• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why isn't Red Dead Redemption on PC?

People who have X1 will play it on X1.

I think that right question is Why isn't RDR Remastered announced yet? Rockstar has time, money and manpower to pull it and it would earn them tons of money. Just look how people were excited when RDR became backwards compatible on X1.

They are figuring out how to put a multiplayer component with an obtrusive micro transaction system into it...

Instantaneous edit: That seemd like a bit of a drive by post, but after all the cash they brought in with GTA:O, I highly doubt we will see a R* game without some type of GTA:O-esque system again

Simo

OP, here's your answer from somebody with a bit more of inside knowledge:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=198598570&postcount=272
Because it's a miracle it even works on consoles, it was slapped together and rushed around until things just made sense, unlike other Rockstar titles from that generation it uses a subset build of the engine, to clear it up, here's how RAGE is broken is broken down...

RAGE ERB1
- Rockstar Presents Table Tennis

RAGE ERB2
- Grand Theft Auto IV
- Midnight Club LA
- Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City

RAGE ERB3
- Max Payne 3
- Grand Theft Auto V/Online

RAGE is developed by Rockstar San Diego, the studio that handles the Midnight Club and Red Dead series, for Red Dead Redemption though it uses neither ERB2 or ERB3, it's like a highly customised split off version of ERB2 mixed with some RB3 features (think of it like a 2.5), The code for that was a complete mess and changes were made daily without being documented during development, and as such no PC version of the code was ever made as they strictly focused on getting the Xbox 360 (which was the main focus of RAGE during ERB1 and ERB2) and PlayStation 3 version of the game stable.

After Red Dead Redemption, Rockstar used the year in which L.A.Noire was being pushed (which doesn't use RAGE) to heavily rework RAGE for a new build which took advantage of both PC and PlayStation 3 features, as well as pushing the Xbox 360 to it's limits, this resulted in ERB3 which debuted with Max Payne 3, which of course had a brilliant PC version compared to the previous PC release which at the time was Grand Theft Auto IV/Episodes from Liberty City.

The ONLY way Rockstar could do a remaster of Red Dead Redemption is if they took the game itself and transfered it over to ERB3 and THEN ported it to PC (which in turn would allow PS4 and XBO versions too), but to salvage that mess of a code and actually put that amount of work into it would cost a lot of man hours.

It's not because "they just hate PC gamers", etc, or anything silly like that, it really is because the game itself is a coded mess and it's a surprise it got stable on 360/PS3, if you look at the assets yourself you can even see things like audio and textures thrown in last minute not packed in the archives properly, etc, as an example of how things were being thrown around right up til gold with the game.

Red Dead being mentioned twice on the front page...cut that shit out! I am not getting hyped for Playstation Meeting goddammit!
giphy.gif

Rizific

The last COD just reached over 1 million after 8 months, maybe Activision isn't happy with the numbers?

destiny isnt cod. cod as a franchise is dead on pc. pc gamers know that it turned into absolute shit a LONG TIME AGO. if activision isnt happy with the numbers, then they should make a good pc game. i think destiny would do well on pc if bungie ported it properly. i know id buy it day one. couldnt stand playing it on ps4.

novabolt

People who have X1 will play it on X1.

I think that right question is Why isn't RDR Remastered announced yet? Rockstar has time, money and manpower to pull it and it would earn them tons of money. Just look how people were excited when RDR became backwards compatible on X1.

Who knows?

I remember reading an article involving the TTwo CEO, he said that his companies will not milk their franchises. Maybe a RED DEAD remaster is on the tables and Rockstar is just waiting for the perfect chance. I don't know why though, their games get people hyped up even if its just an old port.

The resources that would have to be put toward rebuilding Red Dead Redemption pretty much from the ground up on the most recent version of RAGE are better allocated towards RDR3.

dex3108

The resources that would have to be put toward rebuilding Red Dead Redemption are better allocated towards RDR3.

As I said before Rockstar has enough money,time and people to do both. Rockstar has near 1000 employees and they don't need to worry about money for a long time. No matter how bad code is they can port it to new engine version if they want.

Don't they have some deals going with Sony? I can tell you if I were Sony I'd try to restrict my partners from publishing on the PC platform. Not sure if that's what happened, but it's what I'd do.

When it comes to third parties, Sony generally let's those games come to PC (No Man's Sky, Street Fighter V being the most recent big examples, and there's more than a few indie examples as well).

As far as Destiny's concerned, I'd argue they're better off putting that effort into getting Destiny 2 on PC, assuming that it comes out next year like most expect it to.

dex3108

maybe in Sony's September conference they will announce Read Dead HD for PS4/PC

then Read Dead 2 as a timed exclusive for PS4

Rockstar will never do timed exclusive for main game. There is no company that can pay them enough to do that. Developers/Publishers do timed exclusives when they need money.

Hip Hop

That along with Midnight Club Los Angeles, one of the best racing games of last gen. I just smh everytime I think about MC not on PC.

In beautiful HD. The mods would have been insane and the gameplay looks like it hasn't aged badly. I bet you a ton of people would still be playing it today.

SirNinja

I'm still hoping it'll get announced along with Red Dead 3, either as an extra to said game or simply to help tide people over. Yes, I know the PS360 version code was an utter mess, but if they can get a PC version working, they can also get a PS4 and XB1 version out of it too; surely that's worth the cost?

There's also the fact that outside of one game, in the entirety of Rockstar SD/Angel Studios' history they made one PC game.

As I said before Rockstar has enough money,time and people to do both. Rockstar has near 1000 employees and they don't need to worry about money for a long time. No matter how bad code is they can port it to new engine version if they want.

And again, the game would probably have to be built entirely from the ground up, there would be no porting that mess especially with the supposed lack of documentation. They could do it if they deem it worth it but Rockstar doesn't seem to particularly care for doing such things, especially if it would require a AAA level budget that could just be put towards just making a new game. GTA V isn't an argument against that since GTA V was always intended to have a PC version. Redemption sold well over 10 million copies, I think they're satisfied with that, if anyone really wanted to play it at this point they've had more than ample opportunity.

The code was messy I've heard. Also, Rockstar don't seem too keen on PC gaming. GTA V was released over a year and a half later on PC.
GTA V took that long because Rockstar actually put the work in to ensure it wasn't a shit port though granted they did prioritize the PS4/XBO version.
Holy shit what the fuck is the Benz
Leslie Benzies.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Holy shit what the fuck is the Benz

A famous dev known for getting Rockstar out of sticky technical messes.

Anyway, its because RDR's code is a mess and rockstar don't have any motivation to port it over now and go back into that tangle of weeds compared to making new games.

The "bad code" excuse doesn't work for me.

Hell, Sony is had people re-write the Uncharted series code for the remasters. No more PS3 cell processor.

They should just farm the job out to a well-respected porting house. Or, do a full remake on an updated engine.

I have no doubt it will eventually come to PC.

Wasn't there a leak of some code from a long while back that gave some evidence for a PC port?

dex3108

And again, the game would probably have to be built entirely from the ground up, there would be no porting that mess especially with the supposed lack of documentation. They could do it if they deem it worth it but Rockstar doesn't seem to particularly care for doing such things, especially if it would require a AAA level budget that could just be put towards just making a new game. GTA V isn't an argument against that since GTA V was always intended to have a PC version.

Rockstar and Take2 are in this business for the money and i really believe that RDR Remaster would be profitable day 1. RDR Remaster would give them more time and space for GTA VI and Red Dead Next while they earn even more money than from GTA Online. And there is no code that can't be fixed if there is will to do it. And no they wouldn't require AAA budget to fix it, small team of programmers could do it because assets are already there probably in higher resolution on some server.

But again it is up to Rockstar to do whatever they want to do. Even Take2 can't make them do things even though they own them. And Rockstar is not known developer for listening their community. If they listen GTA V SP DLC would be out long time ago.

Inuhanyou

The "bad code" excuse doesn't work for me.

Hell, Sony is had people re-write the Uncharted series code for the remasters. No more PS3 cell processor.

They should just farm the job out to a well-respected porting house. Or, do a full remake on an updated engine.

I have no doubt it will eventually come to PC.

Wasn't there a leak of some code from a long while back that gave some evidence for a PC port?

No.

Do you know how big RDR is compared to Uncharted? How long RDR was being worked on, how many hands were in the pie and how much legacy source code is in there? UC's game engine wasn't even in any particularly bad state.

If your going to say that people are lying about it, atleast come up with a better reason than 'i don't buy it cause uncharted'

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
Yes, the code was a complete mess, but for a little more context, one of the guys from Rockstar told me that they did a feasibility study at the time for a PC port and the results of the report said that it would take a whole team of coders at least 8 months to get it into a working state for PC. They decided that while it would sell well, it wasn't worth the time and effort at the moment for millions in profit when focusing on GTA would net them billions.

Rockstar and Take2 are in this business for the money and i really believe that RDR Remaster would be profitable day 1. RDR Remaster would give them more time and space for GTA VI and Red Dead Next while they earn even more money than from GTA Online. And there is no code that can't be fixed if there is will to do it. And no they wouldn't require AAA budget to fix it, small team of programmers could do it because assets are already there probably in higher resolution on some server.

But again it is up to Rockstar to do whatever they want to do. Even Take2 can't make them do things even though they own them. And Rockstar is not known developer for listening their community. If they listen GTA V SP DLC would be out long time ago.

Don't get me wrong, I would definitely double dip to play Redemption again with a solid frame rate and in HD, when it got a price cut. I just don't see Rockstar doing it, even if it may be leaving money on the table. The next Red Dead game is almost certainly coming next year though.

No.

Do you know how big RDR is compared to Uncharted? How long RDR was being worked on, how many hands were in the pie and how much legacy source code is in there? UC's game engine wasn't even in any particularly bad state.

If your going to say that people are lying about it, atleast come up with a better reason than 'i don't buy it cause uncharted'

It can be done. The money is there. The audience demand is there.

Saying "it won't get done cause the code is a mess" doesn't work for me. So, re-write the code, or port the game to the GTAV engine. It's not impossible. Don't act like it is.

dex3108

Don't get me wrong, I would definitely double dip to play Redemption again with a solid frame rate and in HD, when it got a price cut. I just don't see Rockstar doing it, even if it may be leaving money on the table. The next Red Dead game is almost certainly coming next year though.

I just want that game to get one ultimate version on PC/PS4/X1 and be preserved. Microsoft did good thing with X1 backwards compatibility but RDR in my opinion deserves more. :D

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
The only way you'll get RDR on PC is if you play it on Xbox One and stream to PC or if Sony adds it to PS Now and you stream to your PC. It will never be released on PS4/XB1/PC. I'm sure they'd have done it by now if they were going to.

As for Red Dead 3, I feel confident that they will be making it for PC and not just PS4/XB1. Might have to wait a while after it releases for consoles just like GTA V.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Saying "it won't get done cause the code is a mess" doesn't work for me. So, re-write the code, or port the game to the GTAV engine. It's not impossible. Don't act like it is.

Doesn't matter if it "works for you" or not. It matters if it works for Rockstar, and clearly they decided paying a team for 8 months to port a 6 year old game to a new platform that probably won't result in particularly huge sales (because it won't, no matter what superfans of RDR think...this will not sell like GTA5 did/does) is simply not worth their time. They might make a couple million off it but their current and new products make them hundreds of times that much, and sometimes more.

It's too much work for not enough benefit. The Xbox One BC is likely to be the only bone we get thrown. No reason to even do that if they're planning to release a remaster.

Inuhanyou

Your opinion isn't the only one that matters you know? For Rockstar, its not worth it. just because you don't accept the reasoning doesn't make it any less valid

Probably because of pirating.

When games like Dark Souls 3, Witcher 3, and Doom are selling on PC as much as on each individual console, this argument makes zero sense. And seeing that GTA V has sold over 5 million copies on PC after having come out much later than PS3/Xbox 360/PS4/Xbox One, I don't think piracy is as big of a factor as people make it seem.

Dark_castle

Why isn't Vanquish on PC?

Why isn't Lost Odyssey on PC?

Why isn't Fable 2 on PC?

Why isn't Persona 3 and 4 on PC?

Why isn't Skies of Arcadia on PC?

Why isn't Dragon's Crown on PC?

If we start questioning these things, we'll be here all day.

dex3108

Why isn't Vanquish on PC?

Why isn't Lost Odyssey on PC?

Why isn't Fable 2 on PC?

Why isn't Persona 3 and 4 on PC?

Why isn't Skies of Arcadia on PC?

Why isn't Dragon's Crown on PC?

If we start questioning these things, we'll be here all day.

To be honest answer for majority of those is simple. Devs/Publishers are from Japan :D

Genio88

Cause it came out when PC gaming wasn't still that supported and worth investing and console exclusives were still popular with PC only getting a few bad ports...thankfully things changed and now we get about every multiplatform game on PC either and quality of the PC versions improved a lot too

ChryZ

I have no idea why it's not on PC yet, but it's one of the games that really deserves to live on as a remaster or PC port.

DonMigs85

The GTA IV PC port is really sad and doesn't really even run on anything beyond Windows 7, so I imagine RDR would have turned out similarly. Would love to have proper remasters for both games though.

Chris1

Ashby375 (?) Posted here before explaining the issues. He used to work for rockstar. Can't find the post right now but what it came down to was that rdr is a mix of 3 engines and it's a mess basically.

Top Bottom