• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why the DS Rocks - Official Game Recommendation Thread

lawblob said:
Just picked this up over the weekend; god damn this is a great game! Even my wife loves it.

Easily one of the best platformers on the system.

3e080146fd11e515e09995653b1f636c.jpg

Donkey%20Kong%20Jungle%20Climber_11621.jpg

I picked this up today at Toys R' Us, along with Rondo of Swords and Soul Bubbles. Is DK Jungle Climber part of a series? What are the previous games and how are they? Who develops this series?

NSMB "solid?" I think it's the best side-scrolling platform game after SMB3 and SMW.

pswii60

TheGrayGhost said:
NSMB "solid?" I think it's the best side-scrolling platform game after SMB3 and SMW.
Considering "side-scrolling platform game" is my favourite genre, it looks like I'm going to have the best holiday ever :)

lyre

Since I'm bored and feeling generous, if anyone can compile a list of games in the existing format to be added to the thread, I'll be happy to 'mod abuse' the original posts with the updates.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
TheGrayGhost said:
I picked this up today at Toys R' Us, along with Rondo of Swords and Soul Bubbles. Is DK Jungle Climber part of a series? What are the previous games and how are they? Who develops this series?

Just one. DK King of Swing for the GBA. It's more cartoony than Jungle Climber. Jungle Climber is the better game, but King of Swing's look is nicer. The series is developed by PAON, who also did DK Barrel Blast for Wii (awful), and Glory of Heracles for the DS (by all accounts good but low budget, I haven't played it). They also own a sizable chunk of Data East's IP. They appear to be a second party developer by choice at this point.

pswii60 said:
Considering "side-scrolling platform game" is my favourite genre, it looks like I'm going to have the best holiday ever :)

Well, you may not feel the same about NSMB as I do. Fans of the genre guard their favorites ferociously. Here's a review of NSMB:

Cragi Harris said:
Before New Super Mario Bros. entered my life, Yoshi's Island was, to me, the greatest platformer ever created. That title may now have to go to New Super Mario Bros.

A lot of what made Yoshi's Island so fantastic was how the designers used graphic capabilities to create and incorporate new gameplay elements into the mix. That's the same with New Super Mario Bros.-- the power of the Nintendo DS makes it possible for new elements like the deforming terrain, giant 3D enemies and obstacles, fully rotating environments, and countless other elements that are more integral to the game design than they are for "ooh neat" effect.

This game can easily be completed in a day if you simply romp through the bare minimum of New Super Mario Bros. level structure. Some levels are easier than others... But like games in Mario's past, there's more to this Nintendo DS game than the minimum requirements - far more levels and challenges await those who try and complete a level by snagging everything before the end.

Admittedly there aren't as many gameplay innovations in New Super Mario Bros. as compared to previous Super Mario releases, but that's mostly due to the fact that much of platforming's innovations are related to 3D designs. But that said, this Nintendo DS release still proves that Nintendo still has some great ideas brewing for its plumber in his classic setting. There's an incredible amount of fresh, fun challenge to uncover in this revival.

Here's to the start of something new for Nintendo's old plumber.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
pswii60 said:
Kirby, eh? What did you enjoy about it? Seems to have had good reviews.

EDIT: Is it out in Europe? Or under a different name? Can't find it at game.co.uk

Its out in Europe. Might be hard to find though

It is the best use of the touchscreen period. A truly ground up platformer that is original.

If you like strategy get either of the Advance Wars

If you like side scrolling action adventures, try either of the Castlevanias.

If you like puzzlers...well get Prism and Puzzle League first and work your way through the rest of the list in the OP.

If you are a hardcore badass get Contra 4

And try Phoenix Wright

Stumpokapow said:
Just one. DK King of Swing for the GBA. It's more cartoony than Jungle Climber. Jungle Climber is the better game, but King of Swing's look is nicer. The series is developed by PAON, who also did DK Barrel Blast for Wii (awful), and Glory of Heracles for the DS (by all accounts good but low budget, I haven't played it). They also own a sizable chunk of Data East's IP. They appear to be a second party developer by choice at this point.

Would you recommend King of Swing?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
lyre said:
Since I'm bored and feeling generous, if anyone can compile a list of games in the existing format to be added to the thread, I'll be happy to 'mod abuse' the original posts with the updates.
Just a list or do you need pictures? (cause I'm a little too busy to collect them right now)

Apenheul

pswii60 said:
So, I'm planning on getting:

New Super Mario Bros
Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

They're both great titles IMO. Zelda:pH has mixed reviews, but I consider it a good Zelda game and an excellent DS game. Since side-scrolling platform games are your favorite genre I can recommend Yoshi's Island DS too, play NSMB first and then YIDS.

pswii60

HK-47 said:
Its out in Europe. Might be hard to find though

It is the best use of the touchscreen period. A truly ground up platformer that is original.

If you like strategy get either of the Advance Wars

If you like side scrolling action adventures, try either of the Castlevanias.

If you like puzzlers...well get Prism and Puzzle League first and work your way through the rest of the list in the OP.

If you are a hardcore badass get Contra 4

And try Phoenix Wright
Thanks, I'll look in to all of those :)

lyre

HK-47 said:
Just a list or do you need pictures? (cause I'm a little too busy to collect them right now)
If you're missing a few screens, I'll try to tack on a few between raising peons in EO2. But otherwise, if it's complete, I'll put it in and add a few gaf threads to it.

Edit: also, pm the list and bump the thread to remind me.

Struct09

pswii60 said:
Kirby, eh? What did you enjoy about it? Seems to have had good reviews.

EDIT: Is it out in Europe? Or under a different name? Can't find it at game.co.uk

I think it's called Kirby: Power Paintbrush in Europe

Great game, makes good use of the DS and it's a lot of fun

Talamius

If you have $49 to burn and are thinking of getting Guitar Hero, pass and get Space Invaders Extreme ($20), Worms: Open Warfare 2 ($10) and either Shiren or Arkanoid DS ($20 each). You'll be much happier.

GH kills my hands.

Re: DK Jungle Climber. Do not play it with deteriorating shoulder buttons, as I did, unless you want to kill numerous innocent people, as I did.

TheGrayGhost said:

I played both to absolute completition, and yes, I think Jungle Climber is the better game. It's faster paced (thanks partly to superior controls) and has better level design, especially the bonus levels unlocked after beating the game which are really fun. Also it look nicer.

King of Swing does seem to have more content, with a Diddy (harder) mode, as well as Time Trials and mini-games based around gameplay (half the mini-games in Jungle Climber don't have to do anything with the main-game).

I would recommend you play both in order.

doktorpeace said:
Re: DK Jungle Climber. Do not play it with deteriorating shoulder buttons, as I did, unless you want to kill numerous innocent people, as I did.

I found it to be very hard to play with the Lite (same as most games) due to crappy shoulder buttons, so I used the trusty original model.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
TheGrayGhost said:

I really liked both Jungle Climber and King of Swing. If you liked Jungle Climber, definitely get King of Swing. I enjoyed it more on my GBASP than my replay on my DS Lite, but that's more of a personal taste thing. King of Swing definitely has a nicer look, since it's a lot more cartoony; Jungle Climber is more detailed, but the pre-rendered CG thing doesn't sit well with me.

If you haven't played JC yet or are mixed on it, try that first. If you enjoyed JC, King of Swing is great. You should be able to get a decent deal on it as well.

pswii60 said:
So, I'm planning on getting:

New Super Mario Bros
Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

EDIT: Keep in mind I'm in Europe so many awesome DS games (Bangai-O, Professor Layton) aren't out here yet.

You absolutely can't go wrong with either of these titles. Since you are in Europe, you may want to consider 42 All Time Classics (known as Clubhouse Games in the US). It's crack on a cartridge.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
A Link to the Snitch said:
Wrong.

If you're comparing it to the console games maybe, but not as a DS game.

No it definitely is. But then again you do have odd tastes in DS games

Fireblend

Banned
I think I'll be getting a couple of games soon, bear in mind my last DS game was Pokemon Pearl. After giving it some thought, I think I'll be getting Space Invaders Extreme and Final Fantasy Tactics A2.

First one looks like a must have and it fits with my gaming needs (I'm awfully busy with university, so games I can play for 20 minutes and be done are just what I need; Tetris and Mario Kart have been getting a lot of attention).

About Final Fantasy Tactics, I really need another strategy game. Is this the best one there is or is there any other option I should consider?

Fireblend said:
I think I'll be getting a couple of games soon, bear in mind my last DS game was Pokemon Pearl. After giving it some thought, I think I'll be getting Space Invaders Extreme and Final Fantasy Tactics A2.

First one looks like a must have and it fits with my gaming needs (I'm awfully busy with university, so games I can play for 20 minutes and be done are just what I need; Tetris and Mario Kart have been getting a lot of attention).

About Final Fantasy Tactics, I really need another strategy game. Is this the best one there is or is there any other option I should consider?

If you can't find Space Invaders (been tough to get a hold of around here), Geometry Wars Galaxies might tickle your fancy.

Also, the obvious strategy games would be the Advance Wars series. I love FFT, and really wanted to love FFTA (which A2 is supposed to be very similar to). I put about 20 hours into it and just didn't dig it, primarily because of the kiddy story, judges and rule system, and the characters (along with their art) really didn't appeal to me. But I do know there are a number of fans for FFTA, so its' possible you could enjoy A2 more than I think.

lyre

While they won't be that many, but a few I don't think deserve to be on any list other than 'huge disappointment' lists.

Think of it as 'new management'. :p

HK-47 said:
No it definitely is. But then again you do have odd tastes in DS games

No, you just have odd taste in games, and think I do!

EDIT: Also, I think a good idea would to do a similar system to the GotY - have people vote on their top ten titles, and have it arranged that way.

Maybe it should be limited to 10 games per category. And shouldn't include games not released yet. Although the list is great, it's somewhat bloated.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
lyre said:
While they won't be that many, but a few I don't think deserve to be on any list other than 'huge disappointment' lists.

You take off ZX and Advent and I'll just make a new thread lyre

lyre said:

Which ones are you thinking of killing from the list?

lyre

Ah, I guess I am that predictable. :p

Tho admittedly, I was only going to remove the first ZX since Advent actually has some redeeming qualities, ie 4 or so levels worthy of actual play.

But alas, do what you prefer.

Stumpokapow said:
I really liked both Jungle Climber and King of Swing. If you liked Jungle Climber, definitely get King of Swing. I enjoyed it more on my GBASP than my replay on my DS Lite, but that's more of a personal taste thing. King of Swing definitely has a nicer look, since it's a lot more cartoony; Jungle Climber is more detailed, but the pre-rendered CG thing doesn't sit well with me.

If you haven't played JC yet or are mixed on it, try that first. If you enjoyed JC, King of Swing is great. You should be able to get a decent deal on it as well.

Allan Holdsworth said:
I played both to absolute completition, and yes, I think Jungle Climber is the better game. It's faster paced (thanks partly to superior controls) and has better level design, especially the bonus levels unlocked after beating the game which are really fun. Also it look nicer.

King of Swing does seem to have more content, with a Diddy (harder) mode, as well as Time Trials and mini-games based around gameplay (half the mini-games in Jungle Climber don't have to do anything with the main-game).

I would recommend you play both in order.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll pick it up! My DS library is huge!

How's Mario vs. Donkey Kong: March of the Minis? It isn't developed by a main Nintendo team (NST, I think), so I'm immediately hesitant to buy it, even though it's two predecessor are outstanding.

TheGrayGhost said:
How's Mario vs. Donkey Kong: March of the Minis? It isn't developed by a main Nintendo team (NST, I think), so I'm immediately hesitant to buy it, even though it's two predecessor are outstanding.

It's easy, and it's kind of like Lemmings.

Watch a video.

A Link to the Snitch said:
It's easy, and it's kind of like Lemmings.

Watch a video.

I'm not familiar with Lemmings, but I've read it's a classic.

Anyway, I think I'll take your advice and watch a few videos.

Tobor

I'm still waiting for someone to explain what happened with Ethelred. I searched his last posts, but I'm not getting it.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I can't believe I've been neglecting my DS so much. I got it just after I got my Wii on Christmas, and I really haven't played it too much. I got Mario Kart and Metroid Prime Hunters at the time I bought it, and I loved Mario Kart and though Hunters was okay. I borrowed Animal Crossing: WW from a friend and ended up buying it from them because I loved it so much. Then I bought Pokemon and I wasn't a huge fan. I also enjoyed Phantom Hourglass.

Just recently I bought Phoenix Wright, though...
OMG! :D
The best game I've played in a long time and it has made me realize a new love for my DS, and I really want to buy some new games, so I plan on using the TRU deal for my benefit.

I've already played JFA, so I'm thinking of picking up TaT, Apollo Justice, and NSMB. Or perhaps TaT, Elite Beat Agents, and NSMB. Hmm...

There is just way too much excellent software for this handheld.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Tobor said:
I'm still waiting for someone to explain what happened with Ethelred. I searched his last posts, but I'm not getting it.
I've been asking about it too, but looks like no one knows or it's a mistery.

Fantastical said:
I've already played JFA, so I'm thinking of picking up TaT, Apollo Justice, and NSMB. Or perhaps TaT, Elite Beat Agents, and NSMB. Hmm...

There is just way too much excellent software for this handheld.

There really is. I am mainly a sports gamer, but the DS has really opened me up to so many different types of games like Brain Age, Clubhouse Games, NSMB, Picross, Elite Beat Agents, Advance Wars and so on...

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Zerodoppler said:
VIEWTIFUL JOE: DOUBLE TROUBLE

Developer: Clover Studio
Publisher: Capcom
US Release: Released
i endorse this post and the subsequent inclusion of this game in the eternal hall of fame on page 1.

Top Bottom