• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

bananas

Banned
The GameCube controller had an itty bitty dpad, and itty bitty C-Stick, which were much too small for my bronormous hands.

MisterHero

GC controller was amazing except for the d-pad placement.

Sometimes I wish the classic controller was N64 controller-shaped

Vinci

Danish
Dissonance said:
Shit I didn't think it was possible to hate the Gamecube controller.

Hell, I didn't even like Nintendo all that much during the Gamecube generation, but my medium-sized hands, my little cousins' tiny hands, and my best friend's enormous hands - not a single one had any problems with it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Dead Man said:
And buttons.
I loved the secondary buttons orbiting the action button design. Making the 'cancel' button slightly different from the other orbiting buttons was fantastic design.

The triggers haven't been topped, as far as I'm concerned.

Everdred

Gamecube controller would have been better with a real joystick instead of C-Stick and a left bumper to match Z

Balb

MisterHero said:
GC controller was amazing except for the d-pad placement.

Sometimes I wish the classic controller was N64 controller-shaped

Yeah I wish Nintendo sold some official N64 Classic Controllers. Games like Star Fox 64 need it in my opinion. Of course, Nintendo would also have to release more N64 games on the Virtual Console to justify its existence.

TwinIonEngines said:
Ergonomic design is not either of those controllers' weak points. Their biggest problem was being significantly out of spec for the dominant software development paradigm.
Eh, Gamecube I could see because of lack of face buttons and an odd C-Stick thing as a second analog. However, the N64, though? It had a d-pad, two shoulders, six face buttons, and a z-trigger, plus analog. I think that was right in line with what software needed in that era.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Gamecube controller is probably the worst controller in the past 2 generations, in relative terms. A fair bit under the Wiimote/Nunchuck combo, which is pretty damn good.

Skiesofwonder said:
Posting prediction here for the potential lols in a few months
More like sweet vindication!! :)

- Cafe will not be the final name.
- Touch screen controller will have Biometric reading abilities built in.
- Half Life 3 (Episode 3) will be PC/Wii 2 exclusive.
- Wiimoteplus and Nunchuck (or updated version) included in package.
- Released in at LEAST one territory (Japan) Holiday 2011.
- $359.99
- Water-based IP from Miyamoto a launch title

Didn't know that Valve hated money

Emitan

lol at Half-Life 3 not being on PS3. You think Valve did all that work for Steam to be on PS3 for just one game?

Balb

enzo_gt said:
Gamecube controller is probably the worst controller in the past 2 generations, in relative terms. A fair bit under the Wiimote/Nunchuck combo, which is pretty damn good.

Seriously? Worse than both of the original Xbox controllers?

Vinci

Danish
alr1ghtstart said:
The gamecube controller might be nice if you have the hands of a child.

Then either you or my best friend was holding it wrong. He's Andre the Giant size, and he adored the thing. I kid you not.

MisterHero

From The Dust said:
then where would you put the second thumbstick?
the c-buttons were perfect for camera control (unless you get into analogue aiming and etc.)

but like I said, I only wish for it sometimes. sometimes because of N64 games, and sometimes because the D-pad is nice and big, and has a nice spot for itself

enzo_gt said:
aside from the d-pad, the Wavebird is probably the best wireless controller that isn't the Wii/nunchuck combo

Boney said:
make it like a cross

hell yeah!

that makes no sense child

MisterHero said:
the c-buttons were perfect for camera control

but like I said, I only wish for it sometimes. sometimes because of N64 games, and sometimes because the D-pad is nice and big, and has a nice spot for itself

S&P was a bitch to complete

Neiteio

Keep your fingers crossed for:

STREAM

- PIKMIN 3 - Captain Olimar returns in high-definition! Pointer and touchscreen controls rival a PC mouse and keyboard, ideal for real-time strategy. The quantum leap in horsepower packs more Pikmin, detail, etc, onscreen at once, and in HD it's crisp and clear, even from afar. A separate co-op campaign, local split-screen and online, lets two players work together, each with their own army of 100 Pikmin.

- F-ZERO NEXT - Captain Falcon is back in the fast lane, leapfrogging Wii to the next generation on Stream! At a blazing 60 frames per second in 1080p, the game is sensory overload, with 30 racers vying for victory on richly detailed tracks. Online play, vehicle customization, a full-blown track editor via touchscreen and the return of Death Race round out the game.

- STAR FOX ARMADA - Fox McCloud is back to thwart Andross in an all-new adventure developed by Treasure, whose shoot-'em-up skills make for a compelling arcade experience in 60 fps, 1080p HD. All missions are either on-rails or on-rails/free-range, featuring the Arwing, Landmaster, Blue Marine, and a new bipedal mech inspired by the unreleased Star Fox II on Super NES. Also included is open-world local and online multiplayer.

- ETERNAL DARKNESS II - Retro Studios helms a high-definition sequel to Silicon Knights' critically acclaimed 2002 GCN game, now with integrated Vitality Sensor support for biometric-enhanced gameplay, and pointer, motion and touch control for immersive puzzle-solving and combat. The intricate plot follows the machinations of the "corpse god" Mantorok after his fellow Ancients have been destroyed, in a tale that once again spans the ages, including chapters set during the Salem Witch Trials and Nazi Germany. The game monitors the player's pulse and even pupil dilation in deciding when to trigger sanity effects, as well as their degree and duration.

PLUS: Miyamoto's all-new character-driven, water-based IP, codenamed MERMAIDS, and the stunning revelation of Rockstar North's GRAND THEFT AUTO V, exclusive to Stream.

SIDE NOTE:

RE: F-ZERO NEXT: track editor: Using the touchscreen in the control pad, first players draw a closed circuit on a 2D plane. Then, viewing the circuit at a 3D angle, the player pinches and pulls portions of the track to form inclines and declines, adding elevation. Players can also remove portions of the track for gaps, steps, jumps and drop-offs; make the track tubular or hollow; add banked curves, quarter-pipes, half-pipes, corkscrews and loop de loops; crisscross tracks or make them parallel; apply stretches of ice, rough patches, fire and minefields; and add bumpers, boost strips and energy strips, all by simply touching the screen.

During gameplay on the TV, the touchscreen displays the track layout, poll position and rearview mirror. When away from the TV, streaming from the console to the controller, the touchscreen condenses the TV’s 1080p image for gaming in and around the household. In local split-screen multiplayer, the touchscreen can also display the game proper, giving each player a perfect view no matter where they sit.

[/dreamy sigh]

Dissonance said:
Shit I didn't think it was possible to hate the Gamecube controller.

I can understand complains about the shitty d-pad and perhaps the odd button placement, but I've never heard anyone say it's uncomfortable before.

Gvaz

Banned
Vinci said:
The GameCube controller was friggin' comfortable as hell, for myself and everyone I played it with. What on earth are your hands like?
Apparently bigger than yours.

it was way too cramped and shaped funny.

CoffeeJanitor said:
I think that's tied with the 360 controller for comfort

No way, that controller is comfortable as hell.

I actually secretly want the original xbox controller back, shit was super comfy.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
MadraptorMan said:
What if the controllers worked like Onlive and use an ad-hoc connection?
Wouldn't surprise me.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I hope they think that controller is the closest mock-up due to the button/stick layout and not the design.

I am not sure about this :/

I won't make any judgments until the console is officially revealed, of course, but the leaked info/rumors have me feeling concerned about the hardware design choices on this one...

Vanille said:
That would be an extremely lame surprise. Blu-Ray support should go without saying.

It really should, and I am worried that they'll go with another proprietary format.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Balb said:
Seriously? Worse than both of the original Xbox controllers?
Okay the Duke was much, much worse, forgot about that. But the controller S absolutely shits on the GC pad. It was like a beta for the best gaming controller, the 360 one.

Balb

Billychu said:
GTA V is an exclusive now, too? You people...honestly.

Yeah, seriously. Also, I don't think Nintendo would be allowed to make another Eternal Darkness without SK and vice versa.

Boney

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
I can understand complains about the shitty d-pad and perhaps the odd button placement, but I've never heard anyone say it's uncomfortable before.
I've heard it from friends that touched it like once every 6 months back in 2003-4

antonz

A Nintendo made form of Blu Ray should be the no brainer thing but I do worry they will try to stick with DVD again which would be a huge mistake. You can bet your ass MS will be Blu Ray in the Xbox3 and obviously PS4 will use it.

Neiteio

From The Dust said:
sounds like you are hoping to see God as well
Would be a nice bonus!

Also, to the fellow who said Nintendo can't make Eternal Darkness without SK: I'm pretty sure they can, as Nintendo renewed the trademark not too long ago.

And I'll soften my best-case scenario re: GTA to be that it's a timed Stream exclusive. ;)

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Vanille said:
That would be an extremely lame surprise. Blu-Ray support should go without saying.

I highly doubt they're going with anything other than a DVD9. I'd love to be surprised, but I won't expect it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom