybe three.

never forget

Tamanon

Banned
woodchuck said:
he said somehting like the 2005 USC trojans were one of the greatest teams ever and that the Longhorns would be crushed in the Rose Bowl

never forget

That would be the one time he didn't take the contrarian view. Everybody on ESPN said that.

woodchuck

Tamanon said:
That would be the one time he didn't take the contrarian view. Everybody on ESPN said that.

really? i thought ESPN was saying how it'd be a really close game etc in order to try to build hype for it (on ABC)

Meier said:
On my phone so I can't search and confirm, but isn't Stoney a Lebronze fan? Explains a lot if so.

I like Lebron but if you think I fall into that menality of haters or lovers that is prevalent in the NBA thread you couldn't be more wrong.

A more credible argument would be that I'm just mad about his recent dumb comments on MMA and while I am that's just another dumb thing he's said to add to the list.

But I've mentioned casually in threads for years that he is a moron.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7405470&postcount=19

I Push Fat Kids said:
Because he knows more about sports than you.

So you mean he knows more about what he does for a living as a profession than I do about something I follow in my spare time but he still manages to say incredibly dumb and wrong things. Wow. That is impressive.

1-D_FTW

Have to agree with a lot of people in this thread. Even though I can't stand the guy (going back to the Cowboys hey days when he was the Valley Ranch guy), he's actually better than most of ESPNs cast.

1) He gets reactions. 2) At least he actually watches sports (which I don't think a lot of their "experts" do.) 3) Unlike most of ESPN, he's not completely bland and forgettable. He may suck, but at least he has a persona.

Zeliard said:
I can't believe there are fucking Skip Bayless defenders. Jesus. GAF really is an apologist for anything. :lol

While I agree they are entitled to their opinion. It is after all an opinion show. I just personally prefer an opinion that is informed that some outside knowledge or logic.

But it does clue me in why these sort of guys are popular and employed and the bar is so low if that is what the masses respond to.

People seem willing to tolerate anything if there is a perception that he is some how contrary to the whatever the prevailing opinion is. I guess its the O'Reilly syndrome

Tamanon

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
While I agree they are entitled to their opinion. But it does clue me in why these sort of guys are popular and employed and the bar is so low if that is what the masses respond to.

People seem willing to tolerate anything if there is a perception that he is some how contrary to the whatever the prevailing opinion is. I guess its the O'Reilly syndrome

Nah, it's just because Sports is a form of entertainment, thus being entertained is pretty good. It's not like actual journalism.

Tamanon said:
Nah, it's just because Sports is a form of entertainment, thus being entertained is pretty good. It's not like actual journalism.

I think sports is journalism though or at worse its opinion based on something. Entertainment in and of itself doesn't have to make sense. I would think sports journalism even at the low bar that it exists at would still need to retain some element of logic and sourcing but then I don't listen to sports radio which is more akin to what the current state of sports coverage is like I suppose. I fully admit I'm the one in the minority in this sort of state.

Zeliard

Skip's entire shtick involves arguing against whatever point the other person(s) is arguing, no matter such things as reason, analysis and common sense. The guy is literally a troll and makes no effort to hide it, and yet some people defend him as a good sportswriter. It's rather amazing. You can consider him entertaining if you want, but let's not try to pretend that he knows what he's talking about.

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah, but that's because you consider Skip a journalist. He's no more a journalist than Rush Limbaugh is. He's a commentator, that's all.

Plus, he probably reminds you of APF :p

1-D_FTW

Stoney Mason said:
While I agree they are entitled to their opinion. It is after all an opinion show. I just personally prefer an opinion that is informed that some outside knowledge or logic.

But it does clue me in why these sort of guys are popular and employed and the bar is so low if that is what the masses respond to.

That's the way of the world. Disney is as big and greedy as any corporation. Of course they're gonna like a guy who pushes people's buttons and gets them to watch.

That doesn't change the fact he at least has conviction to his beliefs (however stupid they tend to be.) I get the impression most of ESPN are are just phoning in clique answers till night falls and they can go partying.

Rorschach

Zeliard said:
I can't believe there are fucking Skip Bayless defenders. Jesus. GAF really is an apologist for anything. :lol
He's a troll. All you guys are doing by talking about him and watching his shows is feeding him and ensuring he stays on the air. Just ignore him, stop talking about him, and stop watching lame ass First Take.

Kevtones

Stoney Mason said:
So you mean he knows more about what he does for a living as a profession than I do about something I follow in my spare time but he still manages to say incredibly dumb and wrong things. Wow. That is impressive.

