• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Isn't There an IMDb Equivalent for Video Game User Ratings?

Shtof

Hey everyone,

Isn't it odd that we have no definitive IMDb-like database solely dedicated to user ratings for video games?
I mean, sure, we have options like Metacritic's user scores, Steam reviews, and OpenCritic.
However, these platforms don't fully serve the same purpose.

Metacritic combines critic reviews well, but its user scores are notoriously unreliable.
People often "review bomb" games for various reasons unrelated to the game's quality—like political stances or developer controversies.

Steam Reviews are great for a quick temperature check but has its own limitations.
It's PC-centric and doesn't capture the console audience.
Plus, the reviews are often focused on technical issues—e.g., "runs well," "crashes"—rather than in-depth analyses of gameplay, story, etc.

OpenCritic is comparable to Metacritic but without a dedicated user-rating system.
It also tends to mirror Metacritic scores, thus not offering any alternative viewpoints.

So, what gives? IMDb works great for movies and TV shows, offering an in-depth database with user-generated content and ratings that seem to reflect a general consensus.
Why isn't there something similar for the gaming community, especially given how large and engaged it is?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Pejo

I use
www.howlongtobeat.com

It's basically all user generated ratings/info/etc. It's subject to review bombing and all that shit like anywhere that doesn't verify ownership/playtime (basically anything outside of Steam), but I find it pretty useful and honest.

I probably shouldn't advertise it though, I don't want "modern gamers" to catch wind of it and ruin it with politics and useless drivel.

Robb

Gold Member
Is IMDB not susceptible to whiners review bombing things?
It definitely is, I remember seeing headlines of IMBd looking over its entire rating system just because that live-action Little Mermaid movie was getting review bombed.

Mr.Phoenix

I actually considered making a site like this a while back. Even had a format and all that. Would rea reviews into 5 sections every review was to write about and score on a 5-point scale, and a reviewer's eligibility would be checked using their submitted PSN/Xbl account so we could actually verify that they played through the game and completed it.

I just use IMDB to look up info about the production or voice actors/trivia for games already. Pointless in my opinion to look for verified reviews when everyone and their momma has a video review up within moments of a games release anyways.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Sounds like an opportunity to start a company. If you can figure out how to make it so that only people who have actually played games can review them you probably have a very valuable data asset. Otherwise it will be just another breeding ground for console war stupidity.

intbal

Gamefaqs used to have a small number of user reviews for each game. Maybe 30-50 reviews per game. They were honest reviews and many were reasonably thorough. Then people stopped visiting Gamefaqs for some reason.
Mobygames has the biggest games database, but I'm not sure how their "Moby score" works.

It should be more like letter boxed. Individual reviews rather than all reviews culminating into a singular ranking like IMDB.

That would eliminate people review bombing.

Top Bottom