• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why isn't ____ used more frequently in games?

Fbh

Just thought it could be a fun thread.
What are some themes or items or settings that you think would fit really well with gaming but somehow feel underutilized.

For example. Why aren't there more "Space Operas" or similar stuff in games?
We've got a ton of fun movies, books and TV shows which seem to be quite popular but when it comes to games I find it hard to find any recent examples beyond Mass Effect.
It's a genre that seems to have everything you could need for a cool game. Since it's set in space you can go crazy with all sorts of locations, alien races, weapons, abilities, gadgets, etc and yet no one seems interested.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Why is there not a Far Cry Primal 2 with dinosaurs...or any decent game with dinos?

Why isn't DINOSAURS used more frequently in games?

Last edited:

ViolentP

Comedy was prevalent back in the Lucastarts and Sierra days. Now it appears to be more a niche feature.

Mihos

Gold Member
Character Import.... even if the go all SSI D&D "You wake up naked with all of your equipment gone" route.

Would like to see that in souls games, fallout/elder scrolls, etc.

Nymphae

Banned
Party games have done a good job of bringing laughs. Especially something like Jack that has humor in spades.

True, though most party games I think the laughs come from the group interactions and such. Which is true in YDKJ as well, but damn their writing was top notch. And the voice work was excellent as well.

ViolentP

True, though most party games I think the laughs come from the group interactions and such. Which is true in YDKJ as well, but damn their writing was top notch. And the voice work was excellent as well.

Absolutely right on all points.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I want to see more hack & Slash with bare fist combat.
giphy.gif

godhand_azel_03.gif

Last edited:
Why is there not a Far Cry Primal 2 with dinosaurs...or any decent game with dinos?

Why isn't DINOSAURS used more frequently in games?

This is my thoughts exactly.

Maybe the failure of Jurassic Park Trespasser permanently scared developers off?

Another thing I'd like to see is a game with a retro fantasy aesthetic, something that looks like old 80s D&D art or the art of Keith Parkinson

Verdanth

I would love to see Capcom develop remake of Asuras's Wrath with proper fist combat and we would have game of the the generation in our hands.

Agree. Loved the concept of the game. Its simple, but an amazing interective anime. I would love to see more bets from japanese developers on untold mangas, with this style.

My only grip is with the ending not being available in the base game.

Played the game on PS Now and had to watch the real ending on youtube. As I understand the real ending was DLC at the time wasn't it? The balls to actually do that lol.

Last edited:
Also, similar to the retro fantasy aesthetic idea, I'd also like to see a pirate game with a retro aesthetic, not quite as cartoony as Sea of Thieves but not as realistic as Assassin's Creed 4 or the upcoming Skull and Bones.

If you played Pirates: The Legend of Black Kat on PS2/Xbox (and you probably didn't!) then something like that.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Why isn't Octopath Traveler's HD-2D / sprites in a detailed 3D background used more frequently in games?

The result was brilliant and I'd love to see older 2D games remade in this fashion - especially Final Fantasy VI.

Catphish

Police duty.

I can't believe there hasn't been any open-world cop game, like GTA, except where you're the good guys, trying to do good things. Drive around, nail speeders, foil crimes, respond to calls, get a real look into the life of a cop.

Seems to me a woefully under-used theme. If I had the means, it would be the game I'd create.

Skyfox

Add me to the dinosaur list.

I even had to stop playing the most recent Turok on PS3 because it just seemed to be an endless amount of unkillable soldiers.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Police duty.

I can't believe there hasn't been any open-world cop game, like GTA, except where you're the good guys, trying to do good things. Drive around, nail speeders, foil crimes, respond to calls, get a real look into the life of a cop.

Seems to me a woefully under-used theme. If I had the means, it would be the game I'd create.
Thankfully we have upcoming Astral Chain.:messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Astral-Chain.jpg

AstralChain_scrn_LegionInvestigation_02.jpg

AstralChain_scrn_Enemy_02.jpg

giphy.gif

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Why isn't the tidally locked planet of Exodus used in more games?! That place looked totally sick.

I've also questioned the lack of space operas. And man, why aren't there any immersive post-apocalyptic games set in a wintry wasteland? I've got overgrown, undead, radiated, and dried up wastelands aplenty, but no open world nuclear winter. Post-apocalyptic settings are by far my favorite, tell me a game's set after the fall of man and I'm basically already sold, and I've been waiting years to be able to explore a cataclysmic years-long winter. Same goes for flooded worlds, something akin to Waterworld.

FireFly

Police duty.

zenspider

Indian mythology and culture.

It's got to be one of the richest and most complex, yet I've never seen a game tackle it. There's some glancing references in Shin Megami Tensei, Final Fantasy, and some other Japanese games, and do add a nice texture, but they definitely could go deeper.

Verdanth

Police duty.

True crime: streets of LA.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Character Import.... even if the go all SSI D&D "You wake up naked with all of your equipment gone" route.

Would like to see that in souls games, fallout/elder scrolls, etc.

For either sequels where you play the same character(s), or games where you create your own character - this is a pretty obvious omission in a lot of games.

Telltale's Walking Dead handled this pretty well actually, essentially letting some of your decisions persist across multiple seasons / games as long as they were played on the same system.

I'd love to see something like a character import for Fallout 5 or Elder Scrolls 6 where not only do you get to keep your character's physical characteristics but maybe also build some lore around it as well. Like in Oblivion after you did the first Oblivion gate, people saw you and said "Oh, it's the hero of Kvatch!" -> expand this out to multiple games where maybe some NPC recognizes you or your deeds from the previous game. It's usually done best when it's done subtly so that newcomers to a series don't miss anything.

In the world of cloud saves on basically every platform, it's a shame this isn't much more prevalent. Good call.

sinseers

Why isn't the internal clock used more frequently in games? Some games in the 90s made good use of it. I really thought it was going to be standard from there on. Dunno why it fell off the radar.

jshackles

Good point, especially considering that the complaints about the real time clock being easy to bypass (change the system time) could be easily alleviated by using an online server's time rather than your system's time.

Bkdk

Why isn’t strategy of providing mod tools used more frequently in AAA games. At this point if they can provide a mod tools like elder scrolls do, I wouldn’t mind Paying extra 50usd for them , I’d rather have that instead of official dlcs anyway. Plus the community will help them fix the games and be free devs to continue their game. Elder scrolls and fallout is still my most played single player games due to mods. Fallout 4 with mods is one of my most favorite game this gen, it adds so much content and fun stuff.

Nymphae

Banned
Why isn't the internal clock used more frequently in games? Some games in the 90s made good use of it. I really thought it was going to be standard from there on. Dunno why it fell off the radar.

It's just gimmicky, what can you really do with it? Seaman was a good use. In fact, there needs to be more games that have AI you can talk with. Back in 2000 I was blown the fuck away when Seaman asked me what my birthday was, and then immediately told me a celebrity that had the same one.

One of the Batman Arkham games used the internal clock, if you visited the Calendar dude in jail on certain special days he would say different stuff.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Why aren't there more games where you are the bad guy, or you are the King Lizard Creep trying to kick all the human's heads in?

Gamernyc78

Banned
Why aren't there more games with "rail gun" weapons? I remember playing killzone and was in awe using the rail gun and pinning enemies into the wall with it everytime I used this weapon.

Vampires. Vampires, always.

Non combat mechanics. Brilliant stuff like fire fighting alas Burning Rangers, for example.

Present day backgrounds.

Top Bottom