He's actually quite an accomplished sports journalist. Also, television debate shows need a foil, he knows it. It's not that difficult to comprehend.

Rorschach said:
He's a troll. All you guys are doing by talking about him and watching his shows is feeding him and ensuring he stays on the air. Just ignore him, stop talking about him, and stop watching lame ass First Take.

People need to stop this argument that because you speak about someone that only makes them more popular. You're part of the problem! type arguments

Clearly the man already has an audience. This forum isn't lousy with Skip Bayless threads. I don't watch him. In today's world you don't have to watch or be a consumer of somebody to know the dumb shit they say. He is going to stay on the air whether I made this thread or not. People can talk about shitty things or good things and that doesn't mean they are determining whether that thing becomes very popular or not. I post about Jazz music too. I'm not causing Jazz music to suddenly explode in popularity.

There is an argument to be said then of just don't watch him and fixate on him. Which is true. I was just curious as to how people enjoy him and asking the question is this really considered good work he is doing.

nomster

I never understood how Rick Bayless and Skip Bayless came from the same parents. Rick seems super laid back and cool, Skip is psychotic.

Barrett2

Can't speak to Skip, never see / hear him, however, Woody Paige is such an embarrassment and a complete moron I can barely stand any ATH that he is on. The amount of sheer fucking stupidity that flies out of his mouth on ATH is mystifying to me when there are so many other more knowledgeable, funny, interesting sportswriters that could be on. I don't know how anyone could enjoy listening to a goddamn thing Woody Paige has to say.

Rorschach

Stoney Mason said:
People need to stop this argument that because you speak about someone that only makes them more popular. You're part of the problem! type arguments

Clearly the man already has an audience. This forum isn't lousy with Skip Bayless threads. I don't watch him. In today's world you don't have to watch or be a consumer of somebody to know the dumb shit they say. He is going to stay on the air whether I made this thread or not. People can talk about shitty things or good things and that doesn't mean they are determining whether that thing becomes very popular or not. I post about Jazz music too. I'm not causing Jazz music to suddenly explode in popularity.
I said watching his show and talking about him. He makes a stupid comment about the UFC being rigged and all of a sudden, he has mad exposure. He's there to be hated. That's his thing.

Also, you shouldn't take his comments seriously. He probably doesn't believe most of the shit he spews. He's there to make the contrarian argument to everything. Be it logical or not.

There is an argument to be said then of just don't watch him and fixate on him. Which is true.
...yeah...

I was just curious as to how people enjoy him and asking the question is this really considered good work he is doing.
You asked why he wasn't fired. He's not fired because he's good at garnering attention and getting people to talk.

[edit] Also, no one really thinks like he does. I bet you the "audience" you speak of are just people that love to hate him, watch First Take, hate who he's talking about, or love to watch idiots get trolled/worked up over nothing.

1-D_FTW

The sports world needs more Rick Telender and The Sports Writers on TV. Now that was a quality sports talk show. The antithesis of everything that's ESPN.

Rorschach said:
I said watching his show and talking about him. He makes a stupid comment about the UFC being rigged and all of a sudden, he has mad exposure. He's there to be hated. That's his thing.

Also, you shouldn't take his comments seriously. He probably doesn't believe most of the shit he spews. He's there to make the contrarian argument to everything. Be it logical or not.

And that's also a very true and fair comment. It probably is a gimmick and that's what he is paid to do and its best to recognize that and ignore him in that same light.

Zeliard

lawblob said:
Can't speak to Skip, never see / hear him, however, Woody Paige is such an embarrassment and a complete moron I can barely stand any ATH that he is on. The amount of sheer fucking stupidity that flies out of his mouth on ATH is mystifying to me when there are so many other more knowledgeable, funny, interesting sportswriters that could be on. I don't know how anyone could enjoy listening to a goddamn thing Woody Paige has to say.

Woody has a self-effacing and self-deprecating air about him that makes him much more tolerable to me than Skip Bayless, who is unbelievably arrogant.

Barrett2

Zeliard said:
Woody has a self-effacing and self-deprecating air about him that makes him much more tolerable to me than Skip Bayless, who is unbelievably arrogant.

I haven't had cable TV for years, so the only ESPN I get is select podcasts, so fortunately I am not subjected to Skip. My only impressions of him are from when he used to guest-host for Jim Rome, and I thought he was garbage.

