• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is the Sega Dreamcast so beloved?

The SH3 shot isn't prerendered.

Semantics aside, I think his point still stands. SH3 mostly takes place in small rooms and corridors, at 30fps with some occasional dips, and not a lot of enemies, etc. It's sort of like that Ryse comparison someone mentioned above. The game gets used too often to argue the case for some massive generational leap when, like someone also mentioned before, this isn't like WiiU vs PS4. (And look how good a ton of WiiU games look).

Melchiah

Semantics aside, I think his point still stands. SH3 mostly takes place in small rooms and corridors, at 30fps with some occasional dips, and not a lot of enemies, etc. It's sort of like that Ryse comparison someone mentioned above. The game gets used too often to argue the case for some massive generational leap when, like someone also mentioned before, this isn't like WiiU vs PS4. (And look how good a ton of WiiU games look).

It isn't a generational leap from the DC, but it's a leap nonetheless. Just like XB was a leap from the PS2. And you do move in outdoor areas as well, albeit less compared to the time you spend indoors. IIRC, there were more (and relatively large) outdoor sections in SH2, which also looked noticeably better than RE:CV.

RedSwirl

PS2 had also SSX on its European and American launch, and the PS4 had Resogun.

When I say an "excellent launch game" I mean a launch game that people still look back to and maybe even play years later. People still talk about Soul Calibur being one of the greatest games ever, and it spawned a popular franchise. Soul Calibur is still one of the highest rated games ever. People still play Melee at Evo and hardcore fans consider it the best Smash game. I don't even have to tell you the impact and reverence associated with Super Mario World or Super Mario 64.

SSX and Resogun don't come anywhere near that. SSX started a good franchise that petered out. I don't think people will still be talking about Resogun in 10 or even five years.

Depends on taste. I personally don't fancy fighting games, which is why both Soul Calibur and Tekken Tag Tournament were meh to me. Whereas SSX was, and still is, one of the finest racing games, and pure joy to play. Resogun is also amazingly fun and challenging, perhaps even too challenging for many.

If it was SSX Tricky we were talking about, I would agree. I love that damn game. Resogun was kind of meh. It's fun and challenging, if you like SHMUPS. Not a huge fan myself.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I actually think mgs2 is a better example.

kunonabi

There was still a lot going on in those small rooms and corridors. I sincerely doubt the DC could have pulled off the pulsating wall effects. SH3 still looks better than some 360 games so trying to downplay it to prop up the DC is a ridiculous stance.

Melchiah

When I say an "excellent launch game" I mean a launch game that people still look back to and maybe even play years later. People still talk about Soul Calibur being one of the greatest games ever, and it spawned a popular franchise. Soul Calibur is still one of the highest rated games ever. People still play Melee at Evo and hardcore fans consider it the best Smash game. I don't even have to tell you the impact and reverence associated with Super Mario World or Super Mario 64.

SSX and Resogun don't come anywhere near that. SSX started a good franchise that petered out. I don't think people will still be talking about Resogun in 10 or even five years.

Well, that's exactly how SSX is to me, and I'd wager to many others as well. It's still among my top 5 racers, and I think you're downplaying its merit. The Metacritic scores of SSX vs. SC aren't that far apart; 93/8.3 vs. 98/8.9. Dunno how it's going to be with Resogun, but I think it will be remembered at least as fondly as Super Stardust HD, if not more.

EDIT:
If it was SSX Tricky we were talking about, I would agree. I love that damn game. Resogun was kind of meh. It's fun and challenging, if you like SHMUPS. Not a huge fan myself.

I actually liked the original more for two reasons; you could change the view mode, and the tracks weren't as cluttered as they were in Tricky.

I think you're looking at the wrong things.

Silent Hill 2 and 3 were among the first games ever to offer fully dynamic shadows (soft shadows even - something removed from the PC version of SH2) cast by a light source. That is not a trivial thing. Then you have the remarkable fog effects (using particles) which were massively cut back on Xbox and PC. On top of that you have fullscreen effects like depth of field which wasn't really possible on Dreamcast and much higher polygon models. The animated texture layers were also mighty impressive at the time.

Code Veronica is extremely basic in comparison. I'm not even sure how you could make the argument that they're similar.

The point is, you're just looking at the final output without taking into account what is actually happening in the scene. Using the Shenmue head demos as a comparison is simply being disingenuous or ignorant. I'm guessing you have not played Silent Hill 3 or have no appreciation for its accomplishments due to some agenda.

It's possible to love both platforms, you know.

Me posting the head was exactly that: Demonstrating how disingenuous it is to post just a character to prove some kind of hardware power - it was an answer to the usual SH3 post. SH3 might have some beels and whistles CV might not be able to pull - but the camera angle, the overall game mechanics are at least more comparable than SH and Shenmue. CV is just a nice opportunity to see the capabilities of the Dreamcast. First full 3D environments of a resident evil game. Kinda dynmaic shadows, good IQ. For my amateurish opinion they are very close. ^^

Melchiah

Me posting the head was exactly that: Demonstrating how disingenuous it is to post just a character to prove some kind of hardware power - it was an answer to the usual SH3 post. SH3 might have some beels and whistles CV might not be able to pull - but the camera angle, the overall game mechanics are at least more comparable than SH and Shenmue. CV is just a nice opportunity to see the capabilities of the Dreamcast. First full 3D environments of a resident evil game. Kinda dynmaic shadows, good IQ. For my amateurish opinion they are very close. ^^

It wasn't to prove that, but to disprove the idea that the video I responded to was something completely out of PS2's reach.

cube444

To me it was the true "next gen" console. Playing HOTD2 and Soul Calibur on it blew me away. My brother-in-law bought the Japanese console before the US one came out. I also loved Sega Tetris and Virtua Striker 2 among others. The PS2 and Xbox simply didn't blow me away like the Dreamcast did.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The thing to remember with Shenmue is that it is actually rather limited as well. It depicts a city but each individual area is rather small and requires a non-trivial amount of loading. The world is broken up into many small chunks - something that was pretty necessary back then if wanted any level of detail.

Still a great experience, though. The hype for Shenmue was insane back then (at least among the faithful). I had an entire cd filled with all Shenmue related media I could find back then. An amazing time...

Shion

Because, despite its incredibly short lifespan, it was a forward-thinking console that gave us an amazing, and diverse, library of games. Moreover, many of its games -like Jet Set Radio, Metropolis Street Racer, Rez, Phantasy Star Online, Shenmue etc.- felt like experiencing something unprecedented at the time.

Fresh ideas, lots of new memorable IPs, online gaming, VGA output and a massive graphical leap over Gen 5 consoles.

Dreamcast had it all, it was 1.5 years of awesomeness.

kunonabi

To me it was the true "next gen" console. Playing HOTD2 and Soul Calibur on it blew me away. My brother-in-law bought the Japanese console before the US one came out. I also loved Sega Tetris and Virtua Striker 2 among others. The PS2 and Xbox simply didn't blow me away like the Dreamcast did.

As far as visuals go I've never been as wowed from one transition to the next as I was from the 32-bit era to the Dreamcast. Walking into my local anime/import store and seeing Sonic Adventure for the first time was an experience I'm never going to forget. Little did I know how much of my Sonic Adventure time would be spent looking at the VMU.

Muffdraul

I was really hyped about the Dreamcast when it came out and I had a lot of good times playing on it. Sonic Adventure, Skies of Arcadia, Jet Set Radio... but when I look back on it, it seems like a footnote in my console gaming career. Even more so than the Saturn.

It was a true arcade experience at home, I loved my Dreamcast, and a guy I work with gave me a Dreamcast yesterday, but it's brand new in the box still sealed, he found it in his loft, even the packaging looks exciting.

Looking past the stellar library the overall design is iconic and cool. The system has one of the slickest looking profiles ever, VMUs are goofy little doodads that beg to be handled and the controller, while supremely shitty to hold/use, is instantly recognizable. Also doesn't hurt that the name, logo and startup animation are so unique and appealing.

It's basically the perfect system for collectors. So so so glad I got another one.

Tain

Glad this got bumped, because I ran into this Power Stone commercial today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRZeD3ILy2A

I downloaded this commercial from some gaming site (IGN? PlanetDreamcast?) as a kid in 1999, before the Dreamcast's launch, and it made me awfully pumped for the console's release. Looking back, who can blame me? What a great commercial! It's 15 dense seconds of awesome situations that can happen moment-to-moment in a super unique and fast-paced game, all set to that hype Londo theme.

And the game sure as shit did not disappoint.

Here's something I've wondered... Why did Sega have such bad copy protection on the dreamcast? Even on the psx and Saturn, copying and playing games was much harder. I remember how easy it was to rent a game and burn it on your PC with some simple software. I could never really figure out why Sega didn't take any more precautions against this, especially when the Saturn supposedly had strong copy protection.

Top Bottom