• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why the DS Rocks - Official Game Recommendation Thread

MarshMellow96 said:
I can't find OoE anywhere in the UK (new). It was apparently £4.98 on the Game website a while ago, but it's out of stock now. Any tips?
You can get it from Play.com, but it's £20.

Phoenixus

Kinda random question to bump a thread with, but I felt this was the best place to ask.
Is there a site where I can order a bunch of thin US black DS cases? (or even blank 3DS cases would be aces) The cases we have here for DS games in Europe suck balls, and I'd like to replace mine (okay, too much time on my hands :p). I've tried eBay but no joy.

Stalfos

Phoenixus said:
Kinda random question to bump a thread with, but I felt this was the best place to ask.
Is there a site where I can order a bunch of thin US black DS cases? (or even blank 3DS cases would be aces) The cases we have here for DS games in Europe suck balls, and I'd like to replace mine (okay, too much time on my hands :p). I've tried eBay but no joy.
Nintendo's US store has them available. Don't know what you can do about getting them to Europe though.

Steroyd

Holy crap. HELP!!! @_@

Practically missed the whole DS generation, got a 3DS recently and I don't know where to begin.

I think it's best to ask for reccomendations for a Professor Layton Game, a Pheonix Wright game, and RPG's in general atm.

Games I've already ordered.

Pokemon Silver
Pokemon Black
Elite Beat Agents
New Super Mario Brothers

Boney

Banned
Steroyd said:
Holy crap. HELP!!! @_@

Practically missed the whole DS generation, got a 3DS recently and I don't know where to begin.

I think it's best to ask for reccomendations for a Professor Layton Game, a Pheonix Wright game, and RPG's in general atm.

Pokemon Silver
Pokemon Black
Elite Beat Agents
New Super Mario Brothers
Just get the first Layton and PW

Also, get The World Ends Wiith You

Steroyd said:
Holy crap. HELP!!! @_@

Pokemon Silver
Pokemon Black
Elite Beat Agents
New Super Mario Brothers
The first Phoenix Wright is good, I haven't played the others or any of the Professor Layton games though. I'd also check out 999 along with those. As for RPGs I recommend The World Ends With You, Dragon Quest IX, and Radiant Historia, I would also recommend Devil Survivor but there's an enhanced 3DS port coming out.

tha_devil

To bad topic isnt all up to date.

I was wondering, is there anyone on neogaf who owns all games on this list?

Im currently on 78 ds games myself, but still missing alot from this list.

Steroyd

bobbychalkers said:
The first Phoenix Wright is good, I haven't played the others or any of the Professor Layton games though. I'd also check out 999 along with those. As for RPGs I recommend The World Ends With You, Dragon Quest IX, and Radiant Historia, I would also recommend Devil Survivor but there's an enhanced 3DS port coming out.

Sweet. Currently ebaying DQIX, will check out the others, prices rarely drop into impulse range. :|

Steroyd said:
Sweet. Currently ebaying DQIX, will check out the others, prices rarely drop into impulse range. :|
Actually, I'd suggest to get Dragon Quest V (and/or DQIV) first since it just got a new shipment (plus it is better than DQIX :p), it goes for as low as $24 on Amazon which is amazing considering how expensive it has been for a long, long while. DQIX won't ever get high in price, so it can wait imo.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So next purchase...

Okamiden or Pokemon Black? I haven't played a Pokemon since Pearl, and I really liked the original Okami

zoner said:
So next purchase...

Okamiden or Pokemon Black? I haven't played a Pokemon since Pearl, and I really liked the original Okami
Get Okamiden now, Pokemon Black later. I imagine Pokemon will be rather easy to track down later on, Okamiden, not so much.

zoner said:
So next purchase...

I would recommend Pokémon Black. I hadn't enjoyed a mainline Pokémon game since Gold way back on the GBC, but Black/White knocked it out of the park for me. Excellent titles.

NeededSleep

hmm awesome thread! i kinda really want DQ heroes: Rocket Slime now. Didn't i see they were making part 2 or was that DQ joker or some other.

NeededSleep said:
hmm awesome thread! i kinda really want DQ heroes: Rocket Slime now. Didn't i see they were making part 2 or was that DQ joker or some other.
That was Joker 2. I wasn't a fan of the first one, so not really looking forward to the sequel.

On a semi-unrelated note, I found a copy of Tetris DS today. I'm pretty psyched. I know in some areas people see it pre-owned in stores all the time, but I never see it in my area. It was 30 bucks, but it literally looks like it just came out of the shrink wrap.

I'm inching ever closer to acquiring all the games I've been trying to find. Still trying to find a copy of Meteos, if you can believe it. Yeah, I could buy the cartridge used, but all my games MUST have the box and instructions.

At any rate, my collection has gotten huge. I think I'm up to 80 now.

Boney

Banned
NeededSleep said:
They're making part 3 actually, on 3DS. Part 2 is the DS one. There was a japan only gba game.

So someone who understands the Pokemon.. for someone who has never played any Pokemon which do I want?

White
Black
Heartgold with that thingie?

MiniBossman said:
So someone who understands the Pokemon.. for someone who has never played any Pokemon which do I want?

White
Black
Heartgold with that thingie?
Play Fire Red for GBA. Remake of the first and best Pokemon game ever.

Chatin

Yeah, play Fire Red, then Soul Silver, and then skip to Black or White. Stop by DPP, if you want, but don't bother to touch RSE.

Korigama

DidntKnowJack said:
I was in Gamestop earlier and saw a used copy of Front Mission for the DS. $7.99. Worth it for that price? Any good?

It's still in my backlog now, but I've enjoyed what I've played of it (I'd say it's worth it at that price).

I'm here to re-recommend Picross 3D because it's dirt cheap nowadays and, with 350+ awesome puzzles, slick interface, addictive as fuck, it's practically the best game on the system you can find at that price. It was already worth it at full price so drop your weekly Blu-ray purchase and buy that instead!

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Pokemon White- Do not get the Black version it has less Pokemon and the CITY sucks. White is the new Black... We had black and than I saw a friends white version and traded mine in for the White version.

Baron

Anasui Kishibe said:
I'm here to re-recommend Picross 3D because it's dirt cheap nowadays and, with 350+ awesome puzzles, slick interface, addictive as fuck, it's practically the best game on the system you can find at that price. It was already worth it at full price so drop your weekly Blu-ray purchase and buy that instead!

Where have you found it dirt cheap now? Everywhere I see it, it's still $20.

Also, I just picked up a complete used copy of Lunar Knights in very nice condition for only $7. I also am thinking of picking up Legacy of Ys I&II...is it any good? The graphics look kind of terrible. Not a fan of the 3D look, wish they kept the sprites.

I need your help!

linear action-adventure-platforming, I really feel like playing a game similar to classic Castlevanias, Mega Man style would suffice too. I really want it to be linear and has action/adventure elements. (I got Dragon Sword, but it was really poor, really easy, everything average, horrible story, etc). NO shooter, so no contra, etc.

linear rpg game, like Silmeria. I want a FF 13 style linear rpg.

(I recently started playing DMC3, it really got into my head, and I have this URGE)

soccer game: is there a decent soccer game on DS?

decent racing: I got grid, but the cars were like little solid boxes, mario kart handles much more elegantly.

no DSi ware please.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
walking fiend said:
I need your help!

linear action-adventure-platforming, I really feel like playing a game similar to classic Castlevanias, Mega Man style would suffice too. I really want it to be linear and has action/adventure elements. (I got Dragon Sword, but it was really poor, really easy, everything average, horrible story, etc). NO shooter, so no contra, etc.

linear rpg game, like Silmeria. I want a FF 13 style linear rpg.

(I recently started playing DMC3, it really got into my head, and I have this URGE)

soccer game: is there a decent soccer game on DS?

decent racing: I got grid, but the cars were like little solid boxes, mario kart handles much more elegantly.

no DSi ware please.

legend of kage 2, Spider man web of shadows though not so linear, as for RPG's and football games not really my thing..

racing err not much on the DS that is decent

legbone

i want to second (or third or fourth) the recommendation for spiderman web of shadows. i picked up a used copy since new copies are a little pricey at the moment. great title. i totally ignored the spiderman ds releases and i shouldn't have in this case. nice little metroidvania basically. lots of fun. i think it's hilarious the way spidey runs. check youtube for gameplay videos to see what i mean. some people hate the animation but it think it's kind of hilarious. anyway, i have heard that the ds version of shattered dimensions (or whatever it is called) is also a spidey metroidvania. think i'll pick it up soon.

I want them to be really linear, dunno why, but my mind needs it, metroidvanias are not linear :(

is web of shadows linear?

Suikoden Tierkreis, Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy remakes, Golden Sun Dark Dawn.

are they linear? a bit of open worldishness is OK, but chrono trigger is not ok.

thanks for the info and recommendations :)

legbone

i don't know. i have heard it is a metroidvania like web of shadows but i don't know as i haven't picked it up yet. if it's as good as web of shadows, then yes it is. i can only speak on web of shadows though.

i do know that it is a 2d title and nothing like the ps3, 360, and wii versions from what i've seen.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
legbone said:
i don't know. i have heard it is a metroidvania like web of shadows but i don't know as i haven't picked it up yet. if it's as good as web of shadows, then yes it is. i can only speak on web of shadows though.

Nice.. looking for some games that are cheap to fill a hole in my 3DS play time.. Bangai-o on the 3DS d-pad is nice...sold my mario 64 but not sure I want to get it again as Mario 3DS coming out..sorry kinda Derailing DS thread

as no DSIware walking fiend try cave story I got it on WiiWare and really like it.. kinda metroidvania-ish but a great game and nice...still need to complete it i got a massive back log..

also you want linear platform with action, NSMB DS?

as no DSIware walking fiend try cave story I got it on WiiWare and really like it.. kinda metroidvania-ish but a great game and nice...still need to complete it i got a massive back log..

also you want linear platform with action, NSMB DS?

I have cave story on my PC, and really like it, but since I gave up playing on PC some years ago, I find it really hard to seat on a bench and play.

NSMB DS is not enjoyanble for me, I don't like either MK or NSMB on DS, unlike those on the Wii. They just feel cramped. However, I like Zeldas on DS MUCH more than TP :D

Boney

Banned
walking fiend said:
I need your help!

Your best bet it seems is the Megaman Zero Collection. It's a pretty tough set of games though, but they're linear, have a good story and have some character growth element to them. Plus the collection offers an (very) easy mode if you think the games are too hard.

As for RPG, I really enjoyed FF: 4 Warriors of Light, but be sure to look into the game first 'cause some didn't enjoy it very much.

And for Soccer, the winning eleven games are ok I guess..

walking fiend said:
I want them to be really linear, dunno why, but my mind needs it, metroidvanias are not linear :(

is web of shadows linear?

are they linear? a bit of open worldishness is OK, but chrono trigger is not ok.

thanks for the info and recommendations :)

Ok, maybe DQs are too "open" but Suikoden may fit your necessities.
The 4 Heroes of Light is also very linear, there's a worldmap but not too open, like "go to town A to dungeon B to town C to dungeon D".
Nostalgia may also be a recommendations, you can find it for few bucks. It's very classic, though not excellent.

Boney said:
Your best bet it seems is the Megaman Zero Collection. It's a pretty tough set of games though, but they're linear, have a good story and have some character growth element to them. Plus the collection offers an (very) easy mode if you think the games are too hard.

As for RPG, I really enjoyed FF: 4 Warriors of Light, but be sure to look into the game first 'cause some didn't enjoy it very much.

And for Soccer, the winning eleven games are ok I guess..

thanks Boney, I was thinking of getting mega man myself too, but wasn't sure whether they are good or not. I like them hard way, if the other option is super easy :D

I'll give FF: 4 WoL a try as well, I've learned that i have a taste for charming games rough on the edges.

will check pes, but I remember it not being good, will check for fifa as well (as if there are other options, hehe)

has anyone played inzuma eleven? :D

Boney

Banned
walking fiend said:
thanks Boney, I was thinking of getting mega man myself too, but wasn't sure whether they are good or not. I like them hard way, if the other option is super easy :D

I'll give FF: 4 WoL a try as well, I've learned that i have a taste for charming games rough on the edges.

will check pes, but I remember it not being good, will check for fifa as well (as if there are other options, hehe)

Note, I'm not recommending the ZX series for Megaman. They're.. ok... but there's so much stupid, plus they're non linear.

walking fiend said:

IE is a good game in my opinion, it has a fresh gameplay (i.e. more RTSish than jRPGish), and an interesting scenario even if it's a bit easy.

----
OK, checkings done.

Will get:
- Zero Collection
- The Legend of Kage 2
- FF: 4 Warriors of Light
- FIFA 11
- Inzuma Eleven

will post impression later too (although since I'm way slow with games, may take months :D)

thanks everyone for recommendations, really appreciate it :)

leroidys

walking fiend said:
----
OK, checkings done.

Will get:
- Zero Collection
- The Legend of Kage 2
- FIFA 11
- Inzuma Eleven

will post impression later too (although since I'm way slow with games, may take months :D)

thanks everyone for recommendations, really appreciate it :)

I honestly really enjoyed ZX. Just look at the map on gamefaqs to figure out how to get from area to area. ZXA on the other hand was very awful.

Futureman

ok, I know the DS Zeldas don't get much love, but I love the series and my used store has Phantom Hourglass for $14.

No brainer for $14?

Futureman said:
ok, I know the DS Zeldas don't get much love, but I love the series and my used store has Phantom Hourglass for $14.

No brainer for $14?
no brainer, I liked it more than TP. Combat is really easy however, boss fights, not boss fights, just too easy. And don't worry about returning to the temple too much, temple is actually one of the more challenging parts of the game, so it is good.

I honestly really enjoyed ZX. Just look at the map on gamefaqs to figure out how to get from area to area. ZXA on the other hand was very awful.
I may look into it, but I think I'll try zero collection first, seems more to my likings :D

NeededSleep

walking fiend said:
----
OK, checkings done.

Will get:
- Zero Collection
- The Legend of Kage 2
- FIFA 11
- Inzuma Eleven

Gah! i want Inzuma Eleven, wish they would bring it over to the states.

Top Bottom