Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I'm just misreading entirely, but the gist of the question was something that could have made a large difference in the course of the Wii - I don't think Steam is what they're talking about. The first thing that jumped to mind is Facebook for Nintendo. I guess we'll see come E3.
 
Exclusive leakage on Loading.se




[Partly in English. I'll translate the rest.]

Exclusively for Loading.se, A source close to Nintendo has all the information regarding the company's next home console.

June 7th is the date that everyone has been waiting for. Nintendo unveils their next home console at E3 in Los Angeles. But Loading can already now reveal some of the hottest (and most trustworthy) rumors about the machine. This is all we got to know about Nintendo Feel.

Our source, who has a close connection to the company, speaks about the console in a conversation with us. We choose to deliver the information unedited and untranslated [from Eng to Swe]:

– Nintendo wants to change the way we play – again. The success of Wii was essentially proof that the controller is every bit as important as graphical technology. When Nintendo unveils its next piece of hardware on June 7th, the presentation will be as much about the feel, as the look, of its new games. The revolutionary aspect will once again be found in the controller itself.

After Touch comes Feel
We already know Nintendo is developing a controller with a built-in screen. Since that info got leaked there have been paralels between Apple's iPad and how Nintendo used the GBA as a controller for a few Gamecube-games. But this new "Screen-controller" brings another dimension - Feel. Our source uses the name "Nintendo Feel"

– Haptic technology is a form of tactile feedback used to simulate the experience of touching different objects shown on screen. The player can move their fingertips across a surface and clearly feel the difference between soft, smooth or rugged textures. Electronic companies across the world have been conducting research in this field for years. It’s been rumored that Apple is close to patenting a similar technology, and we’ve seen the Toshiba demonstration of ‘New Sensation UI Solution’, that applies a thin film over a screen in order to achieve a haptic effect. In Nintendo’s case, this is a natural progression of both the Nintendo DS touch screen and the Wii technology.

Hardcore meets Casual
After having recieved the information on Nintendo Feel from our source we have gotten confirmation that the technology exists. Toshiba seems to have shown it to the public and we have had a Novint Falcon in the office for a long time. Novint was one of the first companies to introduce haptic feedback to the gaming world.

According to our source the work for the new console has been going on for a few years, and throughout this whole time the goal has been to create an as direct and easy-to-understand concept as the Wii.

– You have to try Nintendo Feel to really understand. But the idea itself is very easy to sell, no matter if you are aiming for hardcore players or the wider audience that was first introduced to games through DS, Wii or Kinect.

And sure, anyone can suddenly realize the feeling of fur agains the fingertips would do for Nintendogs. You don't have to be unfamiliar to The Legend of Zelda to understand the epicness in drawing patterns in a desert, feeling the breeze from a lake, the burning sensation from lava or realizing the structure of a very old tree.

At the same time, Nintendo Feel is an experience that doesn't want to explain itself in words, but rather tell the player through his hands. Which is probably why Nintendo will bring playable demos to E3, even tho the finished console won't be available until 2012.

All visions in one

Nintendo Feel is on many levels a summary of all the grand visions Nintendo has had during the latest gaming generation. Starting with the Rumble Pack for the Nintendo 64, Nintendo gave the player physical feedback through the controller, and 2006 they started the concept "Touch Generations" to marked the Wii and DS to a whole new audience. If we get to see a "Feel Generations" marketing remains to be seen, but one thing is sure: The new console is an extension of the idea of more intuitive controllmethods.

Also the individual screens revived the "Connectivity" concept launched during the Gamecube/GBA era. A concept that never got the impact Nintendo was hoping for. Our source says:

– Remember Vitality Sensor? It will most likely make a comeback at this year’s E3, though not as a peripheral for Wii, but as a key feature of Nintendo Feel.

And yet another puzzlepiece.

END

Some notes from me:

Don't put too much attention to the name. It could just be a name that developers are calling it for all we know. Nowhere in the article does it clearly say "This IS the name".

Loading.se is a very reliable news source. They would never intend to decieve people. It is more likely they got wrong info, but even that sounds farfetched. Compared to the other rumors flying around, I'd say this is the best lead we got. This is coming from an avid user.
 
Nice if they go with the haptic touchscreen in my opinion. But can you really feel cold and warm? I thought it only works with structures.

Edit: those double e sure are smiling like a troll :D
 
1-D_FTW said:
I still don't get what the incentive would be for Valve. Unless they're running the store and getting 30 percent (which would never happen), I don't see what their incentive would be. It would have to be because Nintendo is paying them a large contract to run it. Is that enough to divert resources from Steam when Valve would have no ownership in its growth? It would have to be an eye-popping number.

And I can't see Nintendo giving too much control of their DD system either.

I agree Nintendo should poney up a truckload of cash and just hire Valve to implement/run Steamworks as the default online system. It would be a brilliant coup and would overnight allow Nintendo to have the best online infrastructure. Just don't see Nintendo being humble enough to pay Valve what it would require.

I have no doubt Valve games on Stream would use Steamworks, I just can't see Nintendo doing what's necessary for all games to use it.
If it makes sense for gamespy or some other external company why not for Valve? They already provide steamworks integration for free to PC developers, the titles don't even have to be available through the steam store.
 
Majine said:
Exclusive leakage on Loading.se




[Partly in English. I'll translate the rest.]

Exclusively for Loading.se, A source close to Nintendo has all the information regarding the company's next home console.

June 7th is the date that everyone has been waiting for. Nintendo unveils their next home console at E3 in Los Angeles. But Loading can already now reveal some of the hottest (and most trustworthy) rumors about the machine. This is all we got to know about Nintendo Feel.

Our source, who has a close connection to the company, speaks about the console in a conversation with us. We choose to deliver the information unedited and untranslated [from Eng to Swe]:

– Nintendo wants to change the way we play – again. The success of Wii was essentially proof that the controller is every bit as important as graphical technology. When Nintendo unveils its next piece of hardware on June 7th, the presentation will be as much about the feel, as the look, of its new games. The revolutionary aspect will once again be found in the controller itself.

After Touch comes Feel
We already know Nintendo is developing a controller with a built-in screen. Since that info got leaked there have been paralels between Apple's iPad and how Nintendo used the GBA as a controller for a few Gamecube-games. But this new "Screen-controller" brings another dimension - Feel. Our source uses the name "Nintendo Feel"

– Haptic technology is a form of tactile feedback used to simulate the experience of touching different objects shown on screen. The player can move their fingertips across a surface and clearly feel the difference between soft, smooth or rugged textures. Electronic companies across the world have been conducting research in this field for years. It’s been rumored that Apple is close to patenting a similar technology, and we’ve seen the Toshiba demonstration of ‘New Sensation UI Solution’, that applies a thin film over a screen in order to achieve a haptic effect. In Nintendo’s case, this is a natural progression of both the Nintendo DS touch screen and the Wii technology.

[Updating asap]
You don't really have to update. More BS. What I find funny is many of these new rumors are recycled rumors that people spend so much time debating before Wii was revealed.

Nintendo isn't including multi-touch, but haptics is a go? Sure. This controller is using basic parts so that it can be sold for under 100 dollars and still have a profit margin.

poppabk said:
If it makes sense for gamespy or some other external company why not for Valve? They already provide steamworks integration for free to PC developers, the titles don't even have to be available through the steam store.
They don't have to, but does anyone not do it? It's pretty much assumed you'll use it. Steam is the biggest retailer of PC games. Of course you want your product there. If you cared enough about your audience to include Steamworks, you'll care enough to have it on the store (assuming it's not rejected). This is the whole impetus for Steamworks. It's an incentive to get people using Steam and the store (where the money is then made).

It makes more sense for Gamespy because a contract means more. For Valve it would mean bolstering a competitor and talking away focus/resources from something they own and are growing (Steam). I'm sure there's a dollar figure that would make sense, but it wouldn't be cheap.
 

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
richisawesome said:
Wait, what the fuck is this?

ehh. 'FEEL' sounds pretty fucking lame.
I don't think it's more terrible than Cafe. What the hell does Cafe even mean in relative terms? And feel might actually hold some meaning.

edit: See above. Could be cool.
 
EvilMario said:
It would be interesting technology, but I can't see how it would aid gameplay in too many traditional titles.
It's conceptually much better suited for a handheld, and it'd be better off being saved until the tech advances to the point where including it in a mobile device is viable.
 
Feel is no more ridiculous than Wii. Better, I'd say. Definitely better than Cafe.

Who really gives a shit anyway. People only care about the name before the console is released, after that it could be called Shitbox and nobody would care.
 
Foliorum Viridum said:
Feel is no more ridiculous than Wii. Better, I'd say. Definitely better than Cafe.

Who really gives a shit anyway. People only care about the name before the console is released, after that it could be called Shitbox and nobody would care.
+1
 
Disorientator said:
"Wii" didn't piss you off?
The "Wii" name didn't piss me off, but I don't think I like "feel". For one thing, it's too similar to the "touch" branding that they pushed earlier, so to me it seems very "samey". It's also too common of a word, I think. "Stream" (for instance) is also a real word in the English language, but at least it's not already used by everyone, everyday, everywhere.

However, the name isn't that important in the grand scheme of things.
 
1-D_FTW said:
It makes more sense for Gamespy because a contract means more. For Valve it would mean bolstering a competitor and talking away focus/resources from something they own and are growing (Steam). I'm sure there's a dollar figure that would make sense, but it wouldn't be cheap.
For Valve it means name recognition with a huge game playing audience who also register for accounts on their service and can now cross chat and in some cases play games online with people on PC. Its free advertising in the hundreds of million dollars worth. The more likely reason for it not to happen is Nintendo being afraid of Valve not vice versa.
 
Log4Girlz said:
And a strong indicator that they're making it up IMO. But hey if it turns out true that's cool too, I just don't believe it :p
I know I can't prove anything right here on the spot, but I can say that this site doesn't just post random stuff as news. This is rather something...
 
NINTENDO feel

Just what 3rd parties were waiting for!

...

You guys realize there's no fucking way they're calling the system that, right? I could possibly see that as a line of games (if the haptic screen is true), similar to Touch Generations, but... that's about it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.