• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Spike airing the shitty versions of original Star Wars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdt

I haven't seen these movies since I was a kid, and I was looking forward to watching all three straight through today.

But this version of I is bugging me. All these new(er) special effects clash horribly with the original movie.

Are there any other differences?

Enjoying the movie, besides that.

JoeBoy101

gdt5016 said:
I haven't seen these movies since I was a kid, and was looking forward to watching all three straight through today.

But this version of I it bugging me. All these new(er) special effects clash horribly with the original movie.

Are there any other differences?

Enjoying the movie, besides that.

Misread the op. Some of the newer effects are okay, but after looking at the redone Star Wars from the other thread, they could have really cleaned it up better instead of just throwing a bunch of flashy shit it.

Medalion

Banned
I don't think the original versions exist anymore or were recalled.

It's all about the special special editions.

Just get rid of the fucking music montage from ROTJ and I'll be fine.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
ep6_4.jpg

womp

Just got Spike HD added to my lineup and already have them set for DVR.

Shitty versions or not, it'll be nice to see them in HD.

Medalion

Banned
gdt5016 said:
Seriously, Jaba looked like a big pile of shit. Him and Solo talking was cringe worthy.

Better than the first Jabba restoration in the first special edition. Looked closer to the one in Episode I (which was tolerable).

I know *WHY* Anakin was put in that scene like that... I just think it looks like shit. But whatever.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Gallbaro said:
Hasn't Lucas made the originals very hard to find?

Not at all. You can get a set with all 3 of the original films for $25. It has both the special editions and original theatrical versions.

Lucas could take a page from Star Trek. The updated versions of the original series episodes are how it should be done. First, they made sure both versions came in one package from the start. It took a while before the theatrical versions were put out on DVD for Star Wars. Second, they didn't change anything, they updated things. They updated all the exterior space shots and rendered them in CGI, and then they went through and updated some of the other special effects from the 60's like phaser shots. Lastly they updated the music, not by changing the music, but simply by getting modern recording equipment and re-recording the original music.

example:
NewVsOldTrek.jpg

BlueMagic

Is there any video that shows the main differences between the two versions?

EDIT:
That's a photoshop, right? Did Lucas actually do that?

100% True, I rememeber watching it and being like 'WTF'. For the record, I think I never saw the original.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I was sitting down with food fixing to enjoy this....

What? I can't find the original versions? Nothing on amazon?

Edit: I see the amazon link. On my iPhone.

Medalion

Banned
Anakin looked like that, sans bad burning and missing limbs. He should be reborn as the last time he was a Jedi. Not when he died. Just cuz he killed the Emperor and "redeemed" himself, he was still dead as a Jedi. Force Ghosts seem to be a power relegated to the Lightside as far as I know, I dunno how the EU deals with it for the Sith.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
DeathNote said:
I was sitting down with food fixing to enjoy this....

What? I can't find the original versions? Nothing on amazon?

Click on the box set photo I posted. It takes you to the amazon page, and it has both theatrical and special editions of the film.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
DrForester said:
There are so many horrible things about this, but one of them is why Obi-Wan is still an old guy while Anakin gets to be his young, good looking self. If you're gonna destroy the ending of this movie, you may as well throw in CG Yoda and Ewan McGregor. Instead, there are still remnants to remind us...of what should have been.

SpeedingUptoStop

It's amazing how any given moment of the original trilogy has more passionate and real acting than the entirety of the prequels.

Darklord

Banned
SpeedingUptoStop said:
There are so many horrible things about this, but one of them is why Obi-Wan is still an old guy while Anakin gets to be his young, good looking self. If you're gonna destroy the ending of this movie, you may as well throw in CG Yoda and Ewan McGregor. Instead, there are still remnants to remind us...of what should have been.

It's because he went back to how he was just before he turned evil.

entremet

C'mon, Lucas, when are you going to release the Bluray versions? The fool took forever to release the original trilogy on DVD. The idiot didn't believe DVD was a proven format at the time.

