• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Next Need for Speed Game Might Be Coming Out Soon

tusharngf

Several content creators recently confirmed that they were flown in to Criterion Games' studio to provide feedback on the game.​

next-need-for-speed-game-coming-out-soon-2-800x450.jpg

The roar of engines and the smell of burning rubber might echo louder than ever soon, as rumors surrounding a new Need for Speed game from Criterion Games gain momentum.

The speculation is gaining traction after numerous content creators were flown to Criterion Games' headquarters in Guildford, United Kingdom to provide feedback.

The studio's decision to gather feedback from a broad spectrum of content creators, live and in person, hints at the advanced stage of development for the upcoming title, sparking theories about an imminent announcement.
It isn't unusual for developers to invite prominent figures, specifically content creators, for a chance to hear their thoughts and provide feedback on their latest in-development projects. In Need for Speed's case, this has been going on since, at least, 2015. But what separates this from the usual MO is that the content creators physically has to be at the Guildford studio. This implies a massive investment in Criterion's part, which likely rules out a potential minor update for the latest game in the series, Need for Speed Unbound.

Further adding intrigue is the diverse group of content creators invited to provide feedback, which includes personalities like Trigger, blackpanthaa, kuru, and mundo motorsport. Their participation signals an intent to gather comprehensive information. However, the nature of the feedback needed, whether on game concepts, mechanics, or an early prototype, remains shrouded in mystery.

Interestingly, actress Simone Bailly, once part of 2005's Need for Speed: Most Wanted, let it slip last year that a remake of the beloved title was coming out sometime later this year.

While Criterion's involvement in another Need for Speed project seems natural, the scale as well as nature of this gathering suggests something massive. Given the studio's history with the franchise and the resources invested, expectations run high for a substantial and potentially transformative experience.

Need for Speed hasn't had a game-changing entry for a long time and many believe the main culprit is the relatively short development times and overall lack of resources. With Criterion providing DICE with support on whatever Battlefield game is in development, this has forced the studio to balance work on multiple projects simultaneously while facing deadlines. Thus, it might be to Criterion's benefit to take their time.

The Need for Speed franchise could easily find itself revitalized by the release of a new, more polished experience that could better compete with the likes of Gran Turismo 7, Forza Motorsport, and Forza Horizon 5.

Nevertheless, with official confirmation still pending, the gathering in Guildford symbolizes a promising development for the Need for Speed franchise.

Whether it results in a revolutionary new title or a nostalgic remake, the commitment to the community's engagement and feedback-driven refinement offers a positive outlook.

Hopefully, this approach will culminate in a racing experience that reignites the franchise and sets a new benchmark for Need for Speed excellence.

Source: https://www.xfire.com/next-need-for-speed-game-coming-out-soon/

Also Militia gaming youtuber confirmed about this in the video

Do we really need another Need For Speed game at this point?

I wish they'd give that franchise a rest and release a new Burnout game instead.

Or even better, a sequel to Split/Second.

I for one am Excite! Last one was my GOTY. So sad that so many people created narratives(Anti ASAP Rocky) etc to make it pass as a bad game. So glad I played near completion and fell in love with the Countach LP-400; she still makes my days long after I have left the game. Coming from a lover who's last proper NFS was the Hot Pursuit remake.

Last edited:

Bond007

Cant speak for this potential game.

But talk about dropping the ball year after year on a franchise most racing fans love or loved at some point. Recent releases havent been horrible/ i prefer less open world(none) lol
Want money and a happy fanbase? lets do the opposite everytime.

I'm a Hot Pursuit guy. (2020)

Last edited:

Fake

Let me guess, another 'for modern audience' Need for Speed?

Keep trying. The last one was so great /s. I'm good with the Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered. In fact, this game is selling good on Nintendo Switch if the charts are correctly.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Still to this day Criterion's original take on the game in 2011 hasn't been surpassed by subsequent series ie 2011-2024

//DEVIL//

The last need for speed game was awesome. I actually loved it and finished it. Even the geaphics was stunning at max on PC.

I am in let's go. We need more arcade racing gsmes .

Hope this and burnout are in development

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I remember I rented every NFS game from 2002 to present day during the lockdown because I hadn't played them in ages

like 3 of them were somewhat decent and only one or two of them were actually good

how about no

Bry0

Kuru got invited?
Most wanted remake it is. (Kinda being sarcastic)

I’m genuinely curious to see what it will be, if it IS a MW2005 remake (and there has been a weirdly large amount of smoke around this) that would be cool. But I’m not sure what that would really look like in 2024 unless this thing is purely marketed to us zillenials.

I thought heat and unbound were OK, but I really feel like there is potential left on the table for a great “illegal street racing cop chase game” considering no franchise outside of NFS is really still filling this niche. And I really love this niche.

Last edited:
Do we really need another Need For Speed game at this point?

I wish they'd give that franchise a rest and release a new Burnout game instead.
This is why I’m hoping Criterion is allowed enough creative freedom to put their own spin on the franchise. I’d rather this upcoming game feel like ‘Need For Speed In Name Only’.

Top Bottom