• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Fit U | OT | Don't Forget to Breathe!

maxcriden

It's been a while since I've done anything with the board, but I wear my Fit Meter every day. I just finished Machu Picchu for the elevation. I've finished everything lower than it as well and about half-way through Italy for the distance too.

Edit: Also, clicked the photo. Why the warning?

Oh, just in the sense that I typically am not a particularly handsome fellow, and I look even worse than usual. You won't see me in that "rate my looks" thread. ;)

Anyway, thanks for reading my lengthy post and I plan to jump back in this evening.

Also... Maybe I'm just in deep denial over this weight gain but I look at myself in the mirror and I don't seem a whole 20 lbs heavier to me. Maybe 5-10 tops. So I'm wondering if the Wii Fit Board is malfunctioning due to lower batteries or something. But its probably just denial mixed with the difficulty of perceiving a weight gain in oneself in the mirror.

So. The puzzle squash, hula hoop and rowing, et al., are only half the battle. While I'm doing Wii Fit U I need to be on myself to not do the "easy" exercises that don't get you sweating. Outside of the game I need to be eating better. No more oreos. No more ice cream. The way I've been tricking myself I think is that I eat plenty of healthy food but also lately (a) don't cook enough and food out is almost always worse for you and (b) eat plenty of not so good for you foods, too. Ok, being honest with myself: plenty of junk. Ice cream is not my friend. Korean baked goods might appear fanciful but are probably terrible for me. I don't eat a lot of red meat but I could stand to eat even less. :/

Blegh. Okay. Feeling a bit bummed about this but...onward and upward. Thanks to any who read this, I appreciate you taking the time.

Cutting back on eating stuff is one thing, but it's more important that you balance it out with actual exercise

iphys

My Fit Meter is on its 3rd battery now since this came out. Looks like I'm averaging about 10 months per battery, and that's with the sound turned off.

maxcriden

I did play some tonight. 30 mins. My current goal is to beat the Adv. Puzzle Squash...just to rally through a whole five minute set without losing. So, getting nearer to that I think but not there yet, so that encompassed most of my exercise. Felt good and exhilarating. :)

Miletius

There an active GAF community for this? I saw the community tag but I am wondering if people are still around in there. I got myself this because 25 dollars for the board and game seemed like a fun diversion, but it seems like most people are cheating with in the gym I joined for points.

I consider myself active and pretty fit, but not competitive if anybody wants to be friends. Since Wii Fit U uses BMI my avatar looks bad. :(

Oh, just in the sense that I typically am not a particularly handsome fellow, and I look even worse than usual. You won't see me in that "rate my looks" thread. ;)

Anyway, thanks for reading my lengthy post and I plan to jump back in this evening.

Also... Maybe I'm just in deep denial over this weight gain but I look at myself in the mirror and I don't seem a whole 20 lbs heavier to me. Maybe 5-10 tops. So I'm wondering if the Wii Fit Board is malfunctioning due to lower batteries or something. But its probably just denial mixed with the difficulty of perceiving a weight gain in oneself in the mirror.

I was happy to see the thread getting use, of course I read your post, lol.

20 lbs is hard to see sometimes, it depends on your body type and where it's being stored.

There an active GAF community for this? I saw the community tag but I am wondering if people are still around in there. I got myself this because 25 dollars for the board and game seemed like a fun diversion, but it seems like most people are cheating with in the gym I joined for points.

I consider myself active and pretty fit, but not competitive if anybody wants to be friends. Since Wii Fit U uses BMI my avatar looks bad. :(

Yep. I use the Fit Meter to track my distance and elevation gains on my runs.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/titles/14866558073081608988/14866558073082078782

maxcriden

I was happy to see the thread getting use, of course I read your post, lol.

20 lbs is hard to see sometimes, it depends on your body type and where it's being stored.

Thanks man. Well, I ended up doing WFU for a week or so and then got a recumbent exercise bike on craigslist. Now I'm doing 45 mins on that 1x weekday 2x weekend day, and that seems to be going okay so far. Hoping to see results sooner rather than laterBut I know I can't rush it too much. Definitely eating healthier too.

I'm happy to catch some activity in here. I just started using Wii Fit U in the last week alongside a new diet, and I've been enjoying it a lot more than I expected. I didn't expect too much activity considering how late to the party I am. I'm setting up the community deal right now.

Thanks man. Well, I ended up doing WFU for a week or so and then got a recumbent exercise bike on craigslist. Now I'm doing 45 mins on that 1x weekday 2x weekend day, and that seems to be going okay so far. Hoping to see results sooner rather than laterBut I know I can't rush it too much. Definitely eating healthier too.
Yeah, just remember that you can't expect to see major improvements happen rapidly. It takes time. Get your routine going and make it a normal part of your day, something that happens automatically. Then one day a month or so from now you'll suddenly realize "Oh wow, I'm looking good" when you see yourself in the mirror. A lot of people do daily weight checks and get frustrated by the body's natural weight fluctuations and quit before any actual progress is made.

Keep up the good work and remember, exercise should become something you do automatically, the only way to get there is to set a schedule and stick to it as best you can. Work on rhythmic breathing while in the bike or running. When you focus on your breathing, long runs can feel like a form of meditation, its strangely relaxing despite the physical exertion. Eat healthy. Drink lots of water. Avoid sugary drinks like sodas, Gatorade, and Powerade, etc. If you do feel the need for an electrolite drink, mix it half/half with water. It's much better for you that way and you get much less sugar.

Also, avoid "low fat" "reduced fat" and "fat free" products. They remove fat, but fat tasted good, so in order to correct the taste they load the food down with salt and sugar until the taste comes back. It's MUCH healthier to just eat full fat foods. You'll also feel full longer because it takes longer to digest the fats, so you'll be less tempted to snack.

Apologies if it's a bit late to bump this thread, but I've hit this kind of obsessive point with the Rock Climbing game. I've been trying to figure out what the best reasonable score is - I've gotten it down to 2:08.53, but I figure some crazy speed runner is closer to 1:30. I know if I'm on point and not fighting the wiimote sensors being weird / grip auto correction garbage I could probably get it down to 2:05.

Any ideas? Been searching around for any sort of videos or even anyone posting records at all, but no luck.

ramparter

Banned
Since I plugged my board in my Wii U and played again Wii Fit Plus I thought of getting this. Is the upgrade worth it?
I can find the game and meter for less than 15€ but I wish the digital game was cheaper so I don't have to use the disc every time.

zigg

Since I plugged my board in my Wii U and played again Wii Fit Plus I thought of getting this. Is the upgrade worth it?
I can find the game and meter for less than 15€ but I wish the digital game was cheaper so I don't have to use the disc every time.
Shame they quit offering the "free" version that unlocks with the meter

ramparter

Banned
I understand that was a promotion but they could have at least reduced the game's price for the digital version, it's been 3+ years, we have games like Mario 3d world and Wind Waker price dropped. Looked a bit around the internet, cdkeys have it for 32€, Cant find the pal version anywhere else.

Anyway is the game significantly evolved over Wii Fit Plus?

Feffe

I hope someone is still playing Wii Fit and can answer my question. I fear the preassure sensor looks like isn't calibrated properly. This is a pic I took while I wasn't on the balance board
WVW69khp9A86-fe6yB
Sometimes the red circle is still in the yellow area, but still slightly in the upper left. I suppose it should be in the center of the area?

EDIT: From another exercise

zigg

I understand that was a promotion but they could have at least reduced the game's price for the digital version, it's been 3+ years, we have games like Mario 3d world and Wind Waker price dropped. Looked a bit around the internet, cdkeys have it for 32€, Cant find the pal version anywhere else.

Anyway is the game significantly evolved over Wii Fit Plus?
I know you're not in the US, but Nintendo's online store here has been selling the physical version with a balance board and a Fit Meter for $25 for a long time now. https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/p...lse&productId=prod150207&categoryId=cat870086 Is that happening in Europe at all?

It does seem kind of crazy that you can't just get the game as an upgrade cheaply anymore (which is what the version I have—a download that unlocked with the $20 Fit Meter—amounted to.) That was a good deal.

Having played Plus a lot, I don't think there was a lot that U offered above and beyond. It actually shipped with a worse workout mode, not automatically moving between exercises, so you had to keep picking up the GamePad. That's been patched, at least.

The most value I get out of U (now, at least—I did use the Fit Meter for awhile) is the fact that it's installed on my system and doesn't require loading a disc every morning. I don't mind discs at all for games, but for the drop-in drop-out ten-minute morning weigh-in and exercise, this format works much better.

I hope someone is still playing Wii Fit and can answer my question. I fear the preassure sensor looks like isn't calibrated properly. This is a pic I took while I wasn't on the balance board

Sometimes the red circle is still in the yellow area, but still slightly in the upper left. I suppose it should be in the center of the area?
I believe there's a test function in the settings that can identify if there's a problem with your board. If it is broken, and isn't still under warranty, and you're in the US, I'd just get the $25 U set I linked above. Brand-new board, brand-new Meter, disc copy of the game for whatever reason, and you're good.

Top Bottom