The special editions are truly awful. The CGI just doesn't mesh well with the films at all and most of it is horribly dated.

That fucking beak thing Lucas added to the Sarlacc is one of the things that most annoys me.

Ridli

Medalion said:
Anakin looked like that, sans bad burning and missing limbs. He should be reborn as the last time he was a Jedi. Not when he died. Just cuz he killed the Emperor and "redeemed" himself, he was still dead as a Jedi. Force Ghosts seem to be a power relegated to the Lightside as far as I know, I dunno how the EU deals with it for the Sith.

I assure you that powerful Sith's spirits can exist long after they have died.

SpeedingUptoStop

Darklord said:
It's because he went back to how he was just before he turned evil.
Mehhhhh, fucker was always evil, IMO. I wouldn't trust that Phantom Menace mother fuckin kid either.

gdt

Gah! Too many commercials!

Just when momentum is building, I get a fucking ProActiv commercial.

gerg

DrForester said:
http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/anakinskywalker/img/ep6_4.jpg

I don't get why this change is hated so much. It makes sense to me, although SpeedingUptoStop's comment about old Obi-Wan and the puppet Yoda might ring true. However, those could be explained by Anakin appearing as he was when he was last "Anakin" (and not Darth Vader), and the puppet simply being "good enough".

Then again, I wasn't even born when RotJ was first released, so I have no frame of reference.

Edit: I'll also take the opportunity to take back what I said in the thread about the fan remakes.

JGS

Banned
DrForester said:

That picture conveys what I think the prequels did to the originial series. It tainted them by adding a bad story to an epic one. The old Star Wars movies haven't been the same now that I know the backstory, seeing Young Anakin just reminds me of this.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
gerg said:
I don't get why this change is hated so much. It makes sense to me, although SpeedingUptoStop's comment about old Obi-Wan and the puppet Yoda might ring true. However, those could be explained by Anakin appearing as he was when he was last "Anakin" (and not Darth Vader), and the puppet simply being "good enough".

Then again, I wasn't even born when RotJ was first released, so I have no frame of reference.

Honestly, I don't think the change would resonate with fans so much if it weren't a reminder of the prequel trilogy. Had the prequels been on par with the original trilogy, and had done a great job of telling the story of how Anakin fell, I don't think people would mind the change so much.

Medalion

Banned
It makes sense to a certain degree... people's biggest problems is not the fact this was changed, but the fact they put young Anakin/Hayden in here and most people hate the prequels because of him.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Medalion said:
It makes sense to a certain degree... people's biggest problems is not the fact this was changed, but the fact they put young Anakin/Hayden in here and most people hate the prequels because of him.

I don't blame Hayden for Anakin sucking, I blame Lucas. The main cast in the prequels are all at the least, competent actors, Lucas just doesn't know what to do with those.

womp

It really made no sense. It pisses me off that Yoda and Obi-Wan got the bad end of the stick being portrayed as old in this scene considering they were the good guys through it all and yet Anakin regains his youth after all the BS he caused.

Ridiculous.

Possibly the worst thing Lucas did in terms of retooling.

And don't give me that "Well, Anakin is shown that way because that is the last time he was 'good' with the force." BS...He redeemed himself at the end of Jedi, which was the entire POINT of Jedi in the first place: Vader's redemption via his son.

The entire saga is basically the Jedi getting the choice of the chosen one F'ed up since it wasn't Anakin, but his offspring that was to bring balance to the force.

Lucas can't even follow his own shit properly.

Lucas's damage on his own original trilogy is mind head fucking.

Still no BluRay version of the original movies without the Special Crap Editions junkage in 'em

BRING MY SHUTTLE!

eJawa

would probably like a hook in his jaw for that matter
Honestly, I don't mind the special editions to ANH and Empire. I rather like most of the changes (not all though). However, I don't really care for most of the stuff done to Return of the Jedi. The stupid Sarlacc beak, the stupid musical number, the stupid Anakin ghost and while I like the current ending theme, I still prefer the original Ewok song.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
DrForester said:
I don't blame Hayden for Anakin sucking, I blame Lucas. The main cast in the prequels are all at the least, competent actors, Lucas just doesn't know what to do with those.
Lucas admits himself, he isn't an actor's director. About the only people who figured out how where Ewan McGregor and Ian McDiarmid.

