• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why should I tip 20% at an expensive restaurant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I buy a meal at a nice restaurant for a hundred bucks, why should I tip 20? Does this guy deserve five times more than a waiter at a less expensive restaurant? I make twenty dollars in an hour of solid fucking work.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
lZJViKu.gif

Beaulieu

you shouldnt
you should pay 15%

also, service is usually way better in high ends restaurant, staff are expected to know their shit and give you advice on wine and stuff, so they deserve the higher amount.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Technically, you should be getting better, more tailored service at high-end restaurants. But that's not guaranteed, and you might not want to take advantage of that anyway.

I subscribe to 15% for normal service, regardless of location. If they complain, I can always give 0.

You don't have to tip him anything.

Guilt and shame involved makes people tip. No one wants to be seen as that asshole who doesn't tip. We even have posters on GAF who will scold you for not tipping. People don't want to be scolded so they'll pay the $2 even if they don't really want to.

Brofist

I don't really have a problem with paying a higher tip to a knowledgeable waiter. But having to tip based on item price is a practice I can't really get behind. One shouldn't be penalized for ordering a more expensive item on the menu.

One-Shot

Banned
it's 15 in canada and im pretty sure its still 15 almost everywhere in US except maybe metropolitan areas.

what's the logic behind a tipping percentage increasing anyway?

They do a better job they get a bigger tip....not really difficult to comprehend.

If you feel the waiter deserves a tip, you tip. If you don't, you don't tip. You decide how much as well. I usually just put out a couple ones or a five. I don't go to high end establishments or eat with more then 3 people, so it's never really a concern how to split costs or added gratuities.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Because usually the service is a LOT better?

If you get up from the table they switch your napkins, they brush the table between courses, they're much more attentive, are usually a little bit more refined, and there's better timing for your courses?

?___?

(Also, you tip 5% at normal places?! .....................)

I thought standard was 18% at normal places, 25% at nice places, and 30%+ at really nice places.
50% at least

bro1

Banned
If I buy a meal at a nice restaurant for a hundred bucks, why should I tip 20? Does this guy deserve five times more than a waiter at a less expensive restaurant? I make twenty dollars in an hour of solid fucking work.
If you make $20 hour then you shouldn't be buying a meal that is your entire take home for a day's work and you are being cheap.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
What is with the people in this thread telling the OP what he can or cannot afford. Maybe it's his birthday and he wanted to splurge? Who cares what the reason is?

Jonm1010

Banned
Is there a topic on GAF that gets more threads then tipping?

I swear "tipping" should just become a community topic so everyone who wants to ask questions, complain, argue, play what-ifs etc. can do so at their hearts content.

If it wasn't always the same questions I wouldn't be saying this but its always the same format. Like mad libs or something.

Anyways. What do you want? The economic argument? The moral argument? The philosophical argument? The political argument?

Are you actually interested in hearing it or is this just like most threads where the OP and subsequent posters aren't actually interested in a discussion and just want to say how you don't want to tip?

ZeroX03

Banned

I swear "tipping" should just become a community topic so everyone who wants to ask questions, complain, argue, play what-ifs etc. can do so at their hearts content.

If it wasn't always the same questions I wouldn't be saying this but its always the same format. Like mad libs or something.

Anyways. What do you want? The economic argument? The moral argument? The philosophical argument? The political argument?

Are you actually interested in hearing it or is this just like most thread where you aren't actually interested in a discussion and just want to say how you don't want to tip?

Tipping |OT| Intensifies

royalan

Because if you're going to an expensive restaurant and are worried about the tip, maybe you shouldn't be going to said expensive restaurant.

I will say, though, that waiters at fine dining established are typically expected to be a lot more attentive and knowledgeable than, say, your average diner staff

Allforce

It is kind of strange that you tip on the total price of the food and not on the service so much. Like delivery guys for pizza, I throw them 3 bucks no matter what it is. It's like a flat rate. But at restaurants it's all based on the price of the food instead.

I've been from wing joints to fine dining where it's easily a couple hundred bucks and generally the service is exactly the same. It boils down to a slight variation of: Place drink order, get drinks, place app order, get apps, place entree order, get drink refill, get entree, "how is everything?" "Great thanks!". Check please. Maybe you get a grouch more often at a cheap diner or something but overall it's the same general service being preformed.

That said anymore I just tip 20% regardless of quality of service or food or whatever since waiters make shit for pay, but it's an odd custom compared to other services you tip for.

Jarrod38

Did you clap after the meal and did you tip the waiter with a gift card? Anyways if I'm going to spend $100 or more on a meal I'm going to tip the waiter 20%.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I can't wait until 30% becomes the new normal, and 20% are looked down upon is disdain. With the tip creep, it'll be within the next 10 years.

Disregarding the shitshow of a discussion of why tipping in America is right/wrong: When you go to a nice restaurant, you're going for the entire experience. The meal already is already costing you way more than the price of the food (especially in comparison to a cheaper restaurant). So you're paying for the chef's expertise, the atmosphere which includes having an efficient, friendly and knowledgeable server. The tip naturally becomes part of that.

styl3s

What is with the people in this thread telling the OP what he can or cannot afford. Maybe it's his birthday and he wanted to splurge? Who cares what the reason is?
I know a lot of people who just go to a fancy restaurant once or twice a year because they can't afford it, it's absurd to think that because someone eats somewhere nice they have fuck you money. I base my tips on how well the waiter/waitress does his/her job. You do a great job and are on top of things i usually just throw a fiver down which at most places i eat is above 20% or at 20%. If the waiter does a mediocre job i throw maybe $2 and if the waiter lets my glass stay empty for a long time, doesn't bring fresh rolls/bread or is just a lazy person they are lucky to get $1.

I don't reward lazy people but i also don't have to reward anyone for doing their job i only do it because of this weird social contract we have but 20% has never been the standard, at least not here and most states i have been to which about half of the US.

Are you actually interested in hearing it or is this just like most threads where the OP and subsequent posters aren't actually interested in a discussion and just want to say how you don't want to tip?

At this point, I think some people are just doing this shit on purpose to troll for the lulz.

I mean come on OP, you've been a member since freaking 2007.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom