• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why isn't Forza 8 the launch title?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
May be I missed the news, but have they told us why FM8 isn't releasing this year? Ever since the first Forza in 2005, it has been on a 2 year cycle and honestly it has never disappointed. Quality has been great consistently.
  • Forza Motorsport (2005)
  • Forza Motorsport 2 (2007)
  • Forza Motorsport 3 (2009)
  • Forza Motorsport 4 (2011)
  • Forza Motorsport 5 (2013)
  • Forza Motorsport 6 (2015)
  • Forza Motorsport 7 (2017)
given its a new console launch and it has already been 3 years since last Forza, why isn't the new entry ready for this holiday? Seems like a huge mistake.

but more so, I can't wrap my mind around what Turn 10 is doing that its taking them 4 years? is anyone else confused?

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
May be I missed the news, but have they told us why FM8 isn't releasing this year? Ever since the first Forza in 2005, it has been on a 2 year cycle and honestly it has never disappointed. Quality has been great consistently.
  • Forza Motorsport (2005)
  • Forza Motorsport 2 (2007)
  • Forza Motorsport 3 (2009)
  • Forza Motorsport 4 (2011)
  • Forza Motorsport 5 (2013)
  • Forza Motorsport 6 (2015)
  • Forza Motorsport 7 (2017)
given its a new console launch and it has already been 3 years since last Forza, why isn't the new entry ready for this holiday? Seems like a huge mistake.

but more so, I can't wrap my mind around what Turn 10 is doing that its taking them 4 years?

Uhh, making a brand new game with many changes to their engine and dev pipeline? Turn 10 was making games insanely fast, far beyond the standard for the industry. Compare their output to other racing companies, and you'll see a 4 year dev cycle is much more common that the 2 year cycle they were on.

BeforeU

Uhh, making a brand new game with many changes to their engine and dev pipeline? Turn 10 was making games insanely fast, far beyond the standard for the industry. Compare their output to other racing companies, and you'll see a 4 year dev cycle is much more common that the 2 year cycle they were on.

I mean they did it with FM5? that was a big architectural difference, and yet they were able to do it on 2 year cycle. This time its not even that. Its going to be cross gen.

You can't knock them for taking an extra year one time, look at how long Gran Turismo takes.

Oh i am not knocking them. Also its extra 2 years. Its just a bizarre business decision imo. Should be the console showcase title.

Last edited:

Senua

Gold Member
Because they are going back to the drawing board, Forza Motorsport has been stale for quite a while, its getting a well deserved reboot.

BeforeU

Because they are going back to the drawing board, Forza Motorsport has been stale for quite a while, its getting a well deserved reboot.

That would be great, but have they specified this? or just speculations?

Oh i am not knocking them. Also its extra 2 years. Its just a bizarre business decision imo. Should be the console showcase title.
Yea I edited after, I knew it wasn't one year idk why I typed that. They thought they had Halo so Forza could take the extra year that it needed. The bizarre business decision was not using Gears Tactics as the backup incase anything happened to Halo Infinite, now Gears is just a late port.

bender

What time is it?
I'd argue that strenuous release schedule is probably the reason the new one is taking so long. How has the reception for the series been of late anyway?

As long as that reboot is FH5.

I'm probably overly fatigued by playing the series in such rapid succession, but I struggled with FH4. The series could use a break and some retooling too.

I'm no Forza fan but it's a tradition to get a new console on launch day, play a beautiful (but mundane) car game for a couple of hours and then never play it again.

I'll miss the good old days.

Disclaimer: I am an unashamed wall bouncer who requires an alternative branch of physics in games to be able to compete and have fun.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
With Microsodt's strategy I hope they have the base Forza on gamepass and have new tracks and cars as DLC at regular intervals to keep Forza fans with gamepass. That way you can build on the one driving game for the generation with regular content as opposed to a new game every few years.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Maybe they are working on it To be dedicated to xbox series hardware.
So 2021-2022?

Im more interested for FH5 and how turns out

Banned
they're rebooting the Motorsport series and they overhaul the whole engine.

it's actually kinda exciting that they take their time this time around.
the 2 year cycle was not sustainable for long.

I also bet that they want this new game to be the platform for this whole generation.
the Forza Motorsport series doesn't need a new installment every other year. a really good foundation that can be added to and updated is a way better way to go for Forza Motorsport.

With Microsodt's strategy I hope they have the base Forza on gamepass and have new tracks and cars as DLC at regular intervals to keep Forza fans with gamepass. That way you can build on the one driving game for the generation with regular content as opposed to a new game every few years.

That sounds great. MS releases an incomplete game where they can charge $10 a month and have complete control and decide whether to pull/rotate the game out at anytime.

Unless most of your networth is tied up in MS shares, why would anyone think this would be a good thing?

Piku_Ringo

Banned
I'd argue that strenuous release schedule is probably the reason the new one is taking so long. How has the reception for the series been of late anyway?

I'm probably overly fatigued by playing the series in such rapid succession, but I struggled with FH4. The series could use a break and some retooling too.
Really? I always found the FH spinoff to be crazy fun, more so then the regular Forza, and GT. Kind wished Sony would have an answer to their arcadey open world racer.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I don't know, I thought Forza 8 was a lock for launch, I think MS really fucked this up.

Everyone saying "well they're taking extra time" - yes that's why Forza 8 didn't come out last year.

Lone Wolf

I mean they did it with FM5? that was a big architectural difference, and yet they were able to do it on 2 year cycle. This time its not even that. Its going to be cross gen.

Forza 5 came in hot and had a huge day one patch that was actually a big chunk of the game. Obviously Turn 10 will not rush this next entry. I expect we will see it holiday 2021 at the absolute earliest.

bender

What time is it?
Really? I always found the FH spinoff to be crazy fun, more so then the regular Forza, and GT. Kind wished Sony would have an answer to their arcadey open world racer.

You have to understand I went from FH3 (loved) to FH2/F&F (enjoyable not to the heights of FH3) to FH (favorite) to FH4 (good but the low point in the series, call it a mix of fatigue and I hated how live service-y it felt).

Dick Jones

Gold Member
That sounds great. MS releases an incomplete game where they can charge $10 a month and have complete control and decide whether to pull/rotate the game out at anytime.

Unless most of your networth is tied up in MS shares, why would anyone think this would be a good thing?
That's not what I meant. Think of it like one main Madden per generation where you release your base game and instead of yearly 'new game roster updates' you introduce regular dlc to keep the game fresh. That produces more regular content for MS than a new game every few years. I'm assuming gamepass has all dlc included when released like the rest of the first party but you are selling it like dlc for those who are not investing in gamepass. I hope that's clearer.

Fox Mulder

I thought it was a lock for launch as they already skipped the usual spot for Forza 8 in 2019 a year after Forza Horizon 4. Forza has been like clockwork for generations.

Will be interesting to see what FM8 is if they’re taking all this time.

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Resetting the series as they move to a platform model. A game with iterative updates rather than biennial sequels. The right strategy for a title like this.

Esca

I'm glad they are putting in extra time in this one. I'll buy it when it comes out, but have to admit I'm looking forward to FH5 more

That's not what I meant. Think of it like one main Madden per generation where you release your base game and instead of yearly 'new game roster updates' you introduce regular dlc to keep the game fresh. That produces more regular content for MS than a new game every few years. I'm assuming gamepass has all dlc included when released like the rest of the first party but you are selling it like dlc for those who are not investing in gamepass. I hope that's clearer.

Madden is unquestionably the most stale gaming IP at the moment. If Turn10 was producing this level of ineptitude I would agree:

The biggest value of gamepass is value for the dollar. Receiving full retail priced games at a discounted monthly fee. Once game development is tailored around a subscription model the end user will end up paying more in the long run.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
It's a ground up rewrite for next gen only, not coming to Xbox One, and they didn't even start working on it until at least mid 2018 because they had the entire team working on keeping Forza 7 supported.

It's not cross gen. It's next gen only. It's not a bizarre business decision at all. In 2022 they'll launch a 4K60FPS next gen only absolute showcase for the console and will probably support it for 2+ years before making another sequel. It's the perfect game for GaaS, as previous Forzas have shown, especially 7.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned

Forzas are quite complete games day one. If you have 500 or so cars on the base game, and then dlcs with a couple of dozens of special car editions, like now, I dont see the problem.

skneogaf

I still believe forza motorsport should be free to play one track and 3 cars and everything else dlc. Season passes giving us cars, tracks and updated graphics for all those things as we go through the years.

Same thing with fifa and other games that get multiple releases.

That way all players are on one version of the game so lobbies have enough players.

I also have no interest in buying F1 games as they only last one year before being replaced yet I'd buy it if it was done my way for some reason as I'm just updating the game in my mind.

Maybe I need to explain it better but base game and seasons each year is the absolute best way and forza could release soon as development will be ongoing.

I think gran turismo kind of did it without meaning to as the game came out with hardly anything but improved massively ovr its lifetime to a point when a new gran turismo is coming out on PS5 that looks like gran turismo sport plus ray tracing and full campaign.

Last edited:

imbrock

Banned
still looks better then the competition.
To be fair most racing sims look more or less identical. The arcade racers have a bit more variety, like the high contrast medium saturation, quasi realistic look of the Forza horizon series vs the super realistic mainline series.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Madden is unquestionably the most stale gaming IP at the moment. If Turn10 was producing this level of ineptitude I would agree:

The biggest value of gamepass is value for the dollar. Receiving full retail priced games at a discounted monthly fee. Once game development is tailored around a subscription model the end user will end up paying more in the long run.

Maybe mentioning Madden was the wrong idea. The next Forza will be of a high quality, no doubt. What I'm saying is to keep that as the generational game (akin to Mario Kart with one game per generation) and introduce new cars and courses at a regular pace to keep it fresh.

Rickyiez

I would be hype if it's the exact same game as FH4 but set in Japan and with Ray-tracing . Microsoft hire me this is an easy cash grab

They are using a new game engine and they were pumping out Forza Motorsport every 2 years pior and i think the New Forza will release before Gran Turismo 7 does cause Polyphony Digital are the master at taking forever.

CamHostage

No knock on the developer, but I'm as surprised as the OP that a Forza isn't happening this year, I just took it as a given that the launch would be Halo and Forza like it has been for every Xbox for generations now. (Okay, yeah, so not only have there only been three other Xbox launches, but there has never been one with a Halo/Forza combo... but doesn't it feel like that's always been the case?)

Strange for me, because I seem to recall there being autoshow and other events that have been about licensing and talks of a future Forza for a while now (though some of that maybe ended up being F7 DLC?,) and Turn 10 skipped the 2019 Forza "annual release" to concentrate on the next game. So when that first trailer popped up in the Xbox Showcase, I took it for granted that there'd be a 2020 date at the end of the clip; it totally caught me off-guard to hear that it was not only missing the launch, but was still in "early development".

I do respect the decision, though, to give the project all the time it needs. Take the time, get it right.

Last edited:

Dural

You have to understand I went from FH3 (loved) to FH2/F&F (enjoyable not to the heights of FH3) to FH (favorite) to FH4 (good but the low point in the series, call it a mix of fatigue and I hated how live service-y it felt).

FH4 hasn’t done for me what the others have, it just feels too similar to FH3. Really wish they would’ve gone with a different location. The game is solid, but yeah, I think there’s a little fatigue with how big the games are too.

As for Motorsport, I was shocked that it wouldn’t be a launch title. Racing is my favorite genre and I always love playing the new racing game at the system launch; PGR, PGR3, and FM5. Just isn’t going to be the same without one. ☹️

Top Bottom