Medalion

Banned
womp said:
It really made no sense. It pisses me off that Yoda and Obi-Wan got the bad end of the stick being portrayed as old in this scene considering they were the good guys through it all and yet Anakin regains his youth after all the BS he caused.

Ridiculous.

Possibly the worst thing Lucas did in terms of retooling.

And don't give me that "Well, Anakin is shown that way because that is the last time he was 'good' with the force." BS...He redeemed himself at the end of Jedi, which was the entire POINT of Jedi in the first place: Vader's redemption via his son.

The entire saga is basically the Jedi getting the choice of the chosen one F'ed up since it wasn't Anakin, but his offspring that was to bring balance to the force.

Lucas can't even follow his own shit properly.

You can't undo all the damage Vader has done in one scene of killing the Emperor. He has commited serious acts of evil, while killing the Emperor brought balance to the Force, he still had a lot to make up for. Once he died as a Jedi, he cannot become a Jedi again through that one action. Vader's body had to be burned (yes his actual body, not just his suit as we see Anakin breathe his last breath and remain), not fade away like Yoda and Obi-Wan did when they became one with the Force.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
The original trilogy isn't even available in widescreen.

Lucas just dumped a 4:3 LaserDisc version on DVD to shut people up. South Park had it right, we need to protect films from their creators. Especially in the case of Lucas.

I'll never get to watch the Star Wars I grew up with and loved on BRD. I've come to accept the fact that I'll never watch them again, because I won't watch the stupid Special Editions with their stupid musical routines and lense flairs.

MechaX

JGS said:
That picture conveys what I think the prequels did to the originial series. It tainted them by adding a bad story to an epic one. The old Star Wars movies haven't been the same now that I know the backstory, seeing Young Anakin just reminds me of this.

Pretty much. While I admit that in the grand scheme of things, this change really isn't that minor, but it still manages to rub me entirely the wrong way. Hell, given that it's essentially the last scene in the Star Wars movies, it's pretty much that last reminder that the Prequels can never be undone.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Medalion said:
You can't undo all the damage Vader has done in one scene of killing the Emperor. He has commited serious acts of evil, while killing the Emperor brought balance to the Force, he still had a lot to make up for. Once he died as a Jedi, he cannot become a Jedi again through that one action. Vader's body had to be burned (yes his actual body, not just his suit as we see Anakin breathe his last breath and remain), not fade away like Yoda and Obi-Wan did when they became one with the Force.

How about THE MOVIE WAS MADE WHEN HAYDEN CHRISTIAN WAS 4 SO HE SHOULDN"T BE IN IT?!?

I don't care about the story implications. If Lucas wanted Vader to appear as a young Jedi before he turned evil he could have cast a young actor back in 83 to play the role. He didn't. He made the choice as a director at the time to have an older person portray Anakin.

25 years later he added in Hayden because he is a hack. Simple as that.

JGS

Banned
Medalion said:

I dislike the prequels because of Lucas.

I honestly had no problems with any of the cast, even young Anakin. To me he acted like a kid which was the point. Actually the cast was the best part. I liked McGregor, the Darth Maul guy, Yoda, Neeson, etc...I'm amazed they didn't phone it in. They seemed to actually be trying to work with the story. Who knows, maybe they liked it.

What I hated was the scenes/scenarios/conditions they were placed in and the dialogue they were given. The prequels do not match up tone or them wise with originals. Lucas purposely chose to change the the meaning from one of destiny and faith to one of science and reason.

I would not have a problem with either one of these as the original premise, but to mix and match it, especially with turning from one of science in the prequels to one of mysticism in the original later setting does not make sense at all to me.

Tobor

There's a special place reserved in the beakless Sarlacc Pit for anyone defending the Ghost Anakin swap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom