• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is social media so much thrash for knowledge?

Cyberpunkd

For real, I just re-installed Instagram to follow some people (even though I told them like 3 times to delete my account, nice GDPR there Facebook) I get content from about running.

WTF

I am immediately spammed my fuckton of suggested content (even though I clicked and it supposedly was not going to show me anything for 30 days?) of the most rubbish, obnoxious, downright wrong crap:

1. Tips about training endurance for running based on some stupid formulas taking your 5K pace into account (first time I ever saw that pace being used)
2. TheFashionJogger - the girl is hot, but she runs a marathon in 3 hours 19 so nothing crazy and majority of her content is her filming herself from the back showing her ass because reasons?
3. All the stupid shit workouts especially with insane graphics linking your body trying to teach you the “proper form”

Then I go to YouTube, I had to stop looking at piano content because I wanted to see how e.g. Glen Gould plays fucking Bach, but instead my feed was like this:

10 minutes a day to progress
7 things you need to be doing while playing piano
Try THIS ONE THING to revolutionise your playing

Again, some of these things from huge channels are downright wrong, like telling you to play trill with specific fingers - bitch, you play it how it is right for you + how the notes flow, most of the time it’s obvious which way is the most optimal way to play.

I forgot all the tech bros, even the largest ones in the running community like DC Rainmaker - he makes a video of 1 hour listing the product features from a product sheet, then he shows 7 similar graphs of GPS accuracy instead of saying something like “all of them are good, nobody cares if your butt is misplaced 2 meters to the right “.

Same with Linus, Dave2D, Marquee something - TF I care if a CPU is AMD suck my dick YU50 or Intel Giant Schlong x8666, tell me something like: “can it run Crysis at 4k120?”.

Rant’s over, have a great day everyone.

Because the people you're looking for aren't going to be 'Youtubers' and 'Influencers'. They're going to be the boring lecture-types and professor-types who will not have good editing or any additional bells and whistles, because they're simply recording their screen or setting up a basic camera to teach something like piano. They will have lower views and barely any comments because there's not really a community there, just people asking questions to learn more.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
My handy guide for social media ->

Instagram~

dD0UJwu.jpg

Facebook~

PGk7jMZ.png

X (Formally Twitter)~

KvoetqG.jpg

TikTok~

DvIeUkm.jpg

Youtube~

E06Cg0T.jpg

Going outside to your local Library, meeting people, reading books~

gST2kNT.jpg

Cyberpunkd

Because the people you're looking for aren't going to be 'Youtubers' and 'Influencers'. They're going to be the boring lecture-types and professor-types who will not have good editing or any additional bells and whistles, because they're simply recording their screen or setting up a basic camera to teach something like piano. They will have lower views and barely any comments because there's not really a community there, just people asking questions to learn more.
Yeah, this is what I realized, was just holding out hope that just maybe things aren't so bad.
My handy guide for social media ->

Instagram~

dD0UJwu.jpg

Facebook~

PGk7jMZ.png

X (Formally Twitter)~

KvoetqG.jpg

TikTok~

DvIeUkm.jpg

Youtube~

E06Cg0T.jpg

Going outside to your local Library, meeting people, reading books~

gST2kNT.jpg
Making the OP was worth it just to see this, thank you sir.

winjer

Gold Member
Consider how dumb the average person is. Then remember that half of them are even dumber.
And with social media, they can all gather at the same place and share their dumbness.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Because whatever people post on social media can not be verified. Everyone just makes shit up and post whatever they think.

Source: trust me bro

Top Bottom