I used to enjoy Woody's goofiness on ATH and Cold Pizza, but it seems like his entire schtick now is built around him basically being a lazy old man who doesn't do his job anymore.

Lyude77

I agree, Skip just pretty much is a hater. He likes basically all the teams I dislike (vice versa), it's kind of ridiculous.

The only commentators on ESPN I really like are Kornheiser, Wilbon, and J.A. Adande. Basically, I like PTI...except when Dan LeBatard is a commentator. Man, he's awful.

Lyude77 said:
I agree, Skip just pretty much is a hater. He likes basically all the teams I dislike (vice versa), it's kind of ridiculous.

The only commentators on ESPN I really like are Kornheiser, Wilbon, and J.A. Adande. Basically, I like PTI...except when Dan LeBatard is a commentator. Man, he's awful.

Wilbon is a jackass.

Lyude77

vas_a_morir said:
Wilbon is a jackass.
Do you mean he has bad opinions, or he treats people poorly? I kinda think him being wrong half of the time is what makes the show good; it's a devil's advocate kinda deal sometimes, I'm sure. As far as treating his co-host badly, he only really does that with Dan Lebatard, and it's definitely deserved. :lol I just wish Kornheiser and Wilbon would finally be on at the same time again. :|

While we're on the subject of bad ESPN shows/talking heads, Sportsnation looks like the sports equivalent of Fox and Friends or something. It's kinda ridiculous. Oh well, whatever is needed to entertain is alright for sports, I guess.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Rome always gets shit on here, but at least Rome puts on an entertaining radio show.

I used to listen to Skip Bayless on the radio (Sporting News Radio I think) and he was such a loudmouth idiot even then. You can't imagine my shock that he's not only employed by ESPN now, but damn near famous. It's shocking. I would have lost my whole life savings on that bet, I'm still not sure who he had to blow to make that happen but happen it did.

Ironically I sorta like him now, at the least he's one of the only guys on ESPN that will have an opinion about something.

He's still no Jim Rome though. Jungle4lyfe

DJ_Tet

Banned
Tamanon said:
Who could've imagined a show based around Colin Cowherd and twitter would blow?

Could Colin Cowherd try any harder to be Jim Rome and fail more? I don't think it's possible. What a self-important loser Cowherd is.

DJ_Tet said:
Could Colin Cowherd try any harder to be Jim Rome and fail more? I don't think it's possible. What a self-important loser Cowherd is.

He's actually quite a bit different on Sportsnation. He's much calmer and not nearly as outlandish as he is on his own show.

Chris R

Buckethead said:
Yep. Also can't believe people shitting on Rome.
Guy just comes off like a huge dickwad, only cares about NBA and NFL, and shits all over basically any other sport. Not to mention I hate his cadence when he talks. But that is the benefit of having many channels on my TV :D I can turn the channel when he comes on, and turn it back when he is over.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Tamanon said:
Rome's too predictable these days anyways, just a boring cat now.

I wouldn't know, my shitty sports talk radio station won't carry him.

They don't like competition so they run Cowherd's derivative trash at noon against their own local yokel shit.

DJ_Tet

Banned
rhfb said:
Guy just comes off like a huge dickwad, only cares about NBA and NFL, and shits all over basically any other sport. Not to mention I hate his cadence when he talks. But that is the benefit of having many channels on my TV :D I can turn the channel when he comes on, and turn it back when he is over.

Rome on the radio >>>>>>> Rome on TV. Burning with Rome kinda sucks (except when he gets good guests or has good correspondents,) if you don't listen to his radio show I can see why it's grating. There are a lot of in-jokes that the TV only audience aren't privy to.

ToxicAdam

Skip is mostly harmless anymore. All his takes are boring and predictable. He's like the new Charles Barkley.

My two favorite radio guys are Andrew Siciliano (Fox Sports) and Eirk Kuselias. Erik is really good, but the "ESPN talking points" really drags down his personality sometimes (having to talk about Farve/TO/etc all the time).

Tamanon

Banned
Fox Sports Radio really does have some great personalities on it. Shame that they don't have a network here. We have 2 ESPN and a blah Sporting News station. JT the Brick was hilarious.

DJ_Tet

Banned
I agree, Kusilias is a bright star in the otherwise weak lineup of ESPN Radio. He deserves his own slot. Unfortunately Tirico decided he needed another job because we didn't get enough milquetoast. At least he's finally gone and it looks like it's Van Pelt's show now, but it should have been Kusilias' spot in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom