• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why portable gaming is an abomination

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
efralope said:
I skimmed the first post and a in disbelief and in utter disappointment with fellow GAFFERS that this "rant" would reach 4 pages... (unless there's some running joke I missed by not going to pg. 2 & 3)...

I'll pass...
As far as I can tell they pwned him in three or four posts then started rambling on about other shit like a GC remake of SMW with SSB:M graphics.

typical GA :)

scola said:
As far as I can tell they pwned him in three or four posts then started rambling on about other shit like a GC remake of SMW with SSB:M graphics.

typical GA :)

Basically. Most of us still posting don't care about the original post as we all think it's total nonsense. :p

Solidsnakex, I'll respond sooner or later, I'm tired and don't really know what to say. That was a decent point about SRW. Though I would like to look at it with other franchises as well. Especially Pokemon, what a wonderful trump card. Also what about Kirby and SMB Famicom-mini? The other SMAs? Rockman EXE series? We can't just base it on the SRW series.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I just read the entire thread (as opposed to just posting relevant items within surrounding posts) and I must say that I agree...

...that the poster is missing out on some of the best gaming experiences known to man in the GBA. Technology doesn't drive the video game market, gameplay does. That's why the vast majority of the highest selling games have innovative gameplay, or have perfected certain tried and true elements of gameplay. You don't need high definition displays or super realistic surround sound to do that. You need a 'hook' and a dev team capable of doing your vision justice. You are a blind idot, and that is truely, truely sad.

Neutron Night said:
As for GBA being the only place for 2D games, you can't credit GBA for that. Just because mainstream idiots would refuse to buy a spectacular 2D game on a console isn't the console's fault. That's a problem with the industry in general, and a completely seperate issue. Maybe I'll tackle that one some other time.
You're not going to tackle this completely seperate issue, because you've been apparently inadvertently stumbling over the issue like a drunken fucking whore this entire thread.

Aside from your incredibly transparent distaste for Nintendo the company- and not just Nintendo the handheld maker- you've complained, citing the GBA's 'uselessness', as evidenced here;

The truly sad thing is that there are good games on the GBA - games that could have been GREAT if they were released on an actual system that was concerned with giving you the best possible experience instead of the longest battery life. Imagine the Castlevania games on the PS2 or even the PS for that matter. Imagine how much more could be accomplished with awesome atmospheric graphics and intense sound. Instead me get...the best that can be done on the GBA. Imagine if FFT2 were released on the PS2 like people actually wanted, with a generation of advancement in technology and actual improved gameplay, instead of a retread with all the graphics and sound gone with the wind. And we wouldn't get a cutsefied Nintendo filtration like the designers clearly went with in order to appease the GBA's younger crowd.
"Imagine if Castlevania were released on the PS2 with 5.1 surround and full analog sensitivity and an amazing cache of textures and" blahbety fucking blah.

Who cares? Do you see it happening? Do you? No. It's not. It may be the industry's fault, it may be the mainstream userbase's fault, it may be your fault, God may be punishing you. The point is, that doesn't fucking matter, it's completely irrelevant to your arguement.

"The Game Boy Advance is useless. Sure, it has a truckload of fun, exclusive, unique games that you just don't see on consoles, but if developers were to make them for the consoles, they'd be even better and the Game Boy Advance would be useless! So as you can see, the Game Boy Advance is useless."

Do you see the gaping hole in your opinion here? If the industry was different, and these games were made for the PS2 and whatever other console, then the Game Boy Advance would be useless. If the human race evolved, and we sprouted wings, then we wouldn't need airplanes, so obviously, right now, we should just destroy all the airplanes we own in the world. Helicopters too!

It doesn't matter who's at fault, or what the underlying "issue" is as to why developers and publishers don't put the average GBA on consoles. The fact is they don't. And thus, without the GBA, these games do not happen. Thus, no matter how much you want it to be, the GBA is not useless, and subsequently serves an important use, despite it's unbearably dated hardware, SHUDDER

I really hope you can comprehend all that. It's really not difficult.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Mike Works said:
It doesn't matter who's at fault, or what the underlying "issue" is as to why developers and publishers don't put the average GBA on consoles. The fact is they don't. And thus, without the GBA, these games do not happen. Thus, no matter how much you want it to be, the GBA is not useless, and subsequently serves an important use, despite it's unbearably dated hardware, SHUDDER
The "unbearably dated hardware" is not the primary issue.
It's the proprietary format. As far as I'm concerned the PSP and any proprietary handheld more powerful than it (in the future) is just as worthless as the GBA.

Getting back to the 3D Super Mario Whatever topic, I gave my points pretty clearly and I'm not going to go over them again. For anyone who's on the fence, I will simply point out that some of the appeal of my position comes from the fact that Nintendo agrees with me.

If Nintendo wanted to make a 2D Mario with 3D graphics*, they'd be better off making it a wholly new adventure with new powers and new levels.**

*which they are
**which they are

dog$

Hates quality gaming
JasoNsider = providing new insights to an old debate, even if you already read the same thing 50 times on the first two pages.

In my own defense, I didn't even realize that this had somehow exploded into a larger debate. I just assumed the first post was ridiculous enough that everyone would have laughed it off. My apologies....

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Actually, despite the thread author's unfocussed and Nintendo-specific rhetoric, there was a few valid points brought to light initially.

I know it's hard to read through 200 subsequent posts of people quoting Newbie's post with IAWTP and people quoting the IAWTPs with their own IAWTP, but I'm trying to keep all of my anti-handheld rhetoric to this thread so that I don't have to post it everywhere else.

Again, this debate wouldn't exist if things were like they were before the original GameBoy and everyone understood that handhelds are inferior to consoles. Or if handhelds were just like the [Turbo Express] and the games weren't proprietary, at least.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The "unbearably dated hardware" is not the primary issue.
It's the proprietary format. As far as I'm concerned the PSP and any proprietary handheld more powerful than it (in the future) is just as worthless as the GBA.
What are PS2, GC and Xbox games, if not propriatary formats themselves?

Andy787 said:
Stopped reading right there.
59.gif

Wow! The compelling arguement is its 1/150 the size of a DVD? I'm not a huge fan of the GBA, but it's the only real game in existence if you want original content 2D. That's a pretty frickin' huge point.

Since the bansticks seem to have been shelved, I guess I'll add a second user to the ignore list (today).

So, did it hurt when the EB Games held you down, tied you to a chair, removed your wallet, took the money out of it, used that to buy a GBA, then decided to use your credit card to buy tons of games, then made you, MADE you play those games while the GBA was plugged in a wall outlet so it would never run out. while a car battery was attached to your sensitive areas to shock whenever they damn well pleased?

Oh wait, you say that didn't happen? You mean that you have the choice to not buy a GBA if you don't want to? So maybe you should understand that some folks might choose to pick up one if they want to?

I mean, I could start a thread saying "HOME GAMING IS AN ABOMINATION" because like, who wants to play games while being chained, YES, chained to a wall outlet to provide the power? Wouldn't Grand Theft Auto (like, only the best game ever, dood) be so cool is I could shoot people ANYWHERE at ANYTIME, not just at home?

I wonder how you handle your arguments in real life, while also hoping you're not on the debate team.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Marconelly said:
What are PS2, GC and Xbox games, if not propriatary formats themselves?

They are ones that run on your TV, my TV, and everyone's TV equally as well.
On these formats, developers can also assume that my audio setup may well be advanced, and can develop ways to take advantage of that. At the least they can assume that the audio to be heard will be in a family-room setting of some sort.
They are games of proprietary format which universally work on any entertainment setup with a TV.

Handhelds force videogames on their "TV" and their speaker(s). This is a proprietary format on proprietary hardware.

Like I said in my first post here, my #1 rule of Videogames is My Videogames on My TV. That's the way this all started and if it dies, then I shall die with it. Also, I will not tolerate replacements of "my TV" to the point of paying money for it, no matter what content is offered.

the GBA, ... it's the only real game in existence if you want original content 2D.
So you're saying that Dodonpachi Daiojou is not real. Or Espgaruda. Or Venus & Braves. Or 100+ other XB/PS2/GC games that anyone can rattle off. Not to mention the games which have 2D gameplay but are not sprite based. I continue to fail at understanding this argument, as there are 2D games available and being developed across all platforms and formats. People who do not own a PS2/XB especially and celebrate owning a GBA in lieu of those systems for the purpose of "wanting 2D" are fully self-contradictory.

Since the bansticks seem to have been shelved, I guess I'll add a second user to the ignore list (today).
Yeah, that's something to be proud of.
HEY YOU. YEAH YOU. YOU CANT SEE THIS HAHA.

ravingloon said:
I'm not a huge fan of the GBA, but it's the only real game in existence if you want original content 2D. That's a pretty frickin' huge point.
Not if you live outside of the U.S. In Japan, the PS2 has a TON of 2D games that unfortunately will never see U.S. shores (and potentially the U.K. as well). The GBA is the only real answer for original 2D content in America and that is it. 2D is alive and well in the land of the rising sun.

Tellaerin

dog$ said:
They are ones that run on your TV, my TV, and everyone's TV equally as well.
On these formats, developers can also assume that my audio setup may well be advanced, and can develop ways to take advantage of that. At the least they can assume that the audio to be heard will be in a family-room setting of some sort.
They are games of proprietary format which universally work on any entertainment setup with a TV.

Handhelds force videogames on their "TV" and their speaker(s). This is a proprietary format on proprietary hardware.

Like I said in my first post here, my #1 rule of Videogames is My Videogames on My TV. That's the way this all started and if it dies, then I shall die with it. Also, I will not tolerate replacements of "my TV" to the point of paying money for it, no matter what content is offered.

Well, when you can fit your TV in your pocket, let me know. The whole point of handhelds is to offer people a portable gaming experience. That home theatre setup won't do you a damn bit of good when you're away from home with time on your hands, wishing you could be playing games.

If you never have any reason to play games outside your living room, then handhelds aren't for you. That's hardly a reason for other people not to embrace them. :p

Mr_Furious said:
In Japan, the PS2 has a TON of 2D games that unfortunately will never see U.S. shores (and potentially the U.K. as well).

Hmm. I consider myself a bit of an import freak, have all 3 consoles modded to play imports, and am somehow not seeing this GOLDMINE of sprite-based games in Japan. Sure there's the occasional shoot-em-up or fighting game, maybe a puzzle game or two, but 2D platformers - and I don't think it's a stretch to say that's what most people are playing on their GBAs - are almost non-existent. The "alive and well" bit is a major stretch.

Would you (or dog$) care to tell us all a few of the 100+ games that anyone can easily rattle off? Dog$ managed 3, one of which isn't even out yet. Good going!

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Well to be fair, lists usually don't prove anything and are ignored.
Plus then we have to decide which games to list, if having strict-2D gameplay is what matters or if no polygons are allowed at all (and would that therefore negate the SNK KOF games for example), if collections/reissues/etc are valid (DQ5? Sega Ages?), if games which utilize no dimensionality but still don't use polygons count (Beatmania IIDX, other music games).

Ultimately my point is that any handheld, GBA or otherwise, is far from the last bastion of 2D gaming.

bobbyconover said:
Hmm. I consider myself a bit of an import freak, have all 3 consoles modded to play imports, and am somehow not seeing this GOLDMINE of sprite-based games in Japan. Sure there's the occasional shoot-em-up or fighting game, maybe a puzzle game or two, but 2D platformers - and I don't think it's a stretch to say that's what most people are playing on their GBAs - are almost non-existent. The "alive and well" bit is a major stretch.

Would you (or dog$) care to tell us all a few of the 100+ games that anyone can easily rattle off? Dog$ managed 3, one of which isn't even out yet. Good going!
There are a lot of Strategy/Simulation/RPG/Adventure/Dating sim games that release in Japan, not to mention a decent amount of shooters and fighters. I'll agree that platformers might be taking a hit here but to ignore all of the other games utilizing 2D in order to say 2D is dead is just flat out ignorant.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Wario64 said:
Was he banned in the old GAF, or did he just leave voluntarily? Someone should get him to sign up to NEO-GAF

just stopped posting. His last post was something like, "your mother is a whore."

dog$ said:
Ultimately my point is that any handheld, GBA or otherwise, is far from the last bastion of 2D gaming.

And my point is that right now, the only place to get the kinds of games that are in abundant supply on the GBA, namely 2D platformers, is on the GBA. Like you said, the whole what-is-2D thing is totally debatable and yes, obviously there are tons of "technically" 2D dating sims, music games, and Mahjong games on the Japanese PS2, but that's just splitting hairs. For a consistent stream of games in the same style that we all knew and loved in the 16-bit days, meaning more than just the expected fighting games and shoot-em-ups (both of which I love, for the record), GBA is the last bastion of 2D gaming. Unless cell phones count. If there are others out there, I'd love to hear about them.

There are a lot of Strategy/Simulation/RPG/Adventure/Dating sim games that release in Japan, not to mention a decent amount of shooters and fighters.

Unfortunately, every genre that you listed off other than shooters and fighters are basically unplayable by anyone but the elite 1% who speak Japanese well enough to understand them. And I'm not ignoring them, I'm saying that when people talk about how much the GBA "rocks for 2D," I don't think they're generally referring to its supply of RPGs, dating sims, or fighters. They're talking about nu-SNES type games that would rarely if ever appear on a home console, like platform games, mode 7 racers like Mario Kart and F-Zero, 2D top-down racing games, and many others. Not just ports of popular, current, arcade fighters.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Well if that's your point, I can comfortably conclude that I don't need that consistent stream of handheld games.

Quality over quantity, right? :)

bobbyconover said:
Unfortunately, every genre that you listed off other than shooters and fighters are basically unplayable by anyone but the elite 1% who speak Japanese well enough to understand them. And I'm not ignoring them, I'm saying that when people talk about how much the GBA "rocks for 2D," I don't think they're generally referring to its supply of RPGs, dating sims, or fighters. They're talking about nu-SNES type games that would rarely if ever appear on a home console, like platform games, mode 7 racers like Mario Kart and F-Zero, 2D top-down racing games, and many others. Not just ports of popular, current, arcade fighters.
There's also a growing number of arcade and old school console compilations on all home platforms that could easily fill the gap of majority of the other genres you mentioned (with the possible exception of Mode-7 racers). My point is there are plenty of games to satisfy 2D gamers. I, for one, love 2D games and yet can still see that it's still around in many different shapes and forms. It's just sad that Nintendo feels they can only deliver a 2D Metroid on their GBA. What I wouldn't give to get a totally beautiful hi-res 2D sprite animated Metroid.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
there are plenty of genres where the gba has had my favorite game of that type in this gen, and hence it would be hard for me to consider it useless.

I can not buy an rpg of the type and quality of The lost Age on a current console in the US that I am aware of. If one exists, please tell me.

I can not buy puzzles games of the quality of kuru kuru kurrurin and denki blocks on current us consoles. (that I am aware of)

I can not buy platformers of the quality of Mario vs Dk

the only adventure game I am aware of better than the gba metroid and castlevania games is Metroid Prime.

The only SRPG that might be better than Tactics Ogre: KOL is Disgaea, which I need to play.

and I buy all of this games, which I find to be the best gameplay this gen has to offer, for $30 upon release. Almost half the price.

GBA > all other current gen systems

slayn

"What I wouldn't give to get a totally beautiful hi-res 2D sprite animated Metroid."

There isn't any sane person that doesn't what this. But wishing for high quality 2d games on current consoles is like wishing for a million bucks to fall out of the sky and into your hands.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
The only million seller in Japan for the GBA are the Pokemon games released for it, although there around 8 in the US that are million sellers.
Actually it's almost twice that for US million sellers. Counting worldwide totals there's probably 30+ million sellers on GBA.

Oh and this thread is an "abomination". :/

jarrod

Banned
I'll list US million sellers (no numbers though, I'm not at liberty to give those)...

-DragonBall Z: Legacy of Goku (Atari)
-Frogger's Adventures: Temple of the Frog (Konami)
-Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Nintendo)
-Mario Kart: Super Circuit (Nintendo)
-Namco Museum (Namco)
-Pac-Man Collection (Namco)
-Pokemon Ruby Version (Nintendo)
-Pokemon Sapphire Version (Nintendo)
-Sonic Advance (THQ)
-Super Mario Advance (Nintendo)
-Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3 (Nintendo)
-Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2 (Nintendo)
-Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 (Nintendo)
-Yu-Gi-Oh! Eternal Duelist Soul (Konami)

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Average non-licensed GBA game > Average non-licensed PS2/GBA/Xbox game.

(Okay, that's just a random thought. Now I have to go compare figures and see if it has any basis in reality... however, it does occur to me that, excluding licensed properties, there are fewer _really bad_ GBA games than PS2/Xbox/GC ones.)

Uhhh....no. Until someone can come up with something other "you fucking moron" I am still completely right.

The fact that you disagree with me DOES NOT make me wrong. If anything, it makes YOU wrong. Idiot.

"Imagine if Castlevania were released on the PS2 with 5.1 surround and full analog sensitivity and an amazing cache of textures and" blahbety fucking blah.

Who cares? Do you see it happening? Do you? No. It's not. It may be the industry's fault, it may be the mainstream userbase's fault, it may be your fault, God may be punishing you. The point is, that doesn't fucking matter, it's completely irrelevant to your arguement.

"The Game Boy Advance is useless. Sure, it has a truckload of fun, exclusive, unique games that you just don't see on consoles, but if developers were to make them for the consoles, they'd be even better and the Game Boy Advance would be useless! So as you can see, the Game Boy Advance is useless."

Do you see the gaping hole in your opinion here? If the industry was different, and these games were made for the PS2 and whatever other console, then the Game Boy Advance would be useless. If the human race evolved, and we sprouted wings, then we wouldn't need airplanes, so obviously, right now, we should just destroy all the airplanes we own in the world. Helicopters too!

I really hope you can comprehend all that. It's really not difficult.

So we are in agreement. The gaming industry is fucked. Glad to know that we see eye to eye. The GBA represents the fuckedness of the industry, that only on a portable SNES could we possibly get 2D games. Even though they're worse that 2D games we ALREADY GOT on PS, such as SOTN. Besides, I never said that GBA games are as good as modern console games, they aren't. I said some games were GOOD, not great. There is potential there, if they weren't on the GBA.

If Nintendo wanted to make a 2D Mario with 3D graphics*, they'd be better off making it a wholly new adventure with new powers and new levels.**

Lame. The only reason to play the Mario games in 2004 is because of nostalgia. Which is fine, I like nostalgia. No NEW Mario-style platforming could entrance me anymore. So don't fuck with the nostalgia. They didn't with All-Stars.

This man speaks the truth. What a clown...

Why don't you shut me up here and now by proving how I am a moron. I'm waiting. Damn fool.

So, did it hurt when the EB Games held you down, tied you to a chair, removed your wallet, took the money out of it, used that to buy a GBA, then decided to use your credit card to buy tons of games, then made you, MADE you play those games while the GBA was plugged in a wall outlet so it would never run out. while a car battery was attached to your sensitive areas to shock whenever they damn well pleased?

Sorry, but when I see threads like "Is anyone anticipating the handheld systems more?", I want to weep for humanity. That goes against every reason I play games. I want my games to improve with time. I want games from 2004 to be better than games from 1994. I just....HATE that shit. I can't restrain my rage when I see some guy talking about how some rehased platformer is better than games released now. Like this dude below...

I can not buy an rpg of the type and quality of The lost Age on a current console in the US that I am aware of. If one exists, please tell me.

I can not buy puzzles games of the quality of kuru kuru kurrurin and denki blocks on current us consoles. (that I am aware of)

I can not buy platformers of the quality of Mario vs Dk

the only adventure game I am aware of better than the gba metroid and castlevania games is Metroid Prime.

The only SRPG that might be better than Tactics Ogre: KOL is Disgaea, which I need to play.

and I buy all of this games, which I find to be the best gameplay this gen has to offer, for $30 upon release. Almost half the price.

Wow....just wow. You have simple tastes. As an RPG fan I don't know or care what the hell The Lost Age is. As for TO, try playing the PS version. If that's enough for you, that's your business. My standards are higher.

slayn

"Wow....just wow. You have simple tastes. As an RPG fan I don't know or care what the hell The Lost Age is. As for TO, try playing the PS version. If that's enough for you, that's your business. My standards are higher."

in life, that which is simple, is bliss.

as an rpg fan... you don't care about the best rpg this gen?

Knight of Lodis is better than the psx/snes Tactics Ogre.

its not "enough" for me, its the best there is to offer gameplay wise even including that of gamecube/ps2/xbox

in life, that which is simple, is bliss.

Yes, that's what idiots say. Smart people are capable of appreciating the intricate balance of existence.

as an rpg fan... you don't care about the best rpg this gen?

Of course I do. I just don't give a fuck about The Lost Age. You have yet to say WHAT that game is, and WHY I should care. Explain your position, if you're going to argue with me.

Knight of Lodis is better than the psx/snes Tactics Ogre.

No. You're wrong. Tactics Ogre is the better game. Most people know this. You didn't get the memo. Explain why you think differently.

its not "enough" for me, its the best there is to offer gameplay wise even including that of gamecube/ps2/xbox

There are advantages to having lower standards, it makes it easier for you to be happy for one thing. Great for you. Unfortunately, my higher capacity for thought has made me unable to debase myself to the level of believing GBA games are the best that gaming has to offer.

Reading Neuton's original post and his continuing bickering I get this mental picture of a dog barking at the moon because it doesn't understand it. Buddy, there's nothing to "get", "agree" or "ague" about. Things are as they are. Bitching about facts do not change a thing.

Do you feel superior because your standards are supposedly higher than others? Obviously it doesn't make you happy, you said it yourself. Are you suicidal? knowing that you alone possess the supreme knowledge that everybody around you seems to lack? Do you need a hug?

Man talk about waste of someone's energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom