• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Starbucks can't crack the Australian market

Status
Not open for further replies.
In an ever increasingly competitive market, like coffee, and with the always constant bombardment of North American culture becoming a staple in Australia, it's always made me curious why Starbucks never took off too much down here.

That was until I stopped being 15 and stopped living in Brisbane.

Either way, it's good to know that Starbucks is failing down here and packing up shop and going home.

Why Starbucks can't crack the Australian market

Whatever your style - long black, latte, espresso or flat white - Australians love a good brew.

And let's face it, everyone's day starts better with a solid shot.

In most cities around the world you'd be hard pressed not to find a Starbucks on every corner - but on our turf they just haven't delivered.

Starbucks have reportedly accumulated losses of at least $143 million since they opened here 14 years ago.

Having just sold their remaining outlets here to the massive multinational that runs 7-Eleven Starbucks will get one last shot at trying to become the most successful coffee chain in Australia.

Paul Patterson is a marketing guru that's spent years studying the demise of Starbucks. He says it's going to be very difficult for Starbucks to rebuild from here.

"I think they're going to struggle to rebuild the brand and get people to fall in love with it," says Mr Patterson.

The coffee giant still has stores in 63 countries leaving very few nations Frappuccino free. There are even more than 11,500 stores across the US alone.

And they're rapidly growing in Canada (1396 stores) and China (1219 stores).

But struggling to survive in Australia - Starbucks have closed around 60 shops leaving its current stable of just 22.

coffee3.jpg

"I think we've got a lot to thank Starbucks for," says Mr Patterson. "They grew the category. They basically invented the lifestyle cafes that we know today.

"But then the competition saw this was a successful formula and copied them... so they really struggled against the... competition."

And if you ask any caffeine loving Australian they'll tell you that we make some of the best coffee in the world.

There's at least 6500 independent cafes across Australia generating about $4 billion annually mainly from coffee sales.

And on average Australians drink around 3- 4 cups a day.

Will Young is the Managing Director of Campos Coffee, one of the most successful roasters in Australia.

Mr Young says Australians just won't settle for your average blend.

"Many people see Australians as coffee snobs and really we are," says Mr Young. "We're spoiled rotten here for the great coffee all the time."

"The specialty coffee industry in Australia has raised the bar so high... that Starbucks coming in sets a low level... where perhaps the baristas aren't so professional and are not as dedicated to their craft."

"It's going to be tough for them."

The companies big guns are not in the country to speak to us but they made this statement regarding their new partnership.

"We chose to partner with The Withers Group because we share similar values and culture. The deal leverages the strength of the Starbucks brand with the experience of a local owner who has a history of successfully investing and growing global brands in the Australian market" - Jeff Hansberry, President, Starbucks China & Asia Pacific

Even though Australians don't seem to want a bar of Starbucks they're on a mission to crack the market here and they'll probably throw everything they've got at it until they do.
source

I'd say they have a Buckleys chance of growing here. A Star-Buckleys chance.

Definitely a lot to be thankful for with the advent of Starbucks, as said in the article

"I think we've got a lot to thank Starbucks for," says Mr Patterson. "They grew the category. They basically invented the lifestyle cafes that we know today.

But the idea of a complete brand having monopoly of it all over the world is gross. We already have McDonalds plaguing the place up.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
That's honestly surprising to see them fail in a Western, European-descended nation like Australia. They seem to thrive in a lot of foreign cultures (ie Korea).

Loomba

Starbucks is just bad quality product imo, we have something called Cafe Nero here in the UK which is 100x better than it, cheaper and you get more.

Aon

You'd think Starbucks would be rich enough to just buy out some of the competitors.

I feel like what that article leaves out is that, at least in my neck of Melbourne, our cafe culture has a fairly high turnover. Anecdotal of course, but I feel like a lot of places do business for only 18 months or so before closing and being replaced by another, trendier independant cafe.

So while the scene as a whole is really vibrant, I don't feel like there's just some other higher quality places that are beating Starbucks at their own game as much as the scene doesn't patronise any single cafe for too long.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
There's far too many coffee shops selling much better coffee in Sydney. I've only gone to a Starbucks twice; the first time because I was caught out in the rain and I figured it was a decent place as any to kill some time. The second was when I was holidaying in Japan.

Campos for life.

Sepp

Banned
I was like 3 times in Starbucks. I never got a REAL coffee. It was always some kind of abomination.

Nephtis

I guess that's good to see? In the U.S. they're known for actually helping the local coffee shops grow their businesses in the long run, though. Not intentionally, of course. One of the few massive chains that tends to have that effect.

Don't they also treat their employees really well? Like, they have decent benefits and pay*? I've heard that Starbucks is an all round good chain, one of the very few.

*compared to most fastfood chain places

amar212

Starbucks and similar chains never succeeded in Mediterannean countries as well. We simply HATE all flavoured things and especially filtered water called "coffee".

Also, eating cookies, brownies or any similar add-ons while driniking coffee is simply not common.

Also, social culture determines drining coffee at caffes, having a chit chat, smoking, socializing and such.

None of above fits into Starbucks model.

Also, and finally, their coffe sucks, simple as that. I tried it in US and UK and it was awful. Milk have too much fat and espressos are too expensive in order to make a decent quantity (I needed 3 espressos for regular amount of coffee in cup).

However, Nero in UK was amazing, great coffee and full focus on European (even Mediterannean) coffee experience.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
I am not even sure they are cracking the European market. Most of the countries here have a rich and long coffee culture, making "express" coffee something that's not needed.

Longshot

To be honest it's way too overpriced and tastes disgusting.

I average around 4 coffees a day, and being a night shift worker I'm even more picky about what coffee I drink. The $2 large ones from 7-Eleven almost rival the ones from McDonalds.

I'm from Melbourne too, we have some of the best coffee shops in the world.

Damn, that whole paragraph was snobby as hell.

Shiina

So they enjoy good coffee from local cafés for fair money rather than mediocre, crazily overpriced latteccinos? Good on them.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah there's no room for them here really. In the kind of places you would find Starbucks in you can get half a dozen coffee shops in a stone's throw.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
To be honest it's way too overpriced and tastes disgusting.

I average around 4 coffees a day, and being a night shift worker I'm even more picky about what coffee I drink. The $2 large ones from 7-Eleven almost rival the ones from McDonalds.

I'm from Melbourne too, we have some of the best coffee shops in the world.

Damn, that whole paragraph was snobby as hell.

Not when it includes the words "7-Eleven" and "McDonalds".

braves01

Banned
In my experience in the US, while there are some quality local coffee places, the average Starbucks is cheaper, faster at making the drinks, nicer to hang out at, and ultimately has better-tasting drinks than most local shops. It didn't get to be so big and stay so big for no reason.

BocoDragon

I actually think Starbucks is one of the better "evil empires" out there. Yes, they need to be competed against, and if you have a network of awesome mom n pops you are Winning... but McDonald's/Wal-mart it aint. It actually provides a pretty good service, IMO.

That's honestly surprising to see them fail in a Western, European-descended nation like Australia. They seem to thrive in a lot of foreign cultures (ie Korea).

I wouldn't say Stabucks is thriving in Korea, sustaining I'd say, I can only think of one in Hongdae for example where there's streets full of coffee shops. Pascucci is the one thriving for foreign chains.

catmincer

Starbucks is too expensive for what you get. I can get a better drink from a local cafe for cheaper so I don't see the point in going to a chain.

Rich!

In my experience in the US, while there are some quality local coffee places, the average Starbucks is cheaper, faster at making the drinks, nicer to hang out at, and ultimately has better-tasting drinks than most local shops. It didn't get to be so big and stay so big for no reason.

Well, that's the complete opposite to the situation here in the UK. Starbucks is by far the most expensive out of the three big brands (Costa and Nero being the others), and Starbucks is by far the worst service.

BocoDragon

I wouldn't say Stabucks is thriving in Korea, sustaining I'd say, I can only think of one in Hongdae for example where there's streets full of coffee shops. Pascucci is the one thriving for foreign chains.

Ok that's interesting. That tells me my contact in Korea is a Starbucks fangirl, because she is always in various branches of it ;)

In my experience they were actually kind of rare in Japan too.

"Many people see Australians as coffee snobs and really we are," says Mr Young. "We're spoiled rotten here for the great coffee all the time."

"The specialty coffee industry in Australia has raised the bar so high... that Starbucks coming in sets a low level... where perhaps the baristas aren't so professional and are not as dedicated to their craft."

"It's going to be tough for them."

Seriously, if you live in Melbourne, you're spoiled for choice when it comes to great coffee, and I've never been a coffee fiend until coming to Australia. Even in Sydney where I'm working there's plenty of awesome coffee shops.

Just give up, it's a losing battle.

We have Starbucks in Australia?

I had 4 near where i live in Melbourne, wasn't surprised to see them all fall over a few years ago. Kinda like the Krispe Kreame effect, popular in the short term.... over rated long term.

Not a coffee drinker so i can't speak for the product, some of my American friends swore by the brand................ however over the years i have read very different opinions (in the negative).

Jintor

Speaking of Krispy Kreme, they seem to have infilitrated Aussie shores pretty decently. Not to the same extent as the mochi/frogurt bubble, but I see outlets in 7-11 and the occasional free-standing one as well.

Fusebox

Banned
Aussies are too smart to pay for overpriced coffee made by kids when there's usually a local place with a good barista close by.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
For at least Melbourne, independent cafes are just unbeatable with the culture we have and have had for a very long time. Franchise loyalty for coffee simply does not exist. There's a culture of trying new places and finding nice little spots, many of which source high quality beans. The scene can be a bit wanky at times, but the wealth of coffee places in Melbourne is one of its greatest perks.

They haven't made a profit in the UK for years either.

First ever non religious not for profit cafe chain. They do it out of love for coffee.

A few observation from a european PoV
Starbucks is a labor intensive operations, with the salary cost of some european country (Belgium, France, others maybe), they can only develop where their turn over is extremely high.
In Belgium, they are only present in train station or airport where there is enough passage to sustain them.
In France, they seems to be either touristy area or transport area.
From my experience, when i compare independent or "mini" chain that we have, there is maybe 1 or 2 people manning everything.
You can feel the difference where there is some queue: Starbucks will still manage to get your coffee quiet quickly not so much for the other place.
Basically i think that nice small place just to hang out are doing just fine but it seems that when size is passing a certain threshold, Starbucks and it's like, will fare better)

Speaking of Krispy Kreme, they seem to have infilitrated Aussie shores pretty decently. Not to the same extent as the mochi/frogurt bubble, but I see outlets in 7-11 and the occasional free-standing one as well.

They used to have more individual Aussie stores, quite a few closed down because interest shrunk.

saunderez

It's awful, even compared to other chain coffee. I'll take a Gloria Jean's any day over a Starbucks, and Gloria Jean's kinda beat Starbucks to the punch by being everywhere (460 outlets apparently). As for Melbourne - yup independent coffee all the way. Brother Baba Budan is amazing.

Yagharek

In an ever increasingly competitive market, like coffee, and with the always constant bombardment of North American culture becoming a staple in Australia, it's always made me curious why Starbucks never took off too much down here.starbucks-just-cant-crack-australian-market]source[/url]

We have good coffee in Australia. Starbucks is rubbish. If you want bad coffee, buy a tin of nescafe instant, leave it open for six months and its as good as starbucks for half the price.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Not surprising in the least. We're an apathetic people with access to thousands of coffee shops and cafes that understand most Australian's don't have time for a fuck-around. "White with two" or "the usual" better be on your menu down here, or you're already out of business.

BocoDragon

For at least Melbourne, independent cafes are just unbeatable with the culture we have and have had for a very long time. Franchise loyalty for coffee simply does not exist. There's a culture of trying new places and finding nice little spots, many of which source high quality beans. The scene can be a bit wanky at times, but the wealth of coffee places in Melbourne is one of its greatest perks.

That sounds great! Not for the reason that "thank god we kept Bucks out!" but for the fact that you have a genuinely great coffee house "scene".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom