• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Remote questions answered including calibration and sensor bar placement

ShinNL

I still don't understand why I haven't heard about this more often.

The Wii was supposed to be made for casuals.

Have you seen casuals use a PC? Unlike you or me, they can't quickly move their pointer to a pop-up window and click the X to close it. To circle strafe in spirals and 5 seconds later they'll click advertisement pop-ups away.

How can I play the next Duckhunt (you know how BIG this is??) if it has a worse control scheme than the original Duckhunt?

Aaargh.

Put in calibration Nintendo, or else... :mad:

Fallofmart said:
Uhh... me... I never look down the sight...
Yes, but you still aim at the object on the screen right? Of course you do, because light guns don't work the same way mice do. Unfortunately, the remote currently works like a mouse. Easy problem to fix, if Nintendo would just do it already.

AndoCalrissian said:
Yes, but you still aim at the object on the screen right? Of course you do, because light guns don't work the same way mice do. Unfortunately, the remote currently works like a mouse. Easy problem to fix, if Nintendo would just do it already.

What I mean is that I know where the gun will shoot because of the relative position of where I shot last time, I just think that the remote might be easy enough to get used to because of this.

Might be completely wrong though.

Saoh

Wario64 said:
You recharge it when you're not playing?

what if batteries run out WHILE im playing? should i stop playing because i need to recharge or because i cant move properly with a wire attached?

god knows i forget to charge my cellphone or ipod.

Fallofmart said:
What I mean is that I know where the gun will shoot because of the relative position of where I shot last time, I just think that the remote might be easy enough to get used to because of this.

Might be completely wrong though.
While that's true, that requires getting used to something that should be very intuitive. In a light gun game you see something on the screen and you shoot it. That's what should happen with Wii light gun games as well.

SantaC

we're sure the sensor bar doesn't have to be immediately next to your TV. We played Wii on a Projector screen and the sensor bar was simply placed in a table in front of the player. That worked fine - just as long as the remote can see the sensor bar when it is pointed in the direction of the display.

am I the only one who see this as great news? I remember there was a lot of sensor bar bitching back at E3, but seems that Nintendo ironed out the problems.

edit: and I already have rechargable AA batteries I can use so not problem for me.

shuri

Banned
civilstrife said:
I think Light gun games have been doomed for a while across the board due to HDTV and whatnot.

They'll probably be more along the lines of "point and click" on Wii.
I've been using the LCD TOPGUN (cost: 29$US) i got from playasia on my hdtv with the censors that you place on each side of my widescreen tv just fine...House of the dead 3 and time Crisis looks ace on it..

You calibrate it by pointing at the center, then upper left, upper right, lower left and right and it just works with any type of display, PERFECTLY.

The wiimote has no reason for this. That lightgun is 29$ and was made a by a hk company for gods sake!

yeah surley developers will eventually let you calibrate it so it acts more like a lightgun. I think nintendo loves things being easy and uncomplicated so maybe thats why they arnt choosing that route every time u want to play it.

shuri said:
I've been using the LCD TOPGUN (cost: 29$US) i got from playasia on my hdtv with the censors that you place on each side of my widescreen tv just fine...House of the dead 3 and time Crisis looks ace on it..

You calibrate it by pointing at the center, then upper left, upper right, lower left and right and it just works with any type of display, PERFECTLY.

The wiimote has no reason for this. That lightgun is 29$ and was made a by a hk company for gods sake!
Bingo.

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
shuri said:

Right, the same type of system and calibration the Phillips CD-I used for their Peace Keeper Revolver. Any chance they have a patent?

The only problem is that you are then calibrated for that specific place in space - move your seating poisition over, change your grip, arm gets tired and you want to aim lower, lean forward etc... and you would need to recalibrate or find that position. Can the wiimote correct that flaw with some of it's additional features?

Glass Joe

i don't know if i'm oversimplifying... but i cannot think of a logical reason why the Wii could not act as a light gun if it asked you to calibrate by aiming at the bottom left corner of the screen followed by the top right. simple math can figure out the rectangular field, especially with two additional corners and center calibration to fix human aiming error.

edit: i suppose the player would have to be in a fixed position and require a brief set-up, which is why nintendo chose not to use this technique on a showroom floor with many moving people.

edit 2: i take that back, the sensor itself & gyros will tell the system that you've moved and react accordingly.

Jonnyram

This may sound like bad news but think about it - if you were to connect your controller to the console and play at the same time, with the whole motion thing going on, you are likely pull your console over and send it crashing to the floor. That would be a serious design flaw on Nintendo's part.
This is a really poor excuse. Why not just give it rechargeable batteries and let people charge it when they're not playing? It doesn't have to be a play & charge kit like 360 - there could just be some nice charging stand or something. Noone's gonna play for 30 hours straight.

Sunski

All they have to do for Light Gun games is ask you to click the Trigger whilst aiming (without cursor - but with your eyesight) at each corner of your screen and then the centre. This would create a virtual screen for the controller to work with. The majority of games are better off acting as a virtual mouse.

ninge

yeah as some people already pointed out i see no reason why a basic bit of calibration and some math can't be used to turn the pointer into a lightgun should you require it in a particular game.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Jonnyram said:
This is a really poor excuse. Why not just give it rechargeable batteries and let people charge it when they're not playing? It doesn't have to be a play & charge kit like 360 - there could just be some nice charging stand or something. Noone's gonna play for 30 hours straight.

because you can already do that with a recharge kit from radio shack and the like. unless you really need official rechargeable batteries, i dont see how this matters.

quetz67

Banned
ninge said:
yeah as some people already pointed out i see no reason why a basic bit of calibration and some math can't be used to turn the pointer into a lightgun should you require it in a particular game.
I do agree, but still this leaves me with the feeling they havent really thought this out completely.

When I first read about the Wiimote and sensor bar, I was sure they just detect the spatial position of the two ends of the Wiimote to get all info they need, but the way they do it is pretty complicated and error prone.

Sunski

quetz67 said:
I do agree, but still this leaves me with the feeling they havent really thought this out completely.

When I first read about the Wiimote and sensor bar, I was sure they just detect the spatial position of the two ends of the Wiimote to get all info they need, but the way they do it is pretty complicated and error prone.

No, the way they are using it allows you to play without having to always rely on pointing at the screen.

Lets put it this way - If the tech acted by pointing at the screen ONLY that would be it. JUST THAT.

They have designed it to point at the sensor bar allows precision Virtual Mouse control AND Screen pointing if a dev adds calibration tools.

quetz67

Banned
Sunski said:
No, the way they are using it allows you to play without having to always rely on pointing at the screen.

Lets put it this way - If the tech acted by pointing at the screen ONLY that would be it. JUST THAT.

They have designed it to point at the sensor bar allows precision Virtual Mouse control AND Screen pointing if a dev adds calibration tools.
You did not understand me. I dont talk about something optical. I was talking about measuring the distance of the two ends of the Wiimote to 2 points on the sensor bar and one in the Wii (something like the way GPS works)

the sensor bar doesn't sense anything. it's just two lights. the wiimote doesn't know the difference between being pointed to the right at an angle, or physically moved sideways to the right.

for menus and stuff, there's no reason why you'd want the pointer to work as a lightgun does, for one. for two, it doesn't have any sights.

when they put out that gun add on, things may be a little different, but i'm pleased enough just to hear that they've got it set up now that you just point at the center of your TV. that at the very least fixes the 'you don't aim at the screen but the sensor bar!' issue so many people seem to have had at press events.

the wiimote is like aiming from the hip with a gun with a laser sight on it in it's current implementations. i'm sure we'll all be able to adjust just fine very rapidly.

Top Bottom