• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why the NFL and direct TV deal screws NFL fans in the USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gatti-man

do you live in Arizona?

anyway, it just reflects poorly on the NFL. I'm sure there is more money to be made offering it to everyone as well as selling online options then to continue this DTV charade.

I have dtv and almost never lose a signal. Over the three years Ive lost a show 1 time. Im sure its cut off when Im not at home but its only affected viewing one measely time. Thats totally worth it for pq and aq far superior to cable and better than dish.

I'm a huge NFL fan, but even I'm done with their pricing. I hope it catches up to them fast, but I doubt it will. People gotta have their football.

As for Directv quality, I've had it for over a decade and cant complain. Barring a massive snowstorm, I never lose signal. Past 3 years I've called up to see what they can do for someone that wants the NFL but doesnt want to pay 300+ bucks and they've given me the Redzone channel each year for free. If you're a Directv member for 5+ years, the CSR told me it's on their list of things to offer you if you threaten to leave them.

do you live in Arizona?

anyway, it just reflects poorly on the NFL. I'm sure there is more money to be made offering it to everyone as well as selling online options then to continue this DTV charade.

I live in the DC area.

I guess I could see the dropouts being a bigger deal if I lived somewhere in Florida where thunderstorms were a daily occurence. However, I had DirecTV for 3-4 years and can count the number of drop outs on one hand. I think the max amount of time I lost signal was ~3 minutes.

That's much better than losing cable/FiOS for a few days after a huge storm comes through and screws up the cable lines (this happened during our big storm back in May/June)

Lkr

They play many times the number of games yet it costs less than half. Bandwidth and backend stuff doesn't cost the same when you show less games.

the cost isn't because of bandwidth and backend, the cost is based on demand. nfl regular season games are much more valuable per game since there are less of them.

KHarvey16

the cost isn't because of bandwidth and backend, the cost is based on demand. nfl regular season games are much more valuable per game since there are less of them.

The math works out that each game in the MLB, assuming a $125 cost, is 5.1 cents. Each game in the NFL, assuming a $300 fee, is $1.17. That's over 20 times more.

Davedough

I embrace my inner scumbag.

I've been a direcTV customer for over 10 years. Every single year I call up and bitch about them giving away Sunday Ticket to new subscribers but screwing the loyal people like me. I get red faced, scream and bitch and by the end of the call, I have free Sunday Ticket. Works every year.

notevenashamed.gif

Dead Man

I've been a direcTV customer for over 10 years. Every single year I call up and bitch about them giving away Sunday Ticket to new subscribers but screwing the loyal people like me. I get red faced, scream and bitch and by the end of the call, I have free Sunday Ticket. Works every year.

notevenashamed.gif

Nor should you be.

hlhbk

notevenashamed.gif

Classy.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
The math works out that each game in the MLB, assuming a $125 cost, is 5.1 cents. Each game in the NFL, assuming a $300 fee, is $1.17. That's over 20 times more.

And right now NFL is much more popular than MLB. It is capitalism at work. Higher demand usually means higher price.

KHarvey16

It's much higher than that. It's funny that regular season games that go up against MLB Playoffs and World Series more often than not beat them in ratings.

Not even close. A playoff series can account for almost half the number of games for an NFL teams regular season schedule.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
its amazing how expensive it is compared to other streaming sports packages.

Chili

Not even close. A playoff series can account for almost half the number of games for an NFL teams regular season schedule.

Isn't that the issue? With only 16 games per year, people feel compelled to watch every single one of their team's games. If the Redskins were playing hundreds of games a year I probably wouldn't be as crazy about missing most of them. But at only 16 I need to watch every play. And that's why people pay so much more for less content.

You're comparing nationally televised playoff games with locally televised regular season NFL games? I'm comparing primetime NFL regular season games to MLB playoff games. NFL wins. 2 years ago when the Yankees were playing the Rangers there was a lousy MNF game between Jacksonville and Tenn. The NFL game trounced it.

red13th

Here in Brazil:

LavBg.jpg

R$2 = 1 dollar.

KHarvey16

You're comparing nationally televised playoff games with locally televised regular season NFL games? I'm comparing primetime NFL regular season games to MLB playoff games. NFL wins. 2 years ago when the Yankees were playing the Rangers there was a lousy MNF game between Jacksonville and Tenn. The NFL game trounced it.

Primetime and monday night NFL games are national.

Davedough

You cheat the system and are abusive towards their phone reps. At a company I used to work at before we would have divorced you as a customer.

That's fine. Then I'd sign up as a new customer and get NFL Sunday Ticket for free anyway.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

and yet all those games combined dont match the ratings of one primetime game from the NFL, even if its shitty teams playing in the NFL.

TheContact

My friend just bought the local channels for other cities like NY and Boston, he added it to his line for like 6 bucks a month. He just watches the games "locally"

These things are a total rip off though, but I did buy the NFL Rewind subscription because I like to study the opponents

maxxpower

I don't have cable but I do have a tv and a ps3, does anyone know if I can watch the "free" broadcast games with the sunday ticket app for the ps3?(I tried an antenna for my tv and it didn't pick up Fox, CBS, or NBC)

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Not by a factor of 20.
ok you got us on semantics, who gives a shit, the NFL regular season games routinely crush MLB playoff games.

You cheat the system and are abusive towards their phone reps. At a company I used to work at before we would have divorced you as a customer.

how is it cheating the system if they knowingly agree and say ok here you go? I call every year after credits run out, im not a prick about it i usually just tell them politely that its too expensive for us, and they give me credits typically for another year.

KHarvey16

ok you got us on semantics, who gives a shit, the NFL regular season games routinely crush MLB playoff games.

Lol, semantics? That number was the whole point. NFL streaming is offered for a ridiculous price given what other leagues offer.

plc268

Look at the cost of MLB.tv or NHL GameCenter, then realize how many more games you get for so much less money.

Damn.

Yup, and I understand that each nfl game carries more weight than games from other leagues, but it doesn't explain why they charge 3x as much.

But there's always someone willing to pay, I guess.

Look at the cost of MLB.tv or NHL GameCenter, then realize how many more games you get for so much less money.

Damn.

It's all about quality. One weekend of NFL games is more valuable than a full season of MLB and the NHL. When you're the #1 sport in the country, you get away with overpricing shit I guess.

hlhbk

That's fine. Then I'd sign up as a new customer and get NFL Sunday Ticket for free anyway.

If you were divorced as a customer your name, address, phone number, and everything about you would be blocked, you couldn't buy anything else from DTV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom