• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why the hell don't more companies make ear "pods"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kvothe

I hate earbuds. I have never been able to be comfortable jamming something into my ear canal, no matter how small the earbud. But I LOVE Apple's ear "pods" which just rest in your outer ear and don't enter the canal. Other than Apple, I've found one company that makes a similar product: Amazon. They're cheaper than Apple, plenty comfortable, and sound good. But there's a nasty issue I've had with Amazon's product: the cord basically disintegrates after about a year of use. Why don't more companies make ear pods alongside earbuds?! I'd buy them!
amazon-headphones-earpods-1.png

The black ones are Amazon's, the white ones are Apple's.

Are you pro-earbud? Do you just go over the ear? Do you feel my pain?

I can deal with ear-pods like apple's but I can't do regular earbuds. I've never gotten them to stay in my ear. I have to either go with the "over the ear" sport-style buds or just go for regular ol cans on my head, which doesn't lend itself to activity.

Regiruler

Because they are immensely uncomfortable, have an awful sound quality, leak more sound to the outside than you actually get in your ear, and all around royally suck.

kvothe

I can deal with ear-pods like apple's but I can't do regular earbuds. I've never gotten them to stay in my ear. I have to either go with the "over the ear" sport-style buds or just go for regular ol cans on my head, which doesn't lend itself to activity.

I've totally forgotten about those ear-hook style buds. I used to wear those, too. They seem similarly rare to the earpod style, unlike the omnipresent earbud.

Ogodei

Those ones by apple do last forever. I found mine discarded on the ground a little over two years ago and they're still kicking, who knows how old they were before i found them.

entremet

Those things hurt my ears and they also fall out.

They are horrible.

I know they work well for some people but my ears are not shaped in a way that would make them effective.

kvothe

Because they royally suck and are immensely uncomfortable.

That's probably because there's just one company making the majority of them and they're all exactly the same. Maybe if some other companies joined in, there would be a model that better fit your ear.

Regiruler

Those ones by apple do last forever. I found mine discarded on the ground a little over two years ago and they're still kicking, who knows how old they were before i found them.

Is this a serious post?
All of the earpods from my siblings' phones don't last 6 months.
That's probably because there's just one company making the majority of them and they're all exactly the same. Maybe if some other companies joined in, there would be a model that better fit your ear.

They're a fundamentally flawed product. The immense dropoff in quality and sound control is not worth the marginally more comfortable feeling for the every 5th person that the model fits for.

Makonero

I can't run with earpods in, they fall right out. Earbuds for running, noise cancelling headphones for work, and whatever else whenever else.

Ogodei

Is this a serious post?

They're a fundamentally flawed product. The immense dropoff in quality and sound control is not worth the marginally more comfortable feeling for the every 5th person that the model fits for.

Serious so far. I found 'em at grad school and stashed 'em in my backpack, forgot about them for a few months and then started using them. Can't go back to other phones, though part of it is i'm reluctant to spend money on something i really only use for anime.

Toki767

I never find in-ear buds that actually fit in my ears. They're either too small or too big, so I do prefer ear pods.

- J - D -

I like the idea of these. They'd be perfect if covered with silicon or something, because the plastic ones always slip out of my ear.

The ear pods are far and away better than the old style Apple ear buds imo. They have also lasted way longer. Granted I don't use em everyday. Got IEMs for that, but they fit their purpose for me.

kvothe

Is this a serious post?

First, how loudly do your siblings listen to their music? My most recent pair I've had for probably two years now. I even put them through the washing machine and they still work completely fine.

Second, droppoff compared to what? Over the head earphones? There's no argument that you can get much better quality with over the head earphones but those aren't always the most practical for listening while being more active.

kris.

Banned
i've never found a pair of these that i can wear for more than an hour that don't cause my ears to hurt like a motherfucker. so uncomfortable. i can only do legit earbuds that enter your ear and have silicon tips or over-hear headphones.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
EarPods were uncomfortable for a while but I guess my ears changed shape somehow because they're ok now.

They don't sound as good as in-ear headphones that are perfectly situated, but when I'm moving around or working out they stay in place better and therefore sound pretty decent on average.

kirblar

Well, worth a shot, $10 on Amazon for a pair of these (Xcords w/ good reviews)

Hate buds, they hurt- hopefully these work for me.

Piecake

31-nuw-iqAL._SX355_.jpg

Easily the most comfortable things that I have owned. I have tried ear buds and tried those in ear headphones, but none of them fit, felt uncomfortable, and kept falling out.

The ones above are cheap as hell, sound pretty good, and are insanely comfortable

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Yep, I 100% agree witcha there OP. Apple's Earpods are amazing because they fit into my ear nicely, sound good, and don't block off the entire outside world when I'm wearing them.

DJ_Lae

They're better than the older style that every single portable device had through the 90s/00s, I guess.

fnpHtsw.jpg

Those things were an aural pear of fucking anguish, although the newer Apple ones aren't far behind.

TIeuAaD.jpg

Feels like my ear is going to tear open after wearing them for more than half an hour.

The sound quality is also worse than canal-type earbuds, and (more importantly for me) they cut absolutely no noise around. You do have to muck around with the included sizes of rubber pieces to get a good fit, but the result fits without as much pressure, there's less outside noise leaking in which means I don't have to listen to it as loud as I otherwise would.

snacknuts

we all knew her
My first taste of these was with the Galaxy S6 I got last year. I have long since ditched that phone, but I still use the pods every day at work.

I have no idea how people use those kinds of earbuds. Earpods and the headphones that Amazon make suck and never get in my ears. They don't comfortably sit in within falling out and it just isn't very comfortable to use over traditional in-earbuds.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Because they fucking suck.

You want to create a seal for SQ.

OP, have you tried the yellow sponge inserts instead or other types of tips than the oem provided ones?

Custom IEM's are another option, but those are expensive.

Ecto311

The $7 panasonics on Amazon and the Sony ones I have in my ears right now are great. They are in ear rubber tip buds though. I like the pods enough but these seal out other shit compared to pods that are a middle between over ear and pods as far as isolation. There are some garbage fitting buds though. The highly rated mono price ones never fit right and sound like shit.

When I was little in 3rd grade I remember putting a hat over my headphones and the sound being so much better so ear buds replicate this and I never had issues. Great for weed eating and mowing the lawn also. Wear buds at work and at home a ton so I might just be used to them though not sure.

The ones that came with my galaxy s7 ate the worst piece of shit ever, I can't even walk with them on for more than 5 minutes straight, they fall off way to easy.

Lmo911

Earpods cut into my ears and therefor suck. But then they also fall out of my ears all the time. How can they cut into my ears and not be secure at the same time!?

I love them. I don't want to block out the outside world and/or stick something in my ear canal. Can't really comment on sound quality because I primarily use them for podcasts, audio books and Howard Stern.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Because they are immensely uncomfortable, have an awful sound quality, leak more sound to the outside than you actually get in your ear, and all around royally suck.

Yup. Fuck pods they're the worst kind of headphone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom