• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why The Foldable Phone revolution may end up replacing game consoles. (Samsung Galaxy Fold, Surface Phone, etc.)

Mihos

Gold Member
Convergence devices are not always a good thing. I don't think I will ever be on board with having all my eggs in one basket, tech wise.

mcz117chief

Re: phones. It's tempting to say that there will be a resurgence of a more simple smaller phone sized device. You're not going to want to be interrupted when using your all in one foldable tablet/laptop for all those other things. Carrying a wireless earpiece able to make calls and play music tethered to your system would be convenient. Or just a regular phone, lol.
I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say, sorry. Can you re-write that?

Saruhashi

Banned
You do know controllers are compatible with phones right?

I feel like this is a default stock answer when Phone is in the title.

Actually on further inspection some of these responses are reading only the title and not the OP. sigh.

Yes, controllers are compatible with phones but most people surely are playing their "big" games on a TV screen or monitor?
Probably less people are looking to prop their phone up and play using their DualShock.

So unless the phone acts as like a "hub" that is streaming to the TV it's not going to "replace" console gaming.

Getting PS4 power into a reliable, affordable, portable and not scorching hot package is a major challenge.
Even if that challenge is achieved then I am sure that PS5 would sit next to peoples TV as a far more powerful alternative to the handheld option.
Only streaming would maybe work to put an end to game consoles.

The only other possibility I see is that the AAA industry manages to suicide itself with a stream of big budget flops and has to make up for that by coming out with cheap but popular mobile games.

"All in one" devices tend to always do everything to an adequate level but not to a high standard.
Even basics like streaming a movie or listening to music on a phone is not the best way to consume that media.

Domisto

I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say, sorry. Can you re-write that?
When we start to get foldable tablets, people might not need their phone to be that smart anymore and will go back to having more basic cheaper phones to go alongside their new tech. Or some kind of new attachment. Foldable smart phones might ultimately kill the smart phone, lol.

Saruhashi

Banned
the rather high popularity of the Switch, despite its refusal to have any general-device features like streaming services or even a browser. I think people still enjoy gadgets that feel unique and tailored to their task, particularly when it involves games.

I think you might be on to something here. How many PS4s just became a Netflix and Youtube box because it's less hassle than loading up and playing a game?

mcz117chief

When we start to get foldable tablets, people might not need their phone to be that smart anymore and will go back to having more basic cheaper phones to go alongside their new tech. Or some kind of new attachment. Foldable smart phones might ultimately kill the smart phone, lol.
Ah, I see.

DZ_b_EZ

Laugh my ass off! What?? No. Consoles and PC will not be replaced by a horrible style of delivery, mechanics, and a rotten development of games at its core. At least not here in the U.S.

Hexa

As far as I can understand it, your argument is that due to folding phones phone hardware will suddenly become about as good as console hardware so due to various other advantages phones will then make consoles redundant. You say that phones will only be marginally behind consoles power wise and batteries will suddenly start getting much better... why?
The mobile to console power difference isn't just for the hell of it. Hardware in a small form factor will be weaker when power consumption and heat aren't an issue. The only reason it seemed close to possible for a bit is that consoles take forever to get better hardware, but with midcycle refreshes that's completely impossible.
And battery tech stagnation definitely isn't for a lack of trying. More money has probably gone into improving battery tech than anything else. It just hasn't produced results. A breakthrough will hopefully happen eventually, but this will be a non factor in that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom