• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why the F don't people simply pre-order consoles?

koam

I really don't understand the whole concept of waiting in line for hours to MAYBE get a console. This isn't an Xbox 360 only thing, it happens every single launch. People wait till the last minute, then camp out at walmart or whatever and then, they MAY if they're lucky get the console. Go out put your five down on the PS3 and/or REV and avoid this lines. It's that simple.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
EB's got, what, 15 360's? And how many dozens more preordered but have to wait still? If you don't want an online bundle, you either have to preorder your system before 99% of the gaming world, wait in line, or get lucky.

koam

krypt0nian said:
Tell that to all the people that put money down and got nothing.

That's only people who pre-order too late. If you pre-order a PS3 or REV now, you'll get it at launch. If ever you decide that you don't want them, either get your money back or buy and ebay them.

AniHawk

Oh, I can understand why. The people at Funcoland screwed me last minute forcing me to camp out one November night in 2001.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
You couldn't pre-order the 360. The cut off was ridiculously shorter than any other console launch pre-order.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
sportzhead said:
And back in the day, SNES, N64, PS1 days, I don't believe you had the option to pre-order.

Definitely not true. I used to reserve games all the time. Systems, I never had to.

koam

sportzhead said:
And back in the day, SNES, N64, PS1 days, I don't believe you had the option to pre-order.

No you didn't, and people waiting in lines, that's fine. But nowadays, you can pre-order and should. If your store sucks then pre-order elsewhere or Online.

Stench

Banned
koam said:
That's only people who pre-order too late. If you pre-order a PS3 or REV now, you'll get it at launch.
Can you pre-order one now, though?

I'm completely prepared to put money down after seeing the shit that went on the last few days, but nowhere that I'm familiar with is taking reserves.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Kobun Heat said:
Because not everyone knows in MAY whether they're going to want to and/or be able to purchase something in NOVEMBER?
this is kind of odd.
XBox 360 = $400.

May = $20 deposit

Now let's assume $10 a week to put down on the system. That is may, june, july, august, september, october, and three weeks in november. $10/week (counting one 5 week month) is probably around $280, PLUS your original $20. You are down to $100 for the system at launch and spent $10/week (roughly two value meals at mcd's). sure there are games also, but assuming just one game that would have only been $150 out of your pocket at launch which nowadays for your average gamer isn't really that much. hell, you could even reduce that further by trading in your old system and a couple of games for it.. you could probably get it close to $0 doing so (depending on your collection).

krypt0nian said:
Tell that to all the people that put money down and got nothing.
if you pre-order more than 2-3 weeks after pre-orders open, expect not to get a console. I don't care if pre-orders open 2 months before launch or 12 months before launch.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I pre-ordered just after May, pre-paid, and still got nada. The gamestops in my area each got 4 - 8 Premiums.

ManaByte

koam said:
No you didn't, and people waiting in lines, that's fine. But nowadays, you can pre-order and should. If your store sucks then pre-order elsewhere or Online.

A lot of people did pre-order...this summer. BUT THEY GOT JACK SHIT. How hard is that for you to understand?

koam

truffleshuffle83 said:
i preorder as soon as they get a sku. if youre not certain, preorder anyways you can always cancel. better safe than sorry

Exactly, that's what I do and I've never been screwed out of any launch.

borghe

ManaByte said:
A lot of people did pre-order...this summer. BUT THEY GOT JACK SHIT. How hard is that for you to understand?
summer? as in june 21st at the earliest? when did pre-orders open?

if you pre-ordered at the end of may and got screwed, I almost have some sympathy for you. but if you pre-ordered in june, a month later, and got screwed, well, there was an entire other month earlier you could have pre-ordered and gotten a system during.

I don't get why people believe pre-ordering is like this 6 month window you have to work within to secure yourself a system. the systems sell out on the first day at the stores, why is it so hard to understand that pre-orders sell out just as quickly for the consoles?

Oni Jazar

borghe said:
summer? as in june 21st at the earliest? when did pre-orders open?

if you pre-ordered at the end of may and got screwed, I almost have some sympathy for you. but if you pre-ordered in june, a month later, and got screwed, well, there was an entire other month earlier you could have pre-ordered and gotten a system during.

I don't get why people believe pre-ordering is like this 6 month window you have to work within to secure yourself a system. the systems sell out on the first day at the stores, why is it so hard to understand that pre-orders sell out just as quickly for the consoles?

So we should've PRE-ORDERED THE PREORDER. There's no 'opening day' they take your money whenever you want to give it to them.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Not everyone likes handing out interest free loans.

And I never understood why it's "preorder" and not just "order". But then again, I don't see the difference between "pricepoint" and "price" either.

Too many marketing euphemisms invading our languages!

Preordered at the end of May, the week after I got back from E3. Still on the 2nd shipment. In fact, half the people in line with me at Wal-mart also got screwed on their preorder.

In conclusion, please never post again.

borghe

Oni Jazar said:
So we should've PRE-ORDERED THE PREORDER. There's no 'opening day' they take your money whenever you want to give it to them.
actually for eb and gamestop, there is definitely an "opening day". it is coporate mandated when they begin pre-ordering consoles. now you are right in that their doesn't have to even be a sku in the system for this to happen, but there are definitely coporate wide days when the pre-orders begin.

and I already said that kind of sucks for those of you who pre-ordered in may. but anyone in june or later.. really it had to be expected.

WindyMan

A lot of people don't even know the pre-order option exists. After that, you'd be surprised at how many people who don't know any better just walk into a store and ask for a new system on day one, fully expecting it to be there. I had a ton of customers that were clueless when the PS2 launched.

borghe said:
but anyone in june or later, really it had to be expected.
When, in June, or now? Of course hindsight is 20/20.

If you mean it should have been expected then, well the clerks sure were telling me another story.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
WindyMan said:
A lot of people don't even know the pre-order option exists. After that, you'd be surprised at how many people who don't know any better just walk into a store and ask for a new system on day one, fully expecting it to be there. I had a ton of customers that were clueless when the PS2 launched.
That's understandable considering that the only other industry this happens in is $150k+ sport cars.

myzhi

Banned
Pre-ordering doesn't guarantee shi*t. If I go order PS3/Rev and end up below 5th on the list, who knows what will happen if it's repeat of X360. And, given what just happen, going to hard to find any place where you can be 1-5 on the list. We might as well pre-order X720 and PS4 now. :lol

Oni Jazar

borghe said:
and I already said that kind of sucks for those of you who pre-ordered in may. but anyone in june or later.. really it had to be expected.

No it hadn't. This has been one the shortest launch supplies ever. This could even have beaten the PS2 disaster. Most everyone who pre-ordered a Gamecube and Xbox had no problem picking one up. I waited about 4 hours myself at walmart for a GC at launch. I was just about the first person in line. No one could have expected such abysmal numbers since frikkin June.

3rdman

Why the F don't people simply pre-order consoles?

2 reasons...for one, bundles suck...especially when you have NO choice for the games you choose. Explain to me why my money should be making interest in their banking account and I can't even select my games?

Secondly, I wanted to wait on the game reviews and a definitive launch list. Otherwise, I'd end up like others here that pre-ordered Oblivion only to be told that it is delayed and their bundle has been altered and their game substituted without a choice.

Lastly, is it really that big a deal? I, for one, am totally bummed about missing out (I turned down the core system twice) but, like any thing else, you've got to be patient. I will get a premium system with the games and accessory of MY CHOICE and my money won't be sitting in someone else's bank account until then.

borghe

3rdman said:
(I turned down the core system twice)
now THIS is what I seriously don't get. I understand wanting the premium pack over the core system.. but to have turned down the core system AND THEN complain about not getting a system. I mean if the premium system came with stuff you could not get any other way I could understand.. but everything in the premium system can be purchased as an extra. if all you cared about were video games, a core system, hard drive, and hd cable would have had you playing and only cost you $40 more than the premium. not as good a deal, and a tad bit more expensive, but you could be playing the system right now instead of just complaining about it.

CamHostage

Pre-orders aren't policed. You don't even get a number on the ticket in most places. You used to see it all the time where a store will flip a system for the sale and leave the pre-order buyer waiting -- I don't know how bad that is now, but I have no doubt that it happens.

And pre-orders have nothing to do with allocations, so the stores that do take pre-orders are usually (as they are now) booked long past what they'll actually receive. Meanwhile, if you're lucky, you could head over to a Target or Wal-Mart or other mass store and walk out the door with one while everybody else is figuring out what to say to their crying kid on Christmas Day.

I wouldn't call pre-ordering a scam (now bundling, there's a scam), but it's not really what people think, that you're putting money in to be the first to own it. You are simply a number on a list for one store or outlet, and that list can be easily circumvented by shopping around.

Oni Jazar said:

Yeah, actually. A lot of stores will take your pre-order, but then they have a different system for the actual deposit.

koam said:
That's only people who pre-order too late. If you pre-order a PS3 or REV now, you'll get it at launch. If ever you decide that you don't want them, either get your money back or buy and ebay them.

They all could have pre-prdered in May and they still would have had to deal with 15 consoles. :lol

borghe

krypt0nian said:
They all could have pre-prdered in May and they still would have had to deal with 15 consoles. :lol
here's the beauty of the system. the people WON'T all pre-order in may. ;)

just like everyone on this forum who is ranting now WON'T pre-order rev and ps3 when those open.

but if even one or two people do, at least that is one or two people who can take advantage of the system. ;)

borghe said:
here's the beauty of the system. the people WON'T all pre-order in may. ;)

just like everyone on this forum who is ranting now WON'T pre-order rev and ps3 when those open.

but if even one or two people do, at least that is one or two people who can take advantage of the system. ;)

Totally agree. I have already reserved the PS3. But this topic is a false one.

If everyone pre-ordered in May, the same 15 people at my EB (the 1st 15) would have still been the only ones with 360's. :lol

Gio_CoD

Banned
This thread is absolutely retarded. The idea of preordering something is so a store knows how many to order. If EB got 200 preorders, they know they should order 200 units, and I don't doubt that the EBs tried to order 200 units. But what the fuck can they do when MS is like, "We're only shipping you twelve."

Pre-ordering needs to stop. Think about it, some kid pre-orders a system as soon as it becomes available to pre-order. Jump to the release date, and said kid doesn't have the money to pay for the system. The people who showed up at the store to buy the console on release day are turned away because they're all pre-sold out. But in actuality they haven't even sold a single console yet. You can't buy something that is not yet available.

3rdman

borghe said:
now THIS is what I seriously don't get. I understand wanting the premium pack over the core system.. but to have turned down the core system AND THEN complain about not getting a system. I mean if the premium system came with stuff you could not get any other way I could understand.. but everything in the premium system can be purchased as an extra. if all you cared about were video games, a core system, hard drive, and hd cable would have had you playing and only cost you $40 more than the premium. not as good a deal, and a tad bit more expensive, but you could be playing the system right now instead of just complaining about it.

I'm not complaining. But I assume you're referring to others here. It is also more expensive than 40 bucks.

HDD - $100.00
HD Cables - $40.00
Headset - $20.00
Remote - $30.00 (full remote, mini not available seperately)
Wireless Controller - $50.00 (It may come with a wired one, but in my house with cats that see cords as something to chew...ummm, no.)

Total is $240.00 !!! Now, you're right about how things would cost if all I cared about was being able to play. But, being a realist, I know that I will buy all these things and I'd simply rather not have to buy them seperately. Again, I'm really not complaining, it really is a matter of knowing what I want and being patient enough to wait for it. :)

krypt0nian said:
Totally agree. I have already reserved the PS3
Where? I didn't think it could be pre-ordered yet (at least at Gamestop/EB Games). I want to order PS3 ASAP to avoid another 360 scenario...

rusty said:
Where? I didn't think it could be pre-ordered yet (at least at Gamestop/EB Games). I want to order PS3 ASAP to avoid another 360 scenario...

Just like the 360 - I reserved before the SKU hit. My local GS manager just reserved a game and will shift it over once the SKU pops up. I'm #2 on the list.

borghe

3rdman said:
Total is $240.00
I didn't mean to imply that you could get the core system + extras for only a little more. I meant you could get a core system, hard drive, and connect it up to your HDTV for just a little more. the preimum system is a great deal, but if you just wanted to get into the "next-gen" the options were there for some.

To the people laughing at others who didn't pre-order at six months in advance: maybe they had better things to do at the time?

I also agree that pre-ordering is bullshit, at least the way it is conducted. If a person puts money down on a product in advance, then they should get the product, period. But companies like MS are more than happy to get people excited without delivering so long as they get their names in the headlines.

Stench

Banned
krypt0nian said:
Just like the 360 - I reserved before the SKU hit. My local GS manager just reserved a game and will shift it over once the SKU pops up. I'm #2 on the list.
They do that? Do you have to be buddy-buddy with the manager, or something?

Top Bottom