• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Nintendo's Wii U Might Be The Best Console To Unwrap Christmas Morning [BLOGGER]

mdubs

Banned
Let's be real here, jumping into any Forbes thread to get the first "contributor" post is getting pretty old. It doesn't discredit whatever merit an article might have, and is generally kind of rude.

I agree, plus there seems to be an awesome double-standard people have against Forbes compared to certain Kotaku contributers

I question this. The update will take more than a few minutes to download and install.

I still have nightmares about the launch day update and the four hours it took to download and install.

But to be fair -- and I could be wrong here -- I don't think you HAVE to download the update if you just want to get up and running playing the game offline. Again, I might have this wrong, but as miserable as the launch day update was -- and I opted to just wait because we had other stuff to do that day as I seem to recall that we were starting to put up Christmas decorations -- I think it could have just downloaded in the background and I could have opted to just jump right into New Super Mario Bros.

Forkball

Broken-ass games released this holiday season:

PS4: AC Unity, Driveclub (at one point)
Xbone: AC Unity, MCC
Wii U: Sonic Boom

Sonic's always holding Nintendo back.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
I have a problem with this quote. My Wii U took like an hour to setup when you include the console and software updates it takes to actually get going.

I agree with the article, though. If you have kids that like to play games, and you want to have some common gaming ground, Wii U is the solution.

I think this depends on how old the actual unit is. I understand early units needed a 4h software update, but my more recent one was ready to go with MK8 in roughly 15 minutes. And I even have shitty internet so any updates downloaded quite slowly.

But to be fair -- and I could be wrong here -- I don't think you HAVE to download the update if you just want to get up and running playing the game offline. Again, I might have this wrong, but as miserable as the launch day update was -- and I opted to just wait because we had other stuff to do that day as I seem to recall that we were starting to put up Christmas decorations -- I think it could have just downloaded in the background and I could have opted to just jump right into New Super Mario Bros.

Not sure if it was that way around launch but that is the way patching works on Wii U now.

I don't agree with his couch co-op rant regarding the X1/PS4. Couch Co-op for me (and many others) always meant sport games and fighting games. And both of those completely skipped the Wii U this gen.

I have a PS4 and a friend has both a PS4 and a Wii U, we usually gather in his place and when we play games we usually do it on the PS4 be either UFC, Diablo 3, FIFA 15 or PES 15, NBA 2K15 or even Call of Duty. And with SFIV Ultra coming to PS4 and SFV in the future I think that PS4 as a co-op machine is just fine, I think we played Smash once but to be honest almost all of my friends (myself included) thought that it was a little too childish.

I think that both machines are fine each one having an specific market covered when it comes to games to play co-op and that works for certain kinds of people, is just that seems unfair to argue that Wii U is advocating for couch co-op when other games or even entire genres are doing the same for PS4 and X1 though for a different kinda of market and kind of games that the ones available on Wii U.

Regginmad

Banned
But to be fair -- and I could be wrong here -- I don't think you HAVE to download the update if you just want to get up and running playing the game offline.

This is true for the Wii U, but its also just as true for other consoles like the PS3, 4 and Vita as well as the 3DS (Why is no one suggesting this?) I'm pretty sure only the Xbox 1 ever required an update to function

Oh, thought this was suggesting you open it the morning before, otherwise you won't be able to play for quite sometime due to the mandatory downloads.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Nintendo: You can play with up to eight players with a single copy of the game, a single console, and no online subscription.

Sony & Microsoft: If you want to play with up to eight players, each player needs a copy of the game, a console, and an online subscription.

Guess which future people have decided to buy?

The one that lets them play all the hot new games?

ironcreed

Banned
I question this. The update will take more than a few minutes to download and install.

I still have nightmares about the launch day update and the four hours it took to download and install.

It took me about 30 minutes to update the Basic I bought back in May and now for my new Deluxe that I just got a few weeks ago. I only have around a 15 mbps connection as well.

It took me about 30 minutes to update the Basic I bought back in May and now for my new Deluxe that I just got a few weeks ago. I only have around a 15 mbps connection as well.
It depends on the amount of people downloading it. Christmas morning is going to be hell.

On a regular day it takes about 30 minutes, but last year the period around xmas and new year had Nintendo's servers constantly going down and people would have to wait hours for the update to download.

However, the latest updates are always included on new game discs so popping in a Smash disc will update your console, circumventing the download. Though I don't expect many people that buy a Wii U for xmas to know about that, so I hope Nintendo fixed their server problems by now.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
It depends on the amount of people downloading it. Christmas morning is going to be hell.
I wonder if we'll see the same Nintendo Network outages as last Christmas.

I remember having to wait 2-3 days to do a 3DS system tranfer...

EDIT for PROTIP : Don't bother lauching any update dowload, set your WiiU so it downloads it in sleep mode and update when its ok. I never jump on update, I let the console do it automatically even if it means doing the day after.

True, but the background update option wasn't clear at launch. After an initial set up of the game pad and Ninty account, it went to the update screen and said the console needs an update. There was no mention at the time about background downloading, even though it was there.

If I remember correctly, the trick at launch was to dismiss the update and that would force it to download in the background.

I doubt it would be better researched, it's a video game piece afterall and anyway the article makes a point. It didn't say the other systems have no local mp focused games. It's more who's pushing it more out of the big 3.

As already mentioned you cannot talk about local couch co-op without talking about sports games and fighters, the majority of which are skipping the wiiU.

Its a central part of his argument and its based on spotty facts. The fact remains there is plenty of couch co-op options on all 3 consoles.

Peltz

I am having fun with my Wii U. Even though I bought it on launch day (one of the rare times I've ever done such a thing) I never felt like it wasn't worth every penny.

Incredible console. And to be quite honest, I really don't think it's niche from a critical standpoint, even if it is from a sales perspective. Its library has something for most types of gamers.

I wonder if we'll see the same Nintendo Network outages as last Christmas.

I remember having to wait 2-3 days to do a 3DS system tranfer...

That probably depends on how easily/cheaply Nintendo can setup short-term server capacity. They have no real incentive to invest in long-term capacity, so basically they need to feel something for the post-Christmas rush is a positive cost-benefit.

heyf00L

Whatever version my refurb had when I got it last month, I couldn't link my NNID (from 3DS) until after the update.

When you first power on it has a time to create a new system Mii or enter your NNID, but it gave me an error every time. According to Google it does that to everyone until you update.

So to update you have to create a dummy system Mii, finish the update, link your NNID, delete the dummy Mii, and set your NNID Mii to the default.

I'm tech savvy and had to Google this to figure it out. And I'm sure I'm not the only 3DS owner getting a Wii U. But maybe new Wii Us have a newer firmware that can actually link NNID first try.

slit

As already mentioned you cannot talk about local couch co-op without talking about sports games and fighters, the majority of which are skipping the wiiU.

Its a certain part of his argument and its based on spotty facts. The fact remains there is plenty of couch co-op options on all 3 consoles.

The article was pointing who is pushing it more which I agree with to an extent. Sony and MS are more about online functionality, which is not a bad thing but I think the article was pointing out fun with the family. Mom isn't going to want to play the new Tekken and again I don't think co-op couch options not being on other consoles was the point.

Hugstable

Banned
Truly a great little console, especially this year now that the library grew alot. Really love the focus on local multiplayer, allows for alot of great times between me and my brother.

Sapiens

The big problem with the Wii U right now, for me, is that people will always tell you how great it is - and then mention the same eight games over and over.

Those eight games are great, but that is pretty much all you get and there is not a lot of variety there.

And even then, Mario Kart 8 and Mario 3D World, aren't exactly that much better than the 3DS counterparts Ive already played.

I don't think the system is a slam dunk yet (nor might it ever be). And I don't think Nintendo is really learning their lesson in some of the anti-consumer activities they practice (lack of true account systems).

With all that said, this was still a better purchase than the PS4 or XB1 - for now.

The article was pointing who is pushing it more which I agree with to an extent. Sony and MS are more about online functionality, which is not a bad thing but I think the article was pointing out fun with the family. Mom isn't going to want to play the new Tekken and again I don't think co-op couch options not being on other consoles was the point.

Right. I had to laugh at the idea of the family sitting around on Christmas Day and playing Halo MCC together. Just not going to happen.

Jams775

On a regular day it takes about 30 minutes, but last year the period around xmas and new year had Nintendo's servers constantly going down and people would have to wait hours for the update to download.

However, the latest updates are always included on new game discs so popping in a Smash disc will update your console, circumventing the download. Though I don't expect many people that buy a Wii U for xmas to know about that, so I hope Nintendo fixed their server problems by now.

The 3D World bundle I got a couple of months ago had a piece of paper that said to put in 3D World before connecting the console to the internet. I did that and it installed the patch without having to download anything after I connected to the internet. So unless there's been a newer patch since then, it should still workout okay if people read.

The article says:

The Wii U is the only gaming device on the market that directly encourages local multiplayer, and the best games for the system are ones played with friends or family sitting next to you, not playing on their own console across town or across the country.

Latter he does point out specifically to Christmas morning, but at another part of the article he points out

Now that’s worse than ever, and local co-op is all but completely dead other than in a few multiplatform series like Borderlands, but most of the time its either stuck into a specific mode (COD’s Exo) or it simply doesn’t exist at all, even in games that encourage co-op (Dragon Age, Far Cry).

But he keeps forgetting that Fighting games and sport games are essentially local co-op games that got internet connectivity attach to them in last generation, but sport games have been a central part of local co-op since the very beginning of this industry. The same goes for fighting games which were born in arcades. And that both genres are far more than alive with some of games on this genre selling well over the millions. And when they got online connectivity they are still strong co-op options.

I think the writer was mostly focused on "mainstream" AAA titles to make their proclaim of couch co-op dying when it is as rubbish as saying that artistic films are dying because Hollywood is focused in cape movies.

slit

The article says:

Latter he does point out specifically to Christmas morning, but at another part of the article he points out

But he keeps forgetting that Fighting games and sport games are essentially local co-op games that got internet connectivity attach to them in last generation, but sport games have been a central part of local co-op since the very beginning of this industry. The same goes for fighting games which were born in arcades. And that both genres are far more than alive with some of games on this genre selling well over the millions. And when they got online connectivity they are still strong co-op options.

I think the writer was mostly focused on "mainstream" AAA titles to make their proclaim of couch co-op dying when it is as rubbish as saying that artistic films are dying because Hollywood is focused in cape movies.

Again, I think people are forgetting the family/personal aspect and focusing on "well it's a lie to say local mp doesn't exists outside of Nintendo." Yes, of course sports and fighting games have local multiplayer and yes most are not on WiiU. Also, I would disagree on sports games being focused on local MP nowadays. The online MP is what seems to be at the forefront.

It's the only one worthy of being a Christmas morning console, just because of all the time spent downloading god knows how many GBs of updates and games for the PS4/X1.

stuminus3

I had a pretty great Christmas day with my Wii U in 2012 and 2013, too. You're LTTP, Forbes!

Can't wait to dig in to Captain Toad with my kids this year.

Memory

I don't agree with his couch co-op rant regarding the X1/PS4. Couch Co-op for me (and many others) always meant sport games and fighting games. And both of those completely skipped the Wii U this gen.

I have a PS4 and a friend has both a PS4 and a Wii U, we usually gather in his place and when we play games we usually do it on the PS4 be either UFC, Diablo 3, FIFA 15 or PES 15, NBA 2K15 or even Call of Duty. And with SFIV Ultra coming to PS4 and SFV in the future I think that PS4 as a co-op machine is just fine, I think we played Smash once but to be honest almost all of my friends (myself included) thought that it was a little too childish.

I think that both machines are fine each one having an specific market covered when it comes to games to play co-op and that works for certain kinds of people, is just that seems unfair to argue that Wii U is advocating for couch co-op when other games or even entire genres are doing the same for PS4 and X1 though for a different kinda of market and kind of games that the ones available on Wii U.

I agree with your post in regards to the different types of local games and their audiences as your right sports fans will find nothing for them on Wii U. i do think PS4 needs more couch co-op games in general as My PS4 local mp rotation is quite limited atm but then again i dislike most sports games. So many great games on the horizon though so im not worried.

I totally disagree with the Smash thing though, there is nothing childish about it and i question anyone who would make that assesment of a game after giving it a real go.

My friends are forced (Yep) to try all my co-op games before they can make judgement calls on what we play in future gaming sessions at mine. Towerfall and Splunkey MP for example were shot down when i first booted them up and ran threw them the first time. However once everyone got to grips with them both games were loved by my friends. On the other hand Hyrule warriors looks so bad in MP it never gets played in co-op lol.

I do feel sorry for your friend who likley loves Smash but his friends wont give it a real chance because they think it looks childish though, I hope he finds his fun with it online as its an amazing game.

The Boat

This is true for the Wii U, but its also just as true for other consoles like the PS3, 4 and Vita as well as the 3DS (Why is no one suggesting this?) I'm pretty sure only the Xbox 1 ever required an update to function
At least for PS3, updates are mandatory and you can't download them while you play. Any time an update comes out, you have to wait for the download and installation to be done, unless you pay for PS+ which is the only way the console does downloads on standby (well it turns itself on, but whatever).

Again, I think people are forgetting the family/personal aspect and focusing on "well it's a lie to say local mp doesn't exists outside of Nintendo." Yes, of course sports and fighting games have local multiplayer and yes most are not on WiiU. Also, I would disagree on sports games being focused on local MP nowadays. The online MP is what seems to be at the forefront.

And again I think the writer just completely overlooked and forgot about two entire genres only because it served his point. I am not saying that Wii U doesn't have a more friendly focus to local MP, what I am saying is that NINTENDO as a publisher has a more friendly focus towards Local MP (and more hostile towards online gaming), something that is opposed to almost every other major publisher out there (Sony, MS, EA, Activision, Ubisoft, etc etc). But according to this writer local MP on PS4 and X1 is dead when it is in not better or worse condition that when it was on PS3/Xbox 360 or dare I even say PS2/OGXbox/Gamecube era.

Sure he points out Christmas morning once on his article but his conclusion to reach the point where Wii U is the better console for that time comes from a shady point of both PS4/X1 not having a strong local mp options, when it is not the case. Not even close when two of the most local MP focused genres have strong offerings on both consoles.

To be clear Local MP on Wii U is more family friendly, mostly because their games are more family friendly, which makes it the prefect console for a family time while playing games, but that doesn't come from PS4/X1 being hostile towards local MP but from the lack of family friend titles on both consoles (though arguably PS4/Xbone also have Lego games and PS4 LBP3).

And to end, sport games have strong online parts now mostly to extend their lives and value, just like regular SP games the industry has been making for years. But that doesn't take the co-op value out of FIFA 15 it just means you have other reasons to play FIFA 15 (or mostly any other EA sport titles, since The Show has terrible online and PES hasn't still find and answer to UT) and not only when you have your friends at your place to hang out.

samn

Avoid a big launch day update by skipping the wifi setup process and putting in your most recent game (Smash Bros is best). That'll do most of the updating from the disc.

slit

And again I think the writer just completely overlooked and forgot about two entire genres only because it served his point. I am not saying that Wii U doesn't have a more friendly focus to local MP, what I am saying is that NINTENDO as a publisher has a more friendly focus towards Local MP (and more hostile towards online gaming), something that is opposed to almost every other major publisher out there (Sony, MS, EA, Activision, Ubisoft, etc etc). But according to this writer local MP on PS4 and X1 is dead when it is in not better or worse condition that when it was on PS3/Xbox 360 or dare I even say PS2/OGXbox/Gamecube era.

Sure he points out Christmas morning once on his article but his conclusion to reach the point where Wii U is the better console for that time comes from a shady point of both PS4/X1 not having a strong local mp options, when it is not the case. Not even close when two of the most local MP focused genres have strong offerings on both consoles.

To be clear Local MP on Wii U is more family friendly, mostly because their games are more family friendly, which makes it the prefect console for a family time while playing games, but that doesn't come from PS4/X1 being hostile towards local MP but from the lack of family friend titles on both consoles (though arguably PS4/Xbone also have Lego games and PS4 LBP3).
And to end, sport games have strong online parts now mostly to extend their lives and value, just like regular SP games the industry has been making for years. But that doesn't take the co-op value out of FIFA 15 it just means you have other reasons to play FIFA 15 (or mostly any other EA sport titles, since The Show has terrible online and PES hasn't still find and answer to UT) and not only when you have your friends at your place to hang out.

Well, we'll just have to agree to diasgree because I don't think that was point at all.

Avoid a big launch day update by skipping the wifi setup process and putting in your most recent game (Smash Bros is best). That'll do most of the updating from the disc.

Thanks for the tip. I will be one of those christmas morning Wii Uers.

LOL at people saying comeback.....where? Also third party games I enjoy, as I do indies...why does the press all of a sudden forget they exist? The wii-u lacks publisher support.

Top Bottom