• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why wasn't Destiny's voice talent advertised?

I wish Nathan Fillion was the voice of the ghost. You can replace all the other character voices with aspiring voice actors. Just let me have a space cowboy Ghost that says things with some more personality. Or give Fillion a better role than sitting in the tower. He delivers his lines the best, probably because he actually likes his role. This is the third Bungie game he's been in.

I just want more of his voice in particular. Using Buck in Reach Firefight was great.

Bam, said the lady!

PooBone

What a fucking waste of a voice cast. This game boggles the mind, how so much money can be spent on something that is so small and has so little content/characters/story.

Because advertising's expensive ya'll!

Other than a pretty lackluster performance, I think Ghost doesn't work because of poor planning (or, again, last minute changes).

For example, I was playing the Daily Heroic Story yesterday, which had me on Mars fighting the Cabal. At one point, Ghost/Dinklage exclaims (in a pretty frenzied tone): "I'm getting a massive energy surge and it's NOT Cabal! Keep pushing on!"

Nothing wrong with that, except:
-It's a reference to the Vex, I guess? Which have already appeared in the mission, so they're not a surprise. In fact, it makes this line confusing.
-It's spoken during a lull in the action. So you're not really pushing anything, you're just walking through the mission.

pixlexic

Banned
What a fucking waste of a voice cast. This game boggles the mind, how so much money can be spent on something that is so small and has so little content/characters/story.

Because advertising's expensive ya'll!

My thoughts are that there was a whole story element that got trashed at the last min.

Other than a pretty lackluster performance, I think Ghost doesn't work because of poor planning (or, again, last minute changes).

For example, I was playing the Daily Heroic Story yesterday, which had me on Mars fighting the Cabal. At one point, Ghost/Dinklage exclaims (in a pretty frenzied tone): "I'm getting a massive energy surge and it's NOT Cabal! Keep pushing on!"

Nothing wrong with that, except:
-It's a reference to the Vex, I guess? Which have already appeared in the mission, so they're not a surprise. In fact, it makes this line confusing.
-It's spoken during a lull in the action. So you're not really pushing anything, you're just walking through the mission.
My favorite: "Good luck (getting through the extraction zone...)"
> hops on sparrow gets through extraction zone in 5 seconds.

El-Suave

I've come around a bit on Destiny, but the story is still a major disappintment. You don't hype up your weakest aspect during your advertising campaign if you have other qualities and you also don't do it when your main star has been criticized for his performance already. The other talent basically have no characters to play and their contribution is equal to that of a voicemail message.
The only thing that REALLY baffled me about Destiny's star power is that they didn't play the stylish credits with the rather nice Paul McCartney song after you finish the "story". I'm pretty sure I didn't skip anything and I had to google how to access the credits after I was done. Money well spent...

Astral

Holiday or however you spell it was great. It sounded like she just didn't give a fuck during the patrol missions, like me. This game made me almost hate Peter Dinklage though.

"Be careful. Its power is dark."

MisterTom

Neo Member
Having played through the story, my guess is because despite the good cast, there's still no voice talent. Really disappointing for me personally, because I like Dinklage a lot. Best case scenario is that all the actors signed a multi-game deal or the franchise, and that the next Destiny installment is actually entertaining and interesting.

angrygnat

Other than Dinklage I can't recall many of the lines recited by the other actors. They are just such throw away lines delivered so passively. When you watch the actors in TLOU deliver their lines, you can see passion in their faces. Emotion. That's because they had some kind of preparation. There was a story. A motivation behind their lines. The actors understood the meaning behind what they were saying. In Destiny there's a really good possibility that the actors had no idea what they were reading for. They had no idea what they were talking about or what they were doing in the story. Then you have the ambient voices that just seem to come from nowhere. Like when you're walking around in the tower. The exchange between the actors in The Reef is the closest Destiny got to really good voice acting. The instant that story began to unfold I was like "YES! Finally! Something we can sink our teeth into!" But just as quickly as it started it was over. Personally I like the way Dinklage voiced the Ghost. He just needed more support. If they had advertised the list of voice actors and then released what was ultimately given to us, peoples heads would have exploded.

Overboost

Cmon, Dinklage maybe, everyone else is certainly not dogshit.

The hyperbole around destiny is insane.

Agreed. The delivery is just fine for most of the lines, there just aren't many of them (yet). Fillion and Reddick are especially solid, and I'm pretty sure they'll have more lines in the two story expansions coming soon -- and hopefully more beyond that, since they're fairly important characters that you hear from during missions, patrols, and Vanguard transactions.

Top Bottom