• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why would DICE model BF6 on BF3 and not BF4?

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
According to leaks DICE has used BF3 as an inspiration for BF6. I have pondered this for a few weeks and I honestly can't think of one thing that BF3 has that bf4 doesn't either have, or does better. I have played both extensively over the years, and I can't fathom why EA would ignore the improvements in BF4. That said, they are functionally the same game, with bf4 having better netcode, more weapon variety, and levelution. There are those that feel bf3 had weightier gunplay and I can sort of agree with that, but if I am being honest I think DICE actually did a good job on the BF5 gunplay and would rather have a modern version of that for BF6.

Is this just DICE talking about BF3 because that game sold more than BF4 and thus wanting to tie BF6 to a more popular name?

Last edited:
It wasn't buggy on day one, for starters. Battlefield 3 is just classic, I don't think it has 60Hz servers but there'd be no BF4 if they didn't use BF3 as a base.

Levolution was a gimmick, if anything Battlefield 3 had even more destruction and, even without the "blue filter", it still was a more thought-out, well-designed game. BF4's Rush was terrible in comparison to BC2's and BF3's.

Minus the M16... and campers... and being addicted to TDM on Noshahr Canals...

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
because BF3 was the better game. BF4 sucked. i only played it for the BF3 maps. i can only hope BF6 is the true BF3 sequel instead of that garbage we got in BF4.

what i'd kill for is a game based on BF2 with tweaked BF3 maps to suit a slower + more strategic kind of gameplay. i loved the shit out of BF3 but it felt a bit dumbed down compared to BF2. i can totally understand though if they want to stick with BF3 gameplay. it's not BF2 but it's still damn good and fun.

Last edited:
Because they're dumb.

If they were smarter it'd be based on BFBC2, but hey, never mind. Apparently they forgot that game ever existed.
I never understood the hype behind BC2, I thought the gunplay was pretty mediocre actually.

My first BF after 1942 on pc was BC2. I didn't really like it. I did play it on console though. Then I got bf3 and 4 on Pc. I enjoyed them both more. I don't really get the hype for bc2.
Great minds think alike lol!

Must have needed to play it at the time it released (well, I did... but not much) to understand, because IMO 3 and 4 are the superior games. I'll download it now that I have a high end laptop.

Last edited:

Perrott

I have to agree with you OP.

Siege of Shanghai its already better than all of Battlefield 3 combined.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

BC2 was simply more fun on the PS360. Because the regular BF games were scaled down heavily, which made maps like Caspian Border a complete waste of time. Good lucking getting into a firefight with that player count lol.

I played BC2 for about a year with the same group of friends, and it was a blast. We all maxed our rank, and got all insignias. I just loved the maps in that game, such as the harbor and white pass. I just hated Heavy Metal because it suffered from the same stuff most BF3 maps on PS360 suffered from.

mcz117chief

BC2 was fun until Battlefield 3 came out, then that became the better game. I still think Battlefield 2 is overall the best game though. A ton of attention to detail, like flares creating false targets instead of just breaking lock. A lot of cool classes, engineer, spec ops, sniper, medic, anti-tank, support. The maps are great and varied and vehicles were fun and decently balanced. Aircraft were strong as hell but so was anti-air which was everywhere. Aircraft launcher anti-tank missiles were basically one hit kills but it still felt fair considering how fragile planes were and how much aa was available to players, same goes for helicopters, very strong but easily countered. Aircraft and helicopters in 3 felt extremely weak. Anti-tank missiles did pitiful damage and anti-air missiles were extremely easy to dodge or break lock with flares/ecm since they worked 100% of the time. The best weapons for planes were unguided rockets against everything and mg against everything again. Every other weapon on a plane was a massive nerf to yourself. Ground combat in 3 is pretty much as good as 2, only the sounds were a bit more annoying in 3. Battlefield 1 is the only modern one that I enjoyed. I won't mention 2142 too much because that is another big topic and I have basically given up hope of ever seeing a sequel to it. Kind of a rant I guess, but I am cautiously awaiting the next Battlefield.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
A couple of yall have said BF3 is better but haven't given reasons why (Some have).

BF3 had worse netcode than bf4, and when bf4 was stabilized it became an amazing game. I played both (On PC) and remember bf3 having lots of balance issues. Flying was better in BF3 though. BC2 was good for rush, but conquest is a superior mode and BF3 and 4 do that much better.

BC2 remains one of the most overrated fps games ever. The bullet sponginess of that game was so annoying I was forced to play hardcore servers.

It wasn't buggy on day one, for starters. Battlefield 3 is just classic, I don't think it has 60Hz servers but there'd be no BF4 if they didn't use BF3 as a base.

Levolution was a gimmick, if anything Battlefield 3 had even more destruction and, even without the "blue filter", it still was a more thought-out, well-designed game. BF4's Rush was terrible in comparison to BC2's and BF3's.

Minus the M16... and campers... and being addicted to TDM on Noshahr Canals...

Current BF4 is in really good shape. I base my view on these games on how they are in 2021, not how they were at launch.

Rush should be removed honestly...breakthrough is way more fun (BF5's was awesome). Conquest should always be the main mode and I would be okay with it being the ONLY mode. Rush is only fun on defense, as an attacker its getting killed by campers (aka defenders) 24/7.

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
As an aside, I played bf4 for the first time in a year last night. Within two matches I was top of the leaderboard with a 2.5 K/D ratio. Best game was 40somthing kills. Not bad for playing infantry with starter guns and being rusty! Game plays like a dream on PC. Gonna play more tonight, 60hz servers FTW!

Last edited:
I think BF3 was better in a lot of ways. Better audio, better gunplay and better hit registration. In BF4 I constantly get insta-killed, and your bullets will disappear when using a shotgun. In BF3 you could see every hit you take, and shotguns were actually useful.

FMX

I think that people forget that once they ironed everything out after the launch, BF4 became great. It was the superior BF game.

Does it matter? BF3 and BF4 are not that far removed from each other. BF4 just built on the base that was BF3. There were slight nuances of differences, but it’s not like they were radically different games. Saying your taking influence from 3 probably just signals that you are probably trying to invoke that era of BF games.

Personally, BF3 and 4 are great games to me. 3’s bade maps were kind of meh, but the DLC was excellent. 4’s base maps were great and it’s DLC was ok. Both did certain things over the other, but both were good.

BC2 will be the game I never understand the love. Beyond maybe being the first time they seemingly got the feeling right on consoles. The level design was awful. Some of the worst conquest ever. Shit levels. Shit scale. I never want a return of that.

EDMIX

Semeantics. They are simply saying 3 because those features can be found in 4. I don't think they mean NOTHING from 4 will be found, it would be like saying if the said Bad Company and be like "woooooow why would dice model bf6 on Bad Company and not Bad Company 2?"

Dolomite Dolomite nah, I think they mean because that is when that change happens and BF3 and 4 are alike in many areas, I don't think its some either or. BF3 starts that shift as BF4 is modeled from 3, would be pointless to say BF3 and BF4 when saying BF3 very much implies things they like in 4 will be included too.

I don't think they mean ONLY FEATURES from BF3 and NOTHNG else, unlikely.

Cherry Sonoshee Cherry Sonoshee Pretty much. I think they just mean the base of BF3 which clearly can be found in BF4, its simply redundent to be like "modeled from BF2, BF3, BF4, sprinkle of Bad Company 2, but not 1" etc. I don't even understand why gamers read shit so literally. I don't believe they mean BF3 and NOT 4, I think they simply mean the BASE that is BF3, which clearly can be found in 4. So I'm 99.9% sure you'll see features from BF1, BF4, BFV etc. Modeled after doesn't mean excluding all others, gamers seem to think in this fucking weird narrow scope.

Last edited:
Like other posters have said, BF4 came out the gate shaky, but it eventually ironed out and after that, I can say I enjoyed it more than BF3 - just my opinion, not discounting other opinions.

I do think DICE has a lot of issues they need to iron out internally based on the little I've seen from developers - it sounds like there's a lot of internal confusion, and being part of EA certainly doesn't help (fuck EA).

A couple of yall have said BF3 is better but haven't given reasons why (Some have).

BF3 had worse netcode than bf4, and when bf4 was stabilized it became an amazing game. I played both (On PC) and remember bf3 having lots of balance issues. Flying was better in BF3 though. BC2 was good for rush, but conquest is a superior mode and BF3 and 4 do that much better.

BC2 remains one of the most overrated fps games ever. The bullet sponginess of that game was so annoying I was forced to play hardcore servers.

Current BF4 is in really good shape. I base my view on these games on how they are in 2021, not how they were at launch.

Rush should be removed honestly...breakthrough is way more fun (BF5's was awesome). Conquest should always be the main mode and I would be okay with it being the ONLY mode. Rush is only fun on defense, as an attacker its getting killed by campers (aka defenders) 24/7.
Both are very simple games but I just think BF3 takes a slight edge over BF4 because of map design and "meta".

elco

According to leaks DICE has used BF3 as an inspiration for BF6. I have pondered this for a few weeks and I honestly can't think of one thing that BF3 has that bf4 doesn't either have, or does better. I have played both extensively over the years, and I can't fathom why EA would ignore the improvements in BF4. That said, they are functionally the same game, with bf4 having better netcode, more weapon variety, and levelution. There are those that feel bf3 had weightier gunplay and I can sort of agree with that, but if I am being honest I think DICE actually did a good job on the BF5 gunplay and would rather have a modern version of that for BF6.

Is this just DICE talking about BF3 because that game sold more than BF4 and thus wanting to tie BF6 to a more popular name?
Squad spawn mechanics.

BigBooper

Smaller maps for better performance, so they can release BF7 after they have more experience with the new hardware, and they don't have to make it cross generational perhaps?

If that's the case though, I'm definitely skipping. I hated the close quarters gunfights of BF3.

Top Bottom