• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why You Should Buy A PS3 (Backwards Compatible) With A PS5 - Mystic

Bryank75

Banned
YLOD can be fixed? I thought all fixes were temporary.

If Sony did get his act together just a little bit, we could have 4 generations in 1 right now.
Yes, it was solved recently.... it's an NEC chip. He outlines it in the video.

This option will give you 5 generations, almost fully. Whereas Xbox is spotty, it doesn't have many games for the OG Xbox for instance as Mystic says.

Last edited:

Matsuchezz

I am looking for a PS3 that can play retro games, I wonder if the PS5 BR drive can read old PSX and PS2 games, it probably doesn't play CDs. I really do not care for licensed games,

Bryank75

Banned
Oh yeah. I recently put a 500gb SSD in my PS3 for this very reason. I love my old shiny & curvy PS3.
My PS3 is dead but now I'm going to check the NEC chip and if that works, I'll do the same as you and get an SSD. Completely worth it.
Missed a load of games on PS3...

sublimit

Banned
I already have 2 PS3s (3 if i include my first Phat one that i intend to fix one day) but none of them are BC. Still even if they were i prefer playing my physical PS1/PS2 games on my PS2 which i have connected to a CRT tv.

Last edited:

The Shepard

The fat 60gb ps3 was the Rolls Royce of video games consoles. Still have mine in working order along with the first slim revision. Had no idea they solved the ylod as stated above, it always put me off using it and it's why I brought the slim.

SEGA_2012

PS Triple is one of the best things that ever happened to humanity

a_MBag.gif

SNG32

PS3 and PS5 is great and I have this combo in addition to a Vita or Vita Tv. But PC+PS5 is even better You got Atari all the way up to PS3 and Nintendo Switch. As well as all current Xbox one and Series X games to access from.

Last edited:

Banned
I am looking for a PS3 that can play retro games, I wonder if the PS5 BR drive can read old PSX and PS2 games, it probably doesn't play CDs. I really do not care for licensed games,
hardware side, every Blu-ray drive can read CDs and DVDs. they could even read Dreamcast GDs.

Quasicat

I bought a used PS3 in January 2020 and had to return it due to a bad power supply, plus the controller was a cheap 3rd party piece of crap. When the first stimulus package happened last spring, I bought a sealed Super Slim and it is awesome, even though I dropped $400 on it. It was a bit of a gamble since we didn’t know the BC for the PS5 yet, but I knew I wanted to be able to redownload my PS1, PS2 and PS3 library while there were still new systems available.

RPSleon

This option will give you 5 generations, almost fully. Whereas Xbox is spotty, it doesn't have many games for the OG Xbox for instance as Mystic says.
Oh shit. I own a broken original ps3! Gonna fix that bad boy!

Banned

funnily enough tho it plays PS2 and especially PS1 pretty well lol.

it should be possible to bring the PS3 core to it as well... so maybe in the future the Series X will be the superior PS3 in a way xD

skit_data

I delidded and replaced the thermal paste on the GPU of my old phat PS3 40GB but i dared not touch the Cell.

Ive been looking for the phat 60 GB one for a while, sometimes people sell them for way less than theyre actually worth in the eyes of us fanatics.

I'm honestly baffled we live in a time and age where the community manages to find solutions and make better content than a supposedly professional industry.

Last edited:

SNG32

it should be possible to bring the PS3 core to it as well... so maybe in the future the Series X will be the superior PS3 in a way xD

It's going to be awhile before they make a PS3 core. Because on PC alot of games have to be configured to run on there own settings or you have to have a really amazing cpu to brute force the performance. Right now a 9900K i9 is the deal processor to use for alot of games on RPCS3 is the cpu in the xbox even as strong as that?

David B

An Idiot
YLOD can be fixed? I thought all fixes were temporary.

If Sony did get his act together just a little bit, we could have 4 generations in 1 right now.
The PS3 fat 20 and 60GB models worked even after a failure red light and the yellow light. The CPU has to be put back on the motherboard and than thermal paste on top to connect the heat sink. I have a working PS3 60GB original launch console where I paid a guy to re thermal paste it and packed some holes in the bottom and put it some half inch poles in the corners for better breathing in cool air. But really I don't use it as it could still YLOD and fail on me at any time.

Durask

I sold my first-gen PS3 once I admitted to myself that I will never play any PS3 games that I may have left unfinished/never played.

ZoukGalaxy

Gold Member
Yeah, like if it was an easy task to find a brand new original PS3. What a joke and poor clickbait video.

Better buy a PC and emulate all this. Smarter choice, PS3 emulation is getting better constantly.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

But Xbox BC is greatly enhanced. Games look like ports to current consoles, that's how good they look.

I had a PS3 recently (sold it last year), it did not age this well. This generation of consoles aged pretty bad in my opinion.
I just got through playing Resistance FoM and AssCreed 2 on it and they still looked good, sometimes great.

cireza

I just got through playing Resistance FoM and AssCreed 2 on it and they still looked good, sometimes great.
My main grip is that they look like 720p games at 30fps (which most of the games of this gen were), and when you got used to 1080p@60fps, it is very difficult to go back to this.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

My main grip is that they look like 720p games at 30fps (which most of the games of this gen were), and when you got used to 1080p@60fps, it is very difficult to go back to this.
Resistance runs pretty tight, but AssCreed gets clunky, sometimes chunky. I feel you there.

Patrick S.

Banned
PS3s can be modded without the need for getting a firmware downgrade done with a hardware flasher now. The custom firmware allows for PS2 emulation on any PS3 (except the ultra slim, IIRC), so having a fat PS3 isn't a requirement anymore! I do have a PS2 compatible 60GB fatty, but I put the CFW on it anyway, for the added convenience of being able to rip the games onto it and not having to deal with discs.

HE1NZ

Banned
No. Not sure about PS2 games, but PS1 games on PS3 run with input lag that makes them appear sluggish.

cireza

Resistance runs pretty tight, but AssCreed gets clunky, sometimes chunky. I feel you there.
Yeah, I did not mean to kill the enjoyment of people using PS3 for various reasons in this topic :)
It's actually awesome to find good use to the millions of old consoles out there in the wild, that represent a ton of wasted resources if nobody uses them anymore. I tend to cling to my old stuff because of this, and don't replace things often at all. Still have my CRT, MegaDrive, Saturn, Xbox OG etc...

fart town usa

Gold Member
I read the title as a PS3 being able to play PS5 games.

Everyone should own a PS3, it really is a fantastic system and arguably the one of the best media devices of all time. It's compatible with pretty much everything as far as I know in terms of file formats. Love mine, still use it all the time.

Not going to lie i'd love to have one, but first I need an original Xbox more importantly. For Ps3 games I will just use Rcps3 when it matures.

And dear lord, the prices people want for their old 60gb phat on ebay are insanity.

Radical_3d

Lost my OG PS3 to a RLOD. A rare. Anyways I shouldn’t have to buy shit. My PS5 is powerful enough to run all 5 generations. Sony must put their stuff together.

Last edited:

drotahorror

Fck dat noise, just going to build a mini PC with a good APU as my ultimate retro machine; this one looks good

Can't wait for the 5000g apu

And maybe in a decade you can play most ps3 games acceptably. I get that great work is happening towards PS3 emulation but it's lacking like crazy right now as well.

Cannot wait for the day I can play the Motorstorm games 6 60fps .

Gamerguy84

I wish I would have kept my fatty when it failed but I dumped it. Not necessarily for BC but just to have it working.

I do have a slim sitting out. It's powered and only needs hdmi cord plugged in and it's up. I have everything but an original PS1.

Bryank75

Banned

That's a good point, PS3 is fairly complicated though.

Trophy support would be a big part of wanting this too though I think.

kyliethicc

Sony could just build a new "PlayStation Classic" console that plays every PS3 PS2 PS1 game. Sell it as its own unique retro collector system. No need to rebuy games.

Build a simple UI and OS thats super minimal but connects to PSN. Give users 3 themes for the home screen UI to pick from that look like the classic PS1 / PS2 / PS3 home screen UIs.

Give it a chip that can run PS1 PS2 PS3 games and the needed RAM.
500 GB HDD and BD DVD CD drive. 2 USB ports.
DualShock 3 controller, cables.

Sell it for like $250.

It wouldn't interest me, as I don't own any PS123 games, but some do.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
PS3 is still a good choice for any gamer. Games are dirt cheap, free online and the library is arguably better than PS4. You can get hundreds of hours of enjoyment out of it.

Still makes a nice media center as well, and can play blu-rays.

sol_bad

I still have my 60gig NTSC PS3 so seeing if some local repair places can fix it properly. Thanks for creating this topic as I had no idea the YLOD had been fixed permanently.
:)

Top